• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Timu

Nothing beats KZ2's shooting mechanics. The weight, the recoil, the rumble, it all felt just right. I also think I liked KZ2's class system a bit better.

I prefer Shadow Fall overall for two reasons though -- the maps are incredible, and the framerate is a huge plus imo.
Some maps in this game aren't that great, but I like quite a bit of them.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So reading this thread for a few days is my assumption correct:

GG makes KZ2/KZ3 linear and corridor shooter (though its not different from all other 99.99% shooters but still it gets most hate for this)

Media/gamers: what is this shit...too linear, too much hand holding, too cinematic, fix this shit GG

GG listens to feedback, makes KZSF less linear and more open missions

Media/gamers: what is this shit...I am lost, where I need to go, why this game doesn't hold my hand and take me where I need to go...I hate you GG

Am I right? GG never wins

I don't feel like KZSF is actually open-ended in it's level design at all, it's a series of boxes or big 'rooms' at best that are connected by a single entrance/exit (whether that be a door, jump, bridge or cut-scene). That, coupled with a sometimes ill-designed objective marker that more so than not serves to confuse rather than lead you in the right direction is where KZSF suffers.

Granted I'm only up to the end of chapter 7 (seemingly am cursed not to go beyond that point) and maybe the game truly 'opens up' after that, but for me so far the game's shown very little outside of being another take on the corridor shooter, just with a wider, but still very gated and linear corridor.

I like it overall nonetheless, if I actually get to finish it that is (damn bug!).

The game is mainly linear still, but it's not hand holding linear that folks have gotten used to with CoD. Folks actually get stuck and lost in KZ:SF, while its impossible to do that in games like CoD which are pretty much interactive cut scenes that you are always going forward in. Some spots like the space station early on is one of the more open areas of the game since there is alot of areas in the station which aren't connected to your objectives.

I think it's a step in the right direction how they did the game, but the game needed more polish on how they set up a bunch of parts. Players getting stuck is not really players being stupid, but some iffy design decisions. Like how some doors you can go through or need to find to proceed look identical to every other door in an area, but there is no indication that those doors don't open or close. Reminds a person of the shitty old days of running around walls in Wolfenstein pressing the space bar till a wall/door opened for you.

Objective indicators were much more clear in KillZone Mercenaries as well, and that game even included a mini map.

CozMick

Banned
Im still just so over the fucking moon with how this and Mercenary have put the series back on track (^___^)

This.

I've been nothing but amazed with KZ:SF, both technically and how the story has been handled. On top of that an awesome multiplayer.

Bring on the co-op GG.

Kaswa101

Just finished it and with that, its finally replaced KZ2 as my favorite game in the series :)

Basically to sum it up, GG finally stopped trying to chase the COD demograph and made something of their own that they can be truly be proud of, both in story (which finally starts to pay off for series fans) and in gameplay.

GG please, DO NOT listen to the press and "journalists"

So much this. I just finished and it's a solid 9/10 for me. Yes, seriously.

Given that I've only played this one and KZ3, and keeping in mind that this is probably the PS4 hype talking, I enjoyed Shadow Fall a lot. There were some frustrating gameplay sections, and the ending was somewhat abrupt, but nevertheless, I loved the experience. Brilliant graphics, fun MP, cool OST, with a story and characters that are more fleshed out than Sev and Rico (seriously, screw Rico). Definitely gonna play the MP some more, and replay the SP in a few months' time when I'm bored :p

Overall, solid launch title imo. I don't get the hate. Reviews be damned.

Serious question: what are the main complaints about this game? I keep reading that the second half was terrible, but I never got that feeling, at all.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Another thing that to me has detracted from the overall experience is the damn muzzle-flash of the primary default rifle. It's too damn blinding for the gun to be used in any sort of reasonable manner. I wish they'd tone that down a bit.

So much this. I just finished and it's a solid 9/10 for me. Yes, seriously.

Given that I've only played this one and KZ3, and keeping in mind that this is probably the PS4 hype talking, I enjoyed Shadow Fall a lot. There were some frustrating gameplay sections, and the ending was somewhat abrupt, but nevertheless, I loved the experience. Brilliant graphics, fun MP, cool OST, with a story and characters that are more fleshed out than Sev and Rico (seriously, screw Rico). Definitely gonna play the MP some more, and replay the SP in a few months' time when I'm bored :p

Overall, solid launch title imo. I don't get the hate. Reviews be damned.

Serious question: what are the main complaints about this game? I keep reading that the second half was terrible, but I never got that feeling, at all.

Play KZ2 and Merc ASAP.

nikos

Just finished the game. Ending spoilers tagged.

It was cool that they killed the main character. I always like when things like that happen. I also liked the extra mission during the credits. I feel like they missed the ball there, though. While it was a good mission, it took a few tries to complete, killing the immersion. Revenge missions should be easy and have you feel like a badass.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. There were some frustrating parts, but it was good overall.

Just finished the game. Ending spoilers tagged.

It was cool that they killed the main character. I always like when things like that happened. I also liked the extra mission during the credits. I feel like they missed the ball there, though. While it was a good mission, it took a few tries to complete, killing the immersion. Revenge missions should be easy, and have you feel like a badass.

Overall, I enjoyed the game. There were some frustrating parts, but it was good overall.

Inclined to agree. Its more of a chore than satisfying. Would rather it been a cinema.

Also, love how this game ties back to Mercenary. Too bad we didnt get
to see Justus again

Robot Pants

I feel like the Platinum trophy for this game is absolutely doable, it's just gonna be a bit of a grind for those ability unlocks.
A bit more than a grind.

just finished the game myself and agree with the others about
the revenge mission, although I'm not quite sure if killing Sinclair meant ending the war or if it was supposed to allude to a new war starting. Weirdly enugh I felt more satisfied with the ending before you play Echo. Felt more in line with how I felt after finishing Killzone 2.

krioto

Nothing beats KZ2's shooting mechanics. The weight, the recoil, the rumble, it all felt just right. I also think I liked KZ2's class system a bit better.

I prefer Shadow Fall overall for two reasons though -- the maps are incredible, and the framerate is a huge plus imo.

Agree, the maps in Shadowfall are excellent. Too bad the M82 did not make it into the game, but I think the Rumbler is giving me a good AR fix.

Bumhead

Banned
Hell, the situation at the end of Ch.9 are where the mechanics truly shine.

Seriously?

Chapter 9 is a heap of shit, and the only thing that shines about it is that awful FPS campaign trope where the supposed answer to game design is to just throw wave after wave of enemies at your position.

I found the mix of micro-managing the stairs, dealing with the aerial drones, having to deal with the shielded guards and protect the OWL for the hack a laborious and irritating chore. There's absolutely nothing new or imaginative about that sequence. No care, no thought, no intricate design, no display of what makes (or is supposed to make) Shadowfall a good game. Just, "Here's an increasingly difficult swarm of enemies. Shoot them, please!". We've played that same bullshit section in every badly designed and uninspired FPS campaign for the last 10 years and for me it's a VERY frustrating line under the entire game.

Robso

Just curious about a couple of things. The terrible things I've heard about the checkpoint system have put me off the game. Read on the US PS Forums the following:

'Each Chapter is split into several sections and the game saves your progress after each completed section.

Chapter Select lets you continue from the last saved section, you never need to replay entire levels like some people seem to think.

Where GG could improve is make it more obvious when a section is completed, they usually end with cutscenes.'

Is this true? It's just everybody else there is complaining barring this one person.

Also, how long would you roughly say chapters are?

Thanks.

Dunlop

Arg my whole level reset,

Granted I just started the game and had just
destroyed the AA guns and about to take out the communication tower

I am already kind of meh on the game...is this a common bug?

edit: screwed up spoiler..sorry!

So it wasn't a bug, damn it took me at least 30 minutes to get there from the starting point

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just curious about a couple of things. The terrible things I've heard about the checkpoint system have put me off the game. Read on the US PS Forums the following:

'Each Chapter is split into several sections and the game saves your progress after each completed section.

Chapter Select lets you continue from the last saved section, you never need to replay entire levels like some people seem to think.

Where GG could improve is make it more obvious when a section is completed, they usually end with cutscenes.'

Is this true? It's just everybody else there is complaining barring this one person.

Thanks.
Yeah. It only saves at section breaks but they aren't clearly marked. A lot of times you can figure it out since it's after major objectives, cutscenes, or location changes but it's pretty unclear.

Thanks.

I too found it anoying as I often found myself playing much longer than I had planed just to make sure that last hard section was truely behind the last permanent checkpoint.

fernoca

Yeah. It only saves at section breaks but they aren't clearly marked. A lot of times you can figure it out since it's after major objectives, cutscenes, or location changes but it's pretty unclear.
Yeah..and it seems to be kinds of "your mileage may vary"

During the first (actual) mission, after you're at the top of the mountain, I went and deactivated the alarms, went to the armory then found the ship,(remember seeing the "checkpoint/thing" ..so..3 checkpoints?), turned it off and went to work; returned...and was back right at the beginning with your OWL and no ammo (and having to kill the 2 guys to get ammo).

Did all that again (but in different order) found the missing crew, got their log, quit (work again)...then was back right to the beginning with the 2 guys and no ammo (again).

First thing I did on my day off? The entire mission in one sitting and made sure to finish it, then started the second one..before quitting.

Been doing a mission per sitting since. :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

It says "Checkpoint" in the corner whenever there's a section break.

EGOMON

Just finished Killzone SF Single player campaign and i must disagree with people saying it was bad i finished it in two days because it was really good and i couldn't stop playing, sure its not groundbreaking experience but compared to other shooter KZSF is great.

Now time for the Multiplayer :)

Kaswa101

Just finished Killzone SF Single player campaign and i must disagree with people saying it was bad i finished it in two days because it was really good and i couldn't stop playing, sure its not groundbreaking experience but compared to other shooter KZSF is great.

Now time for the Multiplayer :)

Agreed. It was polished and well-presented imo. Don't get the hate for the story either.

Am I the only one who thinks this could be the end of the series? Would be fitting imo.

Number45

Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know when they could quit. I pretty much just played to the end of a chapter in each sitting to be safe.

Melchiah

It's kinda depressing how rare the trophies for the later levels are. Seems like many didn't care to play the game through.

Agreed. It was polished and well-presented imo. Don't get the hate for the story either.

Am I the only one who thinks this could be the end of the series? Would be fitting imo.

Id say theyre definitely in a position to take a break for sure. Mayne Cambridge is gonna step and take over though while GG works on their new IP. I certainly wouldn't complain about that either :)

Not sure.
it's not like it ended in peace. Echo still lives. Wouldn't mind a game based on her.

Angelcurio

Finally finished the game last sunday. Hated chapter 7, since i never heard anyone talking about a turret, just noticed it when i started roaming the area after having died at least 10 times, and feeling frustrated at how broken and cheap that part was, almost as annoying as been lost on that forest level.

Also the chapter 10 part didn't feel satisfying. I really liked that you get to play as Echo, but the level and the objective is quite dull, deactivating cameras and reaching a point to shoot Sinclair. Also i don't understand how a public assasination, which would be considered a terrorist attack, is supposed to be the main strategy to avoid the war.

Playing on Helghan was really an eye opener, it definitiely made me feel like i was playing a next gen game. I had to stop playing countless of times just to stare at the scenery, having detailed rocks, floor, etc. Finally having high resolution textures everywhere is definitely a huge change that made me realize how outdated the PS3 graphics were.

I have played a couple of online matches after finishing the game, and i must say that i really enjoyed it. Using your camouflage, even if you are only limited to use your knife is satisfying, specially when the enemy is attacking one of your teammates, and all of a sudden they got a knife on their throats.Maybe it's a matter of perception, but i felt that either the graphics or the lighting look slighty worse on multiplayer.

Grinchy

Banned
Not sure.
it's not like it ended in peace. Echo still lives. Wouldn't mind a game based on her.

Yeah that character is definitely one of the most interesting characters they've made so far.

The graphics are dialed back a bit in MP, it does run at 60 fps instead of the 35-40 SP runs at.
eh, I love the MP but it most certainly does not run at 60fps

Even BF4 doesn't stay at 60fps at all times, but it's there the majority of the time. In my experience, Shadow Fall is at 60fps the vast minority of the time. Not really a complaint, though. Game is awesome.

Anung

Un Rama
I enjoyed the campaign for this immensely. It certainly had its flaws but I'd say its a solid 8/10 game. I'm currently replaying through it on hard and trying to get all the collectables.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game is the #1 seller in the UK for three weeks straight.

I thought the story was fine as well. A big step up from previous games in the series, at least.
There will be fallout from the assassination. All it did was prevent Sinclair from declaring all out war. The series can't end until Helghast and Vektan alike are united and Echo is the perfect character to facilitate that. I think we get one more mainline game starring her.

Game is the #1 seller in the UK for three weeks straight.

I thought the story was fine as well. A big step up from previous games in the series, at least.
There will be fallout from the assassination. All it did was prevent Sinclair from declaring all out war. The series can't end until Helghast and Vektan alike are united and Echo is the perfect character to facilitate that. I think we get one more mainline game starring her.
I wouldn't mind Killzone:
Echo

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Game definitely picked up in the back half. Some of the visuals were amazing, which is why I came to this party I guess. I still think the whole package was a bit mediocre, but it did save itself from being remembered for its frustrating dullness.

Robso

Thanks for the responses about the save system, guys.

I was watching Angry Joe's review earlier and he seemingly hated the game. Said there's waves of enemies and the checkpointing is poor as you have to do the levels all over again. Along with not always knowing what to do, and having to back track.

Is the game worth persevering with, despite its faults?

krioto

I was watching Angry Joe's review earlier and he seemingly hated the game. Said there's waves of enemies and the checkpointing is poor as you have to do the levels all over again. Along with not always knowing what to do, and having to back track.

Is the game worth persevering with, despite its faults?

Yes, sounds like angry joe is not that clever

Field

Since there was some misinformation on the last page.

If you use chapter select you start at your last checkpoint. It says "Checkpoint" in the corner and there are several checkpoints in every chapter.

But if you use resume campaign you start at the beginning of the chapter you were at.

Dibbz

If you use chapter select you start at your last checkpoint. It says "Checkpoint" in the corner and there are several checkpoints in every chapter.

But if you use resume campaign you start at the beginning of the chapter you were at.

Hope GG fixes that. Resume campaign should pick up from the last checkpoint. Just played a little SP to show off the PS4 to my cousin. God damn I forgot how mind blowing character modeling/lighting etc is in SP. Excuse the shitty compression and tiny size.

Spoilers so I'll just post a link
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BbuboRSIAAAqryO.jpg:large

patchday

Ah so that's what is going on I thank you very much for this post!!

Top Bottom