• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - The |OT|

Lagspike_exe said:
You need to play like 10-15 rounds to get that medal if you're skilled enough...

For that particular medal sure, but then there's all the other class stuff. The length of time it takes to get is irrelevant, it's just a stupid decision. Carrot on a stick stuff should be cosmetic. Everyone should come to the table equally deadly.

Massa said:
If only I could create 9 other human players to join my game automatically as well. :p

Well if you create a room and no one joins, then the community doesn't like your rules. Should they be forced to play as you see fit?

Massa said:
If only I could create 9 other human players to join my game automatically as well. :p
If you name it "Default settings" or something similar people will join. Fast. Cause you're not the only one that enjoy them.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah I loved the MP and for old time's sake I fired it up a couple weeks ago.
It was a bodycount match at Radec and the entire other team was spawning directly outside of the room where my team spawned and it was a complete clusterfuck. Spawn, kill one guy and die within 10 seconds....everyone was chucking their grenades and it was ridiculous. So then I tried another game, Warzone at Blood Gratch. Another clusterfuck but I wouldn't expect otherwise in a match with more than 8 players on that map.
I love this game but some nights it's just unpleasant, someday I'll try it again but after 100+ hours of MP I think I'll wait for the sequel to get hot and heavy with KZ again.

Massa

PedroLumpy said:
Well if you create a room and no one joins, then the community doesn't like your rules. Should they be forced to play as you see fit?

That's not how it works. You can't get a game started in Killzone 2 unless you're in a party because people simply don't join games with 1 player in them.

It's gotten to the point where I only play KZ2 if other people in my friends list are already playing. Otherwise I don't even bother.

Massa said:
That's not how it works. You can't get a game started in Killzone 2 unless you're in a party because people simply don't join games with 1 player in them.

It's gotten to the point where I only play KZ2 if other people in my friends list are already playing. Otherwise I don't even bother.

That's obviously not true as there are no servers with 24/7 uptime. New servers appear all the time and they fill up.

I haven't created a game yet since I started playing again, so I can't vouch for how it is now, but before I used to create them all the time and they'd usually fill up pretty fast.

Massa said:
Giving people the power to tweak every little setting in the game just ends up with a broken game. People disable friendly fire then suddenly rocket launchers ruin the game. Then they disable the Assault class and suddenly the engineer class is overpowered. These changes just ruin the balance of the game completely.

If GG still wants to give players that option that's fine, but that should be there exclusively for advanced players. In other words, 90% of the player population should be playing with default settings tweaked by designers from GG and to do that you need matchmaking.

Except GG's own rule set was unbalanced. No faction balancing, no friendly fire and assault on (which was a major issue pre-assault-nerf). I don't have a problem with Assault and rockets when FF is enabled, but if FF is off then Assualt should be limited to the LMGs.

Massa said:

That's just plain false. I created my first game yesterday because it was early in the morning and there were no games for people of the same rank (I was playing on a friend's PS3 while he was out and he hadn't played it much yet) on EU servers. Almost immediately a couple of other players joined to the default warzone preset that I picked. For a while it was 2v2 but then it very quickly snowballed into a 30 player game by the next map.

Massa

electroshockwave said:
That's just plain false. I created my first game yesterday because it was early in the morning and there were no games for people of the same rank (I was playing on a friend's PS3 while he was out and he hadn't played it much yet) on EU servers. Almost immediately a couple of other players joined to the default warzone preset that I picked. For a while it was 2v2 but then it very quickly snowballed into a 30 player game by the next map.

Well if you have time to wait for a room to fill up then Killzone 2's system is obviously fine. The thing is, I don't. Some days I can play for hours, some days I get 30 minutes at best. With every other multiplayer game I own I can just put it in, hit play and be matched in a room with sane settings within a minute or two. With Killzone 2 finding a playable game is not as easy as that.

Massa said:
Well if you have time to wait for a room to fill up then Killzone 2's system is obviously fine. The thing is, I don't. Some days I can play for hours, some days I get 30 minutes at best. With every other multiplayer game I own I can just put it in, hit play and be matched in a room with sane settings within a minute or two. With Killzone 2 finding a playable game is not as easy as that.

Well again, should the community be forced to play with your sane settings? They're the ones playing game, why shouldn't they play what they want?

Massa

PedroLumpy said:
Well again, should the community be forced to play with your sane settings? They're the ones playing game, why shouldn't they play what they want?

I'm not saying they should be forced to play anything, I'm saying there should be a default setting for ranked games. Other games with good matchmaking still allow people to create their own custom games, they just handle it better than Killzone 2.

Massa said:
I'm not saying they should be forced to play anything, I'm saying there should be a default setting for ranked games. Other games with good matchmaking still allow people to create their own custom games, they just handle it better than Killzone 2.

Custom games are hardly a replacement in matchmaking, they aren't open to the public. As it stands, the Killzone 2 community has the ability to play as it chooses, matchmaking would take that away. People can play 'default' settings or whatever other settings they want. In matchmaking, they're stuck with only default. I don't see that being a good thing.

GG needs to copy/Paste Resistance 2 and Warhawks system and then tweak it a bit to suit KZ's playing style. And dammit Sony fork over the cash to pay for some goddamn dedicated servers!

Massa

PedroLumpy said:
Custom games are hardly a replacement in matchmaking, they aren't open to the public. As it stands, the Killzone 2 community has the ability to play as it chooses, matchmaking would take that away. People can play 'default' settings or whatever other settings they want. In matchmaking, they're stuck with only default. I don't see that being a good thing.

Custom games can certainly be open for browsing, they are in Resistance 2 for example (haven't played Warhawk). People who want to tweak the settings would still be able to, the main change is that people who don't want to mess with anything would get a consistent experience by using the "Play now" option.

Internet Celebrity said:
Friendly Fire is bullshit, so that's one GG preset that I'll agree with.

Huh? :lol

It prevents clusterfucks and forces the players to actually think about pulling the trigger before they do it. It was mandatory in the beta, you couldn't turn if off. Of course, they realized the game would be to h4rdc0r3 if you wouldn't be able to turn it off, so they added a setting to do it.

Massa said:
Custom games can certainly be open for browsing, they are in Resistance 2 for example (haven't played Warhawk). People who want to tweak the settings would still be able to, the main change is that people who don't want to mess with anything would get a consistent experience by using the "Play now" option.

I haven't played in a while, but is it hard to find a standard Warzone game? That's the same thing you're talking about. I never had any problems getting into one, and they were my game of choice for the last few months I played.

Certainly when you put it this way, though, you're right. The idea that matchmaking is somehow better than custom servers is what people disagree with. I don't think anyone would object to having both options. Obviously not. Every game nowadays should have both.

meppi

Lagspike_exe said:

It prevents clusterfucks and forces the players to actually think about pulling the trigger before they do it. It was mandatory in the beta, you couldn't turn if off. Of course, they realized the game would be to h4rdc0r3 if you wouldn't be able to turn it off, so they added a setting to do it.

Friendly Fire is all good and well, but when you have to account for the stupidity of you own teammates, who either come and stand right in front of you when you are in a firefight, or when they spray their bullets everywhere and kill you over and over, FF becomes something that pisses me off even more than grenade launcher spamming idiots.

What I'd like to see is guerilla punish suicides with something a little more substantial that -1.
I'd say -5 per suicide and if you get you're 6th in a game, then I wouldn't mind it being -10.
That way the bazooka would have to be used with at least a little bit of skill.

What I'd like to do when I'm in a game that just plain sucks due to lame tactics, is turn the tables on them.
Massive amount of snipers? Just counter snipe their asses.
Same for the bazooka/grenade guys. Show them how someone with a little skill handles those weapons and blow them away time and again.

But whenever a game returns to a more or less normal level of gameplay, I always fall back on the Saboteur with the HGH STA-14 rifle as I just don't like playing like that for long periods of time.

Lagspike_exe said:

Although it might prevent clusterfucks, this game's squad spawning system makes it unbearable as a squad leader. I'm pretty goddamn accurate with the M82, and even I can't avoid insta-headshotting a squadmate as his head spawns right into the middle of my crosshairs when I'm firing.
Also, the fact that team-mates on a different level (vertically speaking) don't show up on your radar means that throwing a grenade to clear out a room is not an option.
In principle FF is great, but it just doesn't work in this game, sorry.

Internet Celebrity said:
Although it might prevent clusterfucks, this game's squad spawning system makes it unbearable as a squad leader. I'm pretty goddamn accurate with the M82, and even I can't avoid insta-headshotting a squadmate as his head spawns right into the middle of my crosshairs when I'm firing.
Also, the fact that team-mates on a different level (vertically speaking) don't show up on your radar means that throwing a grenade to clear out a room is not an option.
In principle FF is great, but it just doesn't work in this game, sorry.

I'm sorry, what?

Are you seriously trying to argue that spawn --> headshots happen often?

Also, the vertical thing. Yeah, it works as it should. Meaning you shouldn't use a weapon unless you're certain you're going to kill an enemy with it. Stops brainless use of grenades, rocket launchers and grenade launchers. Killzone isn't supposed to be some game where you have a front line which you push and all of your enemies are IN FRONT of you. It's a game where the battles are being fought everywhere on the map and friendly fires works just perfectly - you need to use your brain, not just your finger.

meppi

Lagspike_exe said:
I'm sorry, what?

Also, the vertical thing. Yeah, it works as it should. Meaning you shouldn't use a weapon unless you're certain you're going to kill an enemy with it. Stops brainless use of grenades, rocket launchers and grenade launchers. Killzone isn't supposed to be some game where you have a front line which you push and all of your enemies are IN FRONT of you. It's a game where the battles are being fought everywhere on the map and friendly fires works just perfectly - you need to use your brain, not just your finger.

Again, I don't trust most of my teammates to "use their brain and not their finger". ;)

Lagspike_exe said:
I'm sorry, what?

My 322 hours' of experience say yes, they most certainly do.

I absolutely disagree here. In KZ2, the spawn grenade/rolling objective system means that battles are often very much concentrated in one small area of a map, often a choke point (e.g. S&D).
I'll give you another example of how it's complete crap. You're running into a choke point/corridor, and a couple of friendlies are in front of you. You're also faced with a single enemy in front of you, but your team-mates are directly in your firing path. Your only options are: to shoot at the enemy and run the risk of racking up a couple of TKs (exacerbated by the fact that the game is so reliant on hip-fire), or to not fire altogether and let that one opponent spray you all down. (Summary - the 1 guy in a 1v4 situation has the advantage).

Internet Celebrity said:
My 322 hours' of experience say yes, they most certainly do.

I absolutely disagree here. In KZ2, the spawn grenade/rolling objective system means that battles are often very much concentrated in one small area of a map, often a choke point (e.g. S&D).
I'll give you another example of how it's complete crap. You're running into a choke point/corridor, and a couple of friendlies are in front of you. You're also faced with a single enemy in front of you, but your team-mates are directly in your firing path. Your only options are: to shoot at the enemy and run the risk of racking up a couple of TKs (exacerbated by the fact that the game is so reliant on hip-fire), or to not fire altogether and let that one opponent spray you all down. (Summary - the 1 guy in a 1v4 situation has the advantage).

I don't see a problem. Clever use of space and tactics can result in defeating foes even if you're vastly outnumbered. That's what gives the game it's depth. It's not just another brainless shooter.

JB1981

Lagspike_exe said:

Friendly fire or not, Killzone 2 is the king of multiplayer clusterfucks. Its horribly unbalanced, that's why people have moved on.

dazed808

It's too late now to change peoples habits of blind firing and grenade spam but it's obvious from the placement of some of the objectives that FF on was the desired play mode - the grenade box helgast S&D defend on Tharsis can't of been made without FF on in mind surely???.

The loss of FF on as default was my biggest problem with the changes from the beta, if people had learned from the start they can't just shoot at anything that moves it would have improved the game immeasurably. It's still the best MP experience I've had but it could of been soo much better without the pandering to the K/D whores and "wah, it doesn't control like COD, game sux" brigade.

jett

D-Member
holy crap i had forgotten how long the loading times are in multiplayer matches. I'm used to U2's blazing fast loads, I have no idea how ND did it. :p

edit: wow this game is unplayable clusterfuck...was it always this bad? at least I'll always have the good times from the beta...

jett said:
holy crap i had forgotten how long the loading times are in multiplayer matches. I'm used to U2's blazing fast loads, I have no idea how ND did it. :p

edit: wow this game is unplayable clusterfuck...was it always this bad? at least I'll always have the good times from the beta...
Don't play 32 player games, and you'll have nothing to complain about.

jett said:

Funny how I thought U2 loading times were pretty big... Then I started playing KZ2 again >.<

TheFatOne

Internet Celebrity said:
Don't play 32 player games, and you'll have nothing to complain about.

Most of the matches are 32 player clusterfucks on radec now, and if you happen to find a non Radec server it has shit options.

TheFatOne said:
Most of the matches are 32 player clusterfucks on radec now, and if you happen to find a non Radec server it has shit options.
Not at all. I barely had to join Radec only servers when I was getting to 100k a couple of weeks ago; there's quite a few 16-24p servers with rockets/assault disabled and most of the maps in rotation.

Yeah I can vouch for that. At least on the Euro region.

I just join servers that have a big map selection and all modes enabled and I usually have a good time.

Apath

Internet Celebrity said:
Not at all. I barely had to join Radec only servers when I was getting to 100k a couple of weeks ago; there's quite a few 16-24p servers with rockets/assault disabled and most of the maps in rotation.
I wish disabling the Tactician was a much more common practice. Their scout drones are okay, but I feel those spawn points can break quite a few game types and are the true cause for a lot of matches turning into cluster fucks.

If Killzone 3 really feels the need to have deployable respawn points, I hope they decide on pre-set positions where they can be placed.

Kenak said:
I wish disabling the Tactician was a much more common practice. Their scout drones are okay, but I feel those spawn points can break quite a few game types and are the true cause for a lot of matches turning into cluster fucks.

If Killzone 3 really feels the need to have deployable respawn points, I hope they decide on pre-set positions where they can be placed.
You're kidding, right? :lol

Halcyon

I'd like to get back into the multi for this game. My problem is that I suck now and i'm a higher rank, so I go back to that and get destroyed and I just wanna rank up again or something. When I do this though, I can't find any matches with people that aren't all top ranked. Bothers me.

I really like the low level "everyone has a AR and nothing else" gameplay. I think the balance makes it really fun.

Apath

Internet Celebrity said:
You're kidding, right? :lol
I haven't played online in like two months. Do people actually disable it now? Or are you saying it's one of the best classes? In which case I'd like to respectfully disagree :D
HalcyonTB12 said:
I really like the low level "everyone has a AR and nothing else" gameplay. I think the balance makes it really fun.
I agree with this way too much. It was best, IMO, when it was Soliders and Medics with the occasional Engineer.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
jett said:

I was playing some Campaign and Skirmish yesterday and I forgot how bad the loading is in this. I really, really hope they fix it in KZ3 because it's pretty much unacceptable for a game this generation to have load times this bad.

jett

D-Member
RoboPlato said:
I was playing some Campaign and Skirmish yesterday and I forgot how bad the loading is in this. I really, really hope they fix it in KZ3 because it's pretty much unacceptable for a game this generation to have load times this bad.

Yeah. ND did something amazing with U2, when the game first came out MP loading times were almost as bad as KZ2, but they patched it and now matches load in less than 10 seconds , sometimes less than 5, sometimes you don't even see the loading screen. :lol I don't know how they do it.

Single-player side it seems with each firmware update the game gets more and more borked. Now I get a lot of audio and voice stuttering during the game, in addition to the fucked in-game loading. :/

Kenak said:
I haven't played online in like two months. Do people actually disable it now? Or are you saying it's one of the best classes? In which case I'd like to respectfully disagree :D

He means some of the most epic battles in MP FPS ever were the ones where both sides had great tacticians and you are seriously missing out if you haven't been involved in a match of that caliber I'm pretty sure that is what he means.

Yes, the idiot tacticians will ruin the game but that isn't because the class is no good.

None of the stupid clusterfuck issues can deter a good team, it's just that most pub matches don't have good teams.

itsnervedamage said:
He means some of the most epic battles in MP FPS ever were the ones where both sides had great tacticians and you are seriously missing out if you haven't been involved in a match of that caliber I'm pretty sure that is what he means.

Yes, the idiot tacticians will ruin the game but that isn't because the class is no good.

None of the stupid clusterfuck issues can deter a good team, it's just that most pub matches don't have good teams.
Holy shit. [VGE0], right? Small(ish) world.

Lince

Banned
jett said:
Yeah. ND did something amazing with U2, when the game first came out MP loading times were almost as bad as KZ2, but they patched it and now matches load in less than 10 seconds , sometimes less than 5, sometimes you don't even see the loading screen. :lol I don't know how they do it.

auto caching data to hard disk as you play, the more you play the less it takes to load, I noticed it with MAG, FFXIII and GOWIII and hopefully it becomes a trend for every PS3 game. The downside is that the hard disk space reserved for this cache is limited and when you play other games previous cache data get overwritten.

Facism

itsnervedamage said:
ZEROES REPRESENT!

I think KZ Fridays are still happening for the most part too.

I think I'd played with a few of you guys when GAFe were still rolling strong. Decent set of chaps.

Zen

Banned
Azerach said:
Just create a pistol only server.

Even then I find it hard enough to get kills with the regular pistol. Usually on pistols only servers half of the people are rocking the supremely overpowered ISA Pistol.

The Helghast pistol feels far too loose in multiplayer, at least to me. I'm not sure how well the autoaim is on the ISA Pistole, but I'd imagine flipping the AutoAim between those two wouldn't be such a bad thing. Since the ISA hangun allegedly has great AA and can kill players in two hits.

Zen

Banned
Game2Death said:
I remember trying to get those ribbons. I gave up really easily...I never even unlocked everything. I should try it again someday..

Yeah this is the only MP related medal I have yet to get, with good reason. 5 Kills in a match would be reasonable, 10 pistol kills in insane.

Killzone 3 will be such a better MP game than Killzone 2, even if they only implement a few obvious changes.

Apath

itsnervedamage said:

I've played a shit ton of matches with the Tactician present -- good ones at that. I just hate the concept of placing spawns anywhere on a map. Especially in game types where you have to capture/hold a position or blow up a certain spot. Seriously messes up the flow of the game into an unavoidable cluster fuck.

Top Bottom