• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

First thing I do as an engineer is repair all the ammo crates.

Then I place a tactical turret.

Then I take out my LMG and take a couple of guys out long range. . .then I switch to the beast and slay people up close.

Love that class. With Move its fantastic.

I've had some epic moments where I've been holding an area all by myself and due to the combination of Turret, LMG and Beast. . have been able to take on most of the team coming at me.

An engineer and a Medic holding an area is immense.

patsu

Dibbz said:
I'm usually on the look out for ammo crates myself. Especially as a Marksman since you don't get many bullets for the VC39 even with the extra ammo perk. I think the problem is people don't get to see the effect of their support when playing as an Engineer like say you do for a Medic or Tactician, so are less likely to play as him even though he is important.

I think it would have been better for the engineer to be able to give out ammo rather than to repair ammo crates. That way people can see an instant effect of their support to the team.

I usually switch to Engineer in Boulevard, Visari Palace and that lime green map, 'specially when defending objective. Don't really need other people to appreciate me since I know I am making positive impact.

I also switch to Engineer if I can't find our ammo crate anywhere. I _always_ destroy enemy crates when I see one. I feel it is very important to do so.

Lince

Banned
Dibbz said:
I'm worried because the Killzone 2 designer is back. I'm sure we'll have spawn grenades strapped to the tacts arse in KZ4.

don't be so pessimistic... maybe next time around they'll come with some middle-ground solution for the spawning system :p

Dibbz

johntown said:
The MAWLR Graveyard and Akmir Snowdrift IMO are the worst levels for snipers due to the choke points. Those two levels are really the only ones I will quit out of if there are too many snipers.
Akmir can be devastating with good Marksmen. I've had games where I couldn't get off the big rig as HGH because there were ISA snipers that kept picking me off from their base spawn :(

In fact I don't think I've really seen a game on Akmir that was tight. It's always a massacre but that can go either way depending on which team has the most tacticians :p

See the guys posting in here know what's up with Engineer (he is strong enough as is to do his job) but the vast majority of players on PSN are just retards. Too many kiddies. Sometimes I wish KZ3 was on PC.

patsu

Lince said:
see? that Engineer good job was common place in most high-level KZ2 matches, that's what I'm talking about.

I tend to think that my game will become high level when we force enemies to think harder. When the enemies focused on defending their assassination target, we/I may have captured all their TSPs. While people are attacking the SnD objective, the lone Engineer may have mined and set up his turret in the other objective area for an easy win. This is especially true if the nearby TSP has been captured. Sometimes, I find myself cycling through all the roles to establish a more permanent advantage in the Warzone.

Lince

Banned
Dibbz said:
See the guys posting in here know what's up with Engineer (he is strong enough as is to do his job) but the vast majority of players on PSN are just retards. Too many kiddies. Sometimes I wish KZ3 was on PC.

couldn't agree more, even better if the PC port was on Steam and with a nerfed Marskman.

patsu said:
I tend to think that my game will become high level when we force enemies to think harder. When the enemies focused on defending their assassination target, we/I may have captured all their TSPs. While people are attacking the SnD objective, the lone Engineer may have mined and set up his turret in the other objective area for an easy win. This is especially true if the nearby TSP has been captured. Sometimes, I find myself cycling through all the roles to establish a more permanent advantage in the Warzone.

players like you were commonplace in KZ2, too bad the new classes, spawn system and health/damage model attracted a wave of casuals players ruining whatever chances KZ3 had to shine... not that Guerrilla themselves helped with the Marksman ability to kill with one hit anywhere in the body, the infinite invisibility and that best assault rifle of the game.

patsu

johntown said:
Of course there are some that are very helpful but the majority are not. I know if I keep getting hit eventually I will say screw the objective, select my Infiltrator and go brutal melee all the snipers.

The MAWLR Graveyard and Akmir Snowdrift IMO are the worst levels for snipers due to the choke points. Those two levels are really the only ones I will quit out of if there are too many snipers.

Well, most people don't want to work hard when playing a game. So yes, most Marksman are just campers without a strategic intent.

I only quit out if the team size is unbalanced. If there are too many snipers, I'd spawn as medic or infiltrator and try to flank them. If I know where they are, I might counter snipe but this is rare unless I know their exact location.

patsu

Lince said:
players like you were commonplace in KZ2, too bad the new classes, spawn system and health/damage model attracted a wave of casuals players ruining whatever chances KZ3 had to shine... not that Guerrilla themselves helped with the Marksman ability to kill with one hit anywhere in the body, the infinite invisibility and that best assault rifle of the game.

Ah but in regular KZ2 games, I find my plans messed up easily by stray rockets and clusterf*cks. The special abilities are also not too useful, so it's kinda hard to gain a surprise attack. Most of the effort would be spawning on squad leader or grenade, and push through. Sometimes if the grenade is positioned wrong, it'd be a quick death.

In KZ3, I find it easier to execute my moves, or at least open up a hole for comrades to take over. It's more dynamic that way.

Dibbz

Lince said:
Can't agree there. Unless I just wasn't looking hard enough in those 32p blood gracht matches.

You obviously had the chance to play with a good team Lince where as the rest of us were left to scrap around public matches with idiots. I think that's why you feel KZ3 is drastically different. You basically got to play KZ2 the way it was meant to. The rest of us had to play however the host wanted us to.

I want to know why clan games didn't work out with you guys Lince, since that seems like what you want to do.

johntown

Banned
Dibbz said:
Akmir can be devastating with good Marksmen. I've had games where I couldn't get off the big rig as HGH because there were ISA snipers that kept picking me off from their base spawn :(

In fact I don't think I've really seen a game on Akmir that was tight. It's always a massacre but that can go either way depending on which team has the most tacticians :p

Exactly! The team I am on either gets crushed to the point we cannot even get out of the spawn or we crush the other team to that point.

I think I had a worse game on the MAWLR Graveyard though. The other team had a sniper in the middle and two on the sides with medics. They did not even try to do any of the objectives and just kept picking off our entire team anywhere we tried to go. Needless to say I quit out of that after a couple rounds.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
johntown said:
Exactly! The team I am on either gets crushed to the point we cannot even get out of the spawn or we crush the other team to that point.
but I thought TSP eliminated the spawn raping? :p

Lince

Banned
patsu said:
Ah but in regular KZ2 games, I find my plans messed up easily by stray rockets and clusterf*cks.

true, that's why we always played in custom 7v7 no rockets / boost rooms

a shame custom games are private only in KZ3... just by banning and tweaking some aspects the game would become instantly a whole lot more enjoyable.

that's the 'beauty' of Killzone 3... lol, at least with the 'smoke nades' in KZ2 you could always make a suicide run and push your team out of the base spawn.

Dibbz said:
Unless I just wasn't looking hard enough in those 32p blood gracht matches

we rarely played 32p matches... just those of the official tournament that we did end up winning... custom 7v7 - 8v8 games with the assault class banned is where we gathered every night until early in the morning for 6-7 months straight.

Dibbz said:
I want to know why clan games didn't work out with you guys Lince, since that seems like what you want to do.

oh my friend we really tried... so many times... until it was just unbearable, host advantage is so poorly compensated in the KZ3 netcode that Clan Games were a nightmare for the team that didn't grab host... like 1 shot kills everywhere with no chance to outmaneuver the other team, honestly I don't know if this has been fixed through the several patches the game has received.

Shooting5280

Neo Member
Dibbz said:
I'm worried because the Killzone 2 designer is back. I'm sure we'll have spawn grenades strapped to the tacts arse in KZ4.

:p

@Shooting5280

Try changing your map settings to Any. Selecting a specific map means the game will force you into a game with that map and only that map meaning your looking through a smaller pool of players to join.

Also do you have any DLC? If so maybe selecting "Standard Maps" will help.

I have it set to any but I do have “From the Ashes Map Pack Bundle" I have not tried setting it to "Standard Maps" will try that tonight. But do you real think that is the problem I had the retro and steal rain " PSN+" and never had this problem.

johntown

Banned
patsu said:
I only quit out if the team size is unbalanced. If there are too many snipers, I'd spawn as medic or infiltrator and try to flank them. If I know where they are, I might counter snipe but this is rare unless I know their exact location.

I won't always quit if the team size is unbalanced. I have been in many winning matches where our team was short one or two players. It all depends how good the players are you get matched with.

johntown

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Lol

If the other team gets both TSP's in Akmir then your team is basically finished. Not always but a decent team should be able to crush the other team if they can get both TSP's and hold them for about 5 minutes maybe less.

Dibbz

Shooting5280 said:
I have it set to any but I do have “From the Ashes Map Pack Bundle" I have not tried setting it to "Standard Maps" will try that tonight. But do you real think that is the problem I had the retro and steal rain " PSN+" and never had this problem.
Yeah I had a similar problem the other night and I've got all the DLC packs too.

The way matchmaking works is that if you have all DLC packs then it will looks for rooms with players that also have all dlc packs.

If you have just steel and rain it will look for players with only steel and rain.

So even setting your maps to Any it might not find a room for you that has an open slot because it is looking at a smaller pool of players.

Setting to Standard means it'll put you with everyone who doesn't have any DLC packs. Now I don't know the sales numbers for the DLC but I'd assume there are lots of people that don't have the DLC.

GG could have set it so any kind of DLC would put you in a "DLC room" then kick you when you don't have a map that comes up in rotation but I guess they didn't want to piss people off like CoD did when they done it.

patsu

johntown said:

I think I had a worse game on the MAWLR Graveyard though. The other team had a sniper in the middle and two on the sides with medics. They did not even try to do any of the objectives and just kept picking off our entire team anywhere we tried to go. Needless to say I quit out of that after a couple rounds.

Grab a TSP and throw the beacon their way. Do you know where that is ? This should take care of all of them in one area. If they also own the TSPs, it usually means that your team is outnumbered. Get out of the game or wait for it to rebalance.

GG should cover up the line of sight from spawn point/TSP to another Soawn point/TSP entrance. The graveyard map can be bad when they grab the TSP nearest to your spawn point. You'll have to grab it back at all cost. You'll also need an Engineer to take over the 1-2 ammo crates near that TSP.

patsu

johntown said:
I won't always quit if the team size is unbalanced. I have been in many winning matches where our team was short one or two players. It all depends how good the players are you get matched with.

Yeah 1-2 people short is usually ok.

patsu

johntown said:
Lol

If the other team gets both TSP's in Akmir then your team is basically finished. Not always but a decent team should be able to crush the other team if they can get both TSP's and hold them for about 5 minutes maybe less.

Yap, the one in the bunker is more important. You'll need 2-3 Tacts, preferably with a medic, to take over that TSP because there is an ammo crate inside. It's easier if you take the other TSP first.

johntown

Banned
patsu said:
Grab a TSP and throw the beacon their way. Do you know where that is ? This should take care of all of them in one area. If they also own the TSPs, it usually means that your team is outnumbered. Get out of the game or wait for it to rebalance.

GG should cover up the line of sight from spawn point/TSP to another Soawn point/TSP entrance. The graveyard map can be bad when they grab the TSP nearest to your spawn point. You'll have to grab it back at all cost. You'll also need an Engineer to take over the 1-2 ammo crates near that TSP.

Yeah I know about the beacons but when they are sitting inside the buildings the beacon does not always help.

Dibbz

wow a friend of mine just showed my marksman montage to the official KZ twitter and they said it was good.

My life is complete.

tumblr_lnlbpoV86m1qjifdm.gif

Grinchy said:
The campaign in KZ3 was better than KZ2. The dialog was way better, the story for the most part was more fleshed out, the guns felt way better, the levels were more interesting, ect. Anyone who liked KZ2 would like KZ3, that's for sure. I'd even wager that some of the people who didn't like KZ2 would like KZ3.

I think the only people who have a problem with KZ3 are the people who have convinced themselves that KZ2 was something overly special.
What the fuck?

I loved KZ2 SP and MP. Played both for many, many hours, so I was understandably hyped for KZ3.

The horrendous level design (SP) and lack of custom matches (MP) ruined any chances of KZ3 ever coming close to KZ2. Traded it in after a few days.

Dibbz

Lince said:
oh my friend we really tried... so many times... until it was just unbearable, host advantage is so poorly compensated in the KZ3 netcode that Clan Games were a nightmare for the team that didn't grab host... like 1 shot kills everywhere with no chance to outmaneuver the other team, honestly I don't know if this has been fixed through the several patches the game has received.
So it came down to lag? Lagzone 2 wasn't much better :p

EDIT:- If it's anything like normal public matches, then lag has been fixed like a million times and I've never had a problem with lag. Maybe it's down to the fact you guys didn't split the regions like you did for KZ2 and just had one big GAF clan.

Massa

Lince said:
we rarely played 32p matches... just those of the official tournament that we did end up winning... custom 7v7 - 8v8 games with the assault class banned is where we gathered every night until early in the morning for 6-7 months straight.

Banning the assault class is probably why you loved the engineer class in KZ2 since that's the class best equipped to counter it. Having 4 turrets and 2 spawn points near an objective is indeed a special kind of clusterfuck that doesn't exist in KZ3.

Massa

alr1ghtstart said:

No game will ever eliminate spawn raping unless it completely removes that tactical element altogether (like Uncharted 3). The KZ3 system is not even designed to eliminate that, although it helps a bit (you can't place a spawn right next to the enemy base like you've seen so often in KZ2).

What the TSP's eliminate are the concentrations of 24 players on top of an objective, making the teams actually have to work their way to their objectives and dominate a section of the map without relying on spawning right on top of that area, but rather just staying alive there with the help of medics.

Spawn raping is something that was mostly fixed in KZ3 with the DLC maps, which are much better designed. You'd have to be playing with complete idiots to get spawn raped in Stahl Arms, Lente or the new Radec, personally I have never seen it.

Really enjoyed KZ3. The campaign was good, but the MP is stellar as hell. They made it more versitial but kept a solid KZ feel to it. Warzone is awesome. More games need a long match that changes up on you like this. I am glad Uncharted 3 has one, though they should make it much longer than a 10 min match, when a KZ3 Warzone last twice as long.,

patsu

johntown said:
Yeah I know about the beacons but when they are sitting inside the buildings the beacon does not always help.

In MAWLR graveyard ? The sniper camping in the middle should be in the open. The ones by the side are usually in the clear too, unless they shoot from inside the base, which can be avoided by picking your route carefully.

patsu

NecrumSlavery said:
Really enjoyed KZ3. The campaign was good, but the MP is stellar as hell. They made it more versitial but kept a solid KZ feel to it. Warzone is awesome. More games need a long match that changes up on you like this. I am glad Uncharted 3 has one, though they should make it much longer than a 10 min match, when a KZ3 Warzone last twice as long.,

I agree. The game usually only takes only 2-3 men working together to make a huge difference. It may happen so fast that it's hard to predict the outcome until the very last second. I <3 that calculative and yet full of surprises/changes gameplay.

KZ2 is more boutique-like with incredible atmosphere. When I play there, it's like I'm a pirate wrecking havoc with everyone else. The gunplay requires finnese. It's like I was there in-person. Really <3 the soft look that is lost in KZ3.

XOMTOR

The Interrobanger said:
What the fuck?

I loved KZ2 SP and MP. Played both for many, many hours, so I was understandably hyped for KZ3.

The horrendous level design (SP) and lack of custom matches (MP) ruined any chances of KZ3 ever coming close to KZ2. Traded it in after a few days.

Totally Agreed.

My take? I really disliked KZ3's campaign. They tried to go for the epic story with all these different locations (a la MW2) but to me it just felt choc full o cheese. Too many cutscenes far too frequently which only served to interrupt the gameplay. That and I really had no interest in Helghan politics; those scenes were yawn worthy.

At least KZ2 didn't fool you into thinking there was some amazing story; it was basically 4 guys, a bunch of guns and a whole lot of shooting until you reached Visari. The End. But the shooting was where it excelled in both SP and MP. Sure it took some getting used to but that's what made it different, you actually had to learn to play KZ2. Killzone 3's gunplay is way too easy. As much as I've played KZ2, I can still get my ass handed to me on Elite but KZ3 I can breeze through on the same difficulty.

Massa

Ken said:
Have a question:

What can I do with offline split screen in this game?

You can play the campaign with two dual shock controllers (no Move in split screen). No botzone or online.

patsu

I think KZ3 requires learning too. Not at the gun control level but at the class tactics level. Aside from coping out or crapping on the new classes, I can see some people deriving creative tactics out of them.

Conversely, people who think Engineer class is useless most likely didn't bother to learn/study its use in the battlefield. They may not have a good feel what difference Engineer class can make to the Warzone. In fact, when the situation calls for an Engineer, the same people who complain may have already forgotten that they can (and should) spawn as Engineers too. KZ3 is a deep game if you are willing to learn new tricks at a different level/domain. You can play as any class from day one.

patsu

Meisadragon said:
That was due to QAA in Killzone 2. :( MLAA doesn't really suit KZ3, but the image quality was good.

Yeah I know. That's me fighting with technology. I love SPU MLAA, but I love KZ2's art direction more. ^_^

Ken

Massa said:
You can play the campaign with two dual shock controllers (no Move in split screen). No botzone or online.
Is botzone the multiplayer with bots?

So I can't play the multiplayer component with split screen?

Massa

Ken said:
Is botzone the multiplayer with bots?

So I can't play the multiplayer component with split screen?

Botzone is indeed Warzone with bots, but you can only play it solo. Only the campaign supports split screen 2-player.

Shooting5280

Neo Member
Dibbz said:
Yeah I had a similar problem the other night and I've got all the DLC packs too.

The way matchmaking works is that if you have all DLC packs then it will looks for rooms with players that also have all dlc packs.

If you have just steel and rain it will look for players with only steel and rain.

So even setting your maps to Any it might not find a room for you that has an open slot because it is looking at a smaller pool of players.

Setting to Standard means it'll put you with everyone who doesn't have any DLC packs. Now I don't know the sales numbers for the DLC but I'd assume there are lots of people that don't have the DLC.

GG could have set it so any kind of DLC would put you in a "DLC room" then kick you when you don't have a map that comes up in rotation but I guess they didn't want to piss people off like CoD did when they done it.

This worked I was able to find many near full matches with it set to standard. So this just means that the matchmaking sucks. Is there a way to disable some or all the map packs I would like to have as much of the new stuff as possible but still need somewhat full games. I guess that this was less of an issue when everyone had the free month of steal rain with PSN+. This setup will discourage the purchase of the DLC are they planning of addressing it.
Again thanks for the help I had some great fun last night

Dibbz

Doubt it will happen. I'm glad tbh, I don't want to join games with retarded rules set by the community.

Anyone tried 1.11 yet? Is the menu freezing fixed as well as the spawn freeze and other random freezing?

Dibbz

alr1ghtstart said:
then....don't.
Thanks to GG I don't have to.

1.11 fixed the freezing issue and squad chat now works 100% so you don't have to mute everyone individually anymore. Just select squad only in the audio options and you will only be able to hear anyone in your squad.

Acrylic7

I still have the game, was hoping that it could be fixed with patches. I was wrong. Trading this in for Vita gil.

If there ever is a kz4. I hope its kZ2.5

patsu

Acrylic7 said:
I still have the game, was hoping that it could be fixed with patches. I was wrong. Trading this in for Vita gil.

Should have done that long ago if you expect the game to become KZ2 suddenly. Even if the dev team wants to, it will take them more than a year or two to implement the changes.

The game play is fine as is. They only need to refine the maps further to remove exploits and sniping into base. Custom games would be nice but I wonder what options we can tweak. The game may become too dry without special abilities.

And so the divisiveness continues. I picked this up last week on a whim. I find the SP much better than KZ2. This one is, dare I say, actually fun. Story is way better as well.

MP. Has it's ups and downs. The lobby/matchmaking system seems totally fucked, but once you find a good server, I find the gameplay overall better than KZ2 as well.

KZ3 just seems a bit more fun overall.

Mikey Jr.

Acrylic7 said:
I still have the game, was hoping that it could be fixed with patches.
If there ever is a kz4. I hope its kZ2.5

There is only so much patches can do man. The game that it is now, is the same game it will be in 2 years.

I'm hoping this is a Resistance type situation. Where 1 was great, they fucked up on 2 and realized it, and are now going back to their roots with 3.

Lets see what they do with Killzone 4.

Acrylic7

patsu said:
Should have done that long ago if you expect the game to become KZ2 suddenly. Even if the dev team wants to, it will take them more than a year or two to implement the changes.

The game play is fine as is. They only need to refine the maps further to remove exploits and sniping into base. Custom games would be nice but I wonder what options we can tweak. The game may become too dry without special abilities.

Gameplay is not fine. I feel very frustrated when I get killed, I feel as thought the other guy did not even try. Its just a "who sees whom first" type of game. Even when I get a kill it doesn't feel satisfying to me. I feel as though I cheated. Its like The other guy doesn't stand a chance If I see him first. I miss the actual work that you had to do in KZ2.

Refining the maps is what got them in this predicament in the first place. Even the maps fro kz2 are trashed. How on Earth do you mess up the glory that was Market?

no custom games is crazy decision imo.

Too dry without custom abilities? Half the problem are from the abilities, having an option to turn them off would make gameplay more fun in most cases.

Some may say its a good game, but it doesn't hold a candle to kz2. IMO

Top Bottom