• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

I'll post this again about my theory on the ending. If anyone wishes to discuss.

the daughter in the beginning pulled her hand away so it most likely was Visari double so in the end when the hazmat troopers were at the capsule it was prob the real Visari.....

Halcyon

I have a couple of random questions about the game.

I just unlocked the use two primary weapons perk. I have all the medic skills unlocked. Is that the end of unlocks for a single class? All the points from now forward would have to go to the other classes. I know kz2 you had to get the ribbons so you could have better stuff or use more abilities, but it doesn't look like im gonna be getting any more medic stuff and I still have a ton of levels to go.

Other question. Does anyone know what all the triage bot does? I know it shoots at stuff but is that it? Is that just how the game is explaining me reviving myself? I feel like if its called a triage robot it should provide some sort of medical use. It seems to just want to kill.....

JB1981

Facism said:
seriously. then you get the insecure guys disparaging the views of people who don't like the mp design like it affects their personal enjoyment of the game.

we;'re allowed to complain about shit design, discuss terrible ideas and have some banter. if it affects your enjoyment of the game so much use the bloody ignore feature.
Just shut up and do your best to enjoy the game you ungrateful swine.

Derp.

fernoca

Haha, just laughing at how a typo someone made earlier became some kind of meme with avatars and everything.
Gorilla/Guerilla

Violater

Boy I once though the assault class was an obnoxious and unbalanced class, but it was a somewhat singular element.
Now the whole game seems to have taken an overpowered turn for the worst.

Now I will say this before the KZ elite rips me to shreds, I don't play video games nearly as much as most of you guys. But a couple of my buddies and I that pick up games from time to time (but are by no means new to gaming) made more or less the same observations.

Mortar strikes: Even worst than a COD game, the mortar strikes in KZ2 are not rewards based on any achievement. Just camp the spawn point, claim your "prize" and proceed to make the game even more chaotic.

Mechs: Really wish these were not on so many maps, or at least reduce the number to 1 per team and make sure that no team cannot take one from the enemy base. Abandoned mechs on the battlefield are fair game.

The Wasp: Being able to lock onto people plus the cool down rate needs to be looked at.

Sentry Robots and Turrets:Once used to wage war on each other, now shoot you with rockets on site or hunt you down and kill you while hiding behind cover.

Infiltrator: unlimited sprint, running through your bullets and performing an automatic melee kill from 4 steps away. Melee kills should always take 2 hits facing a person and 1 when approaching from behind.

Spawn system: Gone are the days when one industrious tactician could turn the tide in a game. I think the best solution would be to bring back the spawning on a squad leader, without spawn invincibility.

Map "Design" : I assume some of these buildings were at one time "functional" in some way. Yet most times the pathways seem redundant and the exits so narrow create a bottleneck allowing for spawn camping of an unseen before magnitude. Place the sentry robot outside the base exit, adjust its sensor range; remove the enemy's ability to snipe you inside your base or flank you as you walk out of your base.
Additionally for gods sake put at least one ammo crate back inside the protection of the base.

Obligatory FIX THIS SHIT GUERRILLA

spiderman123 said:
I'll post this again about my theory on the ending. If anyone wishes to discuss.

the daughter in the beginning pulled her hand away so it most likely was Visari double so in the end when the hazmat troopers were at the capsule it was prob the real Visari.....

Alright here's what I don't get.
When the daughter pulls her hand away, Visari gives that speech and the camera zooms in to his blue eyes. Later, the next cutscene shows a dead Visari with brownish eyes. So assuming that the real Visari was the one with the blue eyes, why would the daughter pull her hand away from him?

Violater said:
Additionally for gods sake put at least one ammo crate back inside the protection of the base.

Obligatory FIX THIS SHIT GUERRILLA

Here, here on that shit. It's kind of ridiculous that if you happen to get stuck with a team full of retarded engineers that don't repair ammo crates, there's absolutely NO way to get extra ammo. One indestructible crate at base would fix this.

The spawning system is the biggest problem I think, at least in Warzone. If you don't have Tacticians on that immediately your team is screwed. That's fine for an organized group with defined roles, but for general pub play it ends up being a disaster. Once the other team gets control the points are incredibly hard to retake since respawn time is only a few seconds, especially on larger maps where there are too few spawnpoints that are spaced out to much. Salamun Market is the only map that doesn't have this problem, as it has plenty of spawnpoints.

They should have just made Tacticians themselves be mobile spawnpoints, that would have alleviated the toss-spawn-beacon-into-objective clusterfuck from KZ2 and not made spawning entirely fixed to certain spots.

Is there anything GG can do about the awful quality of some of the cutscenes? During the jungle chapter for example, I was getting a ton of macroblocking and what appeared to be tearing.

CozMick

Banned
Anyone elses Personal statistics not updating?

I have recieved mulitple "Faster Reload" ribbons yet it still says I have 0 (Zero)

Everything else is updating but not this ribbon :(

Xater

CozMick said:
Anyone elses Personal statistics not updating?

I have recieved mulitple "Faster Reload" ribbons yet it still says I have 0 (Zero)

Everything else is updating but not this ribbon :(

Seems to be working fine for me. Only thing weird is that it says I have not earned a faster reload ribbon although I already did. Everything else is there though.

CozMick

Banned
Xater said:
Seems to be working fine for me. Only thing weird is that it says I have not earned a faster reload ribbon although I already did. Everything else is there though.

Exactly the same is happening to me.

Everything is updating except this ribbon.

Wow Salumun market with the new Mechs is quite the clusterfuck, I would have preferred if they left it alone, and kept it in the nighttime.

Thrakier

TTP said:
Terrible netcode (lots of teleporting) and engine performance (can barely stick to 30fps - it's 20 most of the time) are *really* killing it.

I can stand one or two matches. Then I have to quit because of the overwhelming crap I'm forcing myself into.

Stop bitching about balancing issues and map design. MP runs on broken legs anyway. Bitch about those instead.

This. :(

nib95

Banned
upJTboogie said:
Wow Salumun market with the new Mechs is quite the clusterfuck, I would have preferred if they left it alone, and kept it in the nighttime.

Hopefully when the saviour patch arrives we can turn off use of Mech's, jetpacks and certain classes.

AleeN634

Beat the campaign last night.

Pros:
- The escape portion in the first part of the campaign of the was fantastic.
- The giant robot fights are crazy fun.
- The jungle part has some of the most alien terrain I've seen this gen.
- The
Sta5X Arc Cannon
has one of the best secondary attacks. Really makes me feel badass.

Cons:
- Too many on rails sections.
- One hit kills from some enemies.
- Ending was abrupt and then adds a bonus scene to mess with you further.
I'll be disappointed but not surprised if its Strahl in the pod but my heart wants it to be Visari
- Why did they
change Narville into the jerk to get us to like Rico more?

While I found Killzone 2 to be slightly better in terms of story and graphical wow factor, this is a worthy sequel. It has a lot of great setpieces (aside from the overuse of on-rail action parts) and an interesting switch from invasion to guerrilla warfare (although that changes after like 1 chapter). I miss some of the things that made the Killzone MP different from COD, but from what I've played it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the MP side.

Grisby

spiderman123 said:

Man, I think that'd be pretty lame if
Visari came back. I'm not gonna dispute your theory because in the realm of video game plot lines its entirely possible. I also really like Visari and was pissed when they killed him, but thats done. By brining him back it would kill any remembrance of 2's storyline for me.

I really dislike where Guerrilla took the story for this 3rd installment. I'd rather them start somewhere else on a clean slate. Maybe even a prequel of some sorts ala Reach style.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yeah, that never really made a ton of sense to me. For a "down to the last man," "desperate struggle to survive" type deal, the ISA have a LOT of men, a LOT of intruders, a LOT of tanks, etc.

Xater

TTP said:
Terrible netcode (lots of teleporting) and engine performance (can barely stick to 30fps - it's 20 most of the time) are *really* killing it.

I can stand one or two matches. Then I have to quit because of the overwhelming crap I'm forcing myself into.

Stop bitching about balancing issues and map design. MP runs on broken legs anyway. Bitch about those instead.

Huh, I a only had one really bad match connection wise so far. At least as far as I can remember, so I don't think that's such a big issue. The framerate I can agree with. It really takes a hit way too often and too consistent, which is a shame since the gameplay is incredibly fun. I know they love their graphics as much as we do, but maybe they should just have deactivated some effects.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
TTP said:

:(

So the SP Framerate is fine and the MP framerate sucks?

Dibbz

Finished the SP this morning and although it was a really fun an exciting ride, the story was not done well. Scenes just get cut abruptly and it's as if GG decided to shoe horn cutscenes into the game. I would have preferred less cutscenes but more length to them. You don't need a cutscene every checkpoint, save them for big events.

Also I wish they would start to use in game scripted scenes ala MoH, HL and CoD, in that I mean keep it first person rather than having all the story elements in this typical 3rd person movie cam.

Xater

Fersis said:

SP framerate is great.

The MP framerate is pretty much the only thing that I can see me stopping to play it. I am going to wait though, maybe they can do something to fix it?

Thrakier

Xater said:
SP framerate is great.

The MP framerate is pretty much the only thing that I can see me stopping to play it. I am going to wait though, maybe they can do something to fix it?

Probably not. Framerate was an issue in KZ2 as well. They didn't learn anything.

JB1981

Confidence Man said:
The spawning system is the biggest problem I think, at least in Warzone. If you don't have Tacticians on that immediately your team is screwed. That's fine for an organized group with defined roles, but for general pub play it ends up being a disaster. Once the other team gets control the points are incredibly hard to retake since respawn time is only a few seconds, especially on larger maps where there are too few spawnpoints that are spaced out to much. Salamun Market is the only map that doesn't have this problem, as it has plenty of spawnpoints.

They should have just made Tacticians themselves be mobile spawnpoints, that would have alleviated the toss-spawn-beacon-into-objective clusterfuck from KZ2 and not made spawning entirely fixed to certain spots.
Amazing that a map never designed for TSPs is the best of them all.

Fersis said:

See, I don't understand this. The framerate is not an issue for me at all. It RARELY stutters and when it does, it's very negligible. Maybe it's the US servers as opposed to the Australian servers that I'm playing on. Anyway, I'd stop playing for a multitude of other reasons before I stop playing because of the framerate.

Irish said:
The fuck is this shit? Ryan has finally been accepted? You know what this means, right? You're out of all of the GAF clans. Yup, since we picked you up as a non-member, becoming a member immediately excludes you from all future group playtime.

We had some terrible clan matches earlier. Guerrilla, you need to work on making some balanced maps.

Also, Ryan, what in the world are you doing awake at this time? You always abandon us super early and here I find you posting on GAF at 4:31 real time.

If making me a non-member means I don't have to participate in clan matches: sign me up! lol. I don't really care for them, some teams get too serious.

It was 1:30am for me, I watched Inception again, after I quit.

venom2124

Dibbz said:
Finished the SP this morning and although it was a really fun an exciting ride, the story was not done well. Scenes just get cut abruptly and it's as if GG decided to shoe horn cutscenes into the game. I would have preferred less cutscenes but more length to them. You don't need a cutscene every checkpoint, save them for big events.

Also I wish they would start to use in game scripted scenes ala MoH, HL and CoD, in that I mean keep it first person rather than having all the story elements in this typical 3rd person movie cam.
Yes, this bothers me. I hate third person cutscenes in an fps. I much prefer the story to play out in first person perspective if possible. There were a ton of useless cutscenes in the campaign that should have just been witnessed through Sev's eyes.

Y2Kev said:
Yeah, that never really made a ton of sense to me. For a "down to the last man," "desperate struggle to survive" type deal, the ISA have a LOT of men, a LOT of intruders, a LOT of tanks, etc.

yah. They don't look that desperate to me ......

conman

Dibbz said:
Finished the SP this morning and although it was a really fun an exciting ride, the story was not done well. Scenes just get cut abruptly and it's as if GG decided to shoe horn cutscenes into the game.
No doubt. The strangest moment was the abrupt cut to barreling down a snowy mountainside in that snow vehicle. No explanation. One minute Sev and Rico are freaking out in a cutscene because
Stahl is getting away in his ship
, and the next I'm shooting at stuff in a vehicle that's already heading down a mountainside.

What is GG's obsession with making everything daytime now? Blood Gracht looks like complete shit. It's lost all of its cool atmosphere from KZ2.

Majine

Banned
I think it's kinda wierd that one of the preorder bonuses were the KZ2 Maps.

I didn't preorder, but I have KZ2 and I downloaded all the DLC they released, couldn't I get something this time? :(

Cesar said:
Damn this map looks hot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vxNO3w8c8g&feature=related

The art direction is top notch.
This really is the best looking console game to date. Hopefully GG saves KZ4 for PS4 because I can't see how they can top this visually.

I'd rather see them make something completely different. Not a shooter, something... else. Hell knows what, but that's why they are game developers and I'm just some dude. There's talent aboard that vessel, time to take it on a new voyage.

Rikyfree

Grisby said:
Man, I think that'd be pretty lame if
Visari came back. I'm not gonna dispute your theory because in the realm of video game plot lines its entirely possible. I also really like Visari and was pissed when they killed him, but thats done. By brining him back it would kill any remembrance of 2's storyline for me.

I really dislike where Guerrilla took the story for this 3rd installment. I'd rather them start somewhere else on a clean slate. Maybe even a prequel of some sorts ala Reach style.
The first Extrasolar War is begging for this.

Zen

Banned
Y2Kev said:

Yeah, during
the sequence where Rico et all decide to save Narville, I kept thinking that there's no way they could have the resources to spare to love all the people and equipment that they were

I mean the vast majority of the ISA were killed when the nuke went off in 2, it's was literally a last gasp to fight into Visari's palace.

JB1981

The SP campaign is pretty fun. Just got done with the jungle level, probably the best sequence of the bunch but I'm mid-way through Stahl Arms and I have a feeling this will be the hight point of the entire game.

Zen

Banned
Brannon said:

There are infinitely better ways to end something. Killzone 3's ending is not one of those ways. What the.

GAH!

Someone asked me earlier how it screws over the entire franchise.
Well you've killed the ENTIRE Helghast fleet and EVERYONE on the planet that wasn't wearing a hazmat suit... so any future threat from the Helghast will come off as incredibly contrived and silly, and logically speaking there shouldn't be enough of them to pose a threat anyway, especially considering taht all of their fleet was destroyed.

While we're on the topic of that, the conflict between Stahl and the Admiral was well done, but balls to the idiotic trope of making the unstoppable death force fracture and fight amongst itself. Why wasn't the earth fleet arriving sooner? they sure seemed to arrive quickly in Killzone 1, and they have technology that would make the Helghast and ISA weep. Hell the best technology of the Helghast was arguable only a match for the retreating ISA cruisers that were outdated hand me downs from Earth, are we just to accept that Earth is like some StarTrek planet that's not defended at all? And if the helghast could magically get to Earth almost instantly, why the hell does it take so long for everyone else to travel between Earth and Vekta? There was no mention of the Helghast developing new propulsion technology, and if they had, why did it take their more advanced fleet for ever to get back to Helghan in Killzone 2?

Bad writing is why.

Huh, I think I've had noticeable lag once where someones shot killed me after I moved behind a wall, but aside from that it seems much better than the constant delay in Killzone 2.

Finished the campaign a few hours ago, been playing on Elite now, almost halfway. Game is way easier than Killzone 2.

While the story is generic as hell the action is unprecedented for a linear FPS. Bloody amazing on a big LED-screen with 5.1 blazing. It even got a small crowd of people around my tv who normally don't play games because they were so impressed by how visceral this game can look AND sound....

Guerilla, you make a fellow Dutchman proud. Another fucking amazing job. Now go back to fixing things !!!!

First Impressions from a few hours of play last night in SP and MP.

The story is dumb dumb dumb dumb stop it

this game feels weird in that whenever it seems like you're starting to get into the gameplay and enjoy shooting dudes, it takes control away and plays a cutscene. The actual segments where you are playing between cutscenes feel too brief. And absolutely much too linear. It's really a lot more like the Call of Duty style of design than I remember the second one being.

The "stealth" section in the bugs area was a joke I ran past all the enemies just to see if it worked and it did lol (at least until they drop one of those mech walkers on top of you if you don't do stealth. Kinda forced, but whatever)

I always like to mess with stealth parts in games to see how much they are designed to let you play stelathy vs how much they are designed that you have to be stealthy to get through.

Game looks absolutely fantastic and gorgeous.

Multiplayer is pretty good but it needs more maps on the disc and people need to have some freaking patience before respawning - I play medic so far and it seems like every time I run up to someone to heal they just hit the respawn button before I can get there..
The framerate gets pretty horrible in firefights in multiplayer. Really awful.

I still think this series has some of the best actual shooting mechanics and feel/sound to the weapons. That's what keeps me coming back. I just hate how the single player has this feeling like you're playing these really brief, really constrained sections of shooting and then they take control away from you 15 min later again.

I wish more games would copy halo's and crysis's sandbox type gameplay and less Call of Duty's tunnel full of dudes behind cover gameplay.

Also the mech section in this game was bullshit. Not fun at all. Really difficult to see enemies and I felt like I had to resort to cheesing out the AI for those tanks by finding a hole in some debris where I could shoot them but they didn't shoot back.

alterno69

Banned
mickcenary said:
See, I don't understand this. The framerate is not an issue for me at all. It RARELY stutters and when it does, it's very negligible. Maybe it's the US servers as opposed to the Australian servers that I'm playing on. Anyway, I'd stop playing for a multitude of other reasons before I stop playing because of the framerate.
The FPS take a hit mainly in warzone cause the maps are bigger, some maps like salamun are worse cauwe of the lame mechs and nonstop wasp spam. Play a wazone match and then switch to guerrilla warfare and there's a big difference.

I love the MP but the framerate HAS to be fixed, some effects are overdone like in the snow map, turn off the ash, snow and that green petroshit if necesary to improve the framerate, framerate should be a priority.

SonOfABeep said:
Also the mech section in this game was bullshit. Not fun at all. Really difficult to see enemies and I felt like I had to resort to cheesing out the AI for those tanks by finding a hole in some debris where I could shoot them but they didn't shoot back.
lmao, i did the same thing. shot through a hole on the right corner of the building in the middle.

That scene at the mountain station:

Super Elite Hellghast soldier enter room.

Hellghast 1: Clear!
Hellghast 2: Clear!

Sev & Rico beat the shit out of them.

Rico (in Bromode): NOW it's clear!

Me: *cringe*

StevePharma said:
SonOfABeep
Plays on Easy Mode
(Today, 07:50 PM)

despite that tag I am on normal.

I don't like demons souls so apparently it's only baby games for me.

Try it for yourself - it's quite funny, it's so heavily scripted that when you reach the next section those helghast troops looking for you so intently either disappear or forget you existed and you resume "sneaking" through the mission.

Top Bottom