• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

aristotle

Anyone else having audio issues? My receiver (5.1) sounds perfect on movies/tv/other games. The blasts and explosions sound really muffled when I play KZ3 though. Everything sounds fine, but the big explosions and other loud audio. Voices are crisp and clear and the gun sounds are fine. Even the footsteps sound good. I can't figure it out.

aristotle said:
Anyone else having audio issues? My receiver (5.1) sounds perfect on movies/tv/other games. The blasts and explosions sound really muffled when I play KZ3 though. Everything sounds fine, but the big explosions and other loud audio. Voices are crisp and clear and the gun sounds are fine. Even the footsteps sound good. I can't figure it out.

I noticed this in the cutscenes - i think it's a really bad mix along with the bink video compression.

Areas where there should be explosions everywhere just sounded kinda dull and muffled here as well. I have my center channel turned up a bit because dialog is typically quiet but I played through DS2 a few weeks back on the same system and it sounded exceptional.

aristotle

OK good. I never really paid attention to it just being cutscenes. I'll blame the Bink then. I thought I didn't turn an audio option on or my audio output system settings were wrong.

njean777

Violater said:
Boy I once though the assault class was an obnoxious and unbalanced class, but it was a somewhat singular element.
Now the whole game seems to have taken an overpowered turn for the worst.

Now I will say this before the KZ elite rips me to shreds, I don't play video games nearly as much as most of you guys. But a couple of my buddies and I that pick up games from time to time (but are by no means new to gaming) made more or less the same observations.

Mortar strikes: Even worst than a COD game, the mortar strikes in KZ2 are not rewards based on any achievement. Just camp the spawn point, claim your "prize" and proceed to make the game even more chaotic.

Mechs: Really wish these were not on so many maps, or at least reduce the number to 1 per team and make sure that no team cannot take one from the enemy base. Abandoned mechs on the battlefield are fair game.

The Wasp: Being able to lock onto people plus the cool down rate needs to be looked at.

Sentry Robots and Turrets:Once used to wage war on each other, now shoot you with rockets on site or hunt you down and kill you while hiding behind cover.

Infiltrator: unlimited sprint, running through your bullets and performing an automatic melee kill from 4 steps away. Melee kills should always take 2 hits facing a person and 1 when approaching from behind.

Spawn system: Gone are the days when one industrious tactician could turn the tide in a game. I think the best solution would be to bring back the spawning on a squad leader, without spawn invincibility.

Map "Design" : I assume some of these buildings were at one time "functional" in some way. Yet most times the pathways seem redundant and the exits so narrow create a bottleneck allowing for spawn camping of an unseen before magnitude. Place the sentry robot outside the base exit, adjust its sensor range; remove the enemy's ability to snipe you inside your base or flank you as you walk out of your base.
Additionally for gods sake put at least one ammo crate back inside the protection of the base.

Obligatory FIX THIS SHIT GUERRILLA

I agree with the wasp turrets, they really need to either get rid of them or do some serious nerfing to them.

The base camping also on snowdrift is really bad the helghast are so screwed if the ISA gets the spawn points which thanks to their spawn is incredibly easy for the ISA to do in the first 10 seconds of the game.

And I have been saying this since the beta but they really need to take out brutal melee in the mp portion of them game. I role infiltrator the most and I kill the assassination target like nothing thanks to the brutal melee. It's stupid and cheap cuz it grabs you in the animation which is seriously stupid.

I enjoy the game way more then cod but somethings are really bothering me about it. Brutal melee and wasp turrets are the two main problems I have.

H_Prestige said:
What is GG's obsession with making everything daytime now? Blood Gracht looks like complete shit. It's lost all of its cool atmosphere from KZ2.
Blood Gracht is fine in the daytime, it's Salamun Market that it clearly inferior in the daytime compared to nighttime.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
aristotle said:
OK good. I never really paid attention to it just being cutscenes. I'll blame the Bink then. I thought I didn't turn an audio option on or my audio output system settings were wrong.

Bink is a video codec.

Blood Gracht and Salamun Market will put an end to the Killzone 3 multiplayer just as it did with Killzone 2... it took me 5 minutes to find a game that wasn't constantly running one of these maps.

X-Frame

mercenar1e said:
Blood Gracht and Salamun Market will put an end to the Killzone 3 multiplayer just as it did with Killzone 2... it took me 5 minutes to find a game that wasn't constantly running one of these maps.

Seriously. Who would've thought that Day 1 DLC would split the community up so much and make finding KZ3 maps such a hassle. What was GG thinking making the DLC maps their own playlist?

I mean I understand it because not everyone will have them and if it's in a regular playlist people will get booted but still .. they should've just been fucking available to everyone who buys a game new .. not pre-order.

BeeDog

The trophies related to the Retro Pack, can they be earned in Botzone or do you have to play online? Haven't touched MP at all yet.

Zen

Banned
I've heard that it's actually a glitch right now that if you select 'any' in warzone and have the DLC, it will always put you in Salamun Market. So I've heard. I haven't had any problems finding other maps to play on.

Zen

Banned
upJTboogie said:
Blood Gracht is fine in the daytime, it's Salamun Market that it clearly inferior in the daytime compared to nighttime.

Dissagree. Salamun looks leagues better than the new Gratch. Gratch has much worse readability than the new Salamun. Gratch just looks washed out to me, but Salamun has very nice daytime lighting going on.

DoomGyver

Thrakier said:
I don't believe that they will tone down graphical effects to fix the framerate. This simply won't happenn.
I would gladly give up footprints and some other textures in MP if it meant a bump in framerate. When there are 24 people on Salamun market, WASPs and EXOs bombarding you, shaking your screen the framerate has to be in the low 20s. I know it's bad enough that sometimes I have trouble aiming/turning due to the lack of frames. (overcompensation, or lack there of while turning) 8v8 or lower games have a much better framerate.

I got a 40$ giftcard for picking up killzone and bulletstorm at TRU, and was thinking about getting Move, does this game benefit from move controls? Or make it a better experience? And hows the 3D in this game?

aristotle said:
This I know, but the audio is only muffled on cutscenes. :p

I am also witnessing a significant difference in the volume of cutscenes compared to ingame. In fact, there are a lot of audio problems in this game, from drastic changes in volume, to stuttering speach loops, to completely missing sounds and effects.

I am also really disappointed with the low audio on grenades in MP. Many times I have overcooked a grenade because I can barely hear the beeping - yet often it will get louder when I throw it away from myself.

Thrakier

Question for move players:

Did you deactivate rumble for MP? Is it a huge advantade? I probably would do it if it is, though shooting is much more fun with rumble on.

Thrakier said:
Question for move players:

Did you deactivate rumble for MP? Is it a huge advantade? I probably would do it if it is, though shooting is much more fun with rumble on.

Yeah I'd like to know this, too. People say to turn it off in SP, too, but I loved the feel of it and left it on. But if it's going to put me at a sizable disadvantage when I get into MP, I'll probably take it off.

fernoca

Haven't turned off (Move) rumble in my case. I think it adds to it. Granted as I've said before, I haven't had any problems with calibrations, cursors or aiming in general.

No problems in multiplayer neither. Well,I sometimes kill more than 10; sometimes kill only 1, but I'm used to that in multiplayer FPS games. There was a match that I killed none, but had 10 assists. :p (focusing as an Infiltrator)

I turned it off because of the annoying sound it makes when vibrating in the Sharpshooter, and noticed my aim improve a bit as a result. Keeping it off, now.

Arnie

What a terrible ending. My impressions of the final couple of hours and a short summation of my overall experience.

I wish I hadn't played Reach before this game because it makes Killzone's space flight section feel like "my first space shooter" and pretty much underlines the difference between a developer like Bungie and a developer like Guerrilla.

Gameplay wise was there any difference between that on rails flight section and any other of the on rails vehicle sections which fill the game? No. R1 for a machine gun, R2 for rockets, how predictably underwhelming.

There's also a wealth of trial and error involved as you follow a scripted path with scripted enemies, again completely devoid of any user autonomy. This was underlined perfectly with the "press O to drop nuke" that concluded your "participation" in the game.

I even found the low gravity section to be fairly pointless because they didn't make use of it. You just ran down the same corridors and hid in the same types of cover you had done before, except this time things seemed to be slowed down and enemies flew away once they'd died.

I also hated the stupid bots they started throwing at you in the space station. They were just big floating bullet sponges that flew towards me in a ball of fire once I'd killed them.

The only redeeming quality from that final two hours was the revelation that Visari might not be dead after all, and thank god, because the two antagonists they introduced (as I predicted) were devoid of much character and charisma. They were your by the numbers, evil enemies.

Early impressions in this thread indicated this game was "the shooter of the generation", I bought it to see if I could corroborate this. As far as I'm concerned, reviews like EDGE's were spot on, this is just a decent shooter. Some parts are great, like the stealth jungle section or the sniping in the junk yard, but there's too much fluff thrown in like the numerous on rails sections or the desperation to change environments every five seconds.

Got to say I love the AI though, makes the combat highly satisfying and replayable.

Outtrigger888 said:
I got a 40$ giftcard for picking up killzone and bulletstorm at TRU, and was thinking about getting Move, does this game benefit from move controls? Or make it a better experience? And hows the 3D in this game?

I LOVE the move controls in KZ3. As I said in the other thread, I really feel that it's one of the best examples of motion gaming at it's finest. Wii, Move, or Kinect. It's extremely responsive, accurate and just a blast to play with, feels like KZ3 was built from the beginning with it in mind.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I love the multiplayer so far. Would really like to get in on some GAF games the next couple of days. The singleplayer is a resounding meh. The sound design is all over the place.

Forsete

Love this game.

Completed the SP campaign yesterday in coop, now I will run through it again alone. So beautiful, the in game sound is fantastic. The cutscene audio seems to be buggy though (very low volume on the effects in the background).

WrikaWrek

Banned
Do i need to finish Killzone 2 before i jump on this? I don't like Killzone 2 SP that much but i am far in the game.

Gonna get it tomorrow, will move on to it after i finish Bulletstorm.

Atruvius

WrikaWrek said:
Do i need to finish Killzone 2 before i jump on this? I don't like Killzone 2 SP that much but i am far in the game.

I'd say yes. It's a direct continuation of KZ2's story. You'll miss a lot if you don't play it first.

Zoibie

Square Triangle said:
I LOVE the move controls in KZ3. As I said in the other thread, I really feel that it's one of the best examples of motion gaming at it's finest. Wii, Move, or Kinect. It's extremely responsive, accurate and just a blast to play with, feels like KZ3 was built from the beginning with it in mind.

I don't think I'll be using Move in MP, where it's more frantic, but I'll definitely be giving it a go in SP after I finish it. It's strange though, in the MP 'beta', the controls felt more responsive than in the SP demo: specifically the twist to reload action. Don't know if that was just me but I hope it's not like that in the final game.

btkadams

WrikaWrek said:

i actually stopped midway in kilzone 2 when it released and only pushed through like 6 months ago. i found it much more enjoyable and the last half of the game i found to be the best.

Any fix to the preorder map pack bug where all you ever get to play is Blood Gracht and Salamun?

It's driving me nuts, I'm kicking myself for installing the pack.

I finished this before going to work earlier so I didn't have time to ask. I have one question.

What did I miss?

As soon as the credits rolled I started to get ready for work, I figured there might be something after the credits, I left the room for a few minutes and the credits were still rolling when I got back, after they finished it returned me to the start screen.

Killzone 3 already has the worst single player campaign i've experienced this generation and i'm having trouble accepting the ending. It is so fucking bad it almost makes me forget how crap everything else was. There must be something missing, as ending the story with the genocide of an entire race is pathetic.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
JB1981 said:
Why does it take about two thousand bullets from the jetpack rifle to kill someone

Not my experience. I move them down from above like I'm the angel of death.

angelfly

dreamer3kx said:
Purchased Move just for this, damn I dont think I will get used to it, we'll see. : (
It definitely takes some getting used to. My first night with it ended in frustration and going back to the DS3. The next day I spent a long in multiplayer with bots tweaking the setting and at the same time getting in some good practice with it. It's now my preferred method of play.

Mik2121

ukresistance said:
I finished this before going to work earlier so I didn't have time to ask. I have one question.

What did I miss?

As soon as the credits rolled I started to get ready for work, I figured there might be something after the credits, I left the room for a few minutes and the credits were still rolling when I got back, after they finished it returned me to the start screen.

Killzone 3 already has the worst single player campaign i've experienced this generation and i'm having trouble accepting the ending. It is so fucking bad it almost makes me forget how crap everything else was. There must be something missing, as ending the story with the genocide of an entire race is pathetic.
There was a bit of video after the first bunch of credits.

Also, worst single player campaign you've experienced this generation?..

What other games have you played?

Haven't entered the code I got with the collectors edition yet.

If I go online for botzone to practice with the Move, it won't eat into my 24 hours of double XP right?

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
After playing for 7 hours with the DS3, I cautiously decided to give the Move controls a 30min run-around, worrying that it might ruin my K/D ratio if I gave it any more time. First impressions weren't good, as I felt I needed to shift my arm around too much to rotate my POV, which ultimately made movement less responsive. In the end, I read around the net and found recommendations for this setup:

X Dead Zone =0
Y Dead Zone = 0
Cursor Sensitivity = 0
Turning Speed = 70
Aiming type = Hold

After that tweak, I played for 3 hours straight, and placed at least 2nd in each game. Far from soiling my records, it actually improved them (with my K/D up by 0.7). It's especially good for tracking running targets with SMGs and ARs, which can be a hard movement to meter out with the DS3 stick. Definitely a surprise, and if these results hold out I'll certainly be using it as my default setup.

Cataferal said:
After playing for 7 hours with the DS3, I cautiously decided to give the Move controls a 30min run-around, worrying that it might ruin my K/D ratio if I gave it any more time. First impressions weren't good, as I felt I needed to shift my arm around too much to rotate my POV, which ultimately made movement less responsive. In the end, I read around the net and found recommendations for this setup:

X Dead Zone =0
Y Dead Zone = 0
Cursor Sensitivity = 0
Turning Speed = 70
Aiming type = Hold

After that tweak, I played for 3 hours straight, and placed at least 2nd in each game. Far from soiling my records, it actually improved them (with my K/D up by 0.7). It's especially good for tracking running targets with SMGs and ARs, which can be a hard movement to meter out with the DS3 stick. Definitely a surprise, and if these results hold out I'll certainly be using it as my default setup.

Its also exceptional for CQC because of that.

DoomGyver

Galvanise_ said:
Haven't entered the code I got with the collectors edition yet.

If I go online for botzone to practice with the Move, it won't eat into my 24 hours of double XP right?
As soon as you enter the code the clock starts ticking. In other words, if you enter the code at 12am, it will expire at 12am the next day whether you play multiplayer or not.

Two questions:

1.) Why does the game spawn me with 96 bullets and make me run to the ammo crate to get more EVERY time I respawn?

2.) Why the hell do I only get Salamun Market map for warzone every frickin time? I have spent the last two days playing this map and its getting old.

Full Recovery said:
As soon as you enter the code the clock starts ticking. In other words, if you enter the code at 12am, it will expire at 12am the next day whether you play multiplayer or not.

Right, I'm going to hold off until Monday then. Everyone is out of the house all day.

Oh, and that attractive blonde gamer girl added me on PSN.

cnizzle06

Banned
I gotta say, I'm having a blast with this game. The single player, though rough around the edges, was still enjoyable. And the multiplayer is just a ball of fun. I love how each map has it's own unique identity comprised of outstanding visuals. I just finished fully upgrading my tactician; it's gratifying capturing spawn points in order to help your team advance. And maybe I'm just not a schtickler, but I really haven't noticed any significant bog downs frame rate wise. This new release purchase, thankfully, is justified.

DoomGyver

TheExecutive said:
Two questions:

1.) Why does the game spawn me with 96 bullets and make me run to the ammo crate to get more EVERY time I respawn?

2.) Why the hell do I only get Salamun Market map for warzone every frickin time? I have spent the last two days playing this map and its getting old.
1.) You can pick up other weapons you know, and also you automatically pick up ammo from dead bodies with the same weapon. Also gives the engineer a responsibility.
2.) Go to map preferences and select a map other than salamun market/blood gratch. It's a known issue and it will be fixed "asap".

jorma

is now taking requests
Full Recovery said:

I might as well add that the other bonus where you get everything unlocked for 24 hous counts effective time spent online. If anyone is wondering about that =)

Top Bottom