• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

zedge

Yeah, figuring out where to go without a marker is just sooooo difficult. These type of posts prove my point.

Cmon man.. I normally don't need this stuff but in this game the levels are such a mess its never really clear where you are suppose to go.

Yeah, figuring out where to go without a marker is just sooooo difficult. These type of posts prove my point.
When the game's objectives are so unclear that you're forced to rely upon that objective indicator so much that's a problem with the game, not the players.

Would love to know how many times you needed to use that marker in your first playthrough.

This doesnt excuse the people who just didn't pay attention to the voice work or story and got lost however. Even if you were on top of all of that the level designs and objectives could be very counter-intuitive.

I found the setup to this game so funny that I actually told my non-gamer friends about it as we watched football. They thought I was shitting them.

-Destroy enemy planet
-Feel bad
-Give enemy half your planet and forcibly remove all of your citizens from that area
-Immediately wage war on that half of your planet as the enemy kills some of your citizens

Amazing stuff. What also blew my mind was the 'weapon' going from some kind of racist biological weapon to
some massive spire controlled by an old dude in a bed.
I've had fever dreams that made more sense than this. Not only that, but key dialogue was often drowned out by other audio so I wasn't sure who a bunch of the characters really were. I also missed a bunch of objectives due to this issue, and reading the thread it's clear that this happened to a bunch of people. People are missing story beats all over the place.

When that one boss comes out at you and is all like
'you've been taking the credit for killing me'
I had absolutely no idea who he was or what he was talking about. The fact that some people are describing one of the worst stories in a game this decade so far as 'serviceable' just shows what some teams can get away with due to launch hype.

The Vektans didn't give them their city willingly, they were forced to by Earth, which is big brother watching over the colonies. Earth forced a truce after what happened to Helghan.

The game really needed to make the whole thing clearer or give some better reasoning behind it though.

Also your complaining about story stuff that was related to previous killzone games. They probably shouldn't have done it, but to understand a lot of the game requires you to have played the previous games. GG said the game would be understandable to those who didn't play previous titles, which was a lie.

The Vektans didn't give them their city willingly, they were forced to by Earth, which is big brother watching over the colonies. Earth forced a truce after what happened to Helghan.
I missed this part. Was it referenced in-game?

I don't have all the collectibles but don't remember anything about Earth's role in the ones I have.

When the game's objectives are so unclear that you're forced to rely upon that objective indicator so much that's a problem with the game, not the players.
But then it would be a corridor shooter.

Imho objectives were clear. And where to go. Now gerting there was for us to find out. But that was a good point imo.

I finished single player a few days ago and thought I'd post a write up of my own thoughts on the game.

I'll start by saying I was a fan of Killzone 2 & 3. Never regarding them as top-tier but they were fun and had great weapons, set pieces and a stunning artsyle. I was hyped for ShadowFall more than any other game at launch and didn't want to believe the negative feedback it was gaining from people on here and in the press.

After finishing the campaign my overall sentiment is that (much like KZ3) the game feels rushed and as if it required stronger direction, especially in terms of cutscenes and transitions. Much like Killzone 3 the game seemed to just jump around and this was really jarring at times. A simple cutscene showing the journey to the next stage would have really helped this game.

The story was a mess. It felt strong in places and was actually quite exciting between chapter 4 all the way up to chapter 7 but then it just fizzled out. The ending was terrible. Without spoiling anything I'll just mention that it seemed completely anticlimactic and way to sudden. The end credits were enjoyable though, a nice little homage to that glorious KZ2 trailer.
I liked the character of Echo, but the other characters were stereotypical and boring.

Soundtrack was the best aspect of the game. It was one of the finest soundtracks to an FPS I have ever heard. It had moments where it channelled Vangelis. The choice of two composers was very wise as it really helped build a different atmosphere on the Vektan and Helgan sides of the city.
Audio for the game was generally very good. Some bad acting but most of the performances were pretty decent. The guns all sounded powerful and punchy. Audio Logs were brilliant, some of them evoked chills and were quite disturbing. Good use of the DS4 speaker.

Graphics were spectacular. The lighting was very impressive, as were fire effects, textures, geometry. Character models looked amazing but the facial animation wasn't always there, certainly a step down from BF4. The gun designs and detail was as usual with this franchise top notch.

Gameplay wise -

- Gunplay was fantastic. So satisfying. I loved the shooting.
- There wasn't enough shooting though.
- Too much variety in the gameplay. This may sound like an odd thing to say but the game tried to do things like anti-gravity, free fall, stealth, puzzle solving - none of this was handled well and made the game feel frustrating and boring in places.
- Chapter 8 I never want to play again.
- The boss fight on chapter 9 was the most frustrating piece of trash. Again I never wish to play that again.
- Decent length campaign 8-10 hrs.
- Difficulty spikes on normal (especially chapter 8/9) were frustrating
- Bad checkpoint system

Overall the game was fun , exciting in others, evoked horror vibes in places too. It was also frustrating, unpolished and at times ill judged. I'm not sure I would replay the campaign again anytime soon and I played through the Killzone 2 & 3 several times over.

A chapter breakdown (quality wise)

Chapter 1 - A strange way to begin the game. It was a good idea on paper I'm sure and is pretty much the same concept for an opening chapter as
The Last of Us
. But boring to play and just poorly executed in general.

Chapter 2 - This was a bit jarring as there wasn't much tutorial. A bit trial and error in the beginning but a good chapter overall. There were many ways to tackle the map. Plenty of options for tackling different situations and the ending was epic!

Chapter 3 - I enjoyed the horror aspect of this chapter and the ending was exciting and had some cool tactical options. The anti-gravity and puzzle solving (although basic) really ruined it.

Chapter 4 - One of the best chapters I felt. Lots of gunplay, set pieces, a well handled stealth section. Exciting and well paced.

Chapter 5 - A sprawling, atmospheric, lengthy chapter. Again I really liked this.
The first look at the Helgan side of the wall since the evacuation. It showed how they lived and how prisoners were treated
. Lots of exploration too.

Chapter 6 - This was a decent chapter.
Echo was bad ass
. The ending felt really satisfying and epic. There were some dodgy stealth sections and controlling robots was lame.

Chapter 7 - I quite enjoyed parts of this chapter. It had some great gun fights and a really awesome last stand moment. It also had anti-gravity again and a terrible section where you had to
protect a vessel against exploding robots
- so frustrating.

Chapter 8 - Hate this chapter - never again! Free fall section was awful. Stealth and robot sections were super frustrating. Anti-gravity again! On the plus side; Visually impressive. Amazing soundtrack to this stage. Audio logs evoked pure horror.

Chapter 9 - Good in places. Visually has one of the games most spectacular moments. But more crappy stealth and robots. A super hard and unforgiving, poorly conceived boss battle. A really frustrating final gun fight too.

Chapter 10 -
Stealth chapter.
Nice idea, reminded me of Goldeneye. Poor execution. Terrible way to end the game.

Overall I'd score the game a 6/10.

Multiplayer didn't really grab me and I'll be going with BF4 for my online FPS fix (when they finally iron out the last issues).

After playing for a bit (2 chapters), I don't find the game very very fun. The gunplay isn't very satisfying with Vektan guns. Hellgast guns however, are oh so satisfying, the feedback feel so good.

I like how it is not a corridor FPS though, that's a good effort from Guerilla Games.

But then it would be a corridor shooter.
Way too black and white a conclusion, and the last thing I want is a corridor shooter.

It has everything to do with how levels are arranged and lit and what stands prominent and what stands in the background. Its also not enough to say one line over audio and expect the audience to have understood it and worked through its implications. It needs to be followed up, not be repetition but by elaboration by way of further cues in the environment and in dialogue.

That all sounds abstract but its conventions of game design we're used to dealing with, even if some of the time it's only subsconscious.

GG has made these tremendous levels as graphical showpieces but didn't do the extra work needed to make those levels (and accompanying audio) clearly communicate their gameplay intent.

Melchiah

I finished single player a few days ago and thought I'd post a write up of my own thoughts on the game.

I'll start by saying I was a fan of Killzone 2 & 3. Never regarding them as top-tier but they were fun and had great weapons, set pieces and a stunning artsyle. I was hyped for ShadowFall more than any other game at launch and didn't want to believe the negative feedback it was gaining from people on here and in the press.

After finishing the campaign my overall sentiment is that (much like KZ3) the game feels rushed and as if it required stronger direction, especially in terms of cutscenes and transitions. Much like Killzone 3 the game seemed to just jump around and this was really jarring at times. A simple cutscene showing the journey to the next stage would have really helped this game.

The story was a mess. It felt strong in places and was actually quite exciting between chapter 4 all the way up to chapter 7 but then it just fizzled out. The ending was terrible. Without spoiling anything I'll just mention that it seemed completely anticlimactic and way to sudden. The end credits were enjoyable though, a nice little homage to that glorious KZ2 trailer.
I liked the character of Echo, but the other characters were stereotypical and boring.

Soundtrack was the best aspect of the game. It was one of the finest soundtracks to an FPS I have ever heard. It had moments where it channelled Vangelis. The choice of two composers was very wise as it really helped build a different atmosphere on the Vektan and Helgan sides of the city.
Audio for the game was generally very good. Some bad acting but most of the performances were pretty decent. The guns all sounded powerful and punchy. Audio Logs were brilliant, some of them evoked chills and were quite disturbing. Good use of the DS4 speaker.

Graphics were spectacular. The lighting was very impressive, as were fire effects, textures, geometry. Character models looked amazing but the facial animation wasn't always there, certainly a step down from BF4. The gun designs and detail was as usual with this franchise top notch.

Gameplay wise -

- Gunplay was fantastic. So satisfying. I loved the shooting.
- There wasn't enough shooting though.
- Too much variety in the gameplay. This may sound like an odd thing to say but the game tried to do things like anti-gravity, free fall, stealth, puzzle solving - none of this was handled well and made the game feel frustrating and boring in places.
- Chapter 8 I never want to play again.
- The boss fight on chapter 9 was the most frustrating piece of trash. Again I never wish to play that again.
- Decent length campaign 8-10 hrs.
- Difficulty spikes on normal (especially chapter 8/9) were frustrating
- Bad checkpoint system

Overall the game was fun , exciting in others, evoked horror vibes in places too. It was also frustrating, unpolished and at times ill judged. I'm not sure I would replay the campaign again anytime soon and I played through the Killzone 2 & 3 several times over.

A chapter breakdown (quality wise)

Chapter 1 - A strange way to begin the game. It was a good idea on paper I'm sure and is pretty much the same concept for an opening chapter as
The Last of Us
. But boring to play and just poorly executed in general.

Chapter 2 - This was a bit jarring as there wasn't much tutorial. A bit trial and error in the beginning but a good chapter overall. There were many ways to tackle the map. Plenty of options for tackling different situations and the ending was epic!

Chapter 3 - I enjoyed the horror aspect of this chapter and the ending was exciting and had some cool tactical options. The anti-gravity and puzzle solving (although basic) really ruined it.

Chapter 4 - One of the best chapters I felt. Lots of gunplay, set pieces, a well handled stealth section. Exciting and well paced.

Chapter 5 - A sprawling, atmospheric, lengthy chapter. Again I really liked this.
The first look at the Helgan side of the wall since the evacuation. It showed how they lived and how prisoners were treated
. Lots of exploration too.

Chapter 6 - This was a decent chapter.
Echo was bad ass
. The ending felt really satisfying and epic. There were some dodgy stealth sections and controlling robots was lame.

Chapter 7 - I quite enjoyed parts of this chapter. It had some great gun fights and a really awesome last stand moment. It also had anti-gravity again and a terrible section where you had to
protect a vessel against exploding robots
- so frustrating.

Chapter 8 - Hate this chapter - never again! Free fall section was awful. Stealth and robot sections were super frustrating. Anti-gravity again! On the plus side; Visually impressive. Amazing soundtrack to this stage. Audio logs evoked pure horror.

Chapter 9 - Good in places. Visually has one of the games most spectacular moments. But more crappy stealth and robots. A super hard and unforgiving, poorly conceived boss battle. A really frustrating final gun fight too.

Chapter 10 -
Stealth chapter.
Nice idea, reminded me of Goldeneye. Poor execution. Terrible way to end the game.

Overall I'd score the game a 6/10.

Multiplayer didn't really grab me and I'll be going with BF4 for my online FPS fix (when they finally iron out the last issues).

Good write-up. I agree with many of the points, especially with those about the chapter 9, the welcomed horror aspects, and there being too much variety in gameplay.

I'm actually thinking about replaying the chapters 2, 3 and 5 on easy.

TyrantII

I found the setup to this game so funny that I actually told my non-gamer friends about it as we watched football. They thought I was shitting them.

-Destroy enemy planet
-Feel bad
-Give enemy half your planet and forcibly remove all of your citizens from that area
-Immediately wage war on that half of your planet as the enemy kills some of your citizens

Could have been better handled, but it would have been 100% exposition and not really tieinto the FPS/gameplay itself. IE "a waste of time" that they would have gotten hammered for regardless. I love that sort of deep back story myself in games... but dude, FPS bro! Let's be serious about just how deep they can go in this medium. Especially not being a heavy hitter like Valve that can do whatever the frak it wants, commercial success of failure.

CSB/Backstory: In this universe Earth is still around, and the center of the United Colonial Nations (UCN). Long story short that they did not feel the need to get into; the UCN probably got fed up with Vetka/Helghan second war and with being dragged into them, so set this premise up.

Backstory wise Vetka was also somewhat in ruins from the Helghan invasion of Vetka in KZ1. KZ2 is the counter attack on Helghan by ISA. KZ3 is the evacuation of the ISA forces on Helghan and the Terricide incident caused by the actions of both factions.

KZSF picks up years later where it seems the extra-solar nations decided to make what was left of Vetka into a new Berlin / cold war planet. They really don't get into the politics, but it's pretty obvious that both sides were less than pleased with the Helghans "returning home" to Vetka.

Anyways, some of the plot points of KZSF seem to be a tad lost on you. The entire story almost beat you over the head with the fact that the militarizes of both factions were still keeping a uneasy peace. The ISA Spec Ops that the player was, and a insurrectionist movement based out of post terricide Helghan were the factions trying to break the peace. The militarizes and political bodies of both nations were seen, but never involved directly.

Way too black and white a conclusion, and the last thing I want is a corridor shooter.

It has everything to do with how levels are arranged and lit and what stands prominent and what stands in the background. Its also not enough to say one line over audio and expect the audience to have understood it and worked through its implications. It needs to be followed up, not be repetition but by elaboration by way of further cues in the environment and in dialogue.

That all sounds abstract but its conventions of game design we're used to dealing with, even if some of the time it's only subsconscious.

GG has made these tremendous levels as graphical showpieces but didn't do the extra work needed to make those levels (and accompanying audio) clearly communicate their gameplay intent.
It's just an open area... If you were dropped there yourself you wouldn't see glowing arrows either. I thought that was fine. Refreshing from a lot of other games even. And i seriously thought a big part of GAF was screaming for this for years.
I seriously get the feeling we have been pampered the last few years. I don't like to get stuck either, but i only had to press up on the d-pad and i knew where i needed to be. And yes, sometimes i was confused how to get there, so i walked in a direction where i guessed i should go. If that turned out to be the wrong direction, i took another path. It's not like in Zelda WW where you sometimes need to backtrack-cross an entire ocean because you went to the wrong side of the map. It was just few seconds before you were back on track in KS.

Sorry, i'd be all over this if i really thought it was a problem, but i quickly discovered i disagreed with these sentiments. I'm even surprised the group of people with the same sentiments is so large.

I do think the game could have been better, don't get me wrong. But i guess they had to be ready for launch.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I agree. I've rarely seen such contempt for a game. I just don't get it. You'd think it was buggy and broken the way some on Gaf complain about it. It looks great, plays fine, has a serviceable story, and a fun multiplayer. No one has yet expressed a negative view I can wrap my head around except that the story cuts are very abrupt and jarring.

I literally have put 25 hours into the single player through multiple playthroughs and almost 10 into multiplayer. I still don't see how this game could "offend" anyone in either it's single or multiplayer.

The difficulty complaints are what confuse me the most. It was the easiest KZ for me by a good margin.

The difficulty complaints are what confuse me the most. It was the easiest KZ for me by a good margin.
Yeah, difficulty wise this is nothing, especially post-patch. My hard playthrough has been a cake-walk, even in the scenarios I thought would be cheap. But I also experimented a hell of a lot more.

My biggest disappointment at the moment is the lack of zip-line opportunities. Through exploring these missions in replays I've found alternate ways to play them out - scratch that - I *thought* I had found alternate ways to play through some of them with a stealth focus *if* my zipline would let me go to what seem like absolutely obvious made-for-a-fucking-zipline locations. Its like they purposefully nerfed its use.

Two examples:

In the forest,
you can enter the comms station from below which makes it a nice juicy target to start with as you can disable all the security on the map from that one command panel. So there's a walkway over the water that lets you enter the facility from the side quietly. You can easily spot this from the center area and while it looks like you could zipline to it you absolutely cannot. And if you zip to the closest spot to it you'll just glitch out and fall in the water and die. So you have to aim more towards the front of the facility, where the guards are. You can still do it stealth but its a headscratcher that the zipline can't take you directly to the side walkway.

And on Helghan, when closing in on Tyran you have to tackle the final Sensor robot thing. The big whatsits with the dual generators you have to take down. In this case its a facility on the side of a crater, with boulders and the like rising up from the glowy depths below.

What's nifty here is that there is a two story building just before the main facility with a few guards and some weaponry and a panel to shut down the security systems in the area. You can use the sniper rifle to clear the patrolling guards or zipline right to the second floor and make things a little more personal. Either way you end up with a nice position to take in the objectives before any alarms have been raised.

You need to get out to the two jutting walkways with the automated gun batteries. Underneath them are the targets you need to C4.

Now it just so happens that these C4 targets have exposed passageways and mini-balconies of their own. In fact, from the security building you should be able to zipline directly to one of those balconies but you can't. Not from anywhere. Why? No fucking reason. It just doesn't work even though it looks literally designed for it.

Once again, with some patience and effort you can stealth your way through, the game does seem to break a bit when that happens. These walkways are guarded by several shielded armadillo units and their personal guard, but if you blow the two targets without raising the alarm these units seem to just vanish. Don't know if they disintegrate or just bloop out of existence, but you can find their weapons on the floor where they were originally standing.

I do like this game quite a bit, but yeah, it needed more time.

CR0

Neo Member
Having not played the other games, I found the story confusing.

Am I the only person who was agreeing with the black general / father figure? We gave the Helghans half the planet and they still want to kill us?! They sound like some asshole aliens to me.
Aside from the half human / half Helghan girl, I don't recall running into any nice aliens the entire story.

Edit: To put in spoiler tags. Not much of a spoiler but just to be safe.

Satchel

Banned
?
I just got that trophy last night and had no problems. Maybe check another collectible guide? Or watch a Youtube video of where the collectibles are. They can be very easy to miss.

Ok I got it.

It actually WAS glitched and I figured out the "trick" to get it.

I had to restart that section "Hunt them down" on anew difficulty, and as soon as the bombs go off on the last train car, I need to rush over the opposite platform to grab the comic or it's not there.

It's almost like my game puts a timer on it.

Fix that shit GG. Ridiculous that that happened to me.

Other than that, I'm surprised I'm actually enjoying this game.

Having not played the other games, I found the story confusing.

Am I the only person who was agreeing with the black general / father figure? We gave the Helghans half the planet and they still want to kill us?! They sound like some asshole aliens to me.
Aside from the half human / half Helghan girl, I don't recall running into any nice aliens the entire story.

Edit: To put in spoiler tags. Not much of a spoiler but just to be safe.

I think you missed the
hallway of entirely miserable people.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah, difficulty wise this is nothing, especially post-patch. My hard playthrough has been a cake-walk, even in the scenarios I thought would be cheap. But I also experimented a hell of a lot more.

My biggest disappointment at the moment is the lack of zip-line opportunities. Through exploring these missions in replays I've found alternate ways to play them out - scratch that - I *thought* I had found alternate ways to play through some of them with a stealth focus *if* my zipline would let me go to what seem like absolutely obvious made-for-a-fucking-zipline locations. Its like they purposefully nerfed its use.

Two examples:

In the forest,
you can enter the comms station from below which makes it a nice juicy target to start with as you can disable all the security on the map from that one command panel. So there's a walkway over the water that lets you enter the facility from the side quietly. You can easily spot this from the center area and while it looks like you could zipline to it you absolutely cannot. And if you zip to the closest spot to it you'll just glitch out and fall in the water and die. So you have to aim more towards the front of the facility, where the guards are. You can still do it stealth but its a headscratcher that the zipline can't take you directly to the side walkway.

And on Helghan, when closing in on Tyran you have to tackle the final Sensor robot thing. The big whatsits with the dual generators you have to take down. In this case its a facility on the side of a crater, with boulders and the like rising up from the glowy depths below.

What's nifty here is that there is a two story building just before the main facility with a few guards and some weaponry and a panel to shut down the security systems in the area. You can use the sniper rifle to clear the patrolling guards or zipline right to the second floor and make things a little more personal. Either way you end up with a nice position to take in the objectives before any alarms have been raised.

You need to get out to the two jutting walkways with the automated gun batteries. Underneath them are the targets you need to C4.

Now it just so happens that these C4 targets have exposed passageways and mini-balconies of their own. In fact, from the security building you should be able to zipline directly to one of those balconies but you can't. Not from anywhere. Why? No fucking reason. It just doesn't work even though it looks literally designed for it.

Once again, with some patience and effort you can stealth your way through, the game does seem to break a bit when that happens. These walkways are guarded by several shielded armadillo units and their personal guard, but if you blow the two targets without raising the alarm these units seem to just vanish. Don't know if they disintegrate or just bloop out of existence, but you can find their weapons on the floor where they were originally standing.

I do like this game quite a bit, but yeah, it needed more time.

I definitely agree with this and I do think the game needed more time. Both KZSF and KZ3 show signs of rush while KZ2 was made on their own time and turned out excellently. I'm going to make a big post on where I think Killzone should go from here once I finish Mercenary (about 2/3 of the way through now). Thankfully this game is selling well and they have a new IP to get out in the next couple years so they can take their time on the next one.

Melchiah

agreed. the only section that pissed me off, was the infamous freefall section. aside from that, i never had issues.

The freefall section was easy as hell, cleared it with the first try. Whereas the final fights of chapters 6, 7 and 9 took me several tries, and the latter was impossible without changing to easy. Hated them all.

Newlove

The freefall section was easy as hell, cleared it with the first try. Whereas the final fights of chapters 6, 7 and 9 took me several tries, and the latter was impossible without changing to easy. Hated them all.

Same here. I just kept looking up pretty much, didn't have to do any real evasive maneuvers.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Same here. I just kept looking up pretty much, didn't have to do any real evasive maneuvers.

Did you guys play it before or after the patch? It's easy and actually kind of fun now but pre-patch was brutal.

Did you guys play it before or after the patch? It's easy and actually kind of fun now but pre-patch was brutal.
Had no problems with it post-patch. Night and day difference to the surprise horror of playing it on release day ;p

And for those hitting a wall of difficulty in game, three game changers:

* Use your adrenaline tactically. Once you pop it you have about 20 seconds of slow-time action when you're aiming down the sights. Use it like Max Payne and you'd be amazed at how many problems just vanish in a slow-mo haze of bullets.

* Having your drone attack an area, not a unit. Use it cover your flank or rear if you think enemies might come that way. Use it to attack one direction while you circle around to attack from the side or back, effectively dividing your enemy into more manageable chunks while also getting around their cover.

* The drone's stun ability works wonders on everybody. That thing will stun basic units, cause riot units to drop their shield, drain the shields of armadillo units and even stop walker mechs in their tracks. You cannot be affected by your drone's stun yourself, so blast away.

Those three things in the particular made my hard playthrough a lot easier and a lot more fun.

I'm going to make a big post on where I think Killzone should go from here once I finish Mercenary (about 2/3 of the way through now).
Will check it out.

Well said.

Griss

The game really needed to make the whole thing clearer or give some better reasoning behind it though.

Also your complaining about story stuff that was related to previous killzone games. They probably shouldn't have done it, but to understand a lot of the game requires you to have played the previous games. GG said the game would be understandable to those who didn't play previous titles, which was a lie.

Well, that's a serious issue as to the quality of the game. This was my first ever exposure to the Killzone universe. It was completely incomprehenisble, and therefore it will be my last.

A very clear recap of events should have been included if that is what was necessary for the plot to make sense. I don't know 'Sev and Rico', I didn't know Earth existed in this universe, I didn't know these had been feuding earth colonies. How was I supposed to know any of this?

Terrible performance. Shamefur dispray.

Maybe people expected KZ SF gameplay to be as good as its phenomenal graphics?

Killzone series was never best at anything. GG games were known for pushing the envelope of the system it was on. Killzone 2 looked amazing when I first saw it. It really looked like pre-rendered CG. The game played pretty good despite the sluggish control. However, Killzone 3 was easily forgettable. I will be going in to KZ SF not expecting much and just to be entertained.

Ricker

Finally made it through that onslaught at the end of chapter 9...but now I keep dying in the last chapter...what the hell am I suppose to do or go...you can hardly see the little orange circle through all the environnments and as soon as you are spotted,say bye bye,you have about 50 guards shooting at you...and I have to do this in 3 minutes ?, jesus christ,these last levels are awful.

TyrantII

I'll say Killzone 3 was the easiest, I beat it in one sitting in 6 hours.

Killzone 3 on elite was still pretty difficult, but not as bad as storming Visari palace and the resulting boss fight in KZ2.

KZSF was a cakewalk on Hard comparatively (to both prior).

TyrantII

Finally made it through that onslaught at the end of chapter 9...but now I keep dying in the last chapter...what the hell am I suppose to do or go...you can hardly see the little orange circle through all the environnments and as soon as you are spotted,say bye bye,you have about 50 guards shooting at you...and I have to do this in 3 minutes ?, jesus christ,these last levels are awful.

You do know there's a cloak where none of the enemies will see you, right?

Me reading this thread:

a8Wo46d_460sa.gif

Finally made it through that onslaught at the end of chapetr 9...but now I keep dying in the last chapter...what the hell am I suppose to do or go...you can hardly see the little orange circle through all the environnments and as soon as you are spotted,say bye bye,you have about 50 guards shooting at you...and I have to do this in 3 minutes ?, jesus christ,these last levels are awful.
I agree that it took me a couple of tries too. You have all the time you need to do the first two points (whatever two points out of three) in unlimited stealth (keep the most difficult point for last). Each of the two points will disable sucurity measures for the last point. Just keep your distance. On the third point you expect a third put-your-hand-to-activate-unit, only to find a
sniper rifle.
The guards are aware of you being there from that point and You Then have three minutes to get to the last (NEW) point.

I think chapter 8 was really great by the way.. And i enjoyed chapter 9 as well.

Seriously, i think Guerilla must be flabbergasted at some of the responses. Thinking they were catering the more hardcore players with less handholding and more open areas. I'm sure they are aware the game isn't perfect (they probably did what they could for launch).

Ricky_R

When the droids get there you should be able to use the turret. It can get loud and it's easy to miss when it is notified to you.

Hydrargyrus

Killzone 3 on elite was still pretty difficult, but not as bad as storming Visari palace and the resulting boss fight in KZ2.

I found KZSF (on hard) harder than KZ3.
KZ3 seemed to me pretty easy. KZSF is a cakewalk the most of the time, but
at the end of chapter 9
there is a huge difficult improvement... almost frustrating

I have the platinum trophy in KZ2 and KZ3, but I don't go to the platinum trophy in KZSF thanks to all these incredibly boring online trophies
Please GG, no more shitty online trophies.

Btw, none of all the KZ games have a really good story, but after beating it today, I'm pretty sure that the KZSF story is the worst.
How could GG waste such a phenomenal universe 4 times in a row??

Timu

Looks like we won't get another Killzone 2 in difficulty ever again I would think.

Desty

Banned

This video helped me. It looks like the easiest way is to do things out of order of the lettering of the objectives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ-dS6kE_80

So much for my hard campaign run and how easy it felt.

Finished it up, saw no trophy unlock and went back to chapter select to verify and its been on normal since chapter 5.

My mind is filled with fuck.

You do know there's a cloak where none of the enemies will see you, right?
So
there is just zero way to get that sniper rifle without alerting them? Seems like that one guard is just staring at the grate, and whether I take him out with nobody else immediately nearby the alert gets raised.

Finished it up, saw no trophy unlock and went back to chapter select to verify and its been on normal since chapter 5.

So
there is just zero way to get that sniper rifle without alerting them? Seems like that one guard is just staring at the grate, and whether I take him out with nobody else immediately nearby the alert gets raised.

Ha.

He averts his gaze to his back every now and then. You don't have to alert them (on normal at least).

Robot Pants

So

You turning the cameras off?
Cause I take the guard out and have never had anyone spot me afterward.

Griss

So

He looks right at the grate the entire time, but he can't see it open. It's hilarious. Just enter from one of the other directions and open the grate right in front of the narcoleptic motherfucker.

TyrantII

I found KZSF (on hard) harder than KZ3.
KZ3 seemed to me pretty easy. KZSF is a cakewalk the most of the time, but
at the end of chapter 9
there is a huge difficult improvement... almost frustrating

Use cover / hug the walls and it's incredibly easy. Also make use of the owl, and adrenalin packs, and spam the echo to know where to shoot before you need to.

I found when you use a well rounded approach with all the tools they provide, it really wasn't that bad even on hard. NOTHING like the last area of KZ2, and the final fight.

The AI being able to lose you, and being able to flank them really helps.

Do agree on the online grind. Really hate when developers pull this crap.

TyrantII

So

As long as you don't get within 7-8 feet of someone they can't see you. Actions like opening the grate don't alert them. There's even a trophy for no alerts, no kills.

There's many paths you can take within the time limit, but youtube search and some of the easiest pop up.

My path is
to hug the right wall, go through the bamboo underneath the central circle area, and use the duct to the first camera. Come out the bamboo outside nearest to the camera and pull yourself up the ledge to the middle area. Take a right, counter clockwise around the central circle area on the ground level, hop the low wall, and get the next camera. Immediately backtrack over the wall, then continue around counter clockwise and take the stairs to the upper level. Go right and use the path sort of near the stairs (not the one the guard is guarding) to the center area, grab the rifle, and backtrack. Go to the edge above where the first camera was Jump down all three levels from there and go to the sniper location.

Easy peasy.

Top Bottom