• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

This game does not work well with certain drives... specifically the audio stutters like crazy the entire time. Everything everyone says either gets cut off or repeated, and it basically makes the game unplayable.

I've been asking around, and it seems like it's some issue with some cache/buffer speed mostly specific to 500gb drives (for some reason).

Just wondering if anyone who's also got a 500gb drive is seeing these problems.

noah111

Still Alive
shattyboombatty said:
This game does not work well with certain drives... specifically the audio stutters like crazy the entire time. Everything everyone says either gets cut off or repeated, and it basically makes the game unplayable.

I've been asking around, and it seems like it's some issue with some cache/buffer speed mostly specific to 500gb drives (for some reason).

Just wondering if anyone who's also got a 500gb drive is seeing these problems.
Wow, that's odd. I remember my friend telling me the same thing months ago about KZ2 as well, but he doesn't have a 500GB HDD, I believe his is only 320.. What kind of drive do you have exactly (made by whom etc)?

I didn't think a drive would have this kind of effect... weird. Only happens with KZ2 right?

RefigeKru

Banned
That's an odd problem, it's happened to Garza's speech twice on my current runthrough and I'm on a 80gig PS3. But then it's Garza, nobody likes Garza.

Anyway, I've been lurking for a while now. European player here, any way I could get some games against you guys? I haven't got a mic, unfortunately.

Sentry said:
Wow, that's odd. I remember my friend telling me the same thing months ago about KZ2 as well, but he doesn't have a 500GB HDD, I believe his is only 320.. What kind of drive do you have exactly (made by whom etc)?

I didn't think a drive would have this kind of effect... weird. Only happens with KZ2 right?

Yeah it only happens in KZ... all other games, and everything else works fine. I also had no idea a drive would have this kind of effect, but it seems similar to the issues with installing halo3 to the 360 hdd. Assuming the drive is not broken, It's gotta be some weird caching issue.

This is the type of drive I've got:

Seagate momentus:
500gb
8Mb cache
5400rpm

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MTWSLW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

noah111

Still Alive
shattyboombatty said:
Yeah it only happens in KZ... all other games, and everything else works fine. I also had no idea a drive would have this kind of effect, but it seems similar to the issues with installing halo3 to the 360 hdd. Assuming the drive is not broken, It's gotta be some weird caching issue.

This is the type of drive I've got:

Seagate momentus:
500gb
8Mb cache
5400rpm

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001MTWSLW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Alright, great. I'll contact my mate later and see if he has similar specifications and whatnot, and get back to you.

tfur

I need a few people in the GAF clan to kindly add me to their friends list, since the GAFe clan is full. I do not have a lot of time now since we just had a baby, but when I do, I would like to play a few guaranteed decent games.

I almost strangled someone through my controller last night, because of a shitty tactician. Me and another dude were swapping between tactician and medic. We were controlling the map, everything all good, for quite a few games. Then the next game, some twat decides to be a tactician and basically looses the game for us by hogging the spawns.

icechai

Kittonwy said:
Good job there, they probably thought they were going to crush us but we beat them, not sure how we pulled off bodycount, it was funny when we won though.
Indifferent2.gif

bodycount is actually easier to win if you have less people. You have more people to kill, they have less. Couple that with skill and usually the outnumbered good team always wins bodycount.

also think having a weapon pop up in the middle of the map is a great idea, its taken straight out of the BFG era :p

Dementia

Edgeward said:
I would say for that to try to ignore the other weapons and stick to your rifle for the most part. Except on occasion when you have to use one of the rockets littered along the way to take out the guys in the towers. Also I think that part suffers from CoD4 infinite respawn so pressing forward when the opportunity presents itself is very much key. If I'm even thinking of the correct level you are describing. :lol

bcn-ron said:
Snipe anything you can from within the building, then switch back to the M82. Rush outside behind the tank, circle-strafe and mow the two dudes down that should already be close to your convoy, then dash behind one of the pillars on the right side of the bridge for cover. Take it slow from there.

Thanks for the tips guys. I took a break for a few hours, came back and made it through that section on my second try. I ended up hanging back by the tank for the first wave, and then rushed forward towards the pillar. Fortunately it seemed like there were no infinite respawns in that section.

I'm now up to Visari Palace in my Elite runthrough, and while for the most part I've had a blast so far, I feel like these next couple sections are going to be miserable. I remember having a lot of trouble completing them even on normal (never did a veteran run). Oh well, I'll see how it goes.:D

Anybody else playing right now? I'm doing some bodycount matches, swapping the controller over with my mate after every round, any of GAFfers playing?

Prezhulio

i'm really thinking about buying the map packs but am trying to hold off till the bundle is out. i played a lot when it first came out and have been playing recently and loving the new balancing stuff.

Dementia said:
Thanks for the tips guys. I took a break for a few hours, came back and made it through that section on my second try. I ended up hanging back by the tank for the first wave, and then rushed forward towards the pillar. Fortunately it seemed like there were no infinite respawns in that section.
Actually, the guys up in the towers at the far gate will respawn infinitely until you advance, but since you can eliminate everyone on the bridge itself and naturally would go forward, you probably wouldn't notice that. I only discovered it when I was specifically looking for infinite spawning in the game. (Confirmed: Salamun bridge part 1, the distant machine gunners are finite but the bridge surface guys are infinite until you advance; below Salamun bridge, the attackers are infinite until you advance; Salamun bridge part 2, the tower guys are infinite until you advance; Visari Palace courtyard you must advance to gradually shut off several successive infinite spawnpoints.)

Dementia

Wooooo! Just finished kicking Radec's ass on Elite. :D :D
Only took me like 40 tries... he crushed my soul :(

It was fun most of the time, and really made me appreciate the Helghast AI, but damn did it get frustrating having to repeat the same 2 minutes of gameplay 10 times during most major encounters (Visari Square, Salamun Bridge, tank on the fucking train).

To be honest though, it wasn't quite as difficult as I was expecting. It was definitely hard, but never really felt cheap. Even the final encounter. I've heard a lot of people bitching about the first part of the final battle and the conservative checkpoint system, but for me that was the easiest part. Overall I felt the increase in difficulty throughout the campaign was pretty well paced, and the checkpoint system fair, even in the last part.

With that said, I'm never going to do that again; too stressful.:lol

noah111

Still Alive
Dementia said:

It was fun most of the time, and really made me appreciate the Helghast AI, but damn did it get frustrating having to repeat the same 2 minutes of gameplay 10 times during most major encounters (Visari Square, Salamun Bridge, tank on the fucking train).

To be honest though, it wasn't quite as difficult as I was expecting. It was definitely hard, but never really felt cheap. Even the final encounter. I've heard a lot of people bitching about the first part of the final battle and the conservative checkpoint system, but for me that was the easiest part. Overall I felt the increase in difficulty throughout the campaign was pretty well paced, and the checkpoint system fair, even in the last part.

:lol Congrats! Feels good. :D

Only 40 tries? By the way, a great way to get through the part where you have 'multiple paths' to the palace doors, just RUN, you'll get to a checkpoint before you die (my friend showed me AFTER i beat the game :lol)

It never felt cheap for me either, except for the part where the pointy hat higgs with their knives and SMGs come in, felt a tad cheap at times..

Once Radec actually comes though, it's not too hard.

icechai

Dementia said:

this is coming from someone who has sunk how many hours into multiplayer? :p c'mon most people complaining just started with KZ2 and couldn't get used to the controls heh

oh gg tonight guys, damn you bajan for joining such long matches, ended playing 3 maps, and saw a whole lotta GAFers come :) won / drew them but i think its lack of focus cuz its so damn long as we're up 3 on every map, then we kind of putter.

Dementia

Sentry said:
:lol Congrats! Feels good. :D

Only 40 tries? By the way, a great way to get through the part where you have 'multiple paths' to the palace doors, just RUN, you'll get to a checkpoint before you die (my friend showed me AFTER i beat the game :lol)
Wish I had known that beforehand... that was probably the most difficult part of the game, especially that very last section. =/

icechai said:
this is coming from someone who has sunk how many hours into multiplayer? :p c'mon most people complaining just started with KZ2 and couldn't get used to the controls heh
A meager 175-ish... but still...:lol

Bajan32

icechai said:
oh gg tonight guys, damn you bajan for joining such long matches, ended playing 3 maps, and saw a whole lotta GAFers come :) won / drew them but i think its lack of focus cuz its so damn long as we're up 3 on every map, then we kind of putter.

haha for sure good games guys.. yeah i noticed that we'd dominate the 1st few rounds then just ran around after wards for sure. glad to see so many Gaffers pop in and put the other team to shame so much lol.

sorry i havent been there to lead u guys to victory lately but i lost my headset and its just not the same if i cant trash talk the whole game:lol :lol

Dementia said:

Radec's encounter on Elite is hard as SHIT, but oh man... once you clear it feels sooo satisfying.

-viper-

Banned
I found Visari Palace the hardest level on KZ2 Elite. That felt pretty frustrating, thanks to the constantly respawning enemies. Made the game feel so hard.

Radec fight wasn't too bad in comparison. Checkpoint system was slightly annoying, but I didn't die as many times and just felt so much more doable.

JMC

Banned
highluxury said:
Radec's encounter on Elite is hard as SHIT, but oh man... once you clear it feels sooo satisfying.

I managed to reach Radec on Veteran, but couldn't push past him. I had to knock down the difficulty a notch. :( The campaign was an absolute blast up to that point; challenging, but never unforgiving.

ShinAmano

So I just beat the game last night...did anyone else feel that after the awesome final level of the game the ending was complete crap?
You don't get to kill Radiac(sp?) and then king of fuck ups Rico goes and kills the whole target of the game. After which the reinforcements just happen to be flying over...lame.

ShinAmano said:
So I just beat the game last night...did anyone else feel that after the awesome final level of the game the ending was complete crap?
You don't get to kill Radiac(sp?) and then king of fuck ups Rico goes and kills the whole target of the game. After which the reinforcements just happen to be flying over...lame.
I actually liked the original spoilers ending I heard on /v/ more than the actual ending. Before the game came out everyone was going around trolling saying that you and everyone you're with dies at the end of the game in a bombing run after getting to Visari.

But hey, this ending sets up Killzone 3 as either a desperate struggle agains the Helghast using Guerilla tactics OR better yet, a Killzone game from the perspective of the Helghast.

ShinAmano

Magemasher13 said:
I actually liked the original spoilers ending I heard on /v/ more than the actual ending. Before the game came out everyone was going around trolling saying that you and everyone you're with dies at the end of the game in a bombing run after getting to Visari.

But hey, this ending sets up Killzone 3 as either a desperate struggle agains the Helghast using Guerilla tactics OR better yet, a Killzone game from the perspective of the Helghast.
That would have been a better ending...as I did not think any of the characters were that memorable.

That said I dont think I would like to play as the Helghast...to me they were Nazi without being called that (felt like fighting future nazi the whole game). I would rather just have them as fodder.

I find myself frequently thinking, as I listen to Visari's speeches, that if I had a leader that would speak like that, I would gladly fight in a war to the death.

Really, just the intro video of KZ2 makes me want to fight for the helghast instead of the ISA. And if you read the timeline on killzone.com, the Higs are actually pretty justified in their war, considering how the UCA raped them time and time again. And also, if you read through the timeline, really the only thing that is remotely Naziish about the Higs is that Visari preaches they are a superior race. None of the religious hate, racism, or propaganda signature of the Nazi's. So yeah, I wouldn't mind fighting agains the ISA, considering they STOLE Vekta from the Helghast, and are now invading their homeworld.

Really, if anything, the conflict between the ISA and the Higs is more akin to Israel against Palestine than Axis powers against Nazis.

That paralles IS NOT PERFECT, before any of you get all pissy, its just CLOSER, thats all.

Lets hope they make use of deferred rendering. I say the biggest innovation of KZ2, more than teh FPV cover system, the volumetric smoke effected by the environment, the groundbreaking use of surround sound for immersion and the incredible AI, was the fact that they pioneered deferred rendering using the Cell, officially making this game impossible on the 360.

I tried using the STa14 when I was getting the Sab badge. I'm simply too much of an up an close player to succeed with that gun. I'm not good at sniping, and that gun is really just a scopeless sniper rifle. Its neat that it always killsin two hits, but damn is it hard to use.

Yeah I never could get down the whole "stop moving to fire" thing. Circle strafing is in my BLOOD damnit. Plus there's the fact that I like getting close to take out guys, and running up, stopping, crouching, and firing against a guy using an M82 means death. The gun was designed for long range campers, snipers that don't like using the scope, and generally people that don't want to be in the middle of the action, but rather outside of it, poping heads.

I am not one of those people. I <3 my M82

Magemasher13 said:
I find myself frequently thinking, as I listen to Visari's speeches, that if I had a leader that would speak like that, I would gladly fight in a war to the death.

Especially because Brian Cox did an excellent job with the voice acting, he's got such a great commanding voice. Actually one of my favorite parts of the game was his presence. "and who are you! ...soldier."

Atrophis

I am experiencing some weird bug or has the online for this game died? I got a buddy over and i was gonna play a few rounds to show him the game and couldnt find any servers.

carlosp

Banned
Atrophis said:
I am experiencing some weird bug or has the online for this game died? I got a buddy over and i was gonna play a few rounds to show him the game and couldnt find any servers.

last time i played there been plenty of games and it was EU only. Just check the website. They tell you who many players are online right now.

Firewire

Banned
Atrophis said:

Tons of online games going on, you screwed up the search options most likely.

Atrophis said:
I was playing all night last night with a friend of mine, tons of servers. It was a little harder finding servers with the new maps, but other than that there were tons of games going on.

Can't wait for the new maps thursday! What day is it today?

Kittonwy

Banned
Dementia said:

Congrats.

Couldn't play last night, but I'll be on tonight.
Indifferent2.gif

Atrophis

Firewire said:
Tons of online games going on, you screwed up the search options most likely.

I know how to use a server browser :p I even tried with all search options on 'Any' and it only came up with 3 servers all with only 1 player. Sod knows!

This will contain some minor fixes for some glitches that came up in Visari Palace after 1.28.

kz.com said:
Some of you may have experienced issues with the Visari Palace mission from the Killzone 2 campaign mode after installing patch 1.28. We've received reports of crashes, graphical glitches and general progression issues - particularly when playing from a save game created before patch 1.28. The problem will be fixed with patch 1.29, which is due for release on Thursday , July 23 at 9:00 AM GMT.

Seems pretty minor, nothing to get excited about (unless they stealth fix the FUCKING BROKEN difficulty spike). Can't get a link right now, because the site seems to be down.

Magemasher13 said:
The gun was designed for long range campers, snipers that don't like using the scope, and generally people that don't want to be in the middle of the action, but rather outside of it, poping heads.

I am not one of those people. I <3 my M82
The M82 is just as good at popping heads from a distance. On Pyrrhus Rise I've used it to shoot the distance from one S&D target to the other and killed folks. If there's a good tactician on my team keeping up spawns, I'll use flank approaches or such distant kills to teach the enemy snipers they're not safe. It slows them down setting up their next nest. (Sometimes I don't bother, though; on PR the enemy sometimes tries to use too many snipers, which makes your team's job easier.)

I should try the StA-14. Coupled with the M4 you'd have options at all ranges. You're right that it's tough to switch away from the M82, though. That gun is so versatile!

Top Bottom