• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Mikey Jr.

The problem with this fixed spawning is that there are no more sneak attacks or ways to change the flow of battle. If your team is getting spawn trapped, you are pretty much fucked. Sure, one guy can slip away, but as long as you watch your TSP, he aint gonna do jack shit.

In KZ2, one guy could slip away and plant a spawn grenade, and have the team spawn there and be able to flank the enemy or complete an objective. Or if a squad leader slips through, his team could spawn on him. They got rid of both.

They should have given the tact some sort of device that he would have to slowly set up, and it would be about his size, that when set up, was a spawn point. It would have to be something visible, so that the enemy could destroy it, but has health like an ammo box.

I dont know, thats my suggestion.

Probably doesnt matter anyways, I think they aren't changing the spawning system anyways.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Y2Kev said:
I think the campaign is really good.

but they nerfed the tactician aimbot :(
I agree. I am just about done with my first playthrough and I am already looking forward to my second run.

Man

Started the campaign earlier tonight. Played in one sitting until I reached the demo area.

So redundant saying this but the graphics are just terrific.
There are some really cool large scale stuff happening though the path is still relatively narrow.
My favorite part so far is actually the most old school segment of them all being the linear Jungle stealth level.

So did K2's online ever get restored after GG bonked it about a month ago?

After the terrible spawn points and maps of K3, I want to play some K2 MP again, but don't want to invest if I can't level up and acquire new abilities.

Has anyone else already gone back to K2?

Yasir

CartridgeBlower said:

After the terrible spawn points and maps of K3, I want to play some K2 MP again, but don't want to invest if I can't level up and acquire new abilities.

I did consider it. But I mean publics were crap in KZ2 too tbh, the clan games (organised with various bans in place) are still amongst the most fun I've had online this gen. Hoping with the patching of custom games, we'll still be able to set up some organised games with other competitive gaming sites etc.

CartridgeBlower said:

how'd they bonk it?

but yea Ive already gone back to KZ2 and having a lot more fun. Just wish the community was bigger. Have problems finding games that are set up good

spats

Just got my platinum. Thanks to gaffer GothPunk for helping out with the squad trophy. :p

There was almost no challenge in the campaign even on veteran so if you wanna get the trophy, rest assured there's no ball-busting showstopping Radec encounter in this one. Now I think I'll keep playing MP for a while longer and then retire my copy. It's a well made and fun game but underdelivered in some key areas that kept it from being GOTY in my books.

Dying to see how the next game picks up after the ending in KZ3.

JB1981

spats said:
Just got my platinum. Thanks to gaffer GothPunk for helping out with the squad trophy. :p

There was almost no challenge in the campaign even on veteran so if you wanna get the trophy, rest assured there's no ball-busting showstopping Radec encounter in this one. Now I think I'll keep playing MP for a while longer and then retire my copy. It's a well made and fun game but underdelivered in some key areas that kept it from being GOTY in my books.

Dying to see how the next game picks up after the ending in KZ3.
What about some of the on rails sections?

Massa

hertog said:
Ok any tips for online gameplay?
I keep getting killed within a few seconds :(
I suck at first person shooters

Learn the maps and classes in Botzone. You might want to learn one map at a time, and play just on that map until you get a good grip on it.

Play Guerrilla Warfare before jumping into Warzone and Operations, to get unlock points.

Find a class you're good with. You don't have to be great with the shooting to help your team. For example, you can be a Medic (revive team mates) or Engineer (repair ammo crates, place bots to defend areas).

Yasir

hertog said:

Personally, found engineer and tacts to be the best classes (for my play style). The engies final weapon LMG (debately the best in the game) is heavenly, and the tacts assualt rifle (same as KZ2s standard) is still excellent.

I'd say concentrate on a single class. Get to know the maps, where enemies will come from. Don't be afraid to set the map parameters to a single map just so you can get used to it etc.

Avoid operations (personally, seems like a broken mess, spawn camped etc). Guerilla Warfare at the moment is too short, so stick to warzone. Play your role! :)

/obvious advice I know

Prothero

Neo Member
hertog said:

Practice in Botzone alot, on Recruit first and increase difficulty when you're comfortable in doing so. The bots in Killzone make for decent opponents and playing against them alot will help you get a feel for the atmosphere of Killzone multiplayer.

A couple of tips:

- You may want to try the Infiltrator or Tactician classes, as they utilize the Shotgun, which is a great weapon in general and it doesn't require too much accuracy to use properly.

- If you see players repeatedly spawning in areas where they're getting taken down, stay away from those areas and find an alternate route to where you're going.

- Learn the layout of the maps, which will happen with practice. The more routes you learn, the better you'll find navigating matches in KZ3.

- If getting alot of kills isn't your thing, try to do what you can to help with objectives. There are some decent points to be had in KZ3 just by helping your team meet objectives in Warzone.

- On the not liking getting alot of kills note, the Medic has a bot he travels with that's a great companion and the M4 Revolver sidearm functions well as kind of a weaker shotgun.

- If you catch an enemy you're close to off guard, consider using a melee attack. It saves ammo. Also, try to learn the proximity you need to be in for melee, as this will help you decide whether or not to melee someone.

I hope that helps!

Ha. So, I have a stockpile of 51 unlock points because my double XP/all equipment unlocked promotion code refuses to cease working after 17 or so hours of online play. RAD! If I could share the wealth, I would :(.

mickcenary said:
Ha. So, I have a stockpile of 51 unlock points because my double XP/all equipment unlocked promotion code refuses to cease working after 17 or so hours of online play. RAD! If I could share the wealth, I would :(.

Doesnt it work for a full 24hrs of online play? I just got my code through from gamestation today after a few days of waiting to get it through via email, as there was a mess up and they only had the map pack, theme and sound track in the box. I had already played for an hour or two so I'm wondering if its from when i used the code or from when ive played 24hrs online.

smallios74 said:
Doesnt it work for a full 24hrs of online play? I just got my code through from gamestation today after a few days of waiting to get it through via email, as there was a mess up and they only had the map pack, theme and sound track in the box. I had already played for an hour or two so I'm wondering if its from when i used the code or from when ive played 24hrs online.

I was under the impression that it was for the first 24 hours real-time, as in, you enter the code and it counts down regardless of whether you're playing or not. The way you're speaking of seems incredibly unbalanced.

Mikey Jr.

Just hit me how much shit they took out after checking out KZ2 for a bit.

Single player stats gone.
Website stats bare minimum.
Battle replay gone.
Squad system gone.
Clan functionality bare minimum.

I have never seen a game REGRESS this much. Its unbelievable.

Zen

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:

Battle replay gone.
Squad system gone.

They didn't have as many people to work on Killzone 3 as they had with Killzone 2.

I beat the campaign on veteran yesterday and just finished it on elite. During my elite run, I think I used the cover system rarely. Damn grenades make cover kind of useless.

Short review

Good
- Campaign has variety and length.
- Weapons are satisfying.
- Heavy weapons are really fun.
- Some nice eye candy and action setpieces.
- Controls. (Though the cover system is a bit clunky.)
- Cinematic direction.
-
Rico's post-timeskip 'fro.

Bad
- Campaign has pacing issues and overstays its welcome a bit.
- AI left much to be desired, even on higher difficulties.
- Too easy, even on the highest setting.
- Vehicle/on-rail sequences are a bit too trial and error in nature.
- Weapons are not balanced too well; the minigun is just broken. (I'm talking strictly campaign experience).
- Overheating weapons.
- Script. (Dialogue and plot.)
- Cutscene frequency. (I realize that they mask loading.)
- Visually, the game is rather busy. Graphics detract from the gameplay at times.
- FOV feels off.
- Ending was underwhelming.

Stoffinator

ninj4junpei said:
I beat the campaign on veteran yesterday and just finished it on elite. During my elite run, I think I used the cover system rarely. Damn grenades make cover kind of useless.

I just did the same today. Elite isn't that bad, better than KZ2. That damn level in 2 where you have to ride those lava barrels around with the guys shooting at you.

Tom Penny

I was reading the 1.04 patch. They say medic can revive from 20 meters? Is that right. It's like 5 right now if that. I use them alot so now they won't be worthless especially with a 10 second cool down instead of ridiculous 25 seconds. Which they would update marksmen. Too easy and powerful.

Brannon

Every night I play I get "Session Master" errors. None of my other online games have any problems, just this one. It's nice, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this game if it's going to be this way.

Mikey Jr. said:

Battle replay gone.
Squad system gone.

Custom Matches Gone
Private Matches Gone
Custom Soundtracks Gones

I love Killzone 3, but this list of things they have cut is ridiculous.

Abandone

Neo Member
Played with some fellow gaffers last night. I thought I was somewhat decent at the game but jesus, one went like 76-5 (i might be wrong but that was close) and somebody from the other team was like "oh, that's not hard to do".

patsu

hertog said:

What class did you play as ? You should be able to stay longer as Medic. Soon you should be able to unlock the stronger armor perk, and also activate the auto-heal ability. You can get a Triage bot to follow and protect you too once you level up enough.

First tip is to travel in pairs or group. Wait for a teammate before venturing out. Even better if he's a medic.

For Infiltrator, always shoot your teammates first, ask question later. It's best to trust your instinct. If a dude head straight at you from far, sidestep and open fire. Guys don't like to approach another dude head on. Comrades usually head towards an objective (or ignore you). I had 2 Infiltrators head straight at me, killed the first one, got melee'ed by the second immediately. So I guess we should not stop after the first one. ^_^

For invisible Marksman, they are usually weak at close combat. I think the only way is to learn the maps (alternate route to flank them). Also learn the common hiding corners. I fire at these suspect locations all the time. Swap weapon where necessary/possible to keep a healthy ammo.

Sometimes, the enemies will group together in an area (e.g., Top floor in Salamun Market), don't hesitate to take an Exo and rocket that area to disperse them

Mikey Jr.

Zen said:
They didn't have as many people to work on Killzone 3 as they had with Killzone 2.

Wha...

Seriously? If anything, I thought they would have more, considering its a sequel, more expectations, etc.

Really? Less people. Did not know that.

I thought with the engine done, and the foundation of the game done, all these cuts would not have been made.

3rdamention said:
Custom Matches Gone
Private Matches Gone
Custom Soundtracks Gones

I love Killzone 3, but this list of things they have cut is ridiculous.

Yeah, those too.

Wow, what the hell.

Massa

Mikey Jr. said:
Wha...

Seriously? If anything, I thought they would have more, considering its a sequel, more expectations, etc.

Really? Less people. Did not know that.

I thought with the engine done, and the foundation of the game done, all these cuts would not have been made.

Problem is the engine they had for Killzone 2 had severe problems with network lag and controller lag. That's not something you just fix in a patch, they probably had to rethink and rewrite key parts of their engine. And that eats time.

While some features from Killzone 2 (clan support, custom games, etc) were not prioritized for the release of Killzone 3 they're still commited to support them with patches. Just like a lot of the features in Killzone 2 were added post launch, like the half-assed party system.

And finally, it's disingenuous to act like Killzone 3 is a step down from Killzone 2 in terms of features. The game offers a lot more gameplay variety, 3D support, Move support, campaign co-op, three full multiplayer modes instead of one, matchmaking, a real party system, etc.

Of course, some people don't like the direction took with the game but that's a whole other argument. Personally I'm absolutely in love with Killzone 3.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Massa said:
And finally, it's disingenuous to act like Killzone 3 is a step down from Killzone 2 in terms of features. The game offers a lot more gameplay variety, 3D support (will never use), Move support, campaign co-op (will never use), three full multiplayer modes instead of one (hardly, if you call a separate bodycount mode a "new" mode, not to mention you can't play all the modes on all the maps), matchmaking (horrible, this is not a "feature"), a real party system (worse than the clan system in KZ2), etc.

They cut a fuck-ton of features, it's disingenuous to say that they didn't. Just look at the small list I assembled in the op.

Massa

alr1ghtstart said:
They cut a fuck-ton of features, it's disingenuous to say that they didn't. Just look at the small list I assembled in the op.

Right, my point is that they didn't just cut features but also introduced a bunch of new ones. This game is the complete opposite of a feature-starved game.

Their priorities simply weren't in line with your own personal preferences, which sucks, I know.

X-Frame

Massa said:
Right, my point is that they didn't just cut features but also introduced a bunch of new ones. This game is the complete opposite of a feature-starved game.

Their priorities simply weren't in line with your own personal preferences.

But why cut all the features to begin with?

Most were in place and working beautifully in KZ2.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mikey Jr. said:

Battle replay gone.
Squad system gone.

And that's why people are so angry with KZ3.

X-Frame said:

I doubt it's like they started with the KZ2 feature set all ready to go and then just arbitrarily decided to cut those features. It's more likely that they started development, looked at what KZ2 offered. What they wanted to add, and the time they had.

So not that features were cut, but more that they weren't implemented again in favour of other things.

Just finished campaign on vet. The ending is amazing.

*press O to nuke*

*nukes whole planet*

(sounding slightly bummers) "how many people were down there?"

FIN

teehee! At least it was microcosmic of the inexplicable editing throughout. It's amazing how goofy and amateurish the production turned out to be (story wise). They were trying so hard...

Lordy is it fun to shoot Higs though. Elite while skipping all cutscenes is probably the way to enjoy this sucker proper. Any time the level remotely fans out into flanking tactics the action completely shines. I sighed every time the rails showed up. I just wish Guerilla would take note of what they've got working for them, the wonderful mechanics, art, rendering, physics, AI, controls etc, and raise it on a pedestal. And then proceed to get the fuck out of their own way. All this superfluous horribly executed blockbuster bullshit mutes a very solid core.

Stoffinator said:
I just did the same today. Elite isn't that bad, better than KZ2. That damn level in 2 where you have to ride those lava barrels around with the guys shooting at you.
I haven't played Killzone 2 on the higher difficulties. I think I only played it on normal (whatever the equivalent is). I can't imagine the final battle being a whole lot of fun on the higher difficulties. -_- Unfortunately, I am on a "high difficulty" binge right now, so I'll probably replay it soon.

Massa

X-Frame said:

That's the nature of software development. Some times you spend weeks working on something that the end result is the exact same feature set (or smaller), but built on a much more solid foundation.

With luck GG should be able to add the most wanted features back to the game in time.

WTF with this game? Just this and Half Life 2 are the only fps's in recent memory where I get motion sickness. Has pretty much ruined the game for me. Fighting my way through it and I think I'm nearing the end. So yeah over all a horrible gaming experience for me. =/

aristotle

Brannon said:
Every night I play I get "Session Master" errors. None of my other online games have any problems, just this one. It's nice, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this game if it's going to be this way.

Welcome to the last two days I've had. I've lost at least 5 levels worth of xp because of that crap. I'm done with MP until the patch comes out. It sucks being #1 with over 4k in points halfway through a warzone match and then I get "disconnected" from the game for no reason. Uncharted 2 and this game are the only two games in my library that I have issues with online.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
aristotle said:
Welcome to the last two days I've had. I've lost at least 5 levels worth of xp because of that crap. I'm done with MP until the patch comes out. It sucks being #1 with over 4k in points halfway through a warzone match and then I get "disconnected" from the game for no reason. Uncharted 2 and this game are the only two games in my library that I have issues with online.

Pretty sure you still get the points. I believe you keep them as you earn them.

TheHakku

Brannon said:
This has popped up during gameplay for me lately on more than one occasion, but I've never had any connection problems throughout. Never disconnected.

aristotle

commish said:
Pretty sure you still get the points. I believe you keep them as you earn them.

I haven't received any of the points for the disconnects. When that error message pops up saying "you have been disconnected from the network. you must log in again" (not the PSN network); I know the last 20 minutes is for naught.

It always pops up for me after the session master error during gameplay.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Might of missed this in the thread but has anyone else ran into a game breaking co-op bug in the firing range? The second player, when you get to the part where you practice using cover the targets won't show up and they just keep saying "shoot the targets."

patsu

Deadly Cyclone said:
Might of missed this in the thread but has anyone else ran into a game breaking co-op bug in the firing range? The second player, when you get to the part where you practice using cover the targets won't show up and they just keep saying "shoot the targets."

I did. That's because you stand too close to the cover I think. Take half a step back so that you can crouch properly.

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Any time the level remotely fans out into flanking tactics the action completely shines. I sighed every time the rails showed up. I just wish Guerilla would take note of what they've got working for them, the wonderful mechanics, art, rendering, physics, AI, controls etc, and raise it on a pedestal. And then proceed to get the fuck out of their own way. All this superfluous horribly executed blockbuster bullshit mutes a very solid core.
This. Playing through KZ2 again KZ3 sorely mises a Visari square or Salmun Bridge level of just pure sandbox fighting. There aren't many, if any places that allows the AI to breathe. The constant RUSH, RUSH, RUSH tone of KZ3 makes it tiring rather than raising the stakes of the situation.

Proelite

I just finished the game last night. Had a great time. One of my top campaigns of all time this generation along with:

Gears 2
Uncharted 2
Halo 3
Modern Warfare 2

I really liked the none-stop single climax roller coaster ride pacing of the campaign, but I though the cut-scene direction, pacing, animation etc were terrible. Definitely a step back in that regards and pales in comparison to recently released games.

Quick plot questions:

Why did Vekta surrender? Were they threatened by the Helghast fleet?
Was Helghan destroyed in the end, or do people living on helghan have to move really slowly every day now.

Oh yeah, the space mission was fucking terrible. I thought my game glitched when I keep dieing when no enemy was visibly shooting my ship.

cresto

Still rocking 360 only. KZ2 almost made me buy a PS3 two years back, but I held off. Now that KZ3 is out, I'm going through the same motions haha. Is that $300 KZ3 pack worth it? I just blew $300 on one date, so I'd say the KZ3 bundle would be a lot more worth while. Either way, I didn't/won't get laid so not like that makes a difference! lol

Top Bottom