• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

acevans2

God DAMNIT, fuck Radec elite!

What an unfair piece of shit. If Rico would watch the other side of the balcony...

Ugh FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

I've been replaying Killzone 2 on elite and finally finished! Man that was tough, but amazing at the same time. I hadn't played the game in awhile and I was floored (again) by the graphics, the Radec fight was frustrating but after a few attempts I got the bastard! Overall I can't believe I don't replay this game more times.

acevans2

GoncaloCCastro said:
I've been replaying Killzone 2 on elite and finally finished! Man that was tough, but amazing at the same time. I hadn't played the game in awhile and I was floored (again) by the graphics, the Radec fight was frustrating but after a few attempts I got the bastard! Overall I can't believe I don't replay this game more times.
I hate you.

acevans2 said:
I hate you.

Are you stuck before the Radec fight or the fight itself? In the latter my tactic is the "cowardly girl" one, I just stick in that left side near the stairs and kill everyone from there.

In the Radec battle I just use the shotgun and hide in the alcove where you enter the room, if he uses the machine gun I shoot him with the revolver once he gets close I shotgun his behind!

Steroyd

acevans2 said:
God DAMNIT, fuck Radec elite!

What an unfair piece of shit. If Rico would watch the other side of the balcony...

Ugh FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUU

Stay by the stairs with the grenade launcher when that wave of enemies comes, that way they can't sneak up on you from the otherside, plus with the added insurance of Rico can die without giving you any problems.

Playing this on Recruit, almost feels like putting on a Godmode, some of these Helghast symbols are almost impossible to find without a walkthrough of some kind.

Can't believe it took me three playthroughs to realise how to keep my snipe scope still, they really need to drop the sniper tutorial in a more calm place than Visari Square. :lol

-viper-

Banned
lol, I hated Visari Palace on Elite. That was hell. I think I fluked my way to the Palace. The infinitely spawning enemies + machine gun guys + ATACs = WTF.

The second hardest part was before the rocket guys come. Afrer that, Elite wasn't so bad. But thanks to the retarded A.I. of your squad mates, I don't think I'll EVER replay the game on Elite.

So, I finally got the game and boy is this game overhyped. Clumsy control (I still don't get why you stay in scope mode when you hit the button, but can't crouch against a wall without keeping the button pressed...) and a gameplay that I sometimes found very unfair. E.g. you're right in an awesome shoot-out, finally reaching your target *BAM YOUR DEAD*, killed by a rocket from somewhere....

Or the fight against the ATTAC on the academy... Worst shit I've ever played.

And this game has some serious "hickups" while trying to load and playing.

Graf Nudu said:
So, I finally got the game and boy is this game overhyped. Clumsy control (I still don't get why you stay in scope mode when you hit the button, but can't crouch against a wall without keeping the button pressed...) and a gameplay that I sometimes found very unfair. E.g. you're right in an awesome shoot-out, finally reaching your target *BAM YOUR DEAD*, killed by a rocket from somewhere....

If your issue is the fact that you don't need to keep the button pressed to zoom, and not the cover thing, go to controls and select the "Hold to zoom" option.

The reasons why you can't just press the cover button once and stay in the cover were explained a long ago. Guerrilla explicitly said that they don't want KZ2 to be a pure cover shooter like Gears, and as such, the one button cover system was no acceptable, because it kills the intensity.

JB1981

How the hell did you guys beat this train level on elite? I'm on the part where you hop on the mounted gun on the tank and I'm getting murdered. The turret moves so slow when zoomed in, so I'm thinking the only surefire way to beat this sequence is to not zoom in .... the higs take a RIDICULOUS amount of bullets to go down on this difficulty. Any pointers people? (I also forgot how amazing the train level looks in SP OMGGG)

Killzone 2 still GFX king.

JB1981 said:
How the hell did you guys beat this train level on elite? I'm on the part where you hop on the mounted gun on the tank and I'm getting murdered. The turret moves so slow when zoomed in, so I'm thinking the only surefire way to beat this sequence is to not zoom in .... the higs take a RIDICULOUS amount of bullets to go down on this difficulty. Any pointers people? (I also forgot how amazing the train level looks in SP OMGGG)

Increase the sensitivity?
Use zoom to kill, then release the button, point it to another target, zoom again, kill, repeat.
I don't remember having problems with that part of the level.

JB1981

Lagspike_exe said:
Increase the sensitivity?
Use zoom to kill, then release the button, point it to another target, zoom again, kill, repeat.
I don't remember having problems with that part of the level.

I get pelted with Hig fire before I have time to really zoom in and aim, shit is crazy

Graf Nudu said:

Options menu, use it.

Steroyd

JB1981 said:

HUAHUAHUA! You're stuck on that part? The section just after it is 10x harder, my condolences on what you're about to do. :(

To do that part, DON'T ZOOM IN, and DON'T USE COVER, the shocktroopers are so fast, and they dodge roll, that by the time you animate in and animate out of cover they're hella close and hella accurate to kill you in a few seconds, Zooming slows you down to with the same end result, try and blow up all the explodables it'll get rid of their cover.

-viper-

Banned
JB1981 said:

I don't think you need to increase the sensitivity like others are suggesting. You just gotta mow them down without zooming in. There should be red barrels around there. Use them to your advantage.

For the bit after that, IMMEDIATELY grab a rocket launcher, and run all the way back to the tank. Mow down any enemies with the MG. Run back, shoot the tank with the rocket launcher. Rinse, and repeat.

JB1981

Steroyd said:
HUAHUAHUA! You're stuck on that part? The section just after it is 10x harder, my condolences on what you're about to do. :(

To do that part, DON'T ZOOM IN, and DON'T USE COVER, the shocktroopers are so fast, and they dodge roll, that by the time you animate in and animate out of cover they're hella close and hella accurate to kill you in a few seconds, Zooming slows you down to with the same end result, try and blow up all the explodables it'll get rid of their cover.

The part after was easier for me actually. The train level fucking sucked on elite. Super cheap.

Atrus

Gold Member
The train is much easier if you bring the bolt gun from the beginning of the section to the end while taking care not to use any of the ammo.

acevans2

JB1981 said:
The part after was easier for me actually. The train level fucking sucked on elite. Super cheap.
Did you get past it? Congrats! That part took me ages. So difficult.

I beat Radec on Elite, then swept the chapters that I had died in on Recruit (Easy) for the Untouchable trophy as well. On easy I almost solely used the knife. It's really fun to play the game that way after the constant stress of Elite mode.

Now all I need to do is destroy on the leech pods (is that hard?) and then get the MP trophies. I don't remember what made me go back to this game, but I'm so glad I did. Really fantastic game. Feels different enough from other FPSs that I can still see myself playing it after MW2, too.

Is it the game or the disc or why doesn't this game run smooth? There are quite a lot of situations where I move on to another section and the game freezes, loads and continues.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Graf Nudu said:

I can't agree with you more. The only thing I enjoyed about the game was its amazing graphics. I love shooters and it was some of the most boring and sluggish shit I ever played.

However, we probably shouldn't be talking about it in this thread or we will promptly be ousted by legions of KZ2 avatars and gif blasts!

Zen

Banned
Graf Nudu said:
Is it the game or the disc or why doesn't this game run smooth? There are quite a lot of situations where I move on to another section and the game freezes, loads and continues.
What Firmware are you on? 3.00 creates problems with Killzone 2 in terms of loading. Do the optional update to version 3.01 to clear it up.

-viper-

Banned
Zefah said:
I can't agree with you more. The only thing I enjoyed about the game was its amazing graphics. I love shooters and it was some of the most boring and sluggish shit I ever played.

However, we probably shouldn't be talking about it in this thread or we will promptly be ousted by legions of KZ2 avatars and gif blasts!
Okay then... :lol

Lince

Banned
Graf Nudu said:
How can I do so?

The PS3 has a special Recovery Menu, which you can access in the following way;:

1. Turn off Playstation 3.
2. Hold the power button down; the system will turn on and turn off once again.
3. Once the System has been shutdown, re-press you finger until you hear 2 consecutive beeps
4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off power button.
5. You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
6. The Recovery menu will pop up.

The current Recovery Menu supports:
• Restart System: Restarts the PLAYSTATION 3 System.
• Restore Default Settings: Reset all system settings back to default.
• Restore File System: Checks for corrupt/missing system files.
• Rebuild Database: Rebuilds the OS for the PLAYSTATION 3.
• Restore PS3 System: Fresh restore; Deletes everything and starts from Scratch.
• System Update: Update the PLAYSTATION 3 System

Select option "Rebuild Database".

don't know if this works with 3.00 / 3.01 though

JB1981

Hmm, boring is hardly the word I would use to describe this game. I haven't finished it on Elite yet but I would say this is one of the toughest, most physical, most muscular first-person shooters I've ever played. Every single encounter on Elite puts you through the ringer and the enemy AI shows great resourcefulness. I would say that the encounter after acquiring the Bolt Gun on Suleja Village was the toughest engagement that I have had with the enemy. I also appreciated how open the environment was and the more thoughtful change of pace.

I would like to KZ3 make a more concerted effort to have greater variation in tempo. This game tends to turn things into overdrive too often and overshoots its goals of maintaining such high levels of intensity. After a while you feel worn out by the whole affair and need to take a break from it all. I think this is why I enjoyed Suleja Village and the Sun Cruiser levels so much - they are not paced at such breakneck speeds and allow you time to think.

I still find it hard to believe how good this game looks.

Recently I played COD4 after a long absence and it was jarring how artificial the controls felt after getting used to KZ2.

It feels like your sliding on ice and everything is just too smooth..feels fake. It's definitely precise and fluid, and that's nice, but ultimately I prefer the weighty feel of KZ2 controls. It feels like your actually controlling a character, unlike COD which feels more like you're controlling a gun. My only complaint about KZ2 was the turning speed was too slow.

That's just my preference, if someone likes COD4 controls better that's fine, but it annoyed me how people didn't want to adapt because they wanted Killzone of Duty.

JB1981

The-Warning said:
Recently I played COD4 after a long absence and it was jarring how artificial the controls felt after getting used to KZ2.

It feels like your sliding on ice and everything is just too smooth..feels fake. It's definitely precise and fluid, and that's nice, but ultimately I prefer the weighty feel of KZ2 controls. It feels like your actually controlling a character, unlike COD which feels more like you're controlling a gun. My only complaint about KZ2 was the turning speed was too slow.

That's just my preference, if someone likes COD4 controls better that's fine, but it annoyed me how people didn't want to adapt because they wanted Killzone of Duty.

Yea they are very different feeling games. I personally would like a hybrid of them, there are pros and cons to each.

TTP summed up the feel of the controls in KZ 2 quite well in his review in the OP.

JB1981 said:
Yea they are very different feeling games. I personally would like a hybrid of them, there are pros and cons to each.

TTP summed up the feel of the controls in KZ 2 quite well in his review in the OP.

I just read it, and yep he summed it up perfectly. Btw I agree with you about tempo, this game could have used more quiet, tense moments to break up the action.

KZ2 still one of the most amazing visual packages. I think games like U2 and Crysis have better general IQ, but KZ2 has best all around level of detail and feel of any of them I think still. The way the smoke moves, all the little details, the ragdolls, etc all just gives it a very nice complete package of detail that I don't think any other game has done so far.

They delivered alot of good with KZ2, to me they mainly just disapointed on the somewhat mediocre campaign, which felt like another victim of trying to follow the COD formula of campaign design.... and way too short. KZ2 visuals with a KZ1 style of campaign would have been godly.

DigiMish

Just got on the KZ2 train - late I know. Beat the campaign on normal, now going through on elite and playing multiplayer at the same time.

Multiplayer is fun. It doesn't completely rip off COD, and earning 8x ribbons is fun for a shiny medal which gives a useful ability.

Classes definitely add to the mix of the gameplay, and being a medic is pure fun, running towards the green X's on your map:D

I gotta say though, out of all honesty - the single player campaign writing is one of the worst I've EVER encountered in a videogame. It's pure space marine filth. Shit this, fuck that. Jesus Christ, I get it - they're manly, alpha male space marines.

It was pathetic how they tried to make the death of Garza so epic and sad, when in reality it was laughable - I didn't give a fuck about him. And by the end of the game, I completely DESPISED Rico - what a tool.

It's just a shame - I remember a guy posting on GAF saying that he helped flesh out/write the storyline for Killzone 2 and it was this epic odyssey about the Helghan's problems and etc. But none of that made it in game. Just so sad.

But overall, aside from the ridiculous end boss (not looking forward to that on elite), and story, the game is definitely one of the best shooters this generation. So visceral.

Thrakier

FFObsessed said:
Remake confirmed.

Alert Kotaku!

Lazarevic2.jpg

DigiMish said:
Just got on the KZ2 train - late I know. Beat the campaign on normal, now going through on elite and playing multiplayer at the same time.

Multiplayer is fun. It doesn't completely rip off COD, and earning 8x ribbons is fun for a shiny medal which gives a useful ability.

Classes definitely add to the mix of the gameplay, and being a medic is pure fun, running towards the green X's on your map:D

I gotta say though, out of all honesty - the single player campaign writing is one of the worst I've EVER encountered in a videogame. It's pure space marine filth. Shit this, fuck that. Jesus Christ, I get it - they're manly, alpha male space marines.

It was pathetic how they tried to make .................... so epic and sad, when in reality it was laughable - I didn't give a fuck about him. And by the end of the game, I completely DESPISED Rico - what a tool.

It's just a shame - I remember a guy posting on GAF saying that he helped flesh out/write the storyline for Killzone 2 and it was this epic odyssey about the Helghan's problems and etc. But none of that made it in game. Just so sad.

But overall, aside from the ridiculous end boss (not looking forward to that on elite), and story, the game is definitely one of the best shooters this generation. So visceral.

I wouldn't say the writing is the worst ever, but I agree the characters and dialogue were way below the quality of the rest of the game. Especially Natko. Couldn't stand him :lol He was such a grumpy military badass cliche. At least he wasn't bald though. (edit: or was he? he always had that bandana on.)

Ken Masters said:
I was thinking of buying this game with the TRU sale, how have the patches changed the balance in the game? is it only MP changes?

The patches have heavily balanced and improved multiplayer. It's a much better experience than day 1.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
FFObsessed said:
Same here if it ever happened.
Booo booo :mad:

KZ3 and New IPs > Remakes.

Hey FFObsessed did you got a new PS3 ?

Top Bottom