• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

HooCares

Neo Member
I was about to make a MP impressions post so instead I'll add to yours. If your're interested in SP or MOVE do not read. I also had the unlock code (expiring any minute now). I put many many hours into KZ2 and so far have 10+ into this game.

commish said:
Engineer
First thing I noticed is that the sentry turrets have a nice damage boost from KZ2. I got quite a few kills from both the rockets and the gun. That sentry rocket is pretty wicked if the turret is placed in a good spot. You simply cannot ignore a turret if it is firing at you – you’ll die. The engineer’s level 3 gun is, of course, pretty uber. You can’t look down the sights, but if you crouch, if can mow people down. In CQB, forget about it – it’s a buzzsaw. I had a lot of fun playing this class, and I HATED Engineers in KZ2. I will be putting a ton of points into this class after inf & tactician because it’s a pretty fun class that can lock down a particular area/avenue of attack better than any other class.

The class I used the least. The HG LMG is in fact great at close range but apparently GG is nerfing it in the next patch (from their forums), reducing it's accuracy. I wish he had the trusty shotgun instead of 2 LMG's but whatever. Turrets are in fact great now, though you can only have 1 at a time per Engineer.

Tactician
I felt most useful to my team when I played tactician. There were a few games that I KNOW we won because I captured a key TSP. The M82 rifle is pretty damn good and the best assault rifle imo. Amazingly enough, that stupid Recon drone got me quite a few kills. I forgot about it a lot though. The rocket launcher secondary weapon is great and very useful for taking out walking mechs and for clearing out a TSP. I start almost every game as the Tactician class.

Capturing spawns on maps is much more fun than spawn grenades IMO. Though sometimes it can be very tough to dislodge the enemy from a spawn they already own (constant respawns) - this makes capturing at the start even more important. His UAV/Scan is very well balanced - very useful but has a reasonable cooldown.

Infiltrator
Sab was my favorite class in KZ2, by far, and it’s even better this time around. The shotgun is ridiculously powerful (which is a plus and a negative, depending on which end of the blast you are on) and the SMG and Assault rifle are pretty powerful as well. I usually opt for the assault rifle so I can kill from a distance. Of course, it’s a lot harder to tell that an infiltrator is an enemy in this game, and I definitely fooled a ton of people. You just have to play a certain way – you’d be amazed how something as simple as walking backwards fools people. On that map where it is snowing, I went wild and had a 12 melee kill streak before I was finally gunned down. Tons of fun. I definitely had my best K/D ratio with this class (I don’t snipe), and the class is really useful for S&D and assassination modes.

What he said. They are good overall and useful in Warzone with their unlimited sprinting and ability to plant/disarm bombs faster than other classes

Marksman
I spent the least amount of time as a Marksman because it’s not my style of play, but I sure was killed by a shitload of them. This was easily the most popular class, and I guess I understand why. You can get cloak and carry an assault rifle and a silenced machine pistol at the same time. On one map, this marksman went something like 45-1, and that death was by my hand as I stopped everything I was doing hunted him down for 15 minutes. I don’t complain about anything being OP, as everything has a counter, but being able to kill from cloak with the machine pistol and remain cloaked is more than a little annoying. The thing is is that these guys don’t do much to help their team to win (imo), but they don’t care – going 16-2 is their goal. It’s annoying when I’m facing them or when they are on my team, but that’s how I view snipers in *all* games. The maps are great for snipers though – plenty of good positions to camp with your rifle and snipe away. Scramble++ ability is good – you don’t realize how important your map is until it’s scrambled. It makes me a little paranoid when my radar gets scrambled because I know the marksman can kill me whenever he wants with his silenced machine pistol. Annoying but not game breaking or anything. Very useful to have on the front lines if the marksman doesn’t sit and snipe. I suspect that many organized teams will employ a marksman as a front line fighter armed with an assault rifle.

I don't think they are OP but they really don't have an effective counter. Infiltrator is countered by Tac Scan - but there is no way to spot a cloaked sniper now. I thought KZ2 had it right allowing the scan to pickup cloaked snipers. As gamers playing with randoms online, you;'d think GG would want to find ways to encourage players to use more team oriented classes like the Tactician - not make the already popular Snipers even more powerful.

Field Medic
I wish I could heal. I liked how, in KZ2, you start at full health but when hurt, you only heal up a certain percentage. That made medics even more useful, as every bit of health helps. No idea why that is gone. As everyone will say, the revive gun takes way too long to recharge. Further, I lost count of how many people tapped out instead of waiting for me to revive them. With mics and better teamwork, it would help, but there really should be some type of indicator that a medic is nearby or, at least, allow the dead guy to rotate his camera to see if anyone is running to assist. I also did not like the medic’s assault rifle or SMG – SMG seemed too weak (though I saw some others dominating with it) and the assault rifle needs to have full auto as the burst made it seem too weak as well. Triage++, the ability that allows you to resurrect from the dead, is a great ability. I was able to kill my killer quite a few times. Overall, though, I just didn’t feel that useful to my team as a medic, which is a shame because it was my second favorite class in KZ2.

This class IMO is a lot better than KZ2. GG got this right in making players WANT to be healed vs respawn. A fully unlocked medic will heal you with higher maximum health, full ammo and explosives. The Zombie ability is fantastic as well, and allows you to stay in the action. The droid is awesome as well. He will start shooting at anyone near you and can even score a kill after you are down, waiting to get up. I personally love the 3 round burst AR as well. It's my best gun and I can rock people closeup and snipe with it. I frequently kill players in one 3 round burst so I don't know where all this "health is too high: talk comes from.

Additional Thoughts

- After the first 10 hours I don't like the maps as much as KZ2's. Hopefully they will grow on me.

- The mechs seem fun and well balanced. I thought they would suck but I was wrong.

- The execution melee from behind is awesome and rewards the sneaky player.

- The execution melee from the front is stupid. It looks bad and is frustrating when it happens in game.

Fix this shit guerrilla

- when I'm downed, signal on my radar or with an icon if any medics are around so I know if it's worth waiting

- fix the infinite loop classic maps glitch (you can play the other maps by manually picking them in the preferences menu).

Pipe Dreams

- Make the tactician scan highlight/illuminate cloaked snipers in the Tac's vision (only that tac that scanned can see him). If a sniper is badass and isn't cloaked he isn't picked up. (we want to encourage people to be tacs, arguably the most important class in the game).

- Go back to normal healing only refills you to 75%, making medics healing aura even more useful.

- Allow the rocked launcher to lock on to mechs and bots. The mechs can dodge rockets too easily.

- Remove the ISA LMG or SMG from the Engineer and give him the shotgun.

A.R.K

Played through SP for about 1 hour last night on Vet.

- Game looks amazing. Period. No other FPS (at least on the console so far) can touch this. Art and tech combine together to create a world of destroyed beauty. But GG has really taken the 'grayzone lolz' comments to the heart and done exactly the opposite here. Honestly some colors are just too harsh. Still prefer the look of KZ2. Made it look so distinct from every thing else on the market.

- Again there is so much blowing and moving on the screen it just looks spectacular. Really feels you are in the middle of a big chaotic war. Just AMAZING!

- Story seems pretty interesting and well executed. Not as bad as the media has portrayed. Compared to the mess CODMW2 story was, this is like a 9/10. Honestly what the fuck is wrong with the media and their bias against KZ2.

- I should have not played the SP demo. Way to go GG for spoiling a surprise. To any one planning to buy the game, DO NOT play the SP demo. You'll enjoy it more.

- Controls feel responsive and tight. If any one complains now about them they should never touch a KZ game again.

4. The game plays great just like KZ2. But it also felt too similar to the level designs of KZ2 in the beginning. But it kept getting better as I moved further. Game play is a lot varied than KZ2. As I have read comments from many here, I think it keeps on getting better the further you go?

- The sniping section was fun. Almost felt like the Uncharted sniping sections but in first person

- I miss the comments that higgs will pass to taunt you or show fear in KZ2. They don't say much in KZ3. Disappointed a bit by that.

- Miss the exploding spiral gas canisters!!!

- love the new weapon system

- A.I is solid like KZ2, didn't see any thing new yet. But friendly A.I is much improved this time.

- The game streaming is still not as smooth as Uncharted. But still for a game that is so tech heavy its pretty good.

Overall I liked it a lot. Looking forward to play further.

After SP I tried the MP but was disappointed on how slow it was to get into a game. Tried a couple of game and then quit from frustration of waiting too long or getting errors. Hope things get better on the MP side soon!!!

oh thanks again for the slow load times in MP!!! WTF GG!!!

Just reached Captain II, and I'm starting to really warm up to the multiplayer. As someone who played a ton of KZ2 and loved it, some of the changes in KZ3 were really jarring at first. I'm just now starting to get a handle on the Tactician class (my KZ2 fav), and things are clicking. Can't wait to try using the dual primary perk with M82 and Shotgun!

I maxed out medic first, being able to stand back up is awesome and the silenced M82 rocks. Early on I hated the burst fire, but once you know how to use it - oh man, watch out. Wish the revive had a longer range, in KZ2 it was perfect imo.

So far I've been playing mostly Warzone (Operations is my fav but not enough maps!!!), and the maps I've enjoyed most are Bilgarsk (sp?) Blvd and P-Crater. Bilgarsk is just so pretty and P-Crater was really fun (wish they'd tone down the Radio-active green though). I don't like MAWL Graveyard yet - it's ugly and confusing to me. Amir Snowdrift is cool, but I seem to get a lot of framerate issues when playing it. None of the other maps have really left any impression on me yet. I have the retro pack of course, but I liked KZ2's SM better and I haven't played BG.

Count me as one of the KZ2 vets who think the controls/shooting are an improvement in KZ3. I was one of the haters, but now I believe.

Honestly my biggest nitpick is the HUD - it's just so ugly imo. I know you can turn it off, but I don't want to - I want it to be sexy. The HUD worked in KZ2 because the game looked grittier, but in KZ3 it's just........flat and obtrusive. Sucks because the HUD during the single player intro was cool, albeit impractical. Other than that I'm pretty pleased, good job GG!

Cruzader said:
Anyone got TTP's Move settings? Im starting to give up on it.

there is no ideal move setting that you will find somebody post. it will totally be different with each person based on their TV size, distance playing from TV, personal preferences, etc. The best thing you can do is to go into a bot match and keep playing with the settings until you find one that feels right for you.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
InaVent said:
Just beat this garbage of a mess single player - 4hr sp, really. Ending poop.

lol, oh please. there is no way you beat this in 4 hours unless you played on easy and skipped all cutscene.

JWong

Banned
I have like...

none
hold
hold

I'm right up at the desk only half a metre away. I really like the small width box since it reminds me of old KZ2 controls of inertia turning.

tmacairjordan87 said:
That's still an incredibly dumb assumption to make. I remember reading the original ME2 thread and how so many found it really hard on the highest difficulty, and I breezed through it. I didn't call them casuals or rpg noobs.
Well, if you decided to play the game on Veteran, is it dumb for me to assume that you are experienced at FPS games? Come on man, read what you are saying.

Violater

Some of these levels have some really questionable art decisions.

Then I go up a fucking flight of stairs to take an elevator down? whoever designed this neon blue level has shit for brains.

So what's the general consensous on the story for this game. Good, bad? The critics generally didn't care for the games narrative or it's presentation and I'm hearing mixed opinions in this thread.
From the demo I felt things seemed a little hoaky, but the set pieces were thrilling and bombastic and certainly made me feel engaged with the proceedings. Maybe not on an Uncharted level but it seems (again from the demo and latest trailer) like a fun ride I could get into. Does it ramp up toward the end like a good action movie?

Also - first post on GAF! Woot. Thanks for authorizing me guys! After years of lurking I join the elitist club...

perineumlick said:
Well, if you decided to play the game on Veteran, is it dumb for me to assume that you are experienced at FPS games? Come on man, read what you are saying.

I did read what I said, and I played on normal. I said I died in K3 about as quick as COD on veteran.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
HooCares said:
I was about to make a MP impressions post so instead I'll add to yours. If your're interested in SP or MOVE do not read. I also had the unlock code (expiring any minute now). I put many many hours into KZ2 and so far have 10+ into this game.

Additional Thoughts

- After the first 10 hours I don't like the maps as much as KZ2's. Hopefully they will grow on me.

- The mechs seem fun and well balanced. I thought they would suck but I was wrong.

- The execution melee from behind is awesome and rewards the sneaky player.

- The execution melee from the front is stupid. It looks bad and is frustrating when it happens in game.

Fix this shit guerrilla

- when I'm downed, signal on my radar or with an icon if any medics are around so I know if it's worth waiting

- fix the infinite loop classic maps glitch (you can play the other maps by manually picking them in the preferences menu).

Pipe Dreams

- Make the tactician scan highlight/illuminate cloaked snipers in the Tac's vision (only that tac that scanned can see him). If a sniper is badass and isn't cloaked he isn't picked up. (we want to encourage people to be tacs, arguably the most important class in the game).

- Go back to normal healing only refills you to 75%, making medics healing aura even more useful.

- Allow the rocked launcher to lock on to mechs and bots. The mechs can dodge rockets too easily.

- Remove the ISA LMG or SMG from the Engineer and give him the shotgun.

Yeah, I agree with all of your suggestions. There's a lot of bitching about marksmen on the forums, so I think there will be a compromise made, if only to thin out the mass marksmen that spawn every game.

Because of your comments, I'm going to give the medic another shot. Unfortunately, it'll be a long time from now since I have already spent 30+ points into engineer, tacticians and infiltrators.

tmacairjordan87 said:
Well not really. I was able to clear all the call of duties and halos on veteran/legendary. This was just a harder than normal shooter.

I'm just busting your balls. I'm no master at shooters, but I did find KZ3 to be pretty easy on Veteran though. Elite might be a different story.

This game has hard locked on me 3 times already since yesterday while loading multiplayer wtf. Combined with the super long start up to the game and long loading times, and that's a recipe for killing my urge to play.

perineumlick said:
I'm just busting your balls. I'm no master at shooters, but I did find KZ3 to be pretty easy on Veteran though. Elite might be a different story.

Ah, sorry then :)

I'll probably give it a run through elite since other than that it seems like an easy platinum, and now that I feel like I've been challenged on here to do it :p

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Lagspike_exe said:
Check the blog on the official website.

Don't see it. There was a patch yesterday which is the one mentioned in the blog, but there was also another one today.

I am just waiting for the ADS sensitivity and squad-only chat.

HooCares

Neo Member
commish said:
Yeah, I agree with all of your suggestions. There's a lot of bitching about marksmen on the forums, so I think there will be a compromise made, if only to thin out the mass marksmen that spawn every game.

Because of your comments, I'm going to give the medic another shot. Unfortunately, it'll be a long time from now since I have already spent 30+ points into engineer, tacticians and infiltrators.

I've had several games where the droid has 5 plus kills.

A few things to note about the droid:

- If you're behind cover it will often lean up or around and take shots at guys you can't even see.

- It will shoot at guys very far away that it has no hope of hitting, giving your position away - it's best in close quarters. Do not use it if you are sneaking around.

- When it is destroyed it will sometimes damage you (sometimes enough to kill you or prevent your Zombie rise).

I finished story mode today. I loved it all, very very good game. Then, I started playing the mulitplayer, and I'm liking it quite a bit. Playing the same map over and over again from the retro pack needs to be fixed. Also, I can't wait till they release that important patch that they said they would release that would fix quite a bit of stuff in the multiplayer.

First multi player game, I went 42~19 and went from rank 1 to 6. Lol. I play tactician and feel like I'm a big part to why my team wins. Played 3 games and won all 3, with two of them winning 7~0.

fernoca

My Move settings are (I think) the default ones (50,50,20,30). I only calibrate at the beginning of each playthrough and that's it. Haven't changed anything else and it works perfectly.

I'm finding this game pretty frustrating right now. I feel like I die way too quickly. I peak my head out and I'm immediately dead, I try to run to a different piece of cover I'm dead, I try to heal Rico or melee a guy. Dead. It's cool for later in the game levels, but for all this to happen so early in the game, I'm no so sure I want to stick around.

I'm also running to a bunch of strange bugs that are either hurting the presentation or are outright screwing up the game. Some notable ones were audio issues where voices cut off unexpectedly or the dialogue starts skipping and they'll say the same word multiple times in a row. It's happened quite a few times already and I'm only on the third mission. There was also an error where a tank was supposed to drive in and fight some guys but just stayed parked until I died, and another while I was a tank gunner a pillar of smoke was directly in my view making it impossible to shoot the guys on a nearby ledge. Maybe I'm having bad luck. I don't know.

Full Recovery said:
Killzone 3 is easier than KZ2, and both are easier than COD on Vet (KZ has far fewer cheap moments/situations).

Not for me. I don't remember dying this much in 2 until that last battle.

Sidzed2

I'm hesitant to post anything because it might be construed as a spoiler, but... here we go:

I'm up to Chapter 7 (of 9), playing on normal ('Trooper') difficulty, and I have mixed feelings about the game at the moment.

On the positive side, the controls are tremendous, the visuals are gorgeous and the campaign is very enjoyable. However, I can't help shake the feeling that Killzone 3 is a little rough around the edges and unsure of itself.

Guerilla seems desperate to ape the schizophrenic Michael Bay pacing of later Call of Duty titles... vehicular sections, turret sections, stealth components and the like are good ways to break up the action, I suppose, but to be honest the most compelling part of the Killzone franchise (especially 2) was the grueling, steady march through the battlefield... Whenever Killzone 3 is focussing on its core combat (as it is in the first chapter), it's just about the best first-person experience there is. But whenever it tries something 'wild' and wacky it shoots itself in the foot.

So far, this is a great game and a fun game. But it isn't quite the sequel to Killzone 2 that I, personally, was expecting. I suppose I'll be able to gather my thoughts properly when I've finished the game a few times.

//B1G

Banned
guys, i've got locked out of my main account because of some stupid stuff about my account not being a master, so now i can't log in. needless to say now i have no one online in this, and i'd really like to! hit me up dudes, i'm lonely
cheeseburgerhill

Sidzed2 said:
I'm hesitant to post anything because it might be construed as a spoiler, but... here we go:

I'm up to Chapter 7 (of 9), playing on normal ('Trooper') difficulty, and I have mixed feelings about the game at the moment.

On the positive side, the controls are tremendous, the visuals are gorgeous and the campaign is very enjoyable. However, I can't help shake the feeling that Killzone 3 is a little rough around the edges and unsure of itself.

Guerilla seems desperate to ape the schizophrenic Michael Bay pacing of later Call of Duty titles... vehicular sections, turret sections, stealth components and the like are good ways to break up the action, I suppose, but to be honest the most compelling part of the Killzone franchise (especially 2) was the grueling, steady march through the battlefield... Whenever Killzone 3 is focussing on its core combat (as it is in the first chapter), it's just about the best first-person experience there is. But whenever it tries something 'wild' and wacky it shoots itself in the foot.

So far, this is a great game and a fun game. But it isn't quite the sequel to Killzone 2 that I, personally, was expecting. I suppose I'll be able to gather my thoughts properly when I've finished the game a few times.
They've taken the main criticism of the last game to heart (that it was a monotonous combat slog..I didnt think it was) and threw in an excess amount of on rails bonanza.

george_us

theignoramus said:
They've taken the main criticism of the last game to heart (that it was a monotonous combat slog..I didnt think it was) and threw in an excess amount of on rails bonanza.
And cutscenes.

Christ almighty there are a lot of cutscenes.

play yesterday up to jungle level, that was instense, although I died quite a bit during the mech part because I can't see the enemy to well and where the shot come from.

anyway I'm thinking to restart and start the game on higher difficulty. not that I find the normal too easy, but I want to try the highest difficulty on my second playthrough so I don't want the jump from normal to highest difficulty to throw me off.

Overall I'd say this is an improvement over 2 in every way but the little things (custom soundtracks, statistics page?) that are absent bug me. Hopefully GG will patch those in.

Bought this but I've been too enamored with Bulletstorm to play unshrinkwrap this. I never quite got Killzone 2 and I eventually moved on to something else. Hopefully this will be better.

Does Joystiq's complaint about it not being fun ring true at all?

george_us

BigNastyCurve said:
Bought this but I've been too enamored with Bulletstorm to play unshrinkwrap this. I never quite got Killzone 2 and I eventually moved on to something else. Hopefully this will be better.

I don't know about it not being 'fun' but I'm definitely finding the campaign to be mediocre at best. I agree 100% with the poster who said that the game's individual parts are really good but it just doesn't come together in a compelling way. For me, most of that has to do with the barely above average level design. Something about the graphics are also bothering me despite it being a fantastic looking game from a technical perspective.

BigNastyCurve said:

Not at all, the game is incredibly fun, with satisfying gunplay, varied levels and gameplay, great SP in my opinion.

Personally I though Joystiqs review wasn't good at all, saying the guns feel the same (lolwut), saying the game is a mindless shooting gallery, never disagreed with a review more in my life.

Top Bottom