• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

ultron87 said:
Remember you can change your initial spawn so you aren't always spawning way in the back. That helps to cut down a lot of the running time.

Of course that requires tacticians to have taken spawns first.

That's the problem people don't capture the points, and I don't like that the spots are predetermined.

Massa

dreamer3kx said:
Are the maps similar to the demos, the demo map was like a damn maze, hated it.

I have only played three maps so far but Frozen Dam (open beta) is the only one you could call "maze-like", though like Cornbread said you get totally used to it.

Arctower Landing is one of my favorite KZ2 maps and it felt a bit like that at first too.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Dibbz said:
Play as Tactician and help your team out.

It's hard though. One guy capturing TSP's is not enough since TSPs are usually defended AND guys can respawn once you put them down.

commish

dreamer3kx said:
Are the maps similar to the demos, the demo map was like a damn maze, hated it.

The demo map is actually probably the most straightfoward of maps.

darkwing

interesting that the R3 version is the steelcase one with the retro map pack, theme, songs, same price as a regular R3 SCE game

Massa

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
That's the problem people don't capture the points, and I don't like that the spots are predetermined.

Capture them yourself. If your team is getting owned to the point where even that is impossible then go to a different server, unfortunately that's nothing new when playing a somewhat tactical shooter with randoms.

scoobs

Anyone else playing with the alternative control scheme and finding it extremely hard to melee people :( I'm too used to playing w/ these controls to change but man I wish I could just press R1

commish

Massa said:
Capture them yourself. If your team is getting owned to the point where even that is impossible then go to a different server, unfortunately that's nothing new when playing a somewhat tactical shooter with randoms.

Yes, but with spawn grenades, it wasn't an issue (though there were different issues with spawn grenades).

Honestly, I suspect that using TSPs will be better for higher level play with organized teams. In pub matches, it's pretty frustrating at times.

JB1981 said:
The maps are an enormous step back from KZ2.

I am giving them a chance, but at first blush, I can't say that I disagree with your viewpoint. Why make them so busy and chaotic? At least the maps are awesome if you like sniping - most offer great lines of visibility for sniping.

JB1981 said:
The maps are an enormous step back from KZ2.
agreed. I only play turbine, graveyard, frozen dam and both retro maps. Pyrrhus crater and snowdrift are prob the worst maps ive ever played in a online MP game

Bread

Banned
One thing I don't like so far is the spawns, for some reason they'll spawn you facing completely random directions and it confuses me as to which way to go. This is especially true on the Boulevard map.

commish

fuzzyreactor said:
agreed. I only play turbine, graveyard, frozen dam and both retro maps. Pyrrhus crater and snowdrift are prob the worst maps ive ever played in a online MP game

That snowdrift map makes me want to punch the designer in the kidneys. It's such a WTF map that I can't believe it made it out of testing. The only positive is that it's so easy to go to the other base as an inf and melee the hell out of people.

Prothero

Neo Member
Is Blood Gracht from the Retro Map Pack not playable in Warzone? I can't select it. It's one of my favorite maps from Killzone 2.

JB1981

fuzzyreactor said:
Snowdrift is the worst map I have ever played in an online game.

Jim said:
Random thoughts time.

After playing through them again last night, in terms of audio, the charge-up sounds that the
MAWLR makes during the big ground battle
is so awesome. I really like that odd telephony/modem effect too for some reason.

Also at the end, in Elite, when
chasing down Stahl's ship, the second wave of attack ships that come at you
gave me a really hard time. They take you down almost instantly and it's hard to tell why.

I didn't read the spoiler parts because I didn't beat the game yet but the sound is really good, lots of unusual effects I wouldn't expect but give the game a unique atmosphere.

owlbeak

The game is amazing. Classes feel incredibly well balanced, graphics are a mind-fuck. I think Corinth Highway is the best looking moment in any video game I've ever played, hands down. Weapons are incredibly well balanced and do just the right amount of damage. My only complaints are (besides things being fixed that were announced in the patch) is that the WASP is a holy fucking terror on Corinth Highway and I think they ISA's search and destroy targets should be out of range from the WASP much like the Helghasts' are. Right now, the ISA S&D mission can get shut down from one or two Higs on the WASP turrets @ the museum. If you can't get up there to take them out, it's pretty much game over.

Other issue is with the Turbine Concourse map. The ISA is incredibly favored over the HG side. The ISA side has outdoor base turrets that will kill you even if you're not near the base. Not to mention there is much more cover on the ISA side and is much harder to access.

Other than that, this is probably my favorite multiplayer game ever. Well done, GG. :D

Edit: Also, the fact that there are STANDARDIZED servers is the best thing to happen to Killzone. I hated searching through KZ2 servers to find a Warzone game that had all the modes and all the classes and shit. It's very nice to just hit "Join Game" and be automatically put into the default game mode.

oneHeero

bryehn said:
I'd like to basically swap x/o on the navcon with the triangle and square on the gun itself, feels more natural to use them. Maybe I can, I tried it out briefly last night after a few beers waiting for dinner, but it just felt clunky and seeing a ds3 layout in the control options without a move one available annoyed me a bit.
From GG next patch.

Sharp shooter:

* Square button is mapped to Jump when using the Sharpshooter
* Adjusted the deadzone modifier when using the Sharpshooter

Turbine was a headache to get into. I was so enamoured with the jetpacks for awhile I didn't do much. But after a few game sessions with my friends we got it all down, and we were doing really good. just takes awhile to learn these maps it seems.

commish

TrAcEr_x90 said:
Turbine was a headache to get into. I was so enamoured with the jetpacks for awhile I didn't do much. But after a few game sessions with my friends we got it all down, and we were doing really good. just takes awhile to learn these maps it seems.

Probably my favorite new map, but mostly for the jetpacks. Those jetpacks are pretty awesome - no idea why so many people don't use them. I fly around and smash people's heads in as I float down.

So can I play MP and put my 24 hour double XP in another day and start my 24 hour double experience then. Or does it start when I log into MP anyways.

I want to get some MP in now, but I don't want to start my Double XP until tonight, so I can get two nights in MP! I might just start it now anyways, ugh.

Sethos

Banned
Disappointed by the fact the OST that's included with the CE is a code to download on the PSN - Not a separate disc. Is it possible to download, put on a USB stick and listen to on the PC or do I have to listen to it on the ... TV.

owlbeak

cjtiger300 said:
So can I play MP and put my 24 hour double XP in another day and start my 24 hour double experience then. Or does it start when I log into MP anyways.

I want to get some MP in now, but I don't want to start my Double XP until tonight, so I can get two nights in MP! I might just start it now anyways, ugh.
24 hours starts as soon as you enter your code into the PSN store. So if you want to play without double XP, don't enter the code until you want to. :)

DoomGyver

cjtiger300 said:

mr_nothin said that the clock starts ticking as soon as you enter the code. I think I'm just gonna enter it now because I want to download my shit. So if you enter it now at 1pm EST it will expire by tomorrow at 1pm est.

My luck the servers will poop out as soon as I enter it. :(

Horsebite said:
The game is amazing. Classes feel incredibly well balanced, graphics are a mind-fuck. I think Corinth Highway is the best looking moment in any video game I've ever played, hands down. Weapons are incredibly well balanced and do just the right amount of damage. My only complaints are (besides things being fixed that were announced in the patch) is that the WASP is a holy fucking terror on Corinth Highway and I think they ISA's search and destroy targets should be out of range from the WASP much like the Helghasts' are. Right now, the ISA S&D mission can get shut down from one or two Higs on the WASP turrets @ the museum. If you can't get up there to take them out, it's pretty much game over.

Other issue is with the Turbine Concourse map. The ISA is incredibly favored over the HG side. The ISA side has outdoor base turrets that will kill you even if you're not near the base. Not to mention there is much more cover on the ISA side and is much harder to access.

Other than that, this is probably my favorite multiplayer game ever. Well done, GG. :D

Edit: Also, the fact that there are STANDARDIZED servers is the best thing to happen to Killzone. I hated searching through KZ2 servers to find a Warzone game that had all the modes and all the classes and shit. It's very nice to just hit "Join Game" and be automatically put into the default game mode.

Nice impressions, I look forward to trying MP when I finish SP. I'm pacing myself with the campaign but I could easily finish it in one sitting.

Full Recovery said:
mr_nothin said that the clock starts ticking as soon as you enter the code. I think I'm just gonna enter it now because I want to download my shit. So if you enter it now at 1pm EST it will expire by tomorrow at 1pm est.

My luck the servers will poop out as soon as I enter it. :(

Thats what I'm worried about. I don't want the damn servers to screw up and ruin my XP, lol!

Lion Heart said:
I didn't read the spoiler parts because I didn't beat the game yet but the sound is really good, lots of unusual effects I wouldn't expect but give the game a unique atmosphere.

The music and shooting feels much more satisfying.

I said I'd try it for 10 minutes last night, and wound up playing until the Demo part.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
as always. in a couple of years all the haters will be begging for Killzone 3 maps in Killzone 4.

commish said:
Hmmm, not really. Nuketown is just ridiculous - nothing like that or Shipment etc in KZ3.
good

DoomGyver

cjtiger300 said:
Thats what I'm worried about. I don't want the damn servers to screw up and ruin my XP, lol!
Hmm screw it I'm gonna wait. Might as well work on the trophies first, there will be more meat on the battlefield this weekend anyways.

CartridgeBlower said:
So are people playing the SP with the Move right away, or saving it to give new life to a second playthrough?

playing with the Move in SP and MP from the start. Once it "clicked" in beta, I really don't see myself wanting to play with the DS3.

CozMick

Banned
Damn you Sony.

Why do they insist on releasing there games in a country that doesn't buy PS3 games before the continent that it was developed in?

ugh!

Top Bottom