• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall - Intercept Expansion |OT| Tank, bank, and spank

I fucking love Marksman now. I was really into Tactician for a while, but that class is terrible to level up. I can do in 3 games for Marksman what took me 15 games as a Tactician.

I'm even sometimes out-killing and out-banking the Tacticians I play with when I'm doing Marksman. Such a fun class.

Wish I could pick up a gun that's on the ground as a Tactician. The pistol sucks, and yes, you have 3 turrets, but still.

Grinchy

Banned
Wish I could pick up a gun that's on the ground as a Tactician. The pistol sucks, and yes, you have 3 turrets, but still.

Yeah, like I understand why they did things the way they did. The Tactician will always have the most kills and the most banked points unless the person sucks at playing it, so it probably would be too overpowered if it had a good gun too.

I learned to love the Ripper with that class, but the Judaz seriously made me stop playing Tactician. I just refuse to grind 200 kills with that shit gun.

SirCrush

Someone also mentioned that the Medic's scores weren't counting properly and now they are. Haven't run my Medic since the patch so idk.

This shotgun pistol is a piece of shit. I will finish every one of my posts in this thread with that phrase until I unlock the damn Sickle. -_-

Grinchy

Banned
I unlocked Tier 3 for marksman. The Stova is surprisingly fun to use, but I can't wait for that Vultur. I'm really glad I gave up on that stupid Judaz bullshit for Tactician. This is way more fun.

Speaking of, it seems like every time I boot this up with my brother (he plays medic) we end up playing for at least 3 hours straight. It really hooks us hard.

MADGAME

Yeah, like I understand why they did things the way they did. The Tactician will always have the most kills and the most banked points unless the person sucks at playing it, so it probably would be too overpowered if it had a good gun too.

I learned to love the Ripper with that class, but the Judaz seriously made me stop playing Tactician. I just refuse to grind 200 kills with that shit gun.

I'm having a tough time getting headshots and even consistent kills with the Ripper. Feels like I'll never get to the Judaz, and after reading your post have lost all motivation :( I know some like to unlock everything, but I'd be happy making it to the sickle.

Setting up a shield and pea-shooting enemies seems like a viable way to get kills/headshots with the crappy pistols, but I feel bad not using it to protect a turret.

SirCrush

I'm having a tough time getting headshots and even consistent kills with the Ripper. Feels like I'll never get to the Judaz, and after reading your post have lost all motivation :( I know some like to unlock everything, but I'd be happy making it to the sickle.

Setting up a shield and pea-shooting enemies seems like a viable way to get kills/headshots with the crappy pistols, but I feel bad not using it to protect a turret.

Click L1. 3 round burst with the Ripper makes that gun QUITE useful.

The Judaz is a piece of shit.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah you can get some decent headshots by doing the bursts if you aim somewhat near the neck/chest area and let it burst up to the head.

I find the enemy movement in general to be janky sometimes, though. An enemy will almost wiggle back and forth sometimes. Or they will continue moving in a single direction, which should make things easy, but it seems like I'm somehow never placing my shots properly despite my crosshairs being lined up perfectly.

I've gotten more used to it after a lot of playing. I can get 10-20 headshots with the Rumbler in a match now if I'm really trying for them and not caring about death. So that's usually what I do to grind out the headshot challenges. The STA rifle is pretty good for them too but it takes much more finesse.

SirCrush

Got to tier 3 with Tactician finally. Judaz still sucks ass. Thankfully I got a gimped version of the Sickle now :p

Idunno, I haven't used this shottie much but it seems to have better range/faster reload when not used by a Tactician. I could just be annoyed and seeing red :p

Now that I am happy with all my class' weapons available to them, I am just using whatever class is open when I join a game. t2 Assault, t2 (almost 3) Marskman, 3 and 3 Medic and Tact.

The gameplay is getting a little stale. Certain matches seem to be harder than others with more frequent/populated waves. Outpost seems to have the least frequent waves, I've noticed. It's a rather easy map, especially for the Tactician. There are very productive turret spots on that map where I rarely have to re-plant, if ever.

Anyways...still fun but I am convinced that this mode needs...something. Some polish. More waves. More enemy variety. Something.

Tactician out.

Not sure what other enemies they could add besides the riot shield guys from campaign. I guess they could add ATACs but air drones are already annoying enough because marksman don't use the LS70.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I'd hate this mode if I actually did the 200 Judaz kills. I'm glad I got away from Tactician and started doing Marksman. I think I'll do Medic next.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I think I'd hate this mode if I actually did the 200 Judaz kills. I'm glad I got away from Tactician and started doing Marksman. I think I'll do Medic next.

Mode is really cool but it lacks depth. Its pretty much capture the node with smart bots.

Mode is really cool but it lacks depth. Its pretty much capture the node with smart bots.
Yeah, the combat is Killzone at its best, and there is very real teamwork because of the classes, limit of one class per game, and point system, but the single command point capture and hold gametype won't have real legs to it, regardless of how long the grind is for classes and weapons. Its a shame too, because its fucking gorgeous and plays damn well.

Guerrilla will need to add either additional co-op modes or new kinds of waves or objectives in the core gametype. Would love to see something new, gameplay wise, when the next set of maps come out.

MADGAME

Click L1. 3 round burst with the Ripper makes that gun QUITE useful. The Judaz is a piece of shit.
Not looking forward to it.

It would be interesting to see how MP matches would play using the 4 classes from co-op, without the option to change abilities.

I think this is the only class based multiplayer game I've played where I enjoy each class equally.

Sprinting around with the Assault, taking enemies down from a distance with the rifle and acting as the tip of the spear in rushing/defending points with the incendiary shotty feels good. Don't even need a jetpack, as this class packs all kinds of damage and has mobility ta boot.

Medic is almost as hectic as Assault. I try to stay glued to the Assault player and use health wave when taking or holding points, and toss emps to either soften up the pack of defenders or to slow down any reinforcements that might show up while we're exposed. I'll always leave one supply at base and then place a second one behind cover at a control point when the combat is heavy. Gimme a jetpack and I'll never ever miss a revive, even if you're across the map. This class could use a serious boost in points earned though - if a medic is doing his job with a good team, there's no way that medic will ever get a high score or those MVP call-outs.

I've always enjoyed coming up with turret placements (goes back to old days of playing Tribes 2 vs bots just to see if I could hold back attacks with turrets alone), so racking up the kills as Tactician is crazy satisfying. When I've set up all of my turrets I do find myself separated from the rest of the team sometimes, just patrolling the turrets and providing them a little bit of support from smaller attacks. Still only have that starter pistol, but on burst mode its fun if not quite a killing machine. Gimme a jetpack and its a serious firepower upgrade.

And lastly, my biggest suprise: Marksman. I usually can't stand sniper classes in multiplayer games, but the fact that the primary does area effect damage really changes things up. That and being able to position yourself on the high ground and spot the incoming waves just as they start and when they're all clumped up together for maximum area effect carnage. My only problem with this class is that to rank up I need to physically take control points and get melee kills, which goes against my usual crow's nest playstyle. But gimme a jetpack and I mix things up a bit more.

Grinchy

Banned
^As far as marksman goes, luckily you only need to get 5 brutal melees and then you never have to think about it again. And when you unlock the Rumbler and Stova, it's pretty easy to run around with your crew taking over points and spraying some headshots.

My favorite part of Marksman is definitely hiding up in a perch and sniping, though. I am getting close to unlocking the Vultur. Can't wait for that gun.

SirCrush

@NullPointer 100% in agreement with everything you uttered up there lol

I have been lobbying on mic and threw a thread up on Killzone: SF's official forum to get the Medic point rewards upped. Doubt it'll happen but it needs to. It's nice when teammates realize the work you put in but the scoreboard should reflect that.

Yeah I enjoy ALL classes too. After getting to T3 with the Tactician, it's smooth sailing. You're gonna hate the Judaz. Fuck that weapon.

I, too, hated the first time I was Marskman. "I'm stuck with the Sniper? AWW!!" And then that secondary weapon...such a blast, pardon the pun! :D

Still maining Tactician though. I do feel cheap when I get most kills almost every match, knowing it's my turrets doing most of the work, but that's only inspired me to try to do that much better so my kill count is much higher than the "turret kills" stat on the scoreboard :p

Grinchy

Banned
I only needed to kill a few more air drones for my Marksman earlier. So I stuck to just using the Fors on the Highway map. The Medic was putting a supply box in the base.

It was only a 3000 point game and I didn't bank for the first time until I had over 1000 points lol. Using nothing but the Fors on that map is just complete domination. I ended up banking like 1300 of our points.

Just got my 50 win trophy and the last intercept one I could get - and just noticed that every last one of the trophies has an Ultra Rare 0.1% unlock rate.

Jeez.

People are missing out.

fixuis

Very interested in getting this - Before I do so , Is this limited to friends list only or can I join random online co-op matches?

Is the season pass worth getting?

SirCrush

^ I can't speak for the season pass but I'm getting my $10 worth in Intercept, for sure.

Matchmaking is available, you don't have to join friends but can.

Santar

So this is now available as a standalone purchase.
But as I don't have plus I'm wondering if it is playable at all?
Does anybody know if you can play solo without plus?
I've heard about a practice mission, but can you play the actual game without plus?

FrankCaron

Gold Member
I'm really disappointed that the standalone version isn't available free to people who purchased the Season's Pass. Intercept is the only mode left worth playing in SF, and to have to have the full game installed and disc on hand just to play it really sucks. :(

Worse yet, for people buying in for this version, there isn't a clear upgrade path. You'd have to buy the full retail game and then the Season's Pass with no discount resulting for your $20 spend on the standalone version.

Top to bottom clusterfuck. Was debating the double dip just to not have the full game installed but feeling the urge to just say no as a matter of voting with wallet.

So this is now available as a standalone purchase.
But as I don't have plus I'm wondering if it is playable at all?
Does anybody know if you can play solo without plus?
I've heard about a practice mission, but can you play the actual game without plus?

Idk about plus but this is tough to play solo unless you choose the class with the turrets but that class has a crap gun. I don't recommend this either way but definitely not for solo play.

Varvor

Started playing KZSF in prep for Destiny...SP and MP been decent but breaking though it has been challenging...while i am having trouble getting into it, game has this charm and charisma that just pulls me back in every time.

So i finaly bought the Co-op mode..man this is awesome!!

Its hard as fuck and fun and soooo damn fun! I am not sure how it was at lunch to have issues with user base and game as a whole but playing it week in to september sure is nice.

Many gafers still play this game?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Okay I overlooked one major detail about this... I purchased the standalone and I own the disc.

Will Sony be understanding and refund me 10 bucks?

legacyzero

Banned
I wish the Season Pass was free... I really want that KZ2 assault rifle, bit with the drop in community for this game, it simply isnt worth the investment.

Jamesways

Can you unlock attachments? That's what irritated me.

Yes, you sure can! I spent quite a long time last night leveling up and unlocked several attachments.
And got the k/d ratio up a bit. I'm pretty terrible online, I get points from objectives, but straight up deathmatch style, I'm awful.
.50 is about average.

Loving the online botzone mode now. Fun to explore certain maps and missions while still progressing.

Yes, you sure can! I spent quite a long time last night leveling up and unlocked several attachments.
And got the k/d ratio up a bit. I'm pretty terrible online, I get points from objectives, but straight up deathmatch style, I'm awful.
.50 is about average.

Loving the online botzone mode now. Fun to explore certain maps and missions while still progressing.

Great! Thanks.

MikeyB

Just purchased and planning on getting really into this over the next month and a half. Anyone still playing? Add me: MBurdock

MikeyB

This game is a blast.

Consistently found 2 to 3 player games midweek. Several full games on the weekend. I hope they add this to PS Plus so that more people can enjoy this co-op goodness.

Does GAF ever arrange mobs of older games? Like getting a whole bunch of people who own an older game to jump back on at the same time? It could be fun.

I don't have interception but is there a GAF clan? Just picked this up and was hoping for a group to play online with if possible.

Played and beat every Killzone title, so Im not new to the series/multiplayer but new to Shadow Fall itself.

Solo Act

I don't have interception but is there a GAF clan? Just picked this up and was hoping for a group to play online with if possible.

Played and beat every Killzone title, so Im not new to the series/multiplayer but new to Shadow Fall itself.

I'm wondering the same thing about a GAF group. I have the intercept expansion but there's never anyone online in that mode. I end up by myself for about a round and then get killed because it is clearly meant for 4 people to play together.

This is the only game I have for my new PS4 while I wait for Witcher and Batman to come out this summer, so it would be fun to have some people to play with. Hopefully you and I aren't late to the Shadowfall party since it was a launch game.

There is a GAF clan, but everyone pretty much stopped playing 3-4 months after launch. It was great, though. We steamrolled tons of teams, and occasionally faced off against better teams, which was challenging but fun.

We even made up our own game of "Ride the Drone." Everyone spawns as Engineer and throws out an Attack Drone simultaneously. Then you stand on your drone and see who can stay up the longest. Another variation was jumping onto multiple drones and see how many jumps you can make while before they de-spawned.

Too bad no clan :( I guess I missed out on the gravy train.

The multiplayer is fun, but at this point I don't see a point in buying any DLC as it's all multi based.

Even though most claim it as something bad against this Killzone, I really enjoy the openness and slow pace as it's nice to come into from a long day of work. I take it as a fun tour of Vekta and space rather than an all out shooter.

It's very different from Killzones of past, but not taking it into account it's an enjoyable ride so far. Have yet to complete it.

Massa

I was thinking of buying this in the latest EU PSN sale, but I guess there's not much of a community left by now?

For the coop expansion? Yeah, only buy this if you have at least one friend also buying it. There's a two player mode now that I suppose is more doable than regular coop which was designed for 4 players.

Too bad no clan :( I guess I missed out on the gravy train.

The multiplayer is fun, but at this point I don't see a point in buying any DLC as it's all multi based.

Even though most claim it as something bad against this Killzone, I really enjoy the openness and slow pace as it's nice to come into from a long day of work. I take it as a fun tour of Vekta and space rather than an all out shooter.

It's very different from Killzones of past, but not taking it into account it's an enjoyable ride so far. Have yet to complete it.

For the competitive multiplayer there's still an active community, I play the game every day and on Brazilian servers on top of that, which makes it a much better experience than something like Battlefield 4, where the lag is far more noticeable.

Played an absolute epic game yesterday, 4-4 and the last objective (beacon retrieval) was tied with one team capturing a beacon with 30 seconds to go, and my team miraculously capturing the game tie with 4 seconds left.

I love playing the game now even more than when it launched, it's far less common to play a match where people don't use the class abilities or play the objectives.

lordxar

I need to play this more. Absolutely the best PS4 shooter IMO. I love BF too but KZ really nails it for me. BF is good with friends but I can play KZ solo and have a great time. Especially these days since most of those left playing are who want to be there for the long haul instead of the "only game out" like it kind of was at launch. Plus GG has had awesome support.

Anyone else thinking about picking this up over the weekend? It's so cheap on psn for the sale, it's not much of a loss if no-one is playing any more, but I thought I'd check anyway. I heard it's not really a solo-able mode

Top Bottom