• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

viveks86

He looks right at the grate the entire time, but he can't see it open. It's hilarious. Just enter from one of the other directions and open the grate right in front of the narcoleptic motherfucker.

This. No need to take anyone out throughout the level

coldone

This. No need to take anyone out throughout the level

Problem is lack of consistency. Initially the game says play in any way you want, stealth, run and gun or how ever you like. Then in the latter levels, there is no choice it is 100% my way or die.

If you play exactly the way CG wanted, sure then the game is playable. Many times it is not very clear what the game is trying to be. It looks like the game was designed by 4 different designers and some one at the end stitched them all together.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Problem is lack of consistency. Initially the game says play in any way you want, stealth, run and gun or how ever you like. Then in the latter levels, there is no choice it is 100% my way or die.

If you play exactly the way CG wanted, sure then the game is playable. Many times it is not very clear what the game is trying to be. It looks like the game was designed by 4 different designers and some one at the end stitched them all together.
While I agree that options are more limited later on, there is still a huge number of ways to approach combat encounters. Exploring and finding some of the hidden weapon caches can lead to some very different outcomes.

Ricker

As long as you don't get within 7-8 feet of someone they can't see you. Actions like opening the grate don't alert them. There's even a trophy for no alerts, no kills.

There's many paths you can take within the time limit, but youtube search and some of the easiest pop up.

My path is
to hug the right wall, go through the bamboo underneath the central circle area, and use the duct to the first camera. Come out the bamboo outside nearest to the camera and pull yourself up the ledge to the middle area. Take a right, counter clockwise around the central circle area on the ground level, hop the low wall, and get the next camera. Immediately backtrack over the wall, then continue around counter clockwise and take the stairs to the upper level. Go right and use the path sort of near the stairs (not the one the guard is guarding) to the center area, grab the rifle, and backtrack. Go to the edge above where the first camera was Jump down all three levels from there and go to the sniper location.

Easy peasy.

You call that easy peasy lol,get out of here ;P...I just cant do it,fuck this awful level,just watched the ending on You Tube,I have no more time to waste on this game.

Ricker

You have endless cloak - the last chapter is a breeze

I dont have endless cloak,maybe my game is glitched or something but as soon as I walk a bit,cloaked,someone tells me the turrets or something will see me or something about engineers seeing through my cloak...when I reach the first switch that I scan,everyone sees me and I have 3 minutes to find the sniper or whatever and everyone is shooting at me...that is not endless cloak.

I dont have endless cloak,maybe my game is glitched or something but as soon as I walk a bit,cloaked,someone tells me the turrets or something will see me or something about engineers seeing through my cloak...when I reach the first switch that I scan,everyone sees me and I have 3 minutes to find the sniper or whatever and everyone is shooting at me...that is not endless cloak.
There is endless cloak, provided that you:

a. Haven't been spotted already.
b. Don't fire your weapon.
c. Don't walk into the vision grid of cameras.

Keep cloak engaged, stay as far away from people as possible and make your way from point to point. Use maintenance drones if you need to.

Once you've been spotted (or a body if you're being all stabby) everybody will be on alert and engineers will arrive on the scene and you then get the 3 minute timer.

TyrantII

Thats nonsense. The entire game, or hard, can be completed run and gun. IF you're good enough.

Even the last level has a Leroy Jenkins trophy.

The game gives you suggestions how to tackle the "stealth" areas. Bit those proficient in FPS can easily power their way through.

I've finished Chapter 2 yesterday after trying so many times and man that was a hard slog.
I almost gave up with the game having to repeat it over and over, since then the game has improved massively and just started Chapter 5.Thought Chapter 3 had a decent Dead Space style vibe to it
What was everyone's chapter highlights? Have I got better to come?

Quick question, I see people posting about changing the difficulty level [mid campaign], but I can't see anywhere where you can modify this except starting new campaign - am I missing a option somewhere?

Thanks

I've finished Chapter 2 yesterday after trying so many times and man that was a hard slog.
I almost gave up with the game having to repeat it over and over, since then the game has improved massively and just started Chapter 5.Thought Chapter 3 had a decent Dead Space style vibe to it
What was everyone's chapter highlights? Have I got better to come?

Quick question, I see people posting about changing the difficulty level [mid campaign], but I can't see anywhere where you can modify this except starting new campaign - am I missing a option somewhere?

Thanks

You can choose "Chapter Select" to replay any previously completed chapter on any difficulty.

EGOMON

I am in love with Killzone SF multiplayer its been long time since i enjoyed online multiplayer game i feel like if Sony gave the reviewers moe time to play the multiplayer it would have even better review score anyway that doesn't matter now.

I came to ask if there is a way to edit your loadout without joining online match?

CozMick

Banned
Well, that's a serious issue as to the quality of the game. This was my first ever exposure to the Killzone universe. It was completely incomprehenisble, and therefore it will be my last.

A very clear recap of events should have been included if that is what was necessary for the plot to make sense. I don't know 'Sev and Rico', I didn't know Earth existed in this universe, I didn't know these had been feuding earth colonies. How was I supposed to know any of this?

Terrible performance. Shamefur dispray.

So Guerilla Games should cater for players that had zero interest in the franchise before Shadowfall?

Not sure a recap would fill the gap tbh, the KZ universe is bloody huge.

I am in love with Killzone SF multiplayer its been long time since i enjoyed online multiplayer game i feel like if Sony gave the reviewers moe time to play the multiplayer it would have even better review score anyway that doesn't matter now.

I came to ask if there is a way to edit your loadout without joining online match?

Go to "My Career" on the multiplayer main menu and you can edit load outs, view challenges, and change your player card icon there.

The game really not being very good combined with the above kills it stone dead imo. It's completely impossible to get even remotely invested in a story when it is based on a premise as utterly dumb as that.

Wasn't the premise that an interstellar UN type body forced the Vektans to allow the Helghast to live beside them as a punishment for what they'd done to Helghan? The game seemed to take inspiration from the cold war splitting East and West Germany, plus the whole Israel/Palestine set-up. I also thought the Helghan military had been building up over time like Germany between WW1 and WW2 after being demilitarized. So I didn't really find it that odd a premise.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Can anyone explain to me how to avoid this bug from happening? It's from Chapter 7 'The Handler' when you're out in space protecting a container. Near the end, the forcefield doesn't go down, the container just slides through the door and the airlock refuses to open.

Here's a video I took of the entire section for reference. I've restarted the entire mission twice but it keeps happening regardless of what I'm doing.

http://youtu.be/ZJOz1jcLC3M

Can anyone explain to me how to avoid this bug from happening? It's from Chapter 7 'The Handler' when you're out in space protecting a container. Near the end, the forcefield doesn't go down, the container just slides through the door and the airlock refuses to open.

Here's a video I took of the entire section for reference. I've restarted the entire mission twice but it keeps happening regardless of what I'm doing.

http://youtu.be/ZJOz1jcLC3M

Wtf!??? No idea. Maybe stay behind the container?
That's a weiiird bug

krioto

Just started my hard play through now - using a lot more of the OWL stun ability and adrenaline packs. Man, the forest level on hard is awesome.

Just got to the part where Echo
finally kills Masar

…this game… this fucking game!

I mean, it's not perfect (well visually it is aside from lip sync issues), but I adore how much they went against the grain as far as the game's mechanics/level design goes.

Probably my favorite Killzone behind KZ2…. yes, I think the campaign at least is better than Mercenary. MP? No way in hell.

Only thing they needed to do is push the narrative and writing further. There's so many moments where there should be just more world building. More TVs, more intercom dialogs, more audio logs, more documents, etc.
It's like GG got scared and reeled it back because someone told 'em they needed to make sure this was a shooter first and fore most.
That being said, I'm hyped as hell about what their IP is gonna be. Supposedly an RPG right?

Also, WHY HAVEN'T WE EVER GOTTEN A SERIES ARTBOOK!?

EDIT: OMG, forgot to mention how fantastic the music is in this. Some parts Blade Runner, some parts cyberpunk. It's fantastic and really sets the mood in spots.

See I really like the openness of the game which many are finding confusing. Goes to show how folks have gotten used to linear one direction fps shooters. I really love the parts of the game that are open and have multiple paths to go. The space ship section people keep mentioning, I loved that, and it had a bunch of extra stuff you could find be exploring the ship. Some parts of the game are also a bit more platform/puzzle in nature where you have multiple ways to go and get to your destination.

I can see people finding this boring when they are used to the constant go go go shoot shoot of modern military shooters. But I find it really refreshing here.

YES!

flying dutchman

Neo Member
I have a PS4 and its the first PS i have owned, so i never played the killzone series before. Having played Halo, MOH, Crysis and CODs i will say that Killzone is more difficult to play through than most other fps i have played. Hit a couple of spots where i got killed a numner of times before i got through it.
Went around to a workmates house whos a PC elitist and I took my PS 4 to try and compare. He has a 7970 and a i7 2600k and 16 gb ram in his pc if i recall correctly and he has alot of nice games. I put on Killzone and AC and he showed me Bioshock inf, Crysis 3 and BF4 and seriously to the eye looking at the screen you cannot pick out any of those that look ahead of KZ. He was a little bummed that there wasnt a gap but he did go on about frame rates and that when he gets his new 1440p monitor to come around again and compare.
I have found myself playing more COD ghosts than KZ but KZ looks a 1000 times better and I will get used to it soon enough.

krioto

See I really like the openness of the game which many are finding confusing. Goes to show how folks have gotten used to linear one direction fps shooters. I really love the parts of the game that are open and have multiple paths to go. The space ship section people keep mentioning, I loved that, and it had a bunch of extra stuff you could find be exploring the ship. Some parts of the game are also a bit more platform/puzzle in nature where you have multiple ways to go and get to your destination.

I can see people finding this boring when they are used to the constant go go go shoot shoot of modern military shooters. But I find it really refreshing here.

I know this has been quoted already, but it succinctly covers my thoughts on the game as well.

wizzbang

Banned
Have I found a bug here,.........

I've found "Zeus's personal computer" and Zeus left a voice / audio log. It's in the mission where you
"defect" to the Helgan side
maybe the 5'th mission, could be 4'th?

Anyhow - no fucking audio log plays, I see nothing in my inventory for the audio log. Only thing I can think of is I'm wearing headphones into the PS4 remote? Maybe it's a bug and it was hard coded to play out of the little controller speaker? (except other audio logs for the speaker work?)
Am I doing something wrong? I'm going to do this mission a third fucking time without headphones this time to see if I can get access to this log.

No Love

Banned
One month since PS4 came out and I'm still playing this. The multiplayer is probably the best I've played all year. So, so satisfying.

Pathetic that reviews completely glossed over the kick-ass multi.

CR0

Neo Member
One month since PS4 came out and I'm still playing this. The multiplayer is probably the best I've played all year. So, so satisfying.

Pathetic that reviews completely glossed over the kick-ass multi.

I really like the multiplayer. It's definitely not trying to be COD or BF, but it can be a lot of fun. Variety is good.

I've just finished the single-player and... Not that impressed. The game is awesome in the first hour, but it gets slower and slower over time. By the end its just a "shoot everything over and over" game and that really sucks.

Seems like a rushed game, it was missing some sound editing (some scenes are completely without any sound effect at all), the level design was great at the beginning but got boring/lazy/confused over time, the story could've been really great but the narrative was thin as crazy (the relationship between you and your father was a joke, you can't get emotional for a boy losing his father without knowing nothing about them), some cutscenes are absurdly long and unnecessary, the dialogues seems out of pace (takes 5s to each character to start saying his line) and so the list goes on and on...

I don't judge the developer 'cause i can't even imagine the rush that those guys were in the production. I think that the possible new ip have a lot of potential.

My score is 6/10 for the singleplayer and 8,5/10 for the multiplayer.

The graphics are amazing at times (most of them, sometimes they're really bad). Even the multiplayer graphics impressed me.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Finished the game finally (UK launch console). Normal was tough. I enjoyed the game but some of the design was indeed rough.
The later levels were not as good as the early ones. Ending was awful. Visuals were overall good, impressive for a lunch title.

wizzbang

Banned
Have I found a bug here,.........

I've found "Zeus's personal computer" and Zeus left a voice / audio log. It's in the mission where you
"defect" to the Helgan side
maybe the 5'th mission, could be 4'th?

Anyhow - no fucking audio log plays, I see nothing in my inventory for the audio log. Only thing I can think of is I'm wearing headphones into the PS4 remote? Maybe it's a bug and it was hard coded to play out of the little controller speaker? (except other audio logs for the speaker work?)
Am I doing something wrong? I'm going to do this mission a third fucking time without headphones this time to see if I can get access to this log.

3 times now, without headphones, still no audio message from zeus, even ran back through the vent to him - nope, a bug or the messages comes later?

Granted, I've only played a couple of hours of the campaign - up to the third chapter - but even in that short time, I've definitely observed a pervading lack of polish.

Playing on Normal, the AI seems pretty lackluster. It's little things like them not noticing you, or standing with their backs turned after just having loosed some rounds, or not moving an inch for a good half-minute in front of your OWL shield...

Then there's instances such as getting ripped to shreds through a barely grated floor by a single infantry troop underneath a set of stairs. It took me a good 10 seconds to firstly ascertain where I was getting shot from and once I had, do you think I could return fire through said floor? Not really.

The encounter design just doesn't seem up to scratch to me. It feels as if it's been created in a level editor, rather than crafted by a talented developer.

wizzbang

Banned
I'm stuck!

I just did I think most of mission 7? I had to follow a cargo vessel through space defending it from clones and stuff. (No, I didn't get the forcefield bug) - about 2 minutes after you do that and they
seemingly arrest the biochemist nutcase lady
you end up with an awesome "killzone-esque" battle, there must be at least 40 soldiers storming the big room. I'm up the top with access to some seriously sweet fucking hardware but even with that and the owl it's just tricky as fuck. I hate to say this as I've become a console gamer over the years but I could honestly do with a mouse for this section, I need to kill them FAST in hard mode, no time to mess around with cover and shit. (I'm in hard)

Anyone completed this battle? (well obviously) - in hard mode? What should I be doing? I'm using that pimp as fuck 3 round burst explosive electrical charge gun, first time I've used it, it's sweet, seems to be actually
vaporizing some of the bad guys, like the super gravity gun from HL2

I'm stuck!

I just did I think most of mission 7? I had to follow a cargo vessel through space defending it from clones and stuff. (No, I didn't get the forcefield bug) - about 2 minutes after you do that and they
you end up with an awesome "killzone-esque" battle, there must be at least 40 soldiers storming the big room. I'm up the top with access to some seriously sweet fucking hardware but even with that and the owl it's just tricky as fuck. I hate to say this as I've become a console gamer over the years but I could honestly do with a mouse for this section, I need to kill them FAST in hard mode, no time to mess around with cover and shit. (I'm in hard)

Anyone completed this battle? (well obviously) - in hard mode? What should I be doing? I'm using that pimp as fuck 3 round burst explosive electrical charge gun, first time I've used it, it's sweet, seems to be actually
I'm honestly not sure what battle you mean. Are you on stahls ship which is the final battle.
If so you can stay outside that room and pick off many enemies before entering the room

INCUBA3E

Banned
I'm stuck!

you end up with an awesome "killzone-esque" battle, there must be at least 40 soldiers storming the big room. I'm up the top with access to some seriously sweet fucking hardware but even with that and the owl it's just tricky as fuck. I hate to say this as I've become a console gamer over the years but I could honest lyrics do with a mouse for this section, I need to kill them FAST in hard mode, no time to mess around with cover and shit. (I'm in hard)

Jump in the massive turret behind you and kill anythibg that moves?

wizzbang

Banned
Just finished Ch.8

..and now I want Guerrilla Games to make a proper Terminator game! (^____^)

I read this post an hour ago and thought "what's this guy talking about??" - errr now I know, holy shit, this level is just fucking.... great - and awful! Talk about fear.
(I'm still on it and it ain't easy)

Jump in the massive turret behind you and kill anythibg that moves?

Took a few tries but yeah that was the solution, phew.

wizzbang

Banned
Ok seriously I don't understand how there can be ANY debate about the best visuals for the next gen console launch games, it's Killzone without a doubt. Once you've actually got a good way through it, just holy god damn fucking shit.

As somone who has ditched PC gaming slowly over the last couple of years, this is pretty awesome, the graphics are pretty fucking mind boggling at points. THIS is why long long console generations is good, because the leap is worth it. (yep, I know PC games can look better, many do, even without super rigs and the super rigs would blow this away... none the less this is a fucking pretty console game, very pretty)

I can't believe this is a launch game, normally 2/3 of launch games look like upres previous gen games. There's already been several scenes in KZ:SF that my poor little PS3 could never have ever done, period!
As for the low reviews from a few people and the hate, I don't get it.

There's a couple of small niggles overall, owl being a bit overpowered, some battles getting repetitive, a few very very small bugs, a couple of cutscenes that felt as if some dialogue tweaks might help them - but.... I mean I'm being pedantic, for the most part, launch goggles or not, this game is pretty damn decent. When you factor in the solid KZ gunplay, the mind boggling graphics, a story which really seems to leave KZ3 in the dust, how the fuck they did all this for a launch game? I don't get it. Man Guerilla must've had dev kits a LONG time!

Just finished it and with that, its finally replaced KZ2 as my favorite game in the series :)

Basically to sum it up, GG finally stopped trying to chase the COD demograph and made something of their own that they can be truly be proud of, both in story (which finally starts to pay off for series fans) and in gameplay.

GG please, DO NOT listen to the press and "journalists"

So reading this thread for a few days is my assumption correct:

GG makes KZ2/KZ3 linear and corridor shooter (though its not different from all other 99.99% shooters but still it gets most hate for this)

Media/gamers: what is this shit...too linear, too much hand holding, too cinematic, fix this shit GG

GG listens to feedback, makes KZSF less linear and more open missions

Media/gamers: what is this shit...I am lost, where I need to go, why this game doesn't hold my hand and take me where I need to go...I hate you GG

Am I right? GG never wins

lol sooo true.

Im still catching up with this epic thread but I cant believe the things people are complaining about. Like Ch.8 and 9.
Hell, the situation at the end of Ch.9 are where the mechanics truly shine.
Ch.8, like I said before, is like playing through the Terminator, complete with sabotaging puzzles to take out the hunter killers.

BadAss2961

I still think Killzone 2 had the best multiplayer, but this one is a step up from Killzone 3 at least.
Nothing beats KZ2's shooting mechanics. The weight, the recoil, the rumble, it all felt just right. I also think I liked KZ2's class system a bit better.

I prefer Shadow Fall overall for two reasons though -- the maps are incredible, and the framerate is a huge plus imo.

Dibbz

Im still just so over the fucking moon with how this and Mercenary have put the series back on track (^___^)

Feel the same. Both SP and MP in Merc and Shadow Fall have been amazing. Can't wait for DLC and other features to come down the line to add to what we already got.

Top Bottom