• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

perineumlick said:
Sounds like you had it in for this game from the jump. If you thought this game was COD hard on Veteran, then you must have just started playing FPS games. Yeah there are some glitches here and there, no game is perfect, but you seem to be going overboard with the criticism here. Too each his own; I'm really enjoying it.

I liked killzone 2 but this game is just straight up bad. Being big budget and pretty doesn't stop it from being bad. I'm not even sure if I dislike MW2 more than this (what I used to think was the worst single player campaign ever), cause MW2's single player problems were all story related and ridiculous.

But yeah, I didn't like it and you did so I must not have played many FPS games. Nice derail attempt.

DoomGyver

I can't seem to unlock one of the hidden trophies.

Completist - Destroy everything on the MAWLR

4 guns on the knees, the cooling ducts, then a few gunners on its side by the cooling ducts, then when you get on the raider you minigun the gunners, then the core, it splits in half and then the main tower.. this is where I think I'm missing something because it goes so fast and your camera jumps around making it hard to keep on target.

Anyone get it yet?

Just got it, for future reference:
While on foot with the WASP, once you only have one cooling duct to destroy you have to wait about 10 seconds after it opens for the gunners to come out, wasp the gunners then wasp the cooling duct.

Why. The. Fuck. Does. It. take. So. Many. Fucking. Bullets. To. Kill. An. Soldier.

Jesus, even with LMGs they're bullet sponges. Should be dropping like flys.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
SHOOT FOR THE HEAD

Honestly, this game takes about half the amount of bullets to kill someone than in KZ2 (campaign).

If you're talking about those uber-elite soldiers, just melee them.

pixelbox

commish said:
Yeah, it's great that they have a wonderful squad system that makes it work well. Oh wait. They removed that. I agree that it requires a lot of teamwork, but like I said before, that's great for organized clans and whatnot. Playing with pubbies just makes it a little frustrating.
No doubt. But then make sure you have a squad to begin with. They left the chat open to all members of a team so they could communicate with each other. Start communicating.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The main theme is so good... I boot up the game and every time I'm smiling.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
1.03 fixed the map rotation problem for me. Still cannot automatically run over a corpse though lol. Trophy blocked three times trying to get a brutal melee with silent footsteps because of a dead body. :-\

cakefoo

fuzzyreactor said:
what? it seems to be selling good and scored pretty well. The game isnt overrated or underrated. it's a good game with a lot of flaws and questionable design choices.
Yet according to you, everyone's a troll if it's their favorite FPS.

Grisby

Played a couple levels last night and today. This game kind of feels like what KZ2 should have been. Very fun experience so far and the graphics are just, wow, amazing.

The shooting is a lot better but I kind of miss the heavier controls. The situation for me is a torn one because now the guns feel like they have no weight, but damn if it isn't more responsive. The game is fun although I'm still waiting for some big set piece or setting change although granted, I'm not far.

In terms of story its less intrusive than KZ2's awful narrative was. It seems like its the Gears step up and the plot pace is very brisk. I don't like the cut scene transitions though because Sev just kind of puts his gun away and it just starts. Not as smooth as it should be. Oh, and I've had some audio problems as well but nothing serious.

Can't wait to keep playing.

pixelbox

2real4tv said:
Some of the multiplayer maps are wayyyyy to green and brown.
Hey I know you from Beyond3d! I wanted to ask you a question since i can't find my password there. Anywho, my question is the PS3 has 7 processors and it's GPU is slightly weaker than the 360's according to the programmer that created Heavenly Sword, right? Why do I keep hearing the the 360 is on equal ground to the PS3. I mean it's 7 vs 3 processors...There's so much bias there.

Edit:I'm not trying to start a fanboy war here, I just wanted to ask him a question.

M.W.

tmacairjordan87 said:
I liked killzone 2 but this game is just straight up bad. Being big budget and pretty doesn't stop it from being bad. I'm not even sure if I dislike MW2 more than this (what I used to think was the worst single player campaign ever), cause MW2's single player problems were all story related and ridiculous.

But yeah, I didn't like it and you did so I must not have played many FPS games. Nice derail attempt.
Straight up bad? Bold.

woolley

I really enjoyed playing through the campaign but I was a bit disappointed in how the story ended. I don't really want to say much about it but I just feel that they could of done something that would of made a little more sense then what was done.

Man

Multiplayer is excellent. Player health is a bit too fragile but the flow and feel of this is simply just the best on the market now.

I felt divine rage when I managed to put my hard earned points into the wrong class earlier.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Okay, here are my impressions after playing for about 12 or so hours online.

All of the classes all seem to be pretty good. I had the gamestop unlock preorder code, so I got to try all classes with all of their abilities unlocked.

Engineer
First thing I noticed is that the sentry turrets have a nice damage boost from KZ2. I got quite a few kills from both the rockets and the gun. That sentry rocket is pretty wicked if the turret is placed in a good spot. You simply cannot ignore a turret if it is firing at you – you’ll die. The engineer’s level 3 gun is, of course, pretty uber. You can’t look down the sights, but if you crouch, if can mow people down. In CQB, forget about it – it’s a buzzsaw. I had a lot of fun playing this class, and I HATED Engineers in KZ2. I will be putting a ton of points into this class after inf & tactician because it’s a pretty fun class that can lock down a particular area/avenue of attack better than any other class.

Tactician
I felt most useful to my team when I played tactician. There were a few games that I KNOW we won because I captured a key TSP. The M82 rifle is pretty damn good and the best assault rifle imo. Amazingly enough, that stupid Recon drone got me quite a few kills. I forgot about it a lot though. The rocket launcher secondary weapon is great and very useful for taking out walking mechs and for clearing out a TSP. I start almost every game as the Tactician class.

Infiltrator
Sab was my favorite class in KZ2, by far, and it’s even better this time around. The shotgun is ridiculously powerful (which is a plus and a negative, depending on which end of the blast you are on) and the SMG and Assault rifle are pretty powerful as well. I usually opt for the assault rifle so I can kill from a distance. Of course, it’s a lot harder to tell that an infiltrator is an enemy in this game, and I definitely fooled a ton of people. You just have to play a certain way – you’d be amazed how something as simple as walking backwards fools people. On that map where it is snowing, I went wild and had a 12 melee kill streak before I was finally gunned down. Tons of fun. I definitely had my best K/D ratio with this class (I don’t snipe), and the class is really useful for S&D and assassination modes.

Marksman
I spent the least amount of time as a Marksman because it’s not my style of play, but I sure was killed by a shitload of them. This was easily the most popular class, and I guess I understand why. You can get cloak and carry an assault rifle and a silenced machine pistol at the same time. On one map, this marksman went something like 45-1, and that death was by my hand as I stopped everything I was doing hunted him down for 15 minutes. I don’t complain about anything being OP, as everything has a counter, but being able to kill from cloak with the machine pistol and remain cloaked is more than a little annoying. The thing is is that these guys don’t do much to help their team to win (imo), but they don’t care – going 16-2 is their goal. It’s annoying when I’m facing them or when they are on my team, but that’s how I view snipers in *all* games. The maps are great for snipers though – plenty of good positions to camp with your rifle and snipe away. Scramble++ ability is good – you don’t realize how important your map is until it’s scrambled. It makes me a little paranoid when my radar gets scrambled because I know the marksman can kill me whenever he wants with his silenced machine pistol. Annoying but not game breaking or anything. Very useful to have on the front lines if the marksman doesn’t sit and snipe. I suspect that many organized teams will employ a marksman as a front line fighter armed with an assault rifle.

Field Medic
I wish I could heal. I liked how, in KZ2, you start at full health but when hurt, you only heal up a certain percentage. That made medics even more useful, as every bit of health helps. No idea why that is gone. As everyone will say, the revive gun takes way too long to recharge. Further, I lost count of how many people tapped out instead of waiting for me to revive them. With mics and better teamwork, it would help, but there really should be some type of indicator that a medic is nearby or, at least, allow the dead guy to rotate his camera to see if anyone is running to assist. I also did not like the medic’s assault rifle or SMG – SMG seemed too weak (though I saw some others dominating with it) and the assault rifle needs to have full auto as the burst made it seem too weak as well. Triage++, the ability that allows you to resurrect from the dead, is a great ability. I was able to kill my killer quite a few times. Overall, though, I just didn’t feel that useful to my team as a medic, which is a shame because it was my second favorite class in KZ2.

Unfortunately my unlock code has expired, so it’s back to leveling up for my uberness.

I know some people complained about raising player health, but, judging by the number of assists people get, I don’t think it’s an issue. As for the maps, some are pretty bad but I’m withholding final judgment until I get to experience them with the GAF clan. I have a feeling that teamwork will make everything a LOT better.

gibration

IMO if GG would add a medic button like in TF 2 then all would be solved.

733683-cs_office0045_super.png

.hacked

my copy just showed up from amazon, played it for a good 90min with the sharpshooter on out 3d plasma. WOW

My new favorite game, 1st Killzone game I have actually liked. Sony needs to make more Move games like this.

woolley

Sporran said:
LOL ahh dont worry, we dont have it yet in the UK, get my copy friday. The big bad ass version :D

So will join you then ;)

btw dont shred it :p
He means that it's not the KZ3 disc. The kid switch it with a random disc and shredded that.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
What's this bullshit I see where they want me to give them more money for maps for a game that just came out and I just purchased?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Darkness said:
What's this bullshit I see where they want me to give them more money for maps for a game that just came out and I just purchased?

Dont' get me started.

Darkness said:
Pretty much the lamest shit a dev can do with DLC. Other than charge for content already on the disc.

CozMick

Banned
Darkness said:

You should be glad that you have the option.

Most Collectors Edition content don't get to see the PS Store for months.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
CozMick said:
You should be glad that you have the option.

Most Collectors Edition content don't get to see the PS Store for months.

Not giving them more money anyways. To make it worse they are maps from KZ2, which I also already paid for. This shit is funny.

methos75

Banned
tmacairjordan87 said:
I just finished it on normal (I forget the killzone name for it) and it was one of the worst campaigns I've played in a shooter.

-Unbalanced. Why am I constantly getting gunned down almost instantly like in a call of duty game on veteran? It wouldn't be a huge issue if each helghast didn't take 100 shots to kill. I don't want to hear "ohhh turn it to easy". No, you balance your game to be not too hard and not too easy on Normal, that's what it's there for.

-bad friendly AI. "sorry Sev I can't reach you". Fuck off Rico, you're 2 feet away from me! Also, why are you shooting a wall?

-bad hit detection. When I'm shooting through a broken car, the only cover in site to stop me from getting 2 shotted again, why are my bullets bouncing off an invisble wall where the windows go?

-buggy. Rico got stuck several times when I needed him to move to access a computer, forcing a restart each time. If you pause during a cutscene, the lip synching becomes as much as 3 seconds off. I saw a grenade get stuck in mid air and teleport forward right into my face.

-too many on rails sections. I thought I was playing Killzone not Time Crisis. I don't mind a few but man they went overboard.

The story wasn't anything special either. It wasn't hard to understand, just completely forgettable. It was your typical over the top save the world with 2-3 super human people BS. I found myself battling the controls too, whether it was staying stuck to cover when I wanted to pull off or trying to get into what the game considers to be cover (crates that are taller than me are not cover apparently, only ones that leave half my body exposed to fire)

It had moments of fun, but it was tarnished by all the bad stuff. I wanted to test out multiplayer too but the campaign was so bad I'm too pissed to play right now.

LOL I am playing on Vet and I am finding the game vastly too easy, maybe you just suck

Facism

Day 1 paid map pack that is segragated away from the main matchmaking playlist. GENIUS IDEA YOU MUST SUPPORT IT.

Massa

Facism said:
Day 1 paid map pack that is segragated away from the main matchmaking playlist. GENIUS IDEA YOU MUST SUPPORT IT.

I thought most people that wanted that map pack got it for free.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Facism said:

It's actually a pretty cool idea... If you don't have Salamun/Blood Gracht (which is terrible on Bodycount only, and if I had known that, I would have implored others to vote for a KZ2 map that handled bodycount better, but that's besides the point), you don't ever play them and it doesn't interfere with matchmaking, and if you do, you can choose to play the maps or not. I rather like the implementation.

beast786 said:
The code for 24hr xp . Is it 24 hrs from activation in realtime or gameplay?

Real-time, so 24 hours from redemption.

tmacairjordan87 said:

Read my post again. I stated that you must not have played many FPS games because you claimed KZ3 to be unreasonably hard on Veteran, not because you disliked it and I don't. Don't need to derail anything.

First impressions from an hour and a half of campaign on normal:

* Graphics are even more detailed, but color and lighting seems washed out a bit. Too high contrast for me and I ended up having to adjust my TV settings to get a good picture. The detail might be just a little too much as it can be difficult to spot doorways, passageways and even enemies amidst all the visual noise. Killzone 2 seemed "cleaner" although it still had the same problems for me.

* Controls are spot on but I can't even notice anything resembling recoil. Its just aim and shoot - almost COD levels of fine tuning, but not quite. Still a little bit heavy on the acceleration and only the slightest bit of jump between shots. I'm OK with it even though I loved the feel of KZ2.

* I tried bashing through some half broken doorways with my melee attacks. I'd swing, and then wait a full second before seeing the door fragment to pieces. Pretty offputting to have so much delay.

* Enemies animate nicely, but you get the feeling that they need too many bullets to drop. I think its because they have no "wounded" transition between being fully healthy and being dead. You can hit them a few times, see them recoil from the shots and then they're right on your ass like nothing happened. Add just one more bullet and boom, they're dead. Makes combat feel a little too mechanical.

* While most of the game feels very proficient in terms of art, detail, sound, animations, etc, its missing whatever magical thing that ties all of it together. Battles don't feel organic, and I never once felt harried or at risk of being overrun by enemies. They pretty much keep to their cover most of the time. And nothing in the scenarios I've played make me feel any impetus to push forward, except for the usual "Get moving! We gotta go" being screamed, but I've played enough shooters to just phase that stuff out. There really is no rush at all unless you're playing an on-rails segment.

So yeah, each individual piece of the game has felt pretty stellar (except the delays for some actions) but its missing... soul. It also makes me appreciate the scenario design in a game like Reach even more - at least those battles felt organic - a true swinging pendulum of offense and defense across the battlefield that requires you to adapt and overcome. I'm hoping this aspect of the game improves as I get deeper into the campaign.

perineumlick said:
Read my post again. I stated that you must not have played many FPS games because you claimed KZ3 to be unreasonably hard on Veteran, not because you disliked it and I don't. Don't need to derail anything.

That's still an incredibly dumb assumption to make. I remember reading the original ME2 thread and how so many found it really hard on the highest difficulty, and I breezed through it. I didn't call them casuals or rpg noobs.

Levito

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
Just started single player and had to pause a cutscene for 10 min, I come back and the voice syncing is wayyyy off, weird bug.

Yeah this happened to me a few times as well.

Man

Move aim really rattles with vibration on. On most weapons it doesn't matter but with the Helghan burst fire for medium distances you might actually miss with vital bullets.

Top Bottom