• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Haven't had a chance to jump into mp yet but the campaign is really shocking how rushed along and unpolished it is. Rico and Sev's audio is either out of sync or completely cuts out. The levels just jump all over the damn place.
When your on the speeder bike in the snow
did I miss a cutscene that explains where you get that thing?

Also there are constant weird ass animation glitches going on throughout and aside from the snow levels I can't believe I agree that KZ2 might look better. The snow levels are godly though.

Its a shame since the campaign is still really fun.

Halcyon

Dibbz said:
After spending a bit more time with it I'm still not happy with how I'm playing with Move. I'm more concerned about actually turning and moving with the Move. With the DS3 I don't even think about it, I'm more focused on the game. I'm sure with time I'll adjust but I'm taking a beating right now online.

Your settings are crazy btw. I have my turn speed set at 80% at the moment and was thinking of going up to 100%. Might need to add some deadzone to my settings though since they're at 0 like yours.

BTW do I really have to calibrate the controller every time I boot into Killzone?
I find the biggest thing about the move is how I calibrate. My settings are:

But the trick is finding the calbration that gives me the best control. I don't point at the eye then the targets. That never gives me the best feel. I will point how my hand is resting at the middle of the screen. Then the trick is shooting from that middle point somewhere in the middle from the corner targets. This usually takes me two or three times to find the calibration that gives me the best control vertically and horizontally. Sometimes the vertical movement is less pronounced or vice versa.

When its correct it feels soooo good using move, but I don't think id enjoy it if I hadn't found that sweet spot.

HalcyonTB12 said:
I find the biggest thing about the move is how I calibrate. My settings are:

But the trick is finding the calbration that gives me the best control. I don't point at the eye then the targets. That never gives me the best feel. I will point how my hand is resting at the middle of the screen. Then the trick is shooting from that middle point somewhere in the middle from the corner targets. This usually takes me two or three times to find the calibration that gives me the best control vertically and horizontally. Sometimes the vertical movement is less pronounced or vice versa.

When its correct it feels soooo good using move, but I don't think id enjoy it if I hadn't found that sweet spot.

I played with 3 hours of the Sharp Shooter and Move and loved the feeling of it, but I simply wasn't any good at running around and turning. It ended up being frustrating.

When I set the Vertical Deadzone to 40 (and I believe everything else is at or around 0) everything changed. That was the magic setting that made it hard for me to play Killzone 3 with anything BUT the Move and Sharp Shooter.

I can post my final settings after I fire the game up later and check them.

Dibbz said:
BTW do I really have to calibrate the controller every time I boot into Killzone?

Yep, because you might have different lighting conditions and the you might be sitting in a different position. It makes it optimal for whatever situation you are in at the time.

Still having a lot of fun with Operations. I'm like an Engineer Ninja. I've got best K/D ratio in about 8 of my last 10 games despite not actively going for kills in place of the objective. Its so easy to defend certain objectives with a crafty placement of a turret.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
BruceLeeRoy said:
When your on the speeder bike in the snow
did I miss a cutscene that explains where you get that thing?

When you are fighting/defeated the ATAC outside the Stahl Arms facility, you see those speeder bike thingys behind all those warehouses, 2+ just parked there, so they gave you a visual heads-up @ what was next

GraveRobberX said:
When you are fighting/defeated the ATAC outside the Stahl Arms facility, you see those speeder bike thingys behind all those warehouses, 2+ just parked there, so they gave you a visual heads-up @ what was next

Interesting I missed that. Thanks man.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
BruceLeeRoy said:
Interesting I missed that. Thanks man.
Yeah, I was thinking the same as you until I remembered that those were there. I'm just really surprised that the cutscene didn't even show Sev and Rico walking toward them or getting in or anything. That extra couple of seconds could have helped that transition a ton.

Dibbz

Yeah I'm going to have to find this sweet spot. There are times where I'll get some crazy kills that I could never do with a controller but the rest of the time I'm struggling to do anything at all.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Hey GraveRobberX why are you still a Junior?
You should ask a mod about it, you have more than enough posts to be a member.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dibbz said:
Yeah I'm going to have to find this sweet spot. There are times where I'll get some crazy kills that I could never do with a controller but the rest of the time I'm struggling to do anything at all.
You'll get used to it. I constantly had to make tiny adjustments to sensitivity and turning speed before I got it down. One thing I have noticed about using Move is that I get way more double and multikills as well as headshots than I ever have with a controller.

Dibbz said:

What is your preferred class? I honestly think either the Engineer or the Marksman are the best classes for Move. You'll want a weapon thats effective at a distance, really. Hang back to begin with and then slowly move forward into battle as you grow with confidence.

One of my favourite things to do is shoot an enemy ammo crate until its about to blow. Take up a position as normal. If you get ganked, blow the ammo crate and take out one guy while you take out another one. Classy shit.

I'm in love with the Grenade Pistol.

ultron87

That's seriously the way the game ends? SMH.

Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised since every cutscene felt like it ended early.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well I replayed last section for my bro,
he watched that abrupt cut-scene @ the end following some of the credits, he was like meh. In the process I was looking for hints, and if you look closely at the Higgy on the left you see Stahl's shadow reflect onto him, (or maybe I'm fucking delusional and seeing things)

Dibbz

Galvanise_ said:
What is your preferred class? I honestly think either the Engineer or the Marksman are the best classes for Move. You'll want a weapon thats effective at a distance, really. Hang back to begin with and then slowly move forward into battle as you grow with confidence.

One of my favourite things to do is shoot an enemy ammo crate until its about to blow. Take up a position as normal. If you get ganked, blow the ammo crate and take out one guy while you take out another one. Classy shit.

I'm in love with the Grenade Pistol.
I use Eng, Tact, Medic, and Infiltrator in that order usually. With Move using any LMG is suicide for me right now. The M82 is also too much for me so I'm limited to SMG's all around.

Funny story I have from a game I played yesterday on Pyrrus Crater. Was Engineer and had my shotty pistol heading for the only TSP which the Higs had control of. Snuck up the stairs inside and point blank killed a Tact running down. Knew he would respawn and try and kill me so I waited for him on the stairs. I noticed someone on his team had planted some C4 just above the stairs as it was flashing red. Kept my crosshair on it and as soon as he came running back, one shot at the C4 and he went flying over my head.

ultron87

Proelite said:
The tag line for Halo 3 is finish the fight.

So what will the tag line for Killzone 4 be?

A lot.
More than you think.
They used to be people.

Killzone 4:
I accidentally the whole planet.

Dibbz said:
I use Eng, Tact, Medic, and Infiltrator in that order usually. With Move using any LMG is suicide for me right now. The M82 is also too much for me so I'm limited to SMG's all around.

Funny story I have from a game I played yesterday on Pyrrus Crater. Was Engineer and had my shotty pistol heading for the only TSP which the Higs had control of. Snuck up the stairs inside and point blank killed a Tact running down. Knew he would respawn and try and kill me so I waited for him on the stairs. I noticed someone on his team had planted some C4 just above the stairs as it was flashing red. Kept my crosshair on it and as soon as he came running back, one shot at the C4 and he went flying over my head.

I just can't use the shotgun with Move. It doesn't feel right to me. When I use DS, I play as an Infiltrator though. There was a bug in the Beta where you could get the C4 to levitate above a corpse by throwing it directly at a mortally wounded enemy. That was fun.

Throwing it on allies that run into a clusterfuck is fun too.

rdrr gnr

Played two games of Warzone earlier today where it was tied 3-3 with the final game type being assassination defense. Both times our target was downed, but not completely dead... not a single medic in the entire lobby. By the time I killed myself and ran over with my medic class he had already bled out.

Khronikos

Banned
I have been pretty active on the forums but I like the game. It is the maps above all else that will ruin this in the end unless they can do something special for us. What I don't get is how this franchise had a smaller dev team? What the fucking fuck? After KZ2 Sony makes them smaller? Not sure I follow that one but that is what they say.

Anyway, after so many matches I have went through the leaderboards to gain new friends. Actually found a bunch of old vets. Some of them are too good. Not sure how people keep their KDR's over 2 but mine is at 1.7 and I TAC exclusively and I feel like if I drop by one of the maps I don't like so much it's too much work to stay there and be happy. I try not to play games anymore where I am yelling or cursing anything that moves.

I call this new leaderboard thing shopping because I am starting to not like playing any but maybe two maps alone. I still refuse to play the shitfest I am drunk I will now design a map that is Akmir Snowdrift. THAT dev should be made to play that map over and over for the rest of his little life.

Honestly this game controls a lot better, it looks better (not arguable get some fucking glasses), it sounds a LOT better, and I really enjoy playing it but what they took away in all of our custom ranked modes and what not is just not acceptable. They say they will patch it but with no ranked custom. Got to be kidding me. It just will not work. I will migrate to Socom 4 if they hold to their bullshit and that is that. These guys are looking like some serious amateurs at the moment and I really hope they can sort things out. As I said it's all in the maps baby. And the modes. And so far this is looking kind of gloomy. I don't want to pay 25 bucks more to enjoy this game. And that if they even give us that many more maps. Make them all available in Warzone or admit you are a bunch of lazy pussies.

Edit: I am really not sure where the hell you guys see KZ2 looking better? In what possible way. Texture detail looks 2x. There is some minor draw in versus KZ2 bland blurry smoothness. Any game can hide behind Quincunx and act like they are smooth. That doesn't equate better graphics. Sure there is some aliasing on KZ3 but most of it looks pretty grand. The water was absolute mush in KZ2. Terrible. I could go on and on. Go ahead. Pop the game in. Look at your soldier's hands holding the gun. Not even close. The detail in this game is way beyond KZ2. The particle effects on grenades and weapons are better for the most part. Shadows are now not as blocky, etc. etc.

patsu

MuseManMike said:
Played two games of Warzone earlier today where it was tied 3-3 with the final game type being assassination defense. Both times our target was downed, but not completely dead... not a single medic in the entire lobby. By the time I killed myself and ran over with my medic class he had already bled out.

Heh heh, that's why I always suicide if I'm not a medic in assassination defense.

Most of my games tonight are really even too. 3-4, 3-3, 4-3.

There was a Search and Retrieve game where we moved the objective across the bridge and below the bridge in Salamun Market back and forth forever. Helghast won 1 more mission than us and wanted to force a draw in this mission. So they tried to hog and hide the objective, away from the drop-off point.

We held the TSP at the back of the central building (ISA side). The Exos were creating havoc, their snipers zeroed in on the drop-off entrance. When I took a step in twice, I was headshot immediately as an Infiltrator. On my third try into the room (I died a few times before I get there man), I decided to cut in sideway to mess up the sniper's aim. Then I fell off the platform alive (LOL).

On my fourth try, I made it in with the same trick, and zig-zag as best as I could and scored 1-0 (Thank you sprint speed !). Was amazed the Exo didn't fire at me. Good thing another camping sniper along the corridor got killed first too.

With 15 seconds left, another tussle on the bridge and I ended up with the objective again. This time, I jumped off the bridge, ran as fast as I could towards my team Exo. We ended the mission with 1-0 ! I think if they had tried to win this one straight, they would have scored more. They are quite strong.

rdrr gnr

patsu said:
Heh heh, that's why I always suicide if I'm not a medic in assassination defense.

Most of my games tonight are really even too. 3-4, 3-3, 4-3.

There was a Search and Retrieve game where we moved the objective across the bridge and below the bridge in Salamun Market back and forth forever. Helghast won 1 more mission than us and wanted to force a draw in this mission. So they tried to hog and hide the objective, away from the drop-off point...

Wow, all of that sounds really intense. Too bad most of my matches consist of me hiding in a corner cloaked with my StA-52, or me getting killed by someone sitting in a corner cloaked with their StA-52.

patsu

That's why I said playing as Marksman is not so fun. The experience is not very even. Sometimes I get to kill more, sometimes it's quite boring. You need to watch out for other snipers too since your cloaking will wear off after a kill.

If you are not afraid of dying, I think it's more fun to take risk. Infiltrator's sprint speed, disguise and your map knowledge will help keep you alive (Not quite that easy, but use your brain !). Medic is tougher to kill because of auto-heal, triage bot, and second life. So I always charge in first, ask questions later. My teammates will follow up after me. Tactician decides the win/lose early if he can grab and defend the right TSP. Engineers are invaluable for defense when he repairs the ammo crates and fix up rocket turrets.

Chuckie

patsu said:
That's why I said playing as Marksman is not so fun. The experience is not very even. Sometimes I get to kill more, sometimes it's quite boring. You need to watch out for other snipers too since your cloaking will wear off after a kill.

If you are not afraid of dying, I think it's more fun to take risk. Infiltrator's sprint speed, disguise and your map knowledge will help keep you alive (Not quite that easy, but use your brain !). Medic is tougher to kill because of auto-heal, triage bot, and second life. So I always charge in first, ask questions later. My teammates will follow up after me. Tactician decides the win/lose early if he can grab and defend the right TSP. Engineers are invaluable for defense when he repairs the ammo crates and fix up rocket turrets.

I agree with you. I used to play Marksman a lot but I wanted to try another class so I changed to tactician. I don't even have any abilities unlocked but somehow I am killing more peeps every match. Running forward with the scan and with my M82 works surprisingly well.

Haven't played a lot Warzone and Operations yet.... so I don't even know what a Tactical Spawnpoint is :p

.GqueB.

Banned
So what the fuck were people complaining about regarding the campaign?

Im having so much fun with this and it seems like Im nearing the end. Loving the variety in gameplay, the intensity. The sound, like the last game, is horrible during cutscenes. Mindblowingly horrible. Its like the sound guy is someones cousin and they couldnt fire him or something. I dont know.

But overall, this is one of the best campaigns Ive played for an fps. That warzone feel of intensity is almost always there and its sensory overload. Definitely feel like Im part of a bigger whole which not many other games even attempt to capture. Story is decent as well, very good performances. I generally "get" what theyre trying to do here. What story they are trying to tell and Im glad they arent beating us over the head with it.

Though the "now thats teamwork" line made me cringe a bit.

All the crying about the story/campaign doesnt really make much sense to me. Shut up you idiots.

mr_nothin

Banned
.GqueB. said:
So what the fuck were people complaining about regarding the campaign?

Im having so much fun with this and it seems like Im nearing the end. Loving the variety in gameplay, the intensity. The sound, like the last game, is horrible during cutscenes. Mindblowingly horrible. Its like the sound guy is someones cousin and they couldnt fire him or something. I dont know.

But overall, this is one of the best campaigns Ive played for an fps. That warzone feel of intensity is almost always there and its sensory overload. Definitely feel like Im part of a bigger whole which not many other games even attempt to capture. Story is decent as well, very good performances. I generally "get" what theyre trying to do here. What story they are trying to tell and Im glad they arent beating us over the head with it.

Though the "now thats teamwork" line made me cringe a bit.

All the crying about the story/campaign doesnt really make much sense to me. Shut up you idiots.
Hint/Pro-tip:
Most of the complaints are about multiplayer. The few complaints about SP are that it's boring and not too different from the rest....which is valid IMO. But most of the hate is for KZ3's MP.

.GqueB.

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Hint/Pro-tip:
Most of the complaints are about multiplayer. The few complaints about SP are that it's boring and not too different from the rest....which is valid IMO. But most of the hate is for KZ3's MP.
Are we still complaining about multiplayer? Haven't the haters not gone back to playing KZ2 yet? I thought that was the general understanding gained here...

Just had a really fun Warzone game on Bilgarsk Blvd. My team got steamrolled 6 to 1, but I came in first. Once it was obvious we were going to lose every objective round, I just gave up and went for K/D - and we ended up taking the Body Count round!

Tactician is my favorite class now, I'm loving the M82/VC9 combo - the rocket launcher is hilariously satisfying.

CozMick

Banned
.GqueB. said:
Are we still complaining about multiplayer? Haven't the haters not gone back to playing KZ2 yet? I thought that was the general understanding gained here...

:lol

They ain't gone nowhere. I can almost hear them replying to you right now.

Soma

mr_nothin said:
Hint/Pro-tip:
That and mostly the ending.

I honestly don't think I've seen one poster here so far saying that they genuinely enjoyed it.

nib95

Banned
moonspeak said:
That and mostly the ending.

I honestly don't think I've seen one poster here so far saying that they genuinely enjoyed it.

I didn't like the very end shooting segment but the ending itself, whilst abrupt, imo was interesting and left things on a good cliffhanger.

DoomGyver

I feel as if I have to play Tactician 100% of the time when I play with randoms because my teammates are useless. There is just waaaaaaaaaaaay too much emphasis on TSPs and spawns in general. You own the spawns YOU WIN, period. I don't want to play tactician, and it's starting to feel like a damn chore.

It's like a constant tug-o-war in grade school but all the fatties are on the other team.

patsu

PaddyOCanager said:
Tactician is my favorite class now, I'm loving the M82/VC9 combo - the rocket launcher is hilariously satisfying.

Infiltrator has VC9 too. I use it exclusively for assassination. But it still requires a second knock to kill the target fully. 8^(

pretty bad experience playing the mp for the first time.. i was on the losing tean every single time and constantly kept getting instakilled at basecamp. so fucking shitty. i was decent at KZ22 i dunno what the hell happened..

also the game froze my ps3 twice in an hour. lame... i quit New Vegas because of constant freezes and i assumed and hoped KZ3 would be a more polished experience... but whatever, just patch it fast Guerrilla.

also, whats up with the flickering scoreboard at the end of matches?! hurts my head. FIX IT.

Facism

Full Recovery said:
I feel as if I have to play Tactician 100% of the time when I play with randoms because my teammates are useless. There is just waaaaaaaaaaaay too much emphasis on TSPs and spawns in general. You own the spawns YOU WIN, period. I don't want to play tactician, and it's starting to feel like a damn chore.

It's like a constant tug-o-war in grade school but all the fatties are on the other team.

this is my experience.

X-Frame

Full Recovery said:

Exactly. I can't play as any other class for longer than a couple minutes because I am constantly seeing TSP's that I could easily capture yet there are no Tacticians in sight. Ever.

Do they need to double, triple the points for capturing TSP's?

How about increasing the kill point multiplier when killing in a TSP zone, regardless if you're trying to defend or aid a fellow Tactician to capture (and making the zone and it's extra points easily apparent)?

And of course allow any class to neutralize TSP's. If I'm a Medic and the other team completely abandoned their TSP I should be able to deny them that even though I am not a Tactician.

jorma

is now taking requests
Weird, i rarely end up in a pub game without tsp-capturing tacticians. Like almost never. And if i do, well i guess i have to do it myself some of the times.

I also find that I'm gravitating towards the TAC, not only to capture TSPs that should have been captured 10 fucking minutes ago, but also to use the M82, because it seems that everyone is now realising how much of a beast it is. If I'm an INF or an ENG and I come up against a TAC in possession of the same mechanical skill as myself, I feel as if the gun is going to win it for him.

Also, I love the STA (the Helghan M82 equivalent), but I don't appreciate the fact that only the REC can use it. I find it quite a boring class to use as I don't find the idea of waiting around in order to use my ability that appealing.

Solal

Full Recovery said:

+1 I need to take all the TSP by myself... all the time. Fucking infuriating. Especially whan they are already taken by the enemy : it can be tough all alone.

We should get 500 points for getting a TSP, and 1000 when you take it from the enemy!. So obvious!

Chuckie

mickcenary said:
Also, I love the STA (the Helghan M82 equivalent), but I don't appreciate the fact that only the REC can use it. I find it quite a boring class to use as I don't find the idea of waiting around in order to use my ability that appealing.

The REC? You mean the Marksman? He has a StA52 (Sta is used in almost all Helghan guns I think, it probably stands for Stahl Arms) which is the equivalent of the M82 .

The Infiltrator has a StA52SE, so a silenced version of it.

sinky72

Just finished it this afternoon and have to say I really enjoyed it. Story was a bit meh but was expecting that from the reviews but for me the gunplay and locations were great. I wouldn't say there was anything that I hated about the game but the cut scenes were frequent which did take you out of the game a bit. Anyway, even without playing much MP, i'd give it a good 8.0/10

Just beat it on Elite.

I enjoyed it a lot more than my first play through on Veteran because this time I got to skip all the shitty cut scenes. It's a shame that quite a decent game had to be tarnished by a poor story and too many cut scenes.

Facism

JB1981 said:
TSPs are far worse than spawn grenades. Far far worse.

Maps need

a)more of them

b)for any class to neutralise (albeit slower than the tact and unable to capture)

I'd argue the best map in the game is the one that has more than 2 TSPs, which is Salamun. 2 spawns for each team plus 4 more capturable. It retains the shifting battle dynamic of KZ2 and allows a good amount of maneuverability around the map.

Would prefer it without the WASPs and exos, but that's what custom games are for and i hope there's still enough people in FTSG to make it worthwhile whenever it gets patched in.

Facism said:
Maps need

a)more of them

b)for any class to neutralise (albeit slower than the tact and unable to capture)

I'd argue the best map in the game is the one that has more than 2 TSPs, which is Salamun. 2 spawns for each team plus 4 more capturable. It retains the shifting battle dynamic of KZ2 and allows a good amount of maneuverability around the map.

Would prefer it without the WASPs and exos, but that's what custom games are for and i hope there's still enough people in FTSG to make it worthwhile whenever it gets patched in.

You wont hear an argument from me. Its my favorite map... which is kinda sad.

Top Bottom