• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

It's such a shame that Guerrila dropped the ball in regards to critics and so forth. The game was so nice after release and the MP was so rewarding *Chirp* I really hope that for KZ2, they take a step back and follow through with what they want to do now . Kz2 came and went and some valid problems were raised, they need to resolve those issues and broaden the scope of the MP.

The single player for the most part was great and I personally enjoyed the small narrative, something I'd like to see expanded upon for the sequel. But nobody can deny that MP is where KZ and other FPS games either make or break it. The lobby system was nice and should stay, matchmaking only would suck. But the lag effect when going through menus and so forth needs to go, a robust party system is also needed; by the time KZ2 releases, cross chat should already be rolled out as well. The party system they added near the "end" of the MP was nice but was too barebones.

If they're going to go wtih Halo/COD controls as well, they need to do it from day and 1 and never look back. The constant switching was unnecessary and made it seem like they didn't know where they were going! One week you'd have turrets/airbots doing "normal" damage on the next they'd be overpowered, the next they'd be back to normal.

In short:
KZ2 was a great game with a lot of hype that fell short, due to Guerrilla Games themselves seemingly being unsure of what they wanted for the game. I'm extremely excited for the sequel and hope they make it into a rewarding as possible experience.

JardeL

CrushDance said:
The game was so nice after release
No, spawn invincibility was crap and they semi-fixed it. But every dev at GG still needs a copy of Warhawk.

CrushDance said:
But the lag effect when going through menus and so forth needs to go,
No! What's the point of removing it ? " oh god there's lag even when going through menus , I can't imagine the gameplay!!! ". Come on Crush

CrushDance said:
If they're going to go wtih Halo/COD controls as well
No they won't , if they do f#@$ GG then.

We don't need another COD/Halo, if someone want CODlike controls he/she can go&play COD4&5&6&7. This is not about "reinventing the wheel " , KZ2 is & has to be different and that's what makes KZ2 special.

JardeL said:
No, spawn invincibility was crap and they semi-fixed it. But every dev at GG still needs a copy of Warhawk.
Yeah but for the most part the game was fine, before the numerous changes. I personally didn't mind the spawn invincibility.

JardeL said:
No! What's the point of removing it ? " oh god there's lag even when going through menus , I can't imagine the gameplay!!! ". Come on Crush
Huh? It was pointless. I'm not talking about the effects onscreen. I'm talking about how you'd press "X" and it would take a couple seconds to register and then perform the action in menus.

JardeL said:
No they won't , if they do f#@$ GG then.
I hope so as well because I liked the heavy controls. I'm saying though that whatever they stick with, stick with it!
JardeL said:
We don't need another COD/Halo, if someone want CODlike controls he/she can go&play COD4&5&6&7. This is not about "reinventing the wheel " , KZ2 is & has to be different and that's what makes KZ2 special.
I agree. But I have a feeling they may go with such a control scheme after the patch they gave us to placate reviewers and the like. Plus although KZ2 was successful, I think they want the same level of accomplishment that Bungie/InfinityWard/Epic have received.

Go eat some caviar JardeL.

mr_nothin

Banned
CrushDance said:
Yeah but for the most part the game was fine, before the numerous changes. I personally didn't mind the spawn invincibility.

Huh? It was pointless. I'm not talking about the effects onscreen. I'm talking about how you'd press "X" and it would take a couple seconds to register and then perform the action in menus.
So you liked being ran over by the invincible guys w/o standing a chance?

I agree about the laggy menus. It's actually more responsive than the Uncharted 2 menus though. I have to wait until the menu loads up before I can move/press X in Uncharted 2. In KZ2 I can go through the menus before they even load.

I'm talking about the pause menu just so you know =]

mr_nothin said:
So you liked being ran over by the invincible guys w/o standing a chance?

I agree about the laggy menus. It's actually more responsive than the Uncharted 2 menus though. I have to wait until the menu loads up before I can move/press X in Uncharted 2. In KZ2 I can go through the menus before they even load.

I'm talking about the pause menu just so you know =]
I was never run over by my enemies. I ran them over.

And yeah U2 menus are the same sometimes, really weird. KZ2 drove me crazy though because they were doing it on purpose :lol

Melfice7

Just played a few matches after taking a big break and damn the shotgun and turrets are still annoying and boring as ever >_<

wt991e.jpg

KZObsessed

Just played again for the first time since... well, my last rage quit :p

THIS GAME IS AWESOME

KZ2 > your favorite online shooter

FACT.

Gimme some dedicated servers, party system and remove boost. Then it would be perfect. The shooting is so much fun. <3 the chirp. Just for the love of god Guerrilla don't try and make the next one like COD, just stick to your own style. Plz

gg Lince, Dave.

A.R.K

FFObsessed said:

THIS GAME IS AWESOME

KZ2 > your favorite online shooter

FACT.

Gimme some dedicated servers, party system and remove boost. Then it would be perfect. The shooting is so much fun. <3 the chirp. Just for the love of god Guerrilla don't try and make the next one like COD, just stick to your own style. Plz

gg Lince, Dave.

YES YES YES ... it doesn't get enough credit it deserves. The hatred for it overshadows the love for it by the few and the proud :D

I sure hope too that GG sticks to their formula and does not listen to the idots who want it to be another COD/halo clone.

Best FPS 2009 for me so far (have not played COD yet).

Schrade said:
Just saw this posted in an OT thread by Salty:

http://www.apacheclips.com/media/11406/Bad_Ass_American_Telling_them_how_it_is/

For you pussies who complained about the characters in Killzone 2 cussing too much, have a look at this video. It's just the way soldiers talk especially when trying to emphasize things.

I didn't have a problem with the cussing but with the typical macho douchebag behaviour and zero personality of the characters. If that's how a soldier is then I want less realism please. Gameplay and multiplayer are amazing but the game's horrible characters and story made the campaign really forgettable to me.

TheFatOne

FFObsessed said:

THIS GAME IS AWESOME

Shit >Killzone 2

FACT.

Gimme some dedicated servers, party system and remove boost. Then it would be perfect. The shooting is so much fun. <3 the chirp. Just for the love of god Guerrilla please fix all the problems online. Please fix the party system, balance issues, lag, map imbalances etc... Plz

BTW Lyulf is still the KING.

A.R.K said:
YES YES YES ... it doesn't get enough credit it deserves. The hatred for it overshadows the love for it by the few and the proud :D

I sure hope too that GG sticks to their formula and does not listen to the idots who want it to be another COD/halo clone.

Best FPS 2009 for me so far (have not played COD yet).

I would like to have what you two are smoking.

Robot 492

Banned
Killzone 2 MP is awesome. Only reason I stopped playing it was because I got fed up with all the cheaters/boosters in clan matches.

Give Killzone 3 a Hardcore mode (less bullets to kill someone, limited or no classes, etc.) and I'd be ecstatic.

I really don't feel like I can post this anywhere else, so lets keep it in this thread. After playing Killzone 2, the multiplayer in MW2 feels outdated and boring.

KZObsessed

The lag made most clan matches unplayable as well.

igotnewsuper8 systemWRONG! said:
I really don't feel like I can post this anywhere else, so lets keep it in this thread. After playing Killzone 2, the multiplayer in MW2 feels outdated and boring.

<3

Robot 492

Banned
Eh, I could deal with the lag. Out of the 40 or so clan matches my clan and I played in, we only had players lag out in like three games. The biggest problem for us was the people who would camp the Speaker in their base after they scored in S&R, or go ahead by 1 kill in Bodycount and then kill themselves and not spawn until the round was over. I still don't understand why people wanted to win that badly, but whatever.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I never got past the muddy controls in the single-player. I think that's why in time has done this game no favours for me.

I can't believe a high-budget game released in 2009 got away with such unfriendly aiming inertia.

Oh and defaulting the precision aiming mode to clicking the right stick (the stick which AIMS), wasn't exactly all that wise either.

TheFatOne

FFObsessed said:
The lag made most clan matches unplayable as well.

<3

It made one thing clear American Gafers could never play against the Euro Lag Kings. That shit was horrendous. The lag in general in this game is horrible. 32 player matches are unplayable, and games that have rockets lag badly as well. There are some things this game did right, but the problems outweigh any good this game did.

nskinnear said:
Eh, I could deal with the lag. Out of the 40 or so clan matches my clan and I played in, we only had players lag out in like three games. The biggest problem for us was the people who would camp the Speaker in their base after they scored in S&R, or go ahead by 1 kill in Bodycount and then kill themselves and not spawn until the round was over. I still don't understand why people wanted to win that badly, but whatever.

When the GAFA Kings merged with the Gafe peasants the lag was horrendous. If Killzone 3 doesn't have dedicated servers I'm not going to buy it.

TheFatOne

alr1ghtstart said:
16-20 player matches/no rockets/assault/FF on for grenades should be the default in the next game.

Assault is such a broken class in the game. They should eliminate 32 player games altogether. Also most of the maps in the game are badly designed giving advantages to certain factions. Too many problems in Killzone 2.

FFObsessed said:
Except we all have better connections than yours Mr Lagswitch :lol

Such horrible horrible bullshit. Every fucking time I was the only one they kicked from the game. It is as if GG heard my trash talking and decided to kick me out as punishment.

Edit: It has something to do with my wireless connection. Too lazy to find a way to make it wired in my house. Also Europeans in this game have so much hate for Americans. Just because we watch real sports(soccer isn't a real sport FFO)? I don't get it.

Robot 492

Banned
TheFatOne said:
Assault is such a broken class in the game. They should eliminate 32 player games altogether. Also most of the maps in the game are badly designed giving advantages to certain factions. Too many problems in Killzone 2.
Yes.

Assault is an awful class. So overpowered. Rocket launcher + boost + extra health = unfair advantage.

I also agree about the 32 player games. 16 should be the limit for most games. I had the most fun playing in 8 or 16 player games. Anything more is just a mess, especially when you add rockets and boost into the mix.

KZObsessed

TheFatOne said:
Such horrible horrible bullshit. Every fucking time I was the only one they kicked from the game. It is as if GG heard my trash talking and decided to kick me out as punishment.

Edit: It has something to do with my wireless connection. Too lazy to find a way to make it wired in my house. Also Europeans in this game have so much hate for Americans. Just because we watch real sports(soccer isn't a real sport FFO)? I don't get it.

:lol <3

KZ2 is where LEGEND CrushDance was born so GOTF

Moobabe

nskinnear said:
Killzone 2 MP is awesome. Only reason I stopped playing it was because I got fed up with all the cheaters/boosters in clan matches.

Give Killzone 3 a Hardcore mode (less bullets to kill someone, limited or no classes, etc.) and I'd be ecstatic.

If they include a mode a la CS when you die and that's it until the round is over I'll be over the moon.

KZObsessed

TheFatOne said:
The sad part is that you still can't aim for shit.

Do you know who I am? Do you know how important and noteworthy I am in the KILLZONE 2 community? I am the KILLZONE 2 community. I've been playing this game before you were born sonny. Please> I trained Kill1onaire, Lince, FullRecovery, Aj2good4you, Cagen, CrushDance, Dave1988....the list is endless. They may not be as good as me but I'm still willing to carry them in Clan matches, I'll even roll with them in random games. This has nothing to do with that anyway, what I'm stating is that KILLZONE 2 is the greatest MP game of all tyne. OF ALL TYNE.

-viper-

Banned
:lol I see you've changed the post a bit :p

TheFatOne said:

what are you doing on Killzone 2 with a WIRELESS CONNECTION?

I think you should consider a rename on GAF - TheLaggyOne.

Spurs_Fan said:
hey guys i was thinking about picking this game up in a few days, wanna know if there is still a good amount of players online?

There are definitely a good amount of people still playing KZ2 MP.

Top Bottom