• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall - Intercept Expansion |OT| Tank, bank, and spank

EekTheKat

I hate medics who put supply boxes in the bank circle. They think it's a clever way to get people to bank their points but all that does is force me to lose the bonus multiplier if I want more grenades or ammo.

I typically only bank if I'm attacking a node or doing something risky, otherwise I tend to wait until at least a level 4 multiplier before turning in.

Do the right thing and just put it anywhere around the bank circle, not directly in it.

barit

Coop is great ! Have a blast to play it with friends. Love how the music kicks in when a special foe appears. Shit can get really intense. Sweating hands after 30min. is not unusual lol. And i think the Coop uses the SP rendering in full 1080p glory. Seems lesser blurry then the MP (and only 30FPS?). Good work so far Guerrilla. Kudos for that.

MADGAME

Not sure how I feel about The Highway map having an angled field of view. I find myself tilting my head a bit.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
I think Intercept being available at launch would have been much more attractive than the regular MP. Having said all that I don't think Sony is crying over the actual sales for KZ:SF or anything.
I would've probably bought a PS4 at launch if that was the case. Co-op is what pushed me over the edge now (along with FFXIV).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Sony needs to put Intercept on PS+ or allow for a demo of the standalone version. I think it'll appeal to a lot of people who didn't like what else the game had to offer.

EL CUCO

Wowwww just had an amazing match going in the 10,000 mode. 4x multiplier up, jet packing through Helghast, dropping morters, everything that could've been going right was happening.

And then the worst happened...CRASHHHH A FUCKIN CRASH!!!!!

Fix this shit Guerrilla!

No more long mode for me until they fix the crashing.

Grinchy

Banned
Wowwww just had an amazing match going in the 10,000 mode. 4x multiplier up, jet packing through Helghast, dropping morters, everything that could've been going right was happening.

And then the worst happened...CRASHHHH A FUCKIN CRASH!!!!!

Fix this shit Guerrilla!

No more long mode for me until they fix the crashing.

Yeah it's insanely annoying. I can't take revives at all because it has been a guaranteed crash each time.

Gaz_RB

My primary issue is with the DLC is the challenge level. When you get 4 people who know what they're doing, the game is just not hard. It basically just becomes whack a mole. Go to spawn point, kill a few Helghast, and go to the next one. The only times it felt difficult was in Highway, and only because the spawn points were close together, or when I just got bored/lazy.

My suggestions: Increase enemy count/enemy variety and make the spawning more random (drop ships, teleporting in).

I'll keep playing it though, the gunplay is great and I'm having a fun time for the most part. I'm interested to see how it develops.

TEH-CJ

Banned
They re worked some of the animation in the campaign. The shotgun now sends people flying in spastic rag doll. You guys should try it.

Sony needs to put Intercept on PS+ or allow for a demo of the standalone version. I think it'll appeal to a lot of people who didn't like what else the game had to offer.

Yep. Give us a demo of one map or something, or give it to us over a long weekend.

$20 feels like a bit much for a standalone. GG can easily milk the co op without it feeling cheap. Microtransactions for skins/weapons, split screen support, dlc maps for a fee (invite friends who dont have the dlc). This seems much more refreshing and a real moneymaker if they can get this in the hands of non-Killzone players.

Are there leaderboards? Or is it just a romp with friends?

Whats their plan for the rest of the season pass content? More coop or just MP maps?

Grinchy

Banned
I had a 40 minute normal match earlier (3000 points). We kept cycling through people who joined and sucked. I had 250 kills and banked 2000 points by the end of it.

Some people are shockingly bad at this. Also the crashes are way too annoying. The mode is really sweet when it's working, but to lose all your progress with a crash is going to keep me from playing it.

Plus, the progression makes no sense. With my 200+ turret kills in that round, none of them counted toward a weapon unlock b/c I haven't finished the Tier 1 challenges. None of the uplink captures or anything counted either all because I'm missing 2 headshots. It's just dumb.

still haven't been able to try the co-op yet. just want to say that the reason i stopped playing the multiplayer after 15 minutes if because of the horrible resolution and framerate. it was unplayable for me.

I had a 40 minute normal match earlier (3000 points). We kept cycling through people who joined and sucked. I had 250 kills and banked 2000 points by the end of it.

Some people are shockingly bad at this. Also the crashes are way too annoying. The mode is really sweet when it's working, but to lose all your progress with a crash is going to keep me from playing it.

Plus, the progression makes no sense. With my 200+ turret kills in that round, none of them counted toward a weapon unlock b/c I haven't finished the Tier 1 challenges. None of the uplink captures or anything counted either all because I'm missing 2 headshots. It's just dumb.

Why are Killzone players such morons lol. I swear they never understood spawn beacons, which was a damn shame because that made the MP so competitive.

Why are Killzone players such morons lol. I swear they never understood spawn beacons, which was a damn shame because that made the MP so competitive.
Oh they understood them, as they sure enough used them when they were placed. The thing is, most players just didn't want the responsibility. And for that I can't blame them really. The more you know the map, the more you know the expected flow, and the more creative or uncreative you can be with your spawns, situation depending. I'm not sure if a bad tactician was better than no tactician at all. Probably, but barely ;p

I don't think its a matter of people not understanding, but rather of just not wanting to deal with that part of the gameplay.

EekTheKat

Yeah I'm done until they patch this. Lost an hour of progression again due to the game crashing for no good reason

I can deal with poor framerate in a game, but crashing and losing progress is a far, far worse thing to put your players through.

The crash clips are not even showing me doing anything weird - game is crashing just from running around playing the objectives.

Yeah I'm done until they patch this. Lost an hour of progression again due to the game crashing for no good reason

I can deal with poor framerate in a game, but crashing and losing progress is a far, far worse thing to put your players through.

The crash clips are not even showing me doing anything weird - game is crashing just from running around playing the objectives.
i was going to finally try the co-op when a 2gb patch started downloading. no idea what it's for, can't play online while it's downloading..

Oh they understood them, as they sure enough used them when they were placed. The thing is, most players just didn't want the responsibility. And for that I can't blame them really. The more you know the map, the more you know the expected flow, and the more creative or uncreative you can be with your spawns, situation depending. I'm not sure if a bad tactician was better than no tactician at all. Probably, but barely ;p

I don't think its a matter of people not understanding, but rather of just not wanting to deal with that part of the gameplay.

Exactly. I play a game to have fun, not to work like it's a job. It's a bad design.

madp0k

Played this for a couple of hours last night and really enjoyed it, different take on horde mode and gets intense at times. I like the wau sometimes you seem to be doing ok at 2.2k banked and then it starts getting on top and after the respawns your back down to 1.7k. We were lucky enough not to have any crashes and were able to play trouble free.

I think if this had been available at launch the game wouldn't have got so much bad press, shame because I didn't mind the SP and thought the mp was brilliant.

Grinchy

Banned
Supposedly, one of the causes for the crashes is that the last time you played multiplayer, you played as the insurgent class. I haven't actually tested this yet (I will later tonight) but I did go back and play a round of MP as Support to make sure it was the last class I played. Just throwing that out there for those of us getting crashes.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Supposedly, one of the causes for the crashes is that the last time you played multiplayer, you played as the insurgent class. I haven't actually tested this yet (I will later tonight) but I did go back and play a round of MP as Support to make sure it was the last class I played. Just throwing that out there for those of us getting crashes.

That might explain why I haven't had a crash yet.

SirCrush

Having SUCH a blast with this but I do have a couple qualms...

The menus aren't very easy to read and don't have very good information in them. I wanna be able to track my unlocks better. Having to navigate to a certain menu that appears at a certain time after/before a match to find the info I want is just irritating. Why can't I hit "Options" at any time and track my lifetime stats or progress toward unlocks instead of having to find it tucked away in a specific place and time?

Also...after you get the hang of things, it's just too easy. Still fun...but easy. Don't get me wrong, if I take an assault into the fray of the wrong wave at the wrong time, I'll still die from time to time...but there's no real challenge there aside from getting the "Best..." or "Most..." awards in lieu of the Tactician (dat Engineer!). I'd like to be challenged more. Make me have to WORK for a win instead of just doing repeated "Time Attacks:"

Having so much fun with this mode. Hopefully they patch it up or expand it a bit in the future. It'll get stale in a hurry without "more" being added to it. Difficulty modes please!

Grinchy

Banned
The crashes seem to be fixed now (the insurgent bug). I played a ton of this mode tonight. It's really quite awesome when you have a good team, but I'm agreeing with some others in the thread that it's too easy. It's too hard when your teammates suck and it's too easy when everyone is good.

I'm killing it as a Tactician, though. I know pretty good turret spots for each map now and I seem to always be the one grabbing petrusite, so I can control our bonus abilities properly every time. And as a result we steamroll the CPU.

I also agree that the staple of the Killzone franchise is here once again: terrible menus. You can't see what challenges you need to do to unlock anything unless you are not in a match. When you're waiting for someone to join, you can't check your unlocks. When you're done with a match, you can't check your unlocks. Nope, you have to completely leave the lobby and stop playing to see what you need to do next. And when you do, it doesn't even show the number of kills/headshots/captures you need. It only gives you the vague bar.

mollipen

Was never really into Killzone, but having fun with this. However, as someone who prefers to play Medic, oh my god some people need to learn to let me try to do my job. Last game I played, two of the players would resurrect themselves like two seconds after death.

Also, I paid for a female voice pack—could I please have a female skin? My biggest complaint about Intercept is that it feels bare-bones in a number of ways. No real character customization, no way to search for games depending on what class you want to play, no options I could find for changing the game type of a Warzone I set up, etc.

I started a solo session on market just to get 5 melee kills for a challenge. Well holy shit. An hour and twelve minutes later and I just completed the standard 3000 point match. I racked up 582 kills thanks to those amazing turrets which kept saving my ass long after I ran outta ammo and inbetween the bonus activations. I feel good right now and yes I got my 5 melees.

Grinchy

Banned
Played a ton of this today. It really is an awesome mode. I do hope they give us difficulty options in the future, but I also haven't tried one of the long matches. Maybe it gets insanely hard to get up to 10,000 points.

My only complaint is the difficulty of leveling up Tactician. I get first place easily every single time. Most kills, most banked points, most assists every time. Yet I haven't even opened up Tier 2. This is because running around with only the Ripper is ineffective. I have to forgo the jetpack guns and miniguns. I have to compete with my own turrets for kills (the turrets always win).

Here I am pew pew pewing with a little pistol while everything and everyone around me is blasting away. I'm at like 17/30 headshots and 80/200 kills with it. Yet I have like 2,000+ turret kills. I played Marksman earlier and leveling up the tiers is so easy in comparison.

Grinchy

Banned
Anyone else play Tactician? I unlocked Tier 3 earlier and the Judaz is so fucking bad for this mode. I think it's going to be the reason I stop playing the class.

SirCrush

...you have to completely leave the lobby and stop playing to see what you need to do next. And when you do, it doesn't even show the number of kills/headshots/captures you need. It only gives you the vague bar.

You have to go to the Weapons in Co-op Career to see your progress. Yeah...horrid. :p

Anyone else play Tactician? I unlocked Tier 3 earlier and the Judaz is so fucking bad for this mode. I think it's going to be the reason I stop playing the class.

It's GOTTA be better than the pea shooter that you start with.

Working on my unlocks...up to 20/30 headshots and only 53 Pea Shooter kills. I don't care. That gun will forever be called a pea shooter. 3rd mention. :p

I am finding it much easier to progress with EVERY class outside of Tactician. That weapon combined with his abilities make it an exercise in futility. For awhile, I'd wondered how I was gonna get the headshots I need. Now, I just make sure to grab a Mini Gun or Jetpack as a bonus. Much easier to land one between the eyes that way :D

I suppose farming kills is going to be necessary...plant a shield and don't plant any turrets is gonna be the best bet to rack up pea shooter kills. Unfortunately that's nearly impossible when playing with a good Marksman or Assault.

Grinchy

Banned
It's GOTTA be better than the pea shooter that you start with.

Working on my unlocks...up to 20/30 headshots and only 53 Pea Shooter kills. I don't care. That gun will forever be called a pea shooter. 3rd mention. :p

I didn't love being stuck with the Ripper at first, but I started to appreciate it after many hours of playing. Just wait until you get to the Judaz. With the Ripper, you can actually take out enemies at medium range. You can also take out enemies at close range if you switch to burst mode. It got to the point where I was able to get 30ish Ripper kills per game.

With the Judaz, anything other than close range is just a waste of ammo and reloading time. And being close range with the crappy Tactician health is just asking for death. It feels like a completely pointless weapon to have. Once I get enough kills with it, I'm just going back to the Ripper for everything else.

And I totally agree with the Tactician having the worst level up progression. Everything else I've tried has been easy as hell in comparison.

Z3M0G

Played a few rounds of this so far and it is great! Definitely breathes new life into the game for me... re-validates my day-1 purchase. I'll be playing the co-op for some time to come.

How do you earn permanent upgrades?

Played a few games yesterday. This is a fantastic take on the survival mode. I had a few normal games and then a long one. It can pretty intense. Only had one guy that joined the game as a medic, died and then wouldn't respawn even though we could hear him talk. We eventually kicked him out. Most other people played well and knew what to do. Really fun.

Shame this couldn't make it for launch, but better late than never. I like what they did with the mode.

No crashes for me yet, fortunately.

I'm on the fence with this, enjoyed some of the campaign well enough one time through, kind of soured on the MP with the blurriness, lag and paid 4th class. Is this really worth 10 dollars?

Thanks, how do you level up your class?
Should be listed uinder class challenges in co-op career. You can't access any of the challenges or your progress while playing a match, or even between matches, which sucks.

The class challenges are pretty basic, bank X total points as the class, use your special abilities X times, use your grenade, stabbinate five enemies, stuff like that. I've only gotten to tier 1 in two classes, so I have to play more myself to see how those challenges develop.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
Finally figured out the unlock system. In a nutshell:

1. Complete all 12 base challenges
  2. Complete all 12 base challenges again + get 1000 banked points total = First unlock
  3. Repeat 2 for each additional gun unlock, upping the total banked points required
Definitely an obtuse and poorly explained system, but at least it works. Going to take FOREVER to unlock everything.

FrankCaron

Gold Member
I'm on the fence with this, enjoyed some of the campaign well enough one time through, kind of soured on the MP with the blurriness, lag and paid 4th class. Is this really worth 10 dollars?
I'd say yes. It makes the rest of the game mostly irrelevant—it's that much better than the SP and even the MP. If you still have the game, the $10 is a nominal spend to make it worth keeping.

I'm kind of kicking myself; I mostly bought the game for this mode, and with the game + Season's Pass I paid $50. If I could do it over again, I'd have waited for the standalone and bought it for $20.

Grinchy

Banned
I fucking love Marksman now. I was really into Tactician for a while, but that class is terrible to level up. I can do in 3 games for Marksman what took me 15 games as a Tactician.

I'm even sometimes out-killing and out-banking the Tacticians I play with when I'm doing Marksman. Such a fun class.

SirCrush

I fucking love Marksman now. I was really into Tactician for a while, but that class is terrible to level up. I can do in 3 games for Marksman what took me 15 games as a Tactician.

I'm even sometimes out-killing and out-banking the Tacticians I play with when I'm doing Marksman. Such a fun class.

Yeah Grinchy, I was initially turned off by the class' title "Marksmen" as I hate having to snipe. Fortunately, that damn secondary gun makes it fun as hell and ranks a Marksman right up there with Tactician and Assault as far as kill count goes. Hell, the primary weapon is also a blast to use since the waves are so damn big. Playing headhunter...oh so satisfying! Also, the challenges are quite easy with all classes BUT Tactician, I agree. The kill challenges anyways.

They really need to fix the Medic class, though. They are an extremely useful yet underserved role. It's not easy to get a good score with them. Heals, Resupplies, and Revives should have more point rewards if you ask me. Those points are what validates your journey through each game and with a Medic I've only been able to score well with two players who were obviously new to the mode and with me actually playing like a poor man's Assault.

Rank 2 with all classes, almost 3 with Marksman. I hardly use Assault. That one was a joke to level up lol

Grinchy

Banned
^Nice. I'm Tier 2 with Tactician (took forever) and Tier 2 with Marksman now. I've played Assault once and never tried Medic. I will though. I like good medics a lot. I don't think I care much for Assault.

Grinchy

Banned
New patch is up. It says it has some coop optimizations.

10454127_1473491526231076_3804407599710885019_o.jpg

Top Bottom