• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Carl

CozMick said:
Quite a bundle from GAME.co.uk. worth it @ £164.99?

Steelbook Edition Included.

353703ps_500h.jpg

http://www.game.co.uk/Accessories-G...le/~r353703/?s=playstation+move+sharp+shooter

Wow that's an awesome bundle.

my local best buy has the Sharpshooter available for purchase. was tempted to get one and try it out but am still very skeptical that it will be more of a hinderance to movement then anything beneficial it might add. i am looking forward to user reviews of the sharpshooter as I do not trust gaming site reviews of pretty much anything.

Torgo

nib95 said:
Could you upload just one of the original files to your album so I could compare it with the jpegs and perhaps change to JPEG using software of my own? PNG would be fine (or preferable) too. I know it sounds laborious but ultimately if it could lead to PSNation getting slightly better captures it could be worthwhile!

Picassa automatically converts non-jpeg's to .jpg. I can't put them on our web host because we use too much bandwidth, so I'll just put a couple up instead.

So pushy...

ZIP File

Shuusui

Ugh, just saw the fugly-ass cover art for the NA release.

Logozone. Wonder if any kind soul will upload a better version, aka, the Japanese version.

Daft_Cat

Wow, just played the single player demo. Very impressive stuff (and it's become very hard for FPS games to stand out). The control feels so tight without sacrificing the awareness that you are an encumbered burly soldier.

This isn't a day one for me..but as someone who liked but didn't love Killzone 2, this is definitely going to be on my radar after the first price drop.

kitch9

Banned
Thanks TTP for your Move calibration tips. I was putting too much stock into actually aiming the controller perfectly at the targets when calibrating which actually made the game near unplayable. I followed your advice just to chill and point roughly from my chilled position and DAYUUUM its a different game!! Move all the way for me now!

Just beat first 3 chapters.

Game looks fucking phenomenal.

Weird speech/sound glitch though that's hard to describe but basically nobody finishes their fucking sentences

ex:
A character will say this:
"Come over here and help me with"
"Come over here and help me with the door"

Bread

Banned
DevelopmentArrested said:
Just beat first 3 chapters.

Game looks fucking phenomenal.

Weird speech/sound glitch though that's hard to describe but basically nobody finishes their fucking sentences

ex:
A character will say this:
"Come over here and help me with the door"
I heard one like that in the demo, weird.

Just played through the demo twice with Move and I am really getting the hang of the controls! Looks like I will be playing through the campaign with the Move after all! Once I changed the cursor sensitivity down to 0% it really clicked with me!

Rikyfree said:
I should get the move shouldn't I?

I would say between KZ3, Socom 4, Dead Space Extraction (yeah, its damn good), and some of the stuff coming later this year, like Sorcery I would say it is a great investment. There seems to be a lot a decent stuff coming that would be in the Hard Core realm of motion controlling, which is really the only reason I got it!

KingOfKong said:
my local best buy has the Sharpshooter available for purchase. was tempted to get one and try it out but am still very skeptical that it will be more of a hinderance to movement then anything beneficial it might add. i am looking forward to user reviews of the sharpshooter as I do not trust gaming site reviews of pretty much anything.

I would definitely suggest a pass if your only interest hinges on the peripheral adding benefit to the experience. The toy is cute and I like it a lot for Time Crisis and The Shoot, but for KZ3 I find that I have a bit more success with vanilla Move.

The peripheral doesn't really hinder movement too much as you are always just aiming at someone and the camera moves accordingly, or you just flick it to make a quick turn. The gun is pretty weighty though so fatigue is definitely an issue, both on the wrist and the shoulder. While it might be a viable compromise in SP, I don't think it is a worthy compromise for MP.

The stock is too short to really take any pressure off, but you wouldn't really be aiming down the sights anyway. Unfortunately this means that it is a bit cumbersome for your movement hand (for analog controls) as this hand has to support the weight of the gun plus handle movement as well as grenades and ADS mode. This just means that it can be difficult to really relax when seated.

Playing the shoot or TC, I can handle using this while sitting on the couch, but for KZ3 where I am switching between hip and ADS, I find it is much easier to play standing up.

For pure immersion, the Sharpshooter is pretty damn sweet and I will be going through SP with it. But for adding "benefit", I don't really think there is any and if I have the confidence to take Move online, I will not be using this peripheral.

Also - I was originally under the assumption that cocking the weapon would reload. However, the cocking mechanism is not a button, instead it acts as a pulley on the 'T' button, thus it will only do whatever that button is programmed to - which in KZ3 is firing. With that said firing the shotgun thus will be pretty satisfying, I am sure!

conman

Rikyfree said:
I should get the move shouldn't I?
Move is great for the (many) on rails sections. But the DS3 is still far better for standard FPS sections. I wish there was an easy way to switch between the two. But considering that KZ3 is at its best when it sticks more to what it does best (standard FPS stuff), I prefer the DS3 overall.

conman said:
Move is great for the (many) on rails sections. But the DS3 is still far better for standard FPS sections. I wish there was an easy way to switch between the two. But considering that KZ3 is at its best when it sticks more to what it does best (standard FPS stuff), I prefer the DS3 overall.
i don't agree..

McLovin

I'm thinking about pre-ordering(that Amazon $20 credit caught my eye) but I heard that if you pre-order through Home you get some bonus stuff. I believe it goes through Amazon so would I get both Home bonuses and the credit?

conman

I don't mind using Move for basic aiming and camera movement, but when you then have to use gestures in place of things like melee attacks, I get annoyed and just switch back to my DS3. And then, of course, there's also the endless calibration--especially for someone like me who doesn't always game from the same distance from his display (sometimes I sit in a chair a few feet away, other times I sit on the couch 6-7 feet away).

conman said:
I don't mind using Move for basic aiming and camera movement, but when you then have to use gestures in place of things like melee attacks, I get annoyed and just switch back to my DS3. And then, of course, there's also the endless calibration--especially for someone like me who doesn't always game from the same distance from his display (sometimes I sit in a chair a few feet away, other times I sit on the couch 6-7 feet away).

So, would you say that a blanket statement like "But the DS3 is still far better for standard FPS sections" was wise? You probably should have said some along the lines of "for my play style I find the the DS3 is a better choice".

Dug

Banned
McLovin said:
I'm thinking about pre-ordering(that Amazon $20 credit caught my eye) but I heard that if you pre-order through Home you get some bonus stuff. I believe it goes through Amazon so would I get both Home bonuses and the credit?
You should get it, and if you don't you could try and contact customer service.

conman said:

Sounds about right to me. I can't stand turning with these things. Light gun shooters are great with pointers.

I'm still agonizing over whether to buy that gun though. It just looks so cool.

conman said:

Surprised I am gonna say this since I never was a fan of motion controls but I do not find what you said to be true at all. In fact quite the opposite with a little practice.

Sethos

Banned
Really is a shame we've moved away from the "Even playing field" and into the realm of "Whoever spends the money, can get the possible advantage".

Massa

Sethos said:
Really is a shame we've moved away from the "Even playing field" and into the realm of "Whoever spends the money, can get the possible advantage".

That's not true at all. Yeah, for some people Move will work out a lot better, but others are not quite fond of its limitations.

It's not like mouse aiming, which is miles ahead of both. That would definitely break the balance, but Move vs DS3 is simply a matter of preference.

Sethos said:

Some may call it evolution.

Dualshock 3 user and proud here.

Sethos

Banned
Massa said:
That's not true at all. Yeah, for some people Move will work out a lot better, but others are not quite fond of its limitations.

It's not like mouse aiming, which is miles ahead of both. That would definitely break the balance, but Move vs DS3 is simply a matter of preference.

Hmmm, I hope so. I've just seen some footage where a capable player can annihilate controller users, looked like a PC player was dropped into a console game. I have some fears what I might encounter once I head online ...

Hopefully I'll got proven wrong :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Sethos said:
Hmmm, I hope so. I've just seen some footage where a capable player can annihilate controller users, looked like a PC player was dropped into a console game. I have some fears what I might encounter once I head online ...

I haven't seen anything that would make me think move users have any advantage overall. You give me a kbm and it'd be fish in a barrel.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Sethos said:

I think capable DS3 players can also anihilate anyone. Playing the beta its clear they are pretty balanced. Top players will be top players regardless of controller.

Its a matter of preference though for anyone below top players. It may make SP easier due to the multiple popping enemies, but in MP that does not happen as much. I think Move might help if you are a really poor player with the DS3 though just because its a little faster.

Essentially I think:
Top Players will dominate all regardless.
Medium Players will dominate weak players regardless.
Weak players with Move will be slightly better than weak players with DS3.

I have seen people (not necessarily just on this forum) insinuate that using Move in KZ3 is for people who aren't good with DS3. Seems kind of silly to assume that. Maybe they use it because it is new, a nice change, or possibly fun?

AndyD

aka andydumi
KingOfKong said:
I have seen people (not necessarily just on this forum) insinuate that using Move in KZ3 is for people who aren't good with DS3. Seems kind of silly to assume that. Maybe they use it because it is new, a nice change, or possibly fun?

I agree. I think its different enough that if you are bad with DS3 then it might help. But if you are good with DS3 that does not mean you should not use Move. I personally think Move is more fun for this game where it works very well.

btkadams

i absolutely hated the co-op in the demo. looks like ill be playing single player and trading turns with my bf instead. i have a 60 inch screen but theres so much detail in those little blocks you play in that i just had no idea what was going on and my bf was getting really frustrated too lol. game seems great but yeah it was just a clusterfuck in those tiny squares on the screens. i don't understand why, since i found resistance co-op on ps3 to be completely fine in that regard. it just felt like tunnel vision.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
btkadams said:
i absolutely hated the co-op in the demo. looks like ill be playing single player and trading turns with my bf instead. i have a 60 inch screen but theres so much detail in those little blocks you play in that i just had no idea what was going on and my bf was getting really frustrated too lol. game seems great but yeah it was just a clusterfuck in those tiny squares on the screens. i don't understand why, since i found resistance co-op on ps3 to be completely fine in that regard. it just felt like tunnel vision.

unfortunately, that is just the way local coop is since the beginning of time. I remember local coop for gears 2. it was a diminished experience.

X-Frame

Anyone have an idea how the points bonus from Amazon (or HOME) is going to work into the game?

Like, if I use my 6 points right off the bat .. did I just jump 6 levels and will start gaining XP like I am a Level 6 .. or will I be gaining levels like I just started (i.e. making the levels track hugely imbalanced and thrown off)?

conman said:

Opinions do not equal facts.

cakefoo

I had a surprisingly positive experience with Move in the beta. I counted up the frags and deaths I got on video and it was ~90 and ~60, which at 1.5:1 is better than my overall 1.4:1 rate in KZ2 with the dualshock. The developer previews, coupled with my hours of humbly trying to get used to the controls in MAG and that PSN fps, did not prepare me for this. Not only am I playing as well as I was in KZ2, pointing at the screen means less work and more play for me, and I'm all down for that.

i preordered thanks to the amazon $20 credit, but does anyone know of a video that chronicles the happenings of the first 2 games? i watched all the KZ2 cutscenes but they're kind of fragmented. i know the ending of killzone 2 but don't really know much of the history aside from that. where can i go?

Torgo

Gameplay video for the multiplayer map "MAWLR Graveyard"

I purposely set everything to easy so I could show more of the map off. Also, in Botzone, everything is unlocked, so a lot of the items, weapons, and abilities you may see will not be available on Day 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hndCzQOrzE8

Next up is Akmir Snowdrift :)

Animator

Torgo said:
Gameplay video for the multiplayer map "MAWLR Graveyard"

I purposely set everything to easy so I could show more of the map off. Also, in Botzone, everything is unlocked, so a lot of the items, weapons, and abilities you may see will not be available on Day 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hndCzQOrzE8

Next up is Akmir Snowdrift :)

Awesome please make a video showing all the maps. This one we have already seen.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I'm looking at the old CGI 2005 pics for old times sake and man, they really got that smoke and sunny saturated color tone look down pat.
KZ3-1%206.jpg

killzone-ps3-20060113104820796_640w.jpg

Interesting, thanks for the comparison shots. This is definitely a looker of a game.

I can't calibrate my move correctly for this game. Raising my arm lowers the cursor and lowering it raises the cursor or it just won't pick up movement. Can anyone help me or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

thegriefer said:
I can't calibrate my move correctly for this game. Raising my arm lowers the cursor and lowering it raises the cursor or it just won't pick up movement. Can anyone help me or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Maybe reset your move controller with the little whole in the back. When mine was acting wonky that sorted it back out for me.

Top Bottom