• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Stoffinator

ninj4junpei said:
I haven't played Killzone 2 on the higher difficulties. I think I only played it on normal (whatever the equivalent is). I can't imagine the final battle being a whole lot of fun on the higher difficulties. -_- Unfortunately, I am on a "high difficulty" binge right now, so I'll probably replay it soon.

I never got to the finally in 2. Just couldn't get past that one part. So I gave up.

Proelite said:
Quick plot questions:

Why did Vekta surrender? Were they threatened by the Helghast fleet?
Was Helghan destroyed in the end, or do people living on helghan have to move really slowly every day now.

KZ2 with the nuke and everything at the end left the ISA pretty much decimated on Helghan. Probably much easier just to have command tell them to surrender rather then plan a rescue.
I would say it was destroyed for the most part. Looked like all the petrucite veins exploded and likely caused massive destruction most everywhere. Those two guys at the end I'm guessing were a search and rescue part from the remaining cruisers or the space station.

Proelite

ilikemonkeys said:
KZ2 with the nuke and everything at the end left the ISA pretty much decimated on Helghan. Probably much easier just to have command tell them to surrender rather then plan a rescue.
I would say it was destroyed for the most part. Looked like all the petrucite veins exploded and likely caused massive destruction most everywhere. Those two guys at the end I'm guessing were a search and rescue part from the remaining cruisers or the space station.

I was under the impression that Vekta surrendered ala France to Germany in WWII. Vekta the ENTIRE planet surrendered.

.GqueB.

Banned
So Ive been playing all day and Im gonna eat crow in one aspect. These maps fucking suck. And not in the same way you all seem to think they suck. I dont care about balance or TSP placement and all that crap. Who gives a shit.

I care about my eyes.

Is my brightness up too high or what? Just about every map gives me a fucking headache. ESPECIALLY Phyrrus Crater. Everything is glowing. Everything all of it. There is just too much going on in these maps. Too much visual stimulation and it gives me a headache. Id hate to ask for plain as hell, stagnant maps like Halo or COD but I find myself doing so here.

Take it easy GG.

And what the hell is with people not liking operations? For one thing, its easy as hell to get points and it happens quickly. Ive only been playing today and my Tactician/Medic are nearly full equipped... and I SUCK at this game. Averaging about 2k a game and a ridiculously low KDR.

7-22 anyone? bwahaahaha

But yea I dig this game. Too bad Im gonna have to turn my brightness down and never EVER play in the dark.

ergo said:
Still rocking 360 only. KZ2 almost made me buy a PS3 two years back, but I held off. Now that KZ3 is out, I'm going through the same motions haha. Is that $300 KZ3 pack worth it? I just blew $300 on one date, so I'd say the KZ3 bundle would be a lot more worth while. Either way, I didn't/won't get laid so not like that makes a difference! lol

Was in the same boat a week ago and finally broke down and got the KZ3 bundle. As I mentioned earlier the game gives me motion sickness so that part wasn't fun. Over all I have to say I'm disapointed. Just no memorable parts so far and I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end. The game looks great but that's about it and this thread certainly doesn't have me excited for multiplayer.
Oh well I finally have a Blu-Ray player and the Flower demo was simply amazing imo.

patsu

CitizenCope said:
Was in the same boat a week ago and finally broke down and got the KZ3 bundle. As I mentioned earlier the game gives me motion sickness so that part wasn't fun. Over all I have to say I'm disapointed. Just no memorable parts so far and I'm pretty sure I'm nearing the end. The game looks great but that's about it and this thread certainly doesn't have me excited for multiplayer.
Oh well I finally have a Blu-Ray player and the Flower demo was simply amazing imo.

Play Demon's Souls !

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
patsu said:
I did. That's because you stand too close to the cover I think. Take half a step back so that you can crouch properly.

Tried this and everything, even reloading the checkpoint. Nowhere the second player stands will make the targets show, they work fine for player one though. Too bad, we were looking forward to playing co-op.

Proelite said:
I was under the impression that Vekta surrendered ala France to Germany in WWII. Vekta the ENTIRE planet surrendered.
Just went and re-watched that cutscene... actually you're right. The entire government surrendered. I'm not sure why then lol. I guess if they sent their entire fleet for the invasion and now it's mostly gone? Helghast seemed to have been planning some sort of counter attack and if they didn't have any defence, might have been smarter to just surrender right away.

Proelite said:
Quick plot questions:

Why did Vekta surrender? Were they threatened by the Helghast fleet?
Was Helghan destroyed in the end, or do people living on helghan have to move really slowly every day now.

1. Vekta didn't surrender per se, but rather gave up hostilities with the Helghast. Hence why the Admiral ordered Narville and co to surrender and their release to be negotiated as POWs

2. The initial blast presumable was strong enough it would destroy almost everything, save maybe some in bunkers or in hazmat gear. Otherwise the entire planet is irradiated so life becomes even more miserable for the survivors.

277375-darth_vader_without_the_mask_super.jpg

Darth Vader (sans helmet).

Emperor-Visari.jpg

Scolar Visari.

Anything is possible.

killzone_3_darth_vader_sith_by_grasuc-d336u5v.png

I got past the whole junkyard section and to the part where you are battling the giant mech. That and the trench run up it it was really well done.

Now, why did Sony have to release this game in February? This was no reason to get this game on the shelves. They could have waited until early August which would have been ideal. It would have been twice the game it is today.

Sporran

Warm Machine said:
They could have waited until early August which would have been ideal. It would have been twice the game it is today.

August last year, YES YES YES, august this year NO NO NO

finished the game yesterday. From the jungle part to finish it was really great.
You HAVE to play it on veteran though. Otherwise it's way too easy.

Story was fine. Some cutscenes were not.
I liked the variety but missed some of the dark grittyness of part 2.
Graphics are insane imo.
Move works really well.

ending was... well.. at least we'll be shooting more stuff in part 4.

Well done Guerilla. Now i'll be playing some online games.

nib95

Banned
Ok, just played a game of Warzone on Salamun Market. HOLY SHIT how did this get through QA? The frame rate is APPALLING. I was almost laughing it was so bad. Did they really even test this shit? Get rid of the mechs and WASP's as well. Does nothing expect turn the level in to a framey mess of gigantic proportions lol.

Now I get some of the complaints. Thankfully Guerilla Warfare is near perfect. Besides one map that's imbalanced, Akmir Drift or whatever, the others are perfect. Decent frame rates, solid map design and balanced gameplay. Very well designed offering multiple access to all manner of points and lots of strategic play.

In other words, KZ3's TDM = Awesome. Warzone = Fudged lol.

Proelite said:
I just finished the game last night. Had a great time. One of my top campaigns of all time this generation along with:

Gears 2
Uncharted 2
Halo 3
Modern Warfare 2

I really liked the none-stop single climax roller coaster ride pacing of the campaign, but I though the cut-scene direction, pacing, animation etc were terrible. Definitely a step back in that regards and pales in comparison to recently released games.
I definitely wouldn't put it close to Gears of War 2. Killzone 3 has a good campaign, Gears of War 2 has an excellent campaign. The latter was so much better than its predecessor, Epic Games really surprised me.

Just finished my first long session of online play. @_@ I need to get a headset and a copy of this game. (I rented it.) Since I am without a headset, I just stuck to Guerilla Warfare.

thuway

I swear Guerilla will never catch a break. GG- you guys are awesome, but you need to find a balance.

KZ 1 - awesome gameplay, zero polish.

KZ 2 - almost too much polish, boring gameplay

KZ 3 - not enough polish, awesome gameplay

Next Killzone deserves to be on the PS4 and should aim to take down the new Unreal Engine and Cryengine 3. Sony should be cooking something up. The winner's next gen will be the guys who launch with the AAA titles.

Hopefully next gen, we'll see more all those vehichles in MP :p.

Yasir

thuway said:
Next Killzone deserves to be on the PS4 and should aim to take down the new Unreal Engine and Cryengine 3. Sony should be cooking something up. The winner's next gen will be the guys who launch with the AAA titles.

I was thinking no more Killzone at all now. GG and their engine for a new IP (which they've stated to be working on) would be alot more exciting than another Killzone tbh.

I hope next time round they take a good hard look at multiplayer before deciding to remove vital parts of the MP that made KZ2 so unique (such a robust clan system).

Killzone is definetly an interesting franchise for the changes its gone through.

JB1981

I guess they wanted to avoid Gears, MW3 and BF3. Really, who could blame them. The game clearly wasn't ready for release though unfortunately. I'm hoping GG patches the game like Epic did for Gears 2. That game had about 6 title updates and is ten times the game it was when it shipped. Too bad most people moved onto other shooters by that point though.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
JB1981 said:
I guess they wanted to avoid Gears, MW3 and BF3. Really, who could blame them. The game clearly wasn't ready for release though unfortunately. I'm hoping GG patches the game like Epic did for Gears 2. That game had about 6 title updates and is ten times the game it was when it shipped. Too bad most people moved onto other shooters by that point though.
I thoroughly enjoyed KZ3's SP, but I couldn't get into Gears 2. For that, I am not interested in Gears 3, but I am chomping at the bit for KZ4.

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
I thoroughly enjoyed KZ3's SP, but I couldn't get into Gears 2. For that, I am not interested in Gears 3, but I am chomping at the bit for KZ4.
I can't stand what they did to the fiction with the ending :(

And the multiplayer is missing the most basic of features.

CozMick

Banned
Anyone else get split second slowdown during multiplayer where it seems like the game engine has dropped to 2-3fps?

It happens randomly and not on specific areas on a map.

While still looking and feeling like a Killzone game, the new sequel saw the team moving in a new visual direction. The grunge and general "war is hell" murkiness of the last title was replaced with a much cleaner look, with design and effects that lent themselves to a more futuristic-looking game with a wider variation in the levels.

Bad decision. KZ2 stood out because of its dark visual design.

Massa

alr1ghtstart said:
The Making of Killzone 3
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-killzone-3

this quote pretty much sums up the game, for better or worse

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Looking at:

Some of the issues that we wanted to tackle were improving controls, getting more variety into the game (gameplay, environment, characters, etc), fixing any hiccups/glitches and improving storytelling."

That's exactly what they needed to improve from Killzone 2.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Massa said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Looking at:

That's exactly what they needed to improve from Killzone 2.

and it's everything other than that that people are disappointed with.

DenogginizerOS said:
Sounds like a lot of people are doing the same as me and comparing the game to the Gears series. Must be the space marine thing. I've never played KZ1 & 2 so it's probably not fair but I have to say the Gears series is much better if only for the enemy variety.
I'm getting Call of Duty'd out and the sp in KZ3 feels the same but in a different time period and world.
I understand the Killzone world doesn't have the liberty of the Gears series in that it can have an 8 legged creature carrying six guns but I'm just tired of 6-8 hour games where I kill the same foot soldier over and over again with the random tank that conveniently shows up right after I find some heavy weaponry laying around.
Game is decent enough and I'm not upset with my PS3 purchase as the library of games is insane with some great games on the horizon. Infamous 2! =O

Dibbz

alr1ghtstart said:
The Making of Killzone 3

Thanks for posting that. I always love to read about problems and decisions developers have to make.

It's interesting to hear that they basically scrapped the online code from Killzone 2 and started fresh with Killzone 3. I didn't understand the bit about, the old code wouldn't scale to do what they wanted online. Maybe he was referring to the new modes that they wanted to put in.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Well KZ3 Platinum GET! @100%

66th platinum, KZ3 platinum trophy = 4100th trophy overall, pushed me into PSN level 23 (^_^)b

GraveRobberX.png

(Takes 10 minutes to refresh)

The game was a little to easy on Elite, it was like Normal on other shooters

The enemies were bullet sponges in Elite, also hated the put 20+ bullets into your head, yet their scripted to get back up, no matter what, to give the player the "enemy not downed yet, be careful"

Hated the last missile section, even if you miss 1 f'n lock-on = insta-kill, took me 5 tries
(Almost all the on rail parts had something that was a stupid insta-kill)

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
nib95 said:
Did you actually read the article?

Yes, I read it. I just thought it was a nice slip that you wrote Brink (the game the lead level designer went to after KZ2 and the reason why so much drama have broken out in this thread) and not Bink (the codec).

I found it funny, don't shoot me. :(

Massa

alr1ghtstart said:
and it's everything other than that that people are disappointed with.

Right, but then I don't understand your point about the feedback gathering summing up the game considering they apparently filtered it pretty well.

nib95

Banned
kinoki said:
Yes, I read it. I just thought it was a nice slip that you wrote Brink (the game the lead level designer went to after KZ2 and the reason why so much drama have broken out in this thread) and not Bink (the codec).

I found it funny, don't shoot me. :(

Whoops my bad dude! I thought you were laughing at the decision to use Bink! But now that you mention it, that is kinda unintentionally funny lol!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Massa said:
Right, but then I don't understand your point about the feedback gathering summing up the game considering they apparently filtered it pretty well.

No, they changed a bunch of other things due to complaints for the worse IMO. Just look at the wasteland of the official forums to see where they're getting their feedback from. They didn't listen to the people who enjoyed the previous game and the issues they had with it, but rather the people who didn't enjoy the first. A balanced look from both sides should be looked at, though. They completely nerfed the best things about KZ2 (Warzone & the gunplay). People moaned about the controls being slow. So to remedy that, GG increased the speed, toned down the recoil, and pumped up the auto aim & lockon, instead of just fixing the issue of slow/laggy controls. The lockon is completely obnoxious, even on Elite. The ebb and flow of Warzone is missing, partly due to the awful community and mostly due to GG's design decisions.

Atruvius

Just completed the campaing for the third time, now on co-op and on the easiest difficulty. This game has an excellent campaign on co-op. My mate and I completed it in one sitting that took us only 5 hours. He enjoyed even though he rarely plays any games.

Now I onle need to achieve 5 trophies to get platinum Three of them are hidden. Gonna get my platinum next week!

thuway said:
I swear Guerilla will never catch a break. GG- you guys are awesome, but you need to find a balance.

KZ 1 - awesome gameplay, zero polish.

KZ 2 - right amount of polish, exciting gameplay

KZ 3 - not enough polish, boring streamlined gameplay

fix'd

Dibbz

GraveRobberX said:
There was a MP BETA for EU in November/December if I remember correctly, was a closed hush-hush BETA
Yeah but all I keep seeing in this thread is fucking gaffers who played KZ2 who don't like KZ3 that keep bringing Brink up because the lead level designer from GG went there after KZ2.

I'm 100% sure that these guys haven't even played Brink's MP yet somehow it's better than KZ3.

alr1ghtstart said:
The Making of Killzone 3

Thy need to realise this. Imo they listened too much. Still a great game, but they need to be more confidend about their own qualities. The game DOES feel like too much of a consession in many ways. Stay Dutch and stay Killzone. easier said than done ofcourse, cause they did a lot right in this game too.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Dibbz said:
Yeah but all I keep seeing in this thread is fucking gaffers who played KZ2 who don't like KZ3 that keep bringing Brink up because the lead level designer from GG went there after KZ2.

I'm 100% sure that these guys haven't even played Brink's MP yet somehow it's better than KZ3.

Brink is better than Battlefield 3. Don't know what you're talking about.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Dibbz said:

From the videos the game is looking pretty good, I saw many MP videos, it looked like a spiritual successor to KZ2 to a point

Look @ this:

http://www.brinkthegame.com/features/teamplay/

Watch these videos, tell me there aren't hints of KZ2, and a new dynamic way of playing a FPS:

http://www.brinkthegame.com/media/videos/

The fact that it takes more than 2 shots to kill someone already makes Brink look superior. Also, its developed by splash damage. They have much more experience and success creating balanced class based online games.

Top Bottom