• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Halcyon

Cataferal said:
After playing for 7 hours with the DS3, I cautiously decided to give the Move controls a 30min run-around, worrying that it might ruin my K/D ratio if I gave it any more time. First impressions weren't good, as I felt I needed to shift my arm around too much to rotate my POV, which ultimately made movement less responsive. In the end, I read around the net and found recommendations for this setup:

X Dead Zone =0
Y Dead Zone = 0
Cursor Sensitivity = 0
Turning Speed = 70
Aiming type = Hold

After that tweak, I played for 3 hours straight, and placed at least 2nd in each game. Far from soiling my records, it actually improved them (with my K/D up by 0.7). It's especially good for tracking running targets with SMGs and ARs, which can be a hard movement to meter out with the DS3 stick. Definitely a surprise, and if these results hold out I'll certainly be using it as my default setup.
These are the settings I use. They are fantastic.

My fav thing about move is the quick 90 degree camera changes. Makes running and gunning much more possible for me.

JB1981

TTP said:
Not my experience. I move them down from above like I'm the angel of death.

Heh .. I was referring to single player, not MP.

I am enjoying the campaign quite a bit. Question about where I am at as far a length
I just freed Narville and got the Petrocite gun. How far into the game am I?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
JB1981 said:
Heh .. I was referring to single player, not MP.

I am enjoying the campaign quite a bit.
I just freed Narville and got the Petrocite gun. How far into the game am I?
A little more than half-way.

JB1981

RoboPlato said:
A little more than half-way.

Not bad. Anyone else a little disappointed that they
didn't get to play as Helghast with that awesome Helghan HUD? You should get that HUD in multiplayer when you play as the Highs. So awesome.

I'm really enjoying the Game. The medic class is a hell of a lot of fun! I wish people would stay down just a little longer for me to pick them up.

The sharpshooter feels like a well made peripheral but it just plays terribly. It feels like I'm trying to steer a tank. I've tinkered with the settings as much as possible but find that I'm highly inaccurate with it. There seems to be a small delay in the motion of the gun and the on screen targeting sight.

Linconan

Outtrigger888 said:
And hows the 3D in this game?
Un Fucking Real

Not that it matters but i'll be posting pics of Killzone 3 in 3D just a sort of satisfaction for my own benefit.
I have seen crosstalk here and there but you learn to deal with it, and sometimes there are none...*shrugs...and its picture perfect.
(generally speaking)
You learn to put up with minor things for the stuff you love.
And, this is no different ;)

Cause the benefit of playing Killzone 3 in 3D is total immersion into the game.
You really get sucked in and makes the world (graphics, gameplay, feeling), just that bit more believable.

Pics soon..ish ;)

nib95

Banned
Really enjoying multiplayer at the mo. Doing a lot worse than the BETA as I started late and everyone seems to already be maxed out. Don't really have any issues with balancing, frame rate seems reasonable, and I haven't had too much lag. If a class were to be unbalanced, I'd probably pick Marksman. Also, my melee's never seem to work for some reason lol.

Mik2121

Is there any way to create your own games? I love being able to check the maps around and see how they're made, but playing online with other people it's impossible, so I'd like to be able to create a game, lock it with password (I believe you could do this in KZ2?) and just check the map around freely...

Also it sucks that KZ3 doesn't have screenshot mode nor anything... ugh.

Mik2121 said:
Is there any way to create your own games? I love being able to check the maps around and see how they're made, but playing online with other people it's impossible, so I'd like to be able to create a game, lock it with password (I believe you could do this in KZ2?) and just check the map around freely...

Botzone

Mik2121

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Uhm? Is there a way to play without bots?

I don't want people (or bots) attacking me while I'm checking out the map (and no, not learning the layout, but actually looking at the geometry, textures, etc...)

kaz2y5

Banned
Gotta state the obvious here: Loving the much improved KZ3! The gatlin gun is sweet! Liking the fact your AI revives you; you can collect all the weapons you pick up (except rocket launchers I guess) but miss the excessive swearing :-(

njean777

Is it just me or does the ISA m82 rifle nearly 1 shot you every time? I play as the infiltrator and it takes at least 2 burst with last gun you unlock with the infiltrator.

Mik2121 said:
Uhm? Is there a way to play without bots?

I don't want people (or bots) attacking me while I'm checking out the map (and no, not learning the layout, but actually looking at the geometry, textures, etc...)

Well I just did exactly what you mentioned (check out the maps) with the default count of 8 bots (4 on your team, 4 on the other). You can probably lower the count? Even if you can't, you really aren't overwhelmed when there are only 4 bots to look out for that don't behave like human opponents (if they spot you from a distance they'll take shots but won't leave their objective to chase you down until you're dead... at least on the lower difficulties).

kaz2y5 said:
Gotta state the obvious here: Loving the much improved KZ3! The gatlin gun is sweet! Liking the fact your AI revives you; you can collect all the weapons you pick up (except rocket launchers I guess) but miss the excessive swearing :-(

What do you mean? You can pick up rocket launchers.

Mik2121 said:

I don't understand why this still isn't standard in every game period.

KZ captures with super-anti-aliasing would be great to fap to

Kaze13

There are a few things that is not said enough about this game.

1. The music. It's amazing. Hardly is this ever expressed in discussions but it needs to be reiterated many times over. Best soundtrack in a FPS game ever. Does it sound like it belongs in MGS to some of you? It's got that hint of MGS theme to me in some of the compositions.

2. The art. Not just the graphics, which is beautiful, but the art direction and the pure artistry in the levels...all the levels. From Helghan Tech (clean? wow) to the alien jungle and the skyboxes in the game. It's just oozing beauty.

3. Can I play as the Higg some more GG? That helmet interface was friggin awesome and it felt like a whole new perspective.

4. The complaints about not feeling like the firefights are open enough in single player. Are you kidding me?! I haven't finished the game yet and there are a bunch of corridor shooting but I came across multiple "open" firefight zones that simple felt incredible. In particular:

a. That retreat from the remote base in the jungle. The spider mechs were kind of lame but they did pose a threat. That was a memorable experience to me.
b. The firefights in multiple areas inside the helghan base. Moving from cover to cover was great.
c. The fight leading up to the ATAC. Zipping in and out of with the Jetpack was awesome. Fighting (a losing battle) the ATAC with the jetpack was also fun.

This game is awesome aside from the weird cutscene transitions and the general interaction between Sev and Rico. I hate Rico less but still do no like him very much. Can I have Jammer on my side instead? Thanks. Enjoying it so far.

angelfly

Something that still bugs me whenever I start the game is in the opening when Visari's daughter pulls her hand back with that uncomfortable expression on her face. Is that ever explained?

Linconan said:
Un Fucking Real

Not that it matters but i'll be posting pics of Killzone 3 in 3D just a sort of satisfaction for my own benefit.
I have seen crosstalk here and there but you learn to deal with it, and sometimes there are none...*shrugs...and its picture perfect.
(generally speaking)
You learn to put up with minor things for the stuff you love.
And, this is no different ;)

Cause the benefit of playing Killzone 3 in 3D is total immersion into the game.
You really get sucked in and makes the world (graphics, gameplay, feeling), just that bit more believable.

Pics soon..ish ;)

Might have to go exchange my tv for a 3d tv, I got untill monday to make the decision. Dont know if I wanna spend the extra 600$ and thats not including the glasses. I ended up getting a LG 55inch LED for 1400$ and love it, I dont wanna end up with a TV im dissapointed in buying.

Square Triangle said:
I LOVE the move controls in KZ3. As I said in the other thread, I really feel that it's one of the best examples of motion gaming at it's finest. Wii, Move, or Kinect. It's extremely responsive, accurate and just a blast to play with, feels like KZ3 was built from the beginning with it in mind.

Heading to the store right now to pick up move and a nav controller. You guys make me spend too much money :(

Ill try out the move settings that are posted on the top of this page.

Thrakier

Outtrigger888 said:

You have to find your own settings. You can't copy those settings 1:1 because the caliration process is different every tiem.

angelfly said:
Something that still bugs me whenever I start the game is in the opening when Visari's daughter pulls her hand back with that uncomfortable expression on her face. Is that ever explained?

My theory is that Visari had a boner

Grisby

angelfly said:

What bugs me is why she was there to begin with. I thought there was going to be something with her but she never showed up again.

In fact, I completely forgot she was in there until someone mentioned her a while back.

woolley

If it wasn't for all of my friends playing this game I would be getting ready to take it back to the store and getting my money back. The multiplayer has just so many things wrong with it and there's no replay value in the single player. I highly doubt I'm gonna ever buy another game from Guerrilla again.

Just beat the game, ABSOLUTELY loved it. It was a huge step up from what they accomplished in Killzone 2. The soundtrack was phenomenal also.

Sethos

Banned
Just noticed some of the people posting their purchases of the game around various threads and my god, some of the cases are logo-hell - Glad I bought Steelcase editions for both games.

Yes, cases matter =P

829287846.png

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Bank needs to deposit my tax refund already. They accepted it, now I just have to wait, supposedly, 2 weeks for an actual deposit so I can buy this and the actual PS3.

Is anyone playing the retro maps?

i'm to the snow part in single player and i'm liking the game a lot more than killzone 2. not sure i gave killzone 2 enough of a chance but either way i'm having a good time with KZ3.

with that said, i honestly cannot stand sev or rico. awful characters that i truly hope die in the end (which i know they won't). some of the dialog is embarrassingly bad. i'm not expecting an oscar worthy performance but holy christ who is writing some of this shit? the head guy of the ISA army is the worst voice actor i have heard this generation

Grinchy

Banned
Cataferal said:
After playing for 7 hours with the DS3, I cautiously decided to give the Move controls a 30min run-around, worrying that it might ruin my K/D ratio if I gave it any more time. First impressions weren't good, as I felt I needed to shift my arm around too much to rotate my POV, which ultimately made movement less responsive. In the end, I read around the net and found recommendations for this setup:

X Dead Zone =0
Y Dead Zone = 0
Cursor Sensitivity = 0
Turning Speed = 70
Aiming type = Hold

After that tweak, I played for 3 hours straight, and placed at least 2nd in each game. Far from soiling my records, it actually improved them (with my K/D up by 0.7). It's especially good for tracking running targets with SMGs and ARs, which can be a hard movement to meter out with the DS3 stick. Definitely a surprise, and if these results hold out I'll certainly be using it as my default setup.

This may sound like a dumb question, but do you use these settings for SP as well? I messed with the settings a little bit for the demo, and haven't come to a conclusion on what I like. I haven't tried the settings you listed yet, which is why I'm curious.

Also, you're just using Move+Nav right? Not sharpshooter?

Carl

Really loving this game. Currently
fighting my way back through the factory after finding out what is going to happen to Earth
and having a TON of fun with it so far. Played it with Move, not so much as touched a DS3 for this game, and don't plan to.

Had a go in multiplayer too. Being a medic in this game is actually pretty good. It'd be better if everyone didn't bleed out as soon as they hit the floor though. But yeah good so far, although i am getting my arse handed to me (that tends to happen in most online shooters though - as much as i love games, i'm not brilliant at them!).

JB1981

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i'm to the snow part in single player and i'm liking the game a lot more than killzone 2. not sure i gave killzone 2 enough of a chance but either way i'm having a good time with KZ3.

with that said, i honestly cannot stand sev or rico. awful characters that i truly hope die in the end (which i know they won't). some of the dialog is embarrassingly bad. i'm not expecting an oscar worthy performance but holy christ who is writing some of this shit? the head guy of the ISA army is the worst voice actor i have heard this generation
Really? I find the characters far more likeable and heroic than they were in KZ2

Linconan

nib95 said:
http://imgur.com/

That's a popular one here. I personally just use Photobucket (paid account).

Yeah i decided to go Photobucket ;)

Now hopefully this will work...*sigh.

Setup.jpg

3DHardcopies.jpg

Glassesoff.jpg

GlassesOn.jpg

3DOffCloseup.jpg

3DOnCloseup.jpg

3DOffPointing.jpg

3DonPointing.jpg

Hopefully i've done this right.
Hopefully they're in order.

Now, The first pics of each should be without the glasses turned on as you see as is when generally looking at the screen.
The second ones should be with the glasses turned on (left side) and gives you an eg. of how cleaned up it looks.
Note.. Of course people aren't gunna see these pics in 3D but it gives and eg. of how lined up the picture is (perfect at times) and goes to show how far we've come since Anaglyph days.
Full Colour, Great Picture.
Minus ofcourse the little bit of blurriness in me pics, haha..*gulp sorry ;)

highrider

Banned
^
really cool. i want to try the 3d but my wife gave me the wtf look when i tried to plant seeds toward a set. i just want to smoke a bowl and play killzone in 3d. i wish best buy had a part of the store that you could do that.

The highlights to this game is def. the Move controls and the MP. The more I play the single player the more I get bored, the pacing is fine, it's just not very interesting much like every other shooter campaign out there. I wish more FPS could capture the awesome single player from Bioshock.

Linconan

pickle said:
^
really cool.
Yeah it really is, i cant stress that enough.

As a gamer, immersion is the biggest factor that people (well i do) crave for.
And, thats totally what 3D does.

Killzone 3D rocks.
3Ds not perfect yet, they still need to iron out a few wrinkles.
But it IS better than playing in 2D for me.

I know Killzone 3 might not be for everybody, and i know 3D might not be aswell (for those who cant see 3D)
But, imagine something you (generally speaking) really love in gaming that you'd play all day was even more involving/believable, wouldn't that be worth checking out?

My opinion, not pushing anything.

My 3D Tv was the best thing i've ever bought.
There are no words, except i'm truly in gaming heaven.

lol

Linconan

Square Triangle said:
Now you just need to find or make a TV stand that's sexy as hell, the coffee table and desk isn't cutting it with a nice 3D TV sir.
*sigh...
Thanks for pointing that out. grrrr

lol,
we all have to make do sometimes with what we've got,lol
But yes, eventually i'll have to.

I just finished the SP mode. Really really liked the story and I found the last level while still somewhat bastard like nowhere as near as painful as 2 (which I never finished). I felt it was an improvement over 2's story.

I LOVED Malcolm McDowell as Stahl.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Grinchy said:
This may sound like a dumb question, but do you use these settings for SP as well? I messed with the settings a little bit for the demo, and haven't come to a conclusion on what I like. I haven't tried the settings you listed yet, which is why I'm curious.

Also, you're just using Move+Nav right? Not sharpshooter?
Actually, I haven't started on the SP just yet. I hold a DS3 in my left hand (supported by my knee), and the Move controller in the right. The Navi controller should make things more comfortable, but the control scheme I'm using now is very functional.

As for the sharpshooter, I was interested but now I'm hearing its hard work and doesn't necessarily benefit accuracy/speed. It seems quite pricey for what it is too.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
OK Put in 20+ hours into MP, the game community is getting worse and worse everyday

If you don't have 3-4 friends who can play with you or a clan that you can roll with it, this game does not do you any favors, so if you lone wolf, good luck, frustrations abound

WarZones are completely now TDM's with objectives thrown in
(You can see those little fucks who camp, during certain objectives, either they don't help your team, or if the enemy, their team)

All the locations created for almost all maps are broken, from the speaker placements, the C&H locations, and the TSA's

Phyruss Crater is single-handedly the worst map ever created. The tilt is so infuriating, it doesn't add anything to the map, it is so fucking cramped, that Bottlenecks are the necessity for it, and the clusterfucks that arise do to it are retarded
(That map is camp by your base, and wait, whoever gets bored first and charges = fodder for the other side)

S.Market from the retro map pack is the best with 4 TSA's, so forgiving and if you lose all 4 spots, your team just sucks
The addition of Mechs completely ruins the flow of the map, it used to be struggle trying to control the middle and trying to 1 up the other side, now it's just Mechs, Mechs, and more Mechs
The annoying Wasp Spammer who just keeps shooting rockets for no apparent reason, trying to get free kills

That balance & tweak patch needs to happen yesterday, so fucking frustrating you kill an enemy in a closed space, and try to leave, but are stuck due to the clipping, and by that time your free you are either you killed or if close to TSA same dude you killed coming back for you

This game is really looking like the FPS flavor the month, even with the patch, the game is a jarring departure from KZ2 (game balance/map/etc.)

I would write a whole fucking essay on what I have seen and learned, but it would be pointless

KingDizzi

Banned
Loved the SP, finished it in two sittings which for me is rare. Then went in to have a go at the MP, got sniped by the same guy 10 times even though it was the only spawn point so could not do anything. Left.

Let's hope this shit is fixed, at release MP for KZ2 was so damn good besides the controls, KZ3 seems to be a step backwards going by the closed beta, open beta and now the full game. GG really are the weak link in Sonys first party, they really need to start talking with other first parties about how to make decent MP. ND got it right on their first outing, UC2 was mint online at release and only problem I had was the damn livesync or whatever it was that took ages to load.

KingDizzi said:
Loved the SP, finished it in two sittings which for me is rare. Then went in to have a go at the MP, got sniped by the same guy 10 times even though it was the only spawn point so could not do anything. Left.

Let's hope this shit is fixed, at release MP for KZ2 was so damn good besides the controls, KZ3 seems to be a step backwards going by the closed beta, open beta and now the full game. :(

So you played for about 2 minutes and declare the game broken? I don't even know how you people get into situations like those. I've played about 6 hours and I've never experienced anything like that. At least not in Warzone, I haven't really touched the other two modes.

mr_nothin

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
OK Put in 20+ hours into MP, the game community is getting worse and worse everyday

If you don't have 3-4 friends who can play with you or a clan that you can roll with it, this game does not do you any favors, so if you lone wolf, good luck, frustrations abound

WarZones are completely now TDM's with objectives thrown in
(You can see those little fucks who camp, during certain objectives, either they don't help your team, or if the enemy, their team)

All the locations created for almost all maps are broken, from the speaker placements, the C&H locations, and the TSA's

Phyruss Crater is single-handedly the worst map ever created. The tilt is so infuriating, it doesn't add anything to the map, it is so fucking cramped, that Bottlenecks are the necessity for it, and the clusterfucks that arise do to it are retarded
(That map is camp by your base, and wait, whoever gets bored first and charges = fodder for the other side)

S.Market from the retro map pack is the best with 4 TSA's, so forgiving and if you lose all 4 spots, your team just sucks
The addition of Mechs completely ruins the flow of the map, it used to be struggle trying to control the middle and trying to 1 up the other side, now it's just Mechs, Mechs, and more Mechs
The annoying Wasp Spammer who just keeps shooting rockets for no apparent reason, trying to get free kills

That balance & tweak patch needs to happen yesterday, so fucking frustrating you kill an enemy in a closed space, and try to leave, but are stuck due to the clipping, and by that time your free you are either you killed or if close to TSA same dude you killed coming back for you

This game is really looking like the FPS flavor the month, even with the patch, the game is a jarring departure from KZ2 (game balance/map/etc.)

I would write a whole fucking essay on what I have seen and learned, but it would be pointless
I dont think anybody can argue against any of these points.
There's just SOOOO much wrong with the MP in this game and what you listed is only a small fraction of the problems.

revolverjgw said:
So you played for about 2 minutes and declare the game broken? I don't even know how you people get into situations like those. I've played about 6 hours and I've never experienced anything like that. At least not in Warzone, I haven't really touched the other two modes.
It can happen on Frozen Dam when the Helghast have been turtled into their base.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
revolverjgw said:

I like TDM so I play Guerilla Warfare. Never seen anything like that too. Whenever I get sniped, I just find another route, no big problems so far.

Outtrigger888 said:
Might have to go exchange my tv for a 3d tv, I got untill monday to make the decision. Dont know if I wanna spend the extra 600$ and thats not including the glasses. I ended up getting a LG 55inch LED for 1400$ and love it, I dont wanna end up with a TV im dissapointed in buying.

Heading to the store right now to pick up move and a nav controller. You guys make me spend too much money :(

imo, the settings are not that important. you can spend all day trying all the setting combination posted on gaf hoping you'll feel the right setting for you and you don't. I think what's more important is the mindset of using Move controller and it's calibration process.

if you're thinking in your head that using Move is like pointing to enemy on screen then you'll have a hard time getting it right (unless you use sharpshooter I guess). Move control for fps is not that different from standard pc or console fps, you move the cross hair to where the enemy is on screen, not point and shoot like in light gun arcade shooter (time crisis), major difference with standard fps, in standard fps, the cross hair is fixed on the center of the screen, so moving it also control the camera.

in Move, you have to get into the mindset of controlling the cross hair and the camera separately. once you able to do that, controlling the camera will be second nature by no time and you get the aiming precision of Move.

then the second important thing imo is the calibration process. after finished calibrating, make sure your relaxed hand position leave the cross hair around the center of the screen, and try to make circular movement and see if your cross hair move in a nice circle and not an ellipse, it will help a lot.

after these 2 thing, then you can mess with the setting and actually feel the different for the setting and know what setting to change to suit your playstyle. just like any other fps control setting, it helps to start with low sensitivity.

some tips for your setting, reducing the bounding box to zero make it easy to turn your camera once your cross hair move past it's invisible box. now remember when I said it's a good idea to try make a good circle to test you calibration process? the higher the sensitivity, the bigger those circle tend to be, because with bigger sensitivity, smaller Move movement will result in bigger cross hair movement. I think it's a good idea not to have your comfortable circle area, bigger than it's bounding box, especially not when you have high camera turning speed. it will make the camera go crazy every time you move the cross hair past it's bounding box, and melee will be even more disastrous.

So yeah, I completed the campaign and played 5 hours of Multi with the Sharpshooter and did pretty decent.. as I said earlier in the thread, I felt as though I was doing slightly worse than I would with the DS3 but still good enough to hold my own.

So today I decided to play without the Sharpshooter and just the Move and wow. So much better. I only played 2 hours MP with it and I was getting 2.0 kdr in matches, something I've never been able to accomplish with the Sharpshooter. Campaign with just the Move has been a breeze thus far as well, on Elite! I guess the fact that I've already played through it helps but I've noticed that snapping to targets is much easier without the Sharpshooter - it requires less movement.

The Sharpshooter adds some immersion to the game for sure, but if you're looking for maximum precision (and comfort), then I suggest ditching it. I most certainly will.

Top Bottom