• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Review Thread [Update: Reviews In OP]

fuzzyreactor said:
best online MP ive ever played. KZ3 beta is huge disappointment. ruined the controls to create generic FPS #296

by nature, many of the devoted here are no less radical than the GG forums, just with preferences on the opposite end of the spectrum. One party asks for the unique weighted controls, the other wants floaty, smooth CoD imitations, and the rest of us are left in the crossfire.

And GG's attempts to appease to both parties has seemingly ended in mixed results, at best. I still think that a compromise is the best option, but they clearly haven't figured out how to balance it yet.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So based on the IGN review I gather that this game is basically like Killzone 2 was. Great visuals, pacing, and multiplayer, lackluster story and characters.

Oh well, as long as I don't "beat" the multiplayer in 2 weeks like I did with 2 it will be a blast.

Cyberia

At heart, Killzone 3 is still a ridiculously good looking thrill-fest that challenges little more than your reaction speed - and your visual expectations.

She's not marriage material and eventually, her charms will wear thin. But we can at least guarantee that shooter fans won't regret spending a fair few evenings alone in her company.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/286980/reviews/killzone-3-review/

Killzone 3 is as close to perfect as online shooters get, and I do not say that lightly. The single-player could still use a little bit of work, but its faults pale in comparison to the amount of entertainment that the multiplayer provides, not to mention that the story mode itself really provides some greatness when it needs to. I don't think the PlayStation 3 has ever had quite such a rounded, satisfactory package as this, with this level of polish, refinement and pure, simple, unpretentious action.

Killzone 3 is the shooter to beat.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-killzone-3-192726.phtml

What a surprise Jim.

btkadams

so far it seems like great reviews? the lowest i noticed was 8 from eurogamer. really stoked for this game! i'm sure lower scores will arise, but i am buying this regardless of the reviews. loved killzone 2 and i don't really mind a change in controls if they are implemented well.

wooooooowwwww.....that ign review is utter crap? Amazing single player with a slightly bad story, and amazing multiplayer? 8.5?? C'mon anthony?

BeeDog

NHale said:
I am too and if what I'm hearing is true, can't wait for GAF reactions. Only 50 minutes to go and I already have the popcorn ready.

So what the hell was this shit about then?

Decado

Little concerned now. Sounds like the single player is weak and short and the co-op has frame-rate issues :(

Don't really care about mulitplayer.

BTW, why are the reviews coming out so early for this one?

NHale

Shurs said:
Bullshit. Don't tease something and then slink away. You can at least elaborate on what was said.

Fair enough. 1 reviewer from a very popular website wasn't shy in voicing his opinion on Killzone 3 in a public event.

Decado said:
BTW, why are the reviews coming out so early for this one?

Sony usually have review embargoes end 2/3 weeks before release.

Empty

Deadly Cyclone said:
Wait, he said areas still need work but gave it a 10? How is that possible? 10 means perfect...

why would you say this when in that review they even define what 10 means to them right after the score

10 -- Flawless Victory (10s are as close to perfect as you will get in a genre or on a platform. Pure, untarnished videogame ecstasy.)

Shurs

Edit: I see he responded. Vaguely, of course.

It seems like, all of the "popular" websites are accounted for, except for Giant Bomb.

Almost every review is saying the MP is fantastic, with a lot of reviewers saying it's better than K2.

I know reviews can be way off the mark sometimes...but this at least has me hopeful.

Still getting (high hopes for the campaign), but no online coop... ugh... come on, GG... come on.... I may wait for a lower price.

anddo0

mclaren777 said:
If the story is anywhere near as bad as KZ2, I probably won't even rent KZ3.

All the reviews seem to agree that the story is trash with forgettable characters. IGN/GS mention the fantastic set-piece etc... Sounds an awful like COD to me; which is a bad thing.

I played KZ2 MP for the first two weeks and never touched it again. I'm not into competitive MP in general. So, it looks like it's going to be a long February, as I'm going to skip this one. I'll pick it up for SP this fall ($29.99).. Thank god for Tactics Ogre.

Mr.NiceGuy

Banned
Great reviews so far, in par of what I expected.

This time the hype is not crazy like with KZ2 so I expect the reception to the game to be more rational and well thought, and the 8s the game got and will get is something healthy specially since it's a sequel.

Story is garbage? yeah sounds like Killzone alright.

TrAcEr_x90 said:
wooooooowwwww.....that ign review is utter crap? Amazing single player with a slightly bad story, and amazing multiplayer? 8.5?? C'mon anthony?

Personally I'm glad reviewers suddenly have standards, but it irks me the wrong way when they let other games off the hook for the same shit. Reach 9.5 graphics, KZ3 9.5 graphics...ok wtf. Story is bad, characters are bad, reminds me of 95% of games. Its good they knock the game down for those negative points but you need to do it across the board.

KZ is the only other series off the top of my head besides Halo that puts effort in both MP and SP but that seems to go unnoticed by most. Anyway, this is nothing new with PS3 exclusives imho. I'm looking forward to it even though I can except a few flaws along the way. Hopefully the lag is fixed before release.

Dennis

Banned
Consensus seems to be that it is a good game - I am buying.

Killzone 2 is still just about the best looking console game ever so I hope they can still impress me with KZ3.

Game sounds like complete trash. Some of these reviews are really strange. They barely talk about the multiplayer in detail (and even get some facts wrong) but rave about it in their final wrap-up. Sounds like Sony paying some people off.

H_Prestige said:
Game sounds like complete trash. Some of these reviews are really strange. They barely talk about the multiplayer in detail (and even get some facts wrong) but rave about it in their final wrap-up. Sounds like Sony paying some people off.

Joke post... right?

mclaren777

anddo0 said:
All the reviews seem to agree that the story is trash with forgettable characters. IGN/GS mention the fantastic set-piece etc... Sounds an awful like COD to me; which is a bad thing.
The most tragic/frustrating thing about KZ2 (and likely KZ3) is that the fiction of the universe is actually quite fantastic!

But for some unknown reason the game writers never really take advantage of the mythos. It's baffling.

A few new screens

UNC20.jpg

acn7b.jpg

sEFIB.jpg

jS4eC.jpg

HIaxX.jpg

HaSVr.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/287079/news/killzone-3-24-stunning-hd-screenshots/

mclaren777 said:
The most tragic/frustrating thing about KZ2 (and likely KZ3) is that the fiction of the universe is actually quite fantastic!

But for some unknown reason the game writers never really take advantage of the mythos. It's baffling.
I think that they try, but they're not very good at implementing it. The political struggle between the arms dealer and the admiral seems intriguing, but it obviously didn't work out in the execution.

RedRedSuit said:
Joke post... right?

No. Destructoid gave it a perfect 10 saying it's the best MP on consoles right. Yet they don't even know the difference between warzone and guerilla warfare.

H_Prestige said:
No. Destructoid gave it a perfect 10 saying it's the best MP on consoles right. Yet they don't even know the difference between warzone and guerilla warfare.
Just means that Jim's an impulsive dweeb with a short attention span; it has nothing to do with payoffs, don't be naive.

Is the game longer than 2 at least? That was my biggest problem with KZ2. Or is it another short fps that we keep seeing being churned out?

mclaren777 said:
The most tragic/frustrating thing about KZ2 (and likely KZ3) is that
the fiction of the universe is actually quite fantastic!

Find it to be just like Halo universe, you got lot of interesting background, but the games always tend to fail at telling a compelling story within these universes. Too bad Killzone is not more popular that we would potentially get some interesting tie in novels/comics.

H_Prestige said:
Game sounds like complete trash.

No it doesn't

mclaren777 said:

Can't do much when the characters in the games are so bad.

H_Prestige said:

It's not a joke post?

Sony paying off JIM FUCKING STERLING is not a joke? Do you know who he is and how he operates?

Saying the game sounds like "complete trash" is not a joke? There is nothing to suggest anything of the sort.

Even though Sterling seems to have mixed up a couple of facts (he also said KZ3 has online coop, which is untrue), the above statements are complete nonsense.

GeoramA

So it's way more MP-focused as expected. To me, it seems like a waste with this awesome engine.

Oh well, will pick this up later this year like I always had planned.

lol @ moneyhat conspiracies

mclaren777

marathonfool said:
Can't do much when the characters in the games are so bad.
They had a clean sheet of paper with KZ2. The terrible characters are entirely their fault.

Edit: anybody who hasn't read the backstory of the Killzone conflict should check out posts 3 & 4.

PGalG.jpg

H_Prestige said:

Sterling is a BIG fan of Killzone. He always says that Killzone 2 was the best shooter of 2009, so I don't think that Sony need to pay him to score it with a 10.

Lion Heart said:
Personally I'm glad reviewers suddenly have standards, but it irks me the wrong way when they let other games off the hook for the same shit. Reach 9.5 graphics, KZ3 9.5 graphics...ok wtf. Story is bad, characters are bad, reminds me of 95% of games. Its good they knock the game down for those negative points but you need to do it across the board.

KZ is the only other series off the top of my head besides Halo that puts effort in both MP and SP but that seems to go unnoticed by most. Anyway, this is nothing new with PS3 exclusives imho. I'm looking forward to it even though I can except a few flaws along the way. Hopefully the lag is fixed before release.

It looks that this happens incidentally.

I hope to play it soon and see for myself how it stacks up to other shooters.

I'll pass on this game until it's cheaper. Not because the reviews have been below Killzone 2 (I personally think some of the score deduction is ridiculous. COD, Halo, Gears, etc story are all garbage as well but you don't see this kind of nitpicking there), but I'll wait on getting this game due to lack of online co op. That, to me, is not acceptable in a FPS in 2011, sorry.

DSc

Does anyone else find it a bit weird that almost everyone is claiming Killzone 3's multiplayer to be amazing, when journalists (at least in Europe) have only been given the beta and 30 minutes of the final build to try it out?

DSc said:
Does anyone else find it a bit weird that almost everyone is claiming Killzone 3's multiplayer to be amazing, when journalists (at least in Europe) have only been given the beta and 30 minutes of the final build to try it out?
new to the gaming press, I see.

Top Bottom