• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

nib95

Banned
Waaghals said:
I don't understand the criticism of the story either, it's not great, but it is in no way worse than, say MW2. The story is entertaining and easy to follow, though it is rather cheesy. This couyld however be said of most fps-stories.

Basically how I felt about it too. In-fact, I kind of liked the fact that it was easier to follow than some recent fps, which just seem to border on messy and un-refined for the sake of trying to appear intelligent and edgy. KZ3's was a kind of, 'does what it says on the tin' style story. Entertaining, simple, a few twists and turns, decent plot events, half decent characters, good VA and a good cliffhanger ending. Script is a bit weak at times, and often cheesy, but seriously, we're in dudebro town, it's to be expected.

story shouldn't even exist considering how many cutscenes there are (and how ugly graphically they look compared to main game) and how fucking awful the dialogue is; at least some of the VO is good.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
DevelopmentArrested said:
story shouldn't even exist considering how many cutscenes there are (and how ugly graphically they look compared to main game) and how fucking awful the dialogue is; at least some of the VO is good.

oh please.

nib95

Banned

Were you drunk when you played the game? I barely even noticed a difference between gameplay and cut-scene, aside from some colour/contrast differences and the odd macro blocking in deeper shadow areas. But even then, rarely.

The cut scenes are generally on the whole, really well done.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Elite'd

Overall wasn't as difficult as KZ2, but last section (
the space shooting
) was full of bullshit. Pity cos it leaves a bad taste after all the sweet that leads to it.

nib95

Banned
TTP said:
Elite'd

the space shooting
) was full of bullshit. Pity cos it leaves a bad taste after all the sweet that leads to it.

True say, GG can't seem to get game endings done right. If they had just done a better end segment...

Did you Elite the game in co-op or solo?

jett

D-Member
TTP said:
Elite'd

the space shooting

A final level that borderline ruins a game's entire experience. Seems oddly familiar.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nib95 said:
True say, GG can't seem to get game endings done right. If they had just done a better end segment...

Did you Elite the game in co-op or solo?

Solo with my trusty Move :)

nib95

Banned
TTP said:
Solo with my trusty Move :)

Dude...how...I just...lol. I struggled with that end segment on Trooper...dunno how I'll manage in Elite. Anyway, I started the game in Veteren and just realised there's no trophy for it. Looks like I'm going to have to brave Elite...

*gulps*...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Oh god not again...I never beat the game for that reason ugh.

No worries. It's not even close to Radec.
Radec was crazy difficult but ultimately well designed.
This one is just... super simple design yet so badly developed.

Strider2K99 said:
I want to be able to have L1 as Aim rather than L2, and I want to have to have it as Hold rather than Toggle.

You can't switch L1 and L2 (boggles my mind why some people would prefer L1 to L2 for aiming since the Navi trigger is perfect - but whatever :p) but you can set it to Hold.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nib95 said:
Dude...how...I just...lol. I struggled with that end segment on Trooper...dunno how I'll manage in Elite. Anyway, I started the game in Veteren and just realised there's no trophy for it. Looks like I'm going to have to brave Elite...

*gulps*...

Yeah.
You'll die and repeat a lot. Just spam that missile button I guess. lol I can't really offer a valid advice other than that. The whole lock system is so unclear to me.

nib95

Banned
TTP said:
Yeah.
You'll die and repeat a lot. Just spam that missile button I guess. lol I can't really offer a valid advice other than that. The whole lock system is so unclear to me.

I didn't even realise there was a lock system beyond it highlighting enemies. Soon as the targets turned red, I spammed the crap out of the missiles. It's that very very last shooting segment in the game that killed me. WTF man...Oh and that segment when the missile turrets pop out too...

Konosuke said:
Keep experimenting with settings, and DO NOT miss TTP's latest video. I used Move during the Beta and thought controls were really good, but sometimes it felt odd and I was always fiddling with the Turn Speed and Sensitivity.
Sometimes the cursor was so jumpy I couldn't even use ADS.
I actually thought my Move controllers were borked in some way lol.

Had I not seen TTP's video I wouldn't figure out what I was doing wrong during calibration, and now it feels even better and it's consistent. So good, I'm going to buy a Navcon.

Many thanks TTP.

I played the Killzone 3 demo again with my computer chair instead of sitting on the edge of my chair. Also changed the options to:

Deadzone width and height to 0%, cross hair sensitivity to 0%, turn speed stayed at 30%, lock assist off, zoom hold, crouch toggle.

Much better to what was already a great impression. I won't be surprised if my aim gets significantly better with the move as opposed to the DS3. A navcon is a must though, my hand was cramping after a little bit, the DS3 is not made to be a one hand controller. Can you please link me to TTP's video where he has the settings that he used?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nib95 said:
I didn't even realise there was a lock system beyond it highlighting enemies. Soon as the targets turned red, I spammed the crap out of the missiles. It's that very very last shooting segment in the game that killed me. WTF man...Oh and that segment when the missile turrets pop out too...

The main problem is you don't even know WHY you die, which makes it feel like a "time based shooter". Destroy the target within X seconds or you'll self-detonate. Or something :D

On Elite you basically have to just be faster and pray more. There are a couple of spots where you have to be selective. Ignore some ships and focus on other so that you don't waste missiles cooling times.

nib95 said:
TTP is the crosshair missing in Elite even when using the MOVE?

No. It's present. They probably changed their minds since the preview code (it was off there).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AranhaHunter said:
I played the Killzone 3 demo again with my computer chair instead of sitting on the edge of my chair. Also changed the options to:

Deadzone width and height to 0%, cross hair sensitivity to 0%, turn speed stayed at 30%, lock assist off, zoom hold, crouch toggle.

Much better to what was already a great impression. I won't be surprised if my aim gets significantly better with the move as opposed to the DS3. A navcon is a must though, my hand was cramping after a little bit, the DS3 is not made to be a one hand controller. Can you please link me to TTP's video where he has the settings that he used?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWF0yZCmpNo

But really you should come up with your own. Different set ups etc.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
nib95 said:
Ok...now that just isn't fair...

It's for the best IMO. I was actually surprised to find out if was off in the preview code as it's quite more difficult to aim "blinded" with the Move. It's not impossible, but you definitely miss more hits compared to when using a DS3 since in this case you at least know you are always shooting at the middle of the screen. With the Move, you need to "waste" more bullets (see where they land to get a reference point) in order to adjust the aim.

Personally had a lot of fun finishing the demo on Elite with cursor off. But who knows, perhaps focus tests revealed it was overall more difficult than with the DS3.

Ok so I think I'll probably this game to pass the time next week. I was lttp with Killzone 2 and honestly I didn't really like it. Maybe it was it was the set up I was playing with it or what but I was having a hard time and eventually just dropped down to easy during that boss fight against the flying drone thing. So what do I need to know this time around?

KingDizzi

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Can't decide if I'm going to play through the SP with the DS3 or the move. Decisions decisions.

Same, got a move and nav gathering dust so really it needs use. What I'm going to do is play the first 2 levels using a DS3 followed by the move and see which feels better, so far leaning towards the DS3.

BTW is the online up yet? Will probably be Tuesday but since people have the game now it might be up.

nib95

Banned
KingDizzi said:
Same, got a move and nav gathering dust so really it needs use. What I'm going to do is play the first 2 levels using a DS3 followed by the move and see which feels better, so far leaning towards the DS3.

BTW is the online up yet? Will probably be Tuesday but since people have the game now it might be up.

I tried online earlier today and it just wouldn't connect. Here's hoping it's up tomorrow!

nib95

Banned
KingOfKong said:
any word from the official forums stating when they are supposed to enable the multi servers?

Not sure tbh. Haven't checked.

That said, wow, having so much more fun with this game in Elite! Started nearly 3 hours ago and haven't been able to put it down! Just feels a hell of a lot more realistic. Game almost makes you feel good enough that you really are a one man army, since the AI is so intelligent and can kill you in literally 2 seconds if you're not careful. Takes patience, great tactics and a lot of skill to cap them. That and memorising starting locations or areas they come from lol.

nib95

Banned
Wow the part from the demo is a thousand times better in the real game...

Oh yea, I mentioned a few graphical and difficulty (it's harder) differences earlier, but forgot to mention how in the real game it plays different too. Has new segments in between and after the demo ones.

LevityNYC

Banned
There is definitely something wrong with the 3D in this game. Horizontal scan lines are horrible. They are present on EVERYTHING when moving. They are present on all of the menu screens too. I don't get it. On a black screen, on the right edge of the screen, there is a weird colored line on my TV. I double checked every PS3 and 360 3D game I have and none of them exhibit any of this behavior.

nib95

Banned
Two things I wish they'd never removed from the game...hidden plaques you have to find and shoot to get trophies (just gives you more reason to explore all the beautiful levels), and the skinny gas canisters that spin around all awesomely when shot in weird places. I miss those :(

LevityNYC said:
There is definitely something wrong with the 3D in this game. Horizontal scan lines are horrible. They are present on EVERYTHING when moving. They are present on all of the menu screens too. I don't get it. On a black screen, on the right edge of the screen, there is a weird colored line on my TV. I double checked every PS3 and 360 3D game I have and none of them exhibit any of this behavior.
strange, mine works fine.

Smokey

LevityNYC said:

Never heard this before. You sure it's not your TV?

Can't wait for this on Tuesday. It's weird. I wasn't THAT big of a fan of Killzone 2. I liked it, thought the graphics were nice, and enjoyed MP for what it was. Wasn't hardcore with it though.

Killzone 3 I feel like I am a little more hyped. I don't know if it's because it's packed with content/features, the Move implementation (getting my sharpshooter on Tuesday as well), or what but I am pretty damn excited to play this.

LevityNYC

Banned
Smokey said:
Never heard this before. You sure it's not your TV?

Definitely sure. Its not quite as dramatic as I may have made it out to be, but it definitely doesn't look great.

I tested out Wipeout 3D, Motorstorm, SSHD, and BLOPS. All of them look far superior to this game in 3D. Its almost as if when they halved the resolution, it makes the resolution look interlaced on occasion.

Oh well...I wasn't buying the game anyway, but I'm still disappointed.

LevityNYC said:
Definitely sure. Its not quite as dramatic as I may have made it out to be, but it definitely doesn't look great.

I tested out Wipeout 3D, Motorstorm, SSHD, and BLOPS. All of them look far superior to this game in 3D. Its almost as if when they halved the resolution, it makes the resolution look interlaced on occasion.

Oh well...I wasn't buying the game anyway, but I'm still disappointed.

Sounds like it's your tv. Mine looks great and has none of the issues you speak of. No worries though since you said you aren't getting it. Hope your tv doesn't do this to any other future games.

Smokey

I'd love to hear some impression on the 3D in the game on Tuesday from those that can take advantage of the feature. I'm probably getting either the 2011 Panasonic GT/VT series set when they launch in April, so I'm hoping the 3D in this delivers.

nib95

Banned
Smokey said:
I'd love to hear some impression on the 3D in the game on Tuesday from those that can take advantage of the feature. I'm probably getting either the 2011 Panasonic GT/VT series set when they launch in April, so I'm hoping the 3D in this delivers.

When they launch? The VT20/25 has been out for some time. The new VT30 is out in a few weeks mind, unless you meant that. Still worried it's going to have the posterisation issue along with some other woes such as black level rising. Guess we'll have to see, but I'm holding on to my Pioneer Kuro for now.

Smokey

nib95 said:
When they launch? The VT20/25 has been out for some time. The new VT30 is out in a few weeks mind, unless you meant that. Still worried it's going to have the posterisation issue along with some other woes such as black level rising. Guess we'll have to see, but I'm holding on to my Pioneer Kuro for now.

Yes, I'm talking about GT30/VT30. They are supposed to launch in April. Unfortunately I was still in college when the Kuro's launched so there wasn't a realistic way for me to get one of those at the time. Years later and I am in a position where I can get one of these and it seems like the VT30 will improve on the VT25 (in the 3D area especially). I picked out a 46'' Panny plasma for my mom a couple of years ago and it still looks great to me. I'm sure the blacks have risen or whatever, but it still looks very nice and clean to me.

Synless said:
I was thinking, what does the thread title even mean?

Visari dead? Assuming.

Synless

TacticalFox88 said:
Visari the Helghast Emperor is dead, but his legacy still lives on. Long Live the King is a common saying when a King dies.
Ahhhh, I knew he was dead, i wasn't sure if the title was a witty way of saying somehow he lived. That's why I asked, thanks.

man, I am really on the fence. I loved KZ2 and I thought the multiplayer was a blast. However, it didn't have great legs and the community dwindled down pretty fast.

nib95

Banned
So I finally stopped playing about an hour ago. I fucking LOVE this game lol. As I did the predecessor (though not quite as much). Something about the KZ franchise just feels like it was made for me. I prefer the gunplay and firefights over any other shooter. There's this intimate personality to all the battles that just makes them so unique and raw.

Playing it in Elite now, just enjoying it a whole lot more, though naturally it is a tonne harder. That being said, I haven't died that much more, since it's forcing me to play far more tactically and cautiously, a lot more realistically. Every burst you fire off has to be more carefully thought out, and you have to select targets a lot more efficiently. You also have to choose cover and hiding locations much wiser, as they will precision grenade you out of your comfort hiding spot faster than you can shoot off a whole mag (or at most two).

If I could compare the gunplay to another shooter, I guess it's closest rival would be FEAR. I dont know if that's because of the AI, weapons or what. But it's more similar in pacing and tactility. Maybe Gears too now that I think about it. COD whilst really fun, has this serious sam like bowling feel to it. You're literally just mass murdering hundreds at a time like you were a God and enemies are nothing but inconvenient fodder. Halo is more open and playful. Enemies take a lot more damage and everything is more animated, but doesn't have the same level of realism and weapon feedback. To me the kills aren't as satisfying. In KZ, i's a nice balance between not having too many enemies, but just enough that it feels like a large scale struggle, but with intimate battles in between. Often you spend a fair bit of time on just one enemy in a crowd of many, one super intelligent enemy who is lucky enough to be far enough and behind enough cover, cover that he'll use intelligently enough that he will annoy you and pick at you to no end, and you will keep hounding him till you finally get that beautiful head shot that has you seeing his body flumo behind the cover and the blood trickle out. But all the while, the knowledge that each second you waste on him could either have him pick you off, or some other enemy flank you, that fear makes the battles so much better. Not to mention the actual weapon sounds (deadly) and enemy animations (inc hit detection).

Anyway, I'm going on and on, but after another long play session, I had to get it off my chest. Probably my fave first person shooting franchise now. Overtaking Half Life (bring out HL3 already). Still not my favourite online shooter by a long shot mind. Talking strictly single player campaign here.

Top Bottom