• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall - Intercept Expansion |OT| Tank, bank, and spank

EekTheKat

Played like 6 matches yesterday with a full team with mics. It felt fresh and new at first but by the end it was starting ii feel samey. The glitched weapon unlocking being the main reason why. It doesn't really have anything to work towards. It is fun though. One map ( highway I think ) is pretty awesome.

Does the weapon not unlock if you progress through the full bar? Because I'm seeing the Rumbler starting to unlock after I did all the rank 1 challenges for the Marksman. To me it seems like you have to do the Marksman challenge first, then the weapon progression will start unlocking.

I suspect it's one weapon unlock challenge set open per Marksman level, with the rumbler being the first unlock.

It's going to take me while to get the requirements to totally unlock the rumbler though, since I don't really play KZ all that much anymore.

EL CUCO

Anybody know to use the Jet pack? Every time we unlock them we're just running around with them on our backs like idiots lol

Also, GG just put this video up. Should probably be added to the OP Killzone Shadow Fall Intercept 'tutorial': http://youtu.be/4Yqp4bHIEoQ

EekTheKat

The 10,000 point games can last for HOURS depending on player skill and teamwork lol last one I was in lasted like an hour + 17 minutes with 3 other pretty decent players. On another game with a different group we fought for 30 minutes only to lose when people kept bleeding out/respawning with no medic on the team.

It's definitely something different though - I went into it a bit lukewarm about it but I found myself playing it more and more as I start to grasp how the scoring mechanics work.

I like the mode but I don't know how much longevity it's gonna have. It depends on how far off the other map packs are and if they can add some more unlocks.

Everdred

I have the season pass and downloaded the co-op but it isn't unlocked in game. I restarted my PS4, still nothing.

Deadstar

So having to unlock the weapons seems like a bonus to me. Having everything unlocked in regular multiplayer made me not want to play. I had nothing to work towards.

Have they fixed the crashes when joining with a party? Guerrilla said they were able to reproduce the problem and there would be a fix ASAP.

Its a game killer for us, but we did have fun when we did get to play - by starting a match up and then having my buddy join in at that point.

Anybody know to use the Jet pack? Every time we unlock them we're just running around with them on our backs like idiots lol
Left trigger to thrust, right trigger to fire, with default controls anyway.

EekTheKat

I'm having fun with it, but is is unacceptable. I just played for over an hour in one match having my best game ever and the game crashed in the last minute.

On the bright side, I can confirm that weapons do unlock, got the in game prompt for it right before the game ending crash

rich7sena

Banned
This looks pretty cool. I must say, I hope stand-alone DLC becomes more of a trend this generation--especially for multiplayer. I think a game like Call of Duty could benefit with this system.

Some quick tips from playing for a bit:

* Medics, always have a supply box situated near the bank. Its protected and it sets up a good bank & resupply rhythm. Save your secondary supply box for any front lines that are established. Just make sure there is some cover so that people can resupply while taking fire.

* Tacticians, don't set up your turrets before you know where the enemy is coming from. They'll just flank and destroy your turret. Best possible placement is one that can't be targeted from long range too.

* Assaults, don't be pussies slowly creeping your way around the map - get your ass out there and fucking assault. An assault followed by a medic is a nigh unstoppable force of nature, and is the quickest and most potent way to secure or re-secure a point. Don't forget your secondary shotgun with fire ammo.

* Everyone: Don't forget to bank your points! Its easy to get caught up in the action, and end up bleeding out while the medic ignores you. All them points, gone...

Just really beginner stuff. There seems like a lot more to learn.

What does the marksman's drone do anyway? Never did notice.

EekTheKat

IMHO, don't randomly bank points - play the multiplier a little and get a huge chunk of the score at once.

Also, a well timed bank can be a round saver if your team is out of funds.

Is there anyone using the party system who can actually play together or does everyone end up with the CE-34878-0 error?

Being in the party system definitely causes the error. Another GAFfer and I kept getting it last night, but by disbanding the party, and having one person join the other (who has entered a game mode) will allow you two to play together without erroring out.

If anyone wants to add me, my PSN is hi-fi_famicom.
Looking forward to banking those points with my fellow GAFfers.
Until the Destiny beta, lol

Are there multiple difficulty options or does the game just adjust accordingly? I swear some maps are a cake walk followed by the whole helghast army bearing down on you the next time.

Also the assault classes shotgun is OP. You barely even have to aim and you just blast right through those suckers. So good.

Are there multiple difficulty options or does the game just adjust accordingly? I swear some maps are a cake walk followed by the whole helghast army bearing down on you the next time.
There's no discrete difficulty settings but there's supposed to be an AI director/commander at work that scales the difficulty to how well the players are doing. It seems to decide which units to spawn (including bosses) and which objectives to assign to those units.

Holy crap this seems sooooooo awesome. I don't have the game though :( guess I'm waiting till August.

Looking for anything to fill that enjoyment I had with resistance 2 multi.

This seems like a much more robust take on the horde mode, and with Killzone's ai, Hmmm

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Should've been in the game from day one. Not interested/Not in the budget.

Gaz_RB

Being in the party system definitely causes the error. Another GAFfer and I kept getting it last night, but by disbanding the party, and having one person join the other (who has entered a game mode) will allow you two to play together without erroring out.

If anyone wants to add me, my PSN is hi-fi_famicom.
Looking forward to banking those points with my fellow GAFfers.
Until the Destiny beta, lol

I can't believe we finally finished that...

10,000 points is a lot of points haha

Waiting to get paid this Friday and then im gonna scoop this up!

Hope there's still a community by then! omg hurr hurr hurr :p

EekTheKat

Goddamn it this game is pissing me off. Always crashes near end of matches.

Game just doesn't want me to get my first unlock

It wasn't a medic crash, it wasn't anything special. Game is just flat out unstable in its current state.

My PUG teammates are constantly disconnecting as well

I sold Killzone, but I'm glad this is coming as a standalone. Not sure if I'll pay $20, so I'll wait for a sale and hope people are still playing by then.

The mechanics for the mode sound very intriguing and refreshing, has any other game done a concept like that?

How are the maps by the way? My only complaint is that it just doesn't seem like they worked so hard on the actual co-op, and it seems to just recycle/copy and paste stuff from the competitive MP. Is that true, or do maps/objectives feel designed with co-op in mind?

What's the point of holding the capture points by the way? What happens if the enemy holds it all?

Edit: Whoa, there are bosses? What are they like? Do they require a lot of strategy/class work, or is it just shooting the crap out of them?

Also, just HOW hard do the enemies get? There's a time limit, right? Are there leaderboards? And, what are the actual game options like? What can you adjust?

Sitris

Is it only 4 players or can you play it with less people? I have the season pass but my friend doesn't have it right now, not sure if they want to play with random or just friends.

No buy then. Cheers for answering :)

I know the game isn't designed for it, but especially since this is a standalone, I feel like 4 player split screen would have been an incredible draw for consumers.

I swear, games like Halo thrived because of it, and it's clear games like Mario Kart also are popular for the same reason.

Hopefully the community is pretty strong to keep the co-op going. Being a standalone product is definitely a great strategy, though I wonder if $20 is too high.

How many maps are there? GG could have made the co-op free/offered a free demo, like Killzone 3. It'd be a great way to revitalize this game/get it in new hands.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is so much fun. This is the type of intense combat I expected out of a PS4 Killzone game.

Anyone else think the visuals have been improved as well? AA and lighting seem a lot better to me.

Fezan

This small DLC i played regularly for 5 hours. Its that fun. and i hated hated K:SF single player. looks like another team is working on it

This small DLC i played regularly for 5 hours. Its that fun. and i hated hated K:SF single player. looks like another team is working on it
The classes are all great fun to use, and the particular spread of powers and special items are so much better balanced in a co-op setup.

The only thing I'd change is to make the medic's resupply crates last longer. There have been plenty of times where I've seen a medic place a supply crate just before we rush to retake a control point and by the time we come back from that skirmish its disappeared. Preferably they'd stay until their supply was used up rather than being on a timer.

bayman

Neo Member
Question is this worth buying? Still have the game, but havent played it in a while. Loved the MP alot, really couldnt get into the SP.

If you like co-op horde type modes, it's an evolution with much more depth thanks to 4 classes that all play completely differently. Be prepared for a learning curve, although it does include a training area for rookies to get acquainted with the game together. Games with multiple new players can be over real quick because once enemies get a foothold the difficulty snowballs. I've played for 2 nights and I'm nowhere close to knowing all the intricacies.

I've only had 1 disconnect in 4-5 hours of playing so far, so some people are having issues but it's not a total gong show (says the guy not trying to play with a friends list).

FrankCaron

Gold Member
I definitely noticed this whole challenge bug last night, though. I completed a bunch of challenges, and I can see them marked as completed in the menu, but I don't actually see any progress towards unlocks reflected in the "earn X points to unlock this gun" section of a particular class.

JB1981

Played last night and these are my initial impressions:

Netcode was not good. Very laggy.
UI is horrendous for co-op. Readability is terrible and I can hardly see what is what onscreen.
I found the experience confusing and I wasn't sure what the actual objective was. Do I capture links? Do I just shoot the enemies? What is the end game?

bayman

Neo Member
Played last night and these are my initial impressions:

Netcode was not good. Very laggy.
UI is horrendous for co-op. Readability is terrible and I can hardly see what is what onscreen.
I found the experience confusing and I wasn't sure what the actual objective was. Do I capture links? Do I just shoot the enemies? What is the end game?

Everything you do gives you points (killing,healing,re-capturing,etc.) but you have to bank them to the team score (go into the big circle called the bank in the base) or lose them if you die and don't get revived by the medic (you get point multipliers for living dangerously and not banking). You win when you achieve the combined team score required. You want to hold the zones as much as possible and if you lose 2, you start losing team points. If you lose all 3 it's game over. These are just the very basics in case anyone thinks this sounds too simple.

bayman

Neo Member
What actually happened? I only just picked up the game a month ago, and I've been playing online without waiting too too long. Seems perfectly playable and fun to me?

GG made too many me too decisions to try and copy COD and copy it's success rather than embracing being the alternative. Most people that buy COD aren't looking for an alternative and they've been bleeding interest from the people who actually liked the franchise as an alternative. One of the GG guys said they chose competitive over co-op at launch because a shooter has to have competitive MP. I'm pretty sure the results and community size have said otherwise. I think Intercept being available at launch would have been much more attractive than the regular MP. Having said all that I don't think Sony is crying over the actual sales for KZ:SF or anything.

lordxar

The MP is fine. People trying to play it like COD is what kills it. The matches are slower, more deliberate, more intense, and more brutal but all the newcomers try and play fast and loose and end up hating it because its too slow and they can't rack up 30-0 k/d every match. I for one loved the MP. The nuances of each weapon and class. Mastering each to complete challenges. Very satisfying over all.

Tried this coop the other day and loved it! Want to play more but the fkn blue screen...

Top Bottom