• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Grinchy

Banned
The first time this game angered me was at the turret part in Chapter 7. Playing on hard, it was impossible to beat.

Is it true that if you clear out more soldiers before entering the turret it makes it easier? If so I will do that before trying again.

Yes, you have to clear out more enemies before getting into the turret. I died probably 50+ times there one night when I didn't know that. I kept thinking I was just doing something wrong while in the turret, but it's literally impossible if you leave too many enemies alive before getting in. I had 9 enemy turrets shooting at me with enemies below who would set up more lol

Once I realized that, I restarted the section and took out pretty much every single person. The turret part ended up being insanely easy after trying the impossible version of it so many times.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Yes, you have to clear out more enemies before getting into the turret. I died probably 50+ times there one night when I didn't know that. I kept thinking I was just doing something wrong while in the turret, but it's literally impossible if you leave too many enemies alive before getting in. I had 9 enemy turrets shooting at me with enemies below who would set up more lol

Once I realized that, I restarted the section and took out pretty much every single person. The turret part ended up being insanely easy after trying the impossible version of it so many times.

Thanks for the info. Any tip[s for clearing the stuff out beforehand? I assume it is suicide to venture out to where the guys are.

One thing we can all agree on is GG are experts in not only graphics but also art design

You could have a graphically powerful game but without having a good art style to compliment it then it is worthless in my eyes

They weren't lying when they said both their gun models and character models where in game... Even in the MP

I just wish them good luck with their new I.P
I hope the new story directors at GG will help it become a good story written game

Grinchy

Banned
Thanks for the info. Any tip[s for clearing the stuff out beforehand? I assume it is suicide to venture out to where the guys are.

Definitely use the Voltage that's at the gun rack. I think I also threw some laser trip mines down on the stairways so enemies couldn't flank. But that Voltage will take out the shields and the enemies that have the force field around them. It also does a good job against turrets.

Just make sure to kill as much as you possibly can before they tell you that the turret is ready and then the next section is pretty easy.

Is that the section up on the metal barrier thing with a large selection of guns? There's a canon behind you that you can get inside - that took me about 7 tries on hard as well.
Next level dude is DEFINITELY worth trudging through, wow.
Thanks. I'm gotta psyche myself up to try again tonight. And how the hell were we supposed to know about the damned turret?

wizzbang

Banned
Thanks. I'm gotta psyche myself up to try again tonight. And how the hell were we supposed to know about the damned turret?

It eventually tells you after a while, I found it tricky but I do enjoy FPS games (SP) being difficult, otherwise the sense of achievement can feel lacking.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
One thing we can all agree on is GG are experts in not only graphics but also art design

You could have a graphically powerful game but without having a good art style to compliment it then it is worthless in my eyes

They weren't lying when they said both their gun models and character models where in game... Even in the MP

I just wish them good luck with their new I.P
I hope the new story directors at GG will help it become a good story written game
It's not just GG, Sony's first party overall have great art AND tech. It's that combination that makes the games extra stunning visually.

krioto

The Last Stand section on chapter 7 Hard was a piece of cake:

- Grab the Voltage gun, and laser trip-mines
- Set a laser trip mine on each of the stair cases to the left/right of the platform
- Set the OWL to shield mode
- Destroy every motherfucker with the Voltage
- When run out of ammo, grab the ammo crate or one of the other 2 voltages on the weapons rack
- When you get the checklist to enter the turret, do so
- Continue destroying until finish

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

- Set a laser trip mine on each of the stair cases to the left/right of the platform
- When run out of ammo, grab the ammo crate or one of the other 2 voltages on the weapons rack
I have no idea how people are having trouble with that section. Voltage and Shield will make it so you don't even take damage or need to move until the turret arrives.

krioto

I have no idea how people are having trouble with that section. Voltage and Shield will make it so you don't even take damage or need to move until the turret arrives.

Yes, that combo makes it like shooting fish in a barrel - you don't even have to move other than to get more ammo

Almost 3 weeks after getting this game, I'm still stuck on Chapter 3 and almost no motivation to continue.

Absolutely loved KZ2 campaign and KZ3 was good and enjoyable despite lacking the atmosphere of KZ2. This one however is boring me to death.

Chapter 3 is something that immediately feels like the Designers played Dead Space 2 while designing the level. And Chapter 2 feels like Crysis.... I wonder what GG copied for Chapter 4. Maybe that's going to be my motivation to try to finish this game.

I was in the exact same position. Once you get past the shitty parts it gets really good. Keep going. Took me three weeks too to get the urge to pop it in again.

Muffdraul

Chapter 3 is something that immediately feels like the Designers played Dead Space 2 while designing the level.

That's exactly what I thought when I played that chapter. But it didn't piss me off, it made me go "Oh man, imagine how awesome next gen Dead Space would look." It actually made me want to see a new Dead Space game, which is pretty surprising considering how I felt about the last one...

Just beat the game, was okay. Some bits I loved, (the OWL, open level design, the graphics) and there were some I hated (crappy story, disconnect between gameplay and cutscene, the freefall sections, the lame ass ending,).. but one thing was just buggging me for the entire game..

Why did Vekta allows the refugee Helgans to establish a military on Vekta !? it's just madness !

I just finished it. There was some things in chapter 7 or so that were decent but this SP was awful. Generic settings and all. Most of the time I died was because I either didn't know what to do or I was being shot at from all directions. Story was terrible.

The story definitely needed to be refined and better fleshed out.

Personally, I really didn't like the whole "Cold War" thing. IT doesn't feel Killzone, AT ALL!

Killzone is about big wars, not shadow wars.

The next game better go back to the real wars of past games.

Muffdraul

The story definitely needed to be refined and better fleshed out.

Personally, I really didn't like the whole "Cold War" thing. IT doesn't feel Killzone, AT ALL!

Killzone is about big wars, not shadow wars.

The next game better go back to the real wars of past games.

The original Killzone was about a little strike team sneaking around behind enemy lines. The "big battles" in that game put you up against all of like 12 Higgs. True that KZ2 and 3 were more like "WW2 in teh future" with two big armies going at it. I see KZSF as kinda harkening back to KZ1 is all.

ron_bato

That's exactly what I thought when I played that chapter. But it didn't piss me off, it made me go "Oh man, imagine how awesome next gen Dead Space would look." It actually made me want to see a new Dead Space game, which is pretty surprising considering how I felt about the last one...

This is exactly how I felt about that chapter. That chapter had some of the best lighting in the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Going through some sections on Easy to get the no deaths trophy. The train station is going to be the hardest part. I get hit with those so much :lol

shantyman

WHO DEY!?

That is just what I did and it worked beautifully.

Bad design though, because the first time I tried and hit the checkpoint at the turret, it was not possible to complete it because I had not cleared enough Helghast. Games should not put you in impossible situations like that.

Finally playing through this all the way and I'm really enjoying it. Just got past the echo stealth/sniping section. Does the game go downhill from here?

Ricky_R

I know but I always seem to be on the tracks and unable to get out of the way fast enough.

Enemies aren't the problem, it's the bullet trains out of nowhere turning Kellan into a fine paste. I'm so bad at sections like this.

Ahh. I didn't have that many issues with the trains after the first two or three hits. First time I jumped and saw that fucking train out of nowhere moving towards my face I shat my pants.

Enemies were a bit more difficult to dealt with in that area for me though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
45 minutes in... WHY THE FUCK IS THE OWL SOUND PENETRATING MY EARS CONSTANTLY?

how the fuck do I turn this shit off?

BRRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRR

BBRRRRRRRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRRRRRRR

Yes, I UNDERSTAND that you want to be over-used in this game but PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP

Someone tell me how I turn this EXTREMELY over loud obstacle before I turn this game off.

Muffdraul

BRRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRR

BBRRRRRRRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRRRRRRR

Yes, I UNDERSTAND that you want to be over-used in this game but PLEASE SHUT THE FUCK UP

Someone tell me how I turn this EXTREMELY over loud obstacle before I turn this game off.

Hold L1 to recall the OWL.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

BRRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRR

BBRRRRRRRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRRRRRRR

OWL is pretty quiet. Are you sure you're not overheating the tactical echo? That's the only thing that really makes noise, aside from shooting.

Guys, on PSN Ps Plus this game is FREE, I downloaded it and installed, and as I start the game I am taken to the start screen but there it says that I need to unlock it to play it, I press unlock and it takes me to PSN, were I have to pay for the game...

why is that?

Guys, on PSN Ps Plus this game is FREE, I downloaded it and installed, and as I start the game I am taken to the start screen but there it says that I need to unlock it to play it, I press unlock and it takes me to PSN, were I have to pay for the game...

why is that?
It's free for a few days after Christmas. It's a "trial weekend".

Super excited to try this game. Was an Xbox 360 guy last generation, so I never got to play the previous Killzone's. I understand the campaign in this one is different from the previous Killzone's, but excited nonetheless. Was still kind of on the rope about it, but with the multiplayer trial coming up, I can decide before buying it.

lt519

Finished up the campaign last night on Normal. Some thoughts:

-Pacing and story were definitely sub-par, but the ending was gratifying
-Beautiful looking game but in a few sections (crawling spaces especially) looked really bad and could of used a bit more time in the oven
-Gun play was fun but after coming from multi-player the abilities of the main character felt limited
-I didn't use OWL nearly enough, towards the end I started to and the game became much easier
-Getting in the turret with to many enemies alive is a huge mistake ("Oh this is easy, I'll just crouch and take out the guys that get close ::jumps in turret:: OMG WTF")
-Which brings me to the point that the checkpoints were poorly chosen and could get you stuck in really bad situations where you were better off restarting the chapter
-My favorite sections were
working with Echo and spotting enemies, etc
-I'm really bad at shooters

In the end I'd give the campaign a 6.5/10. I at least got through it (didn't make it through Bioshock Infinite) but it didn't really grab me.

SSReborn

Ugh while collecting the collectibles for trophies, I found them then hopped out of the sections without finishing off the stage when I got what I needed only to find out the game doesn't save after you pick said collectibles up. Now I gotta do this again and play the each stage to completion. Luckily I caught this before I got to far in.

No Love

Banned

BRRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRR

BBRRRRRRRRRRRRR

BRRRRRRRRRRRR

No. Stop playing with a hangover.

leng jai

Ok just trudged through the end of chapter 7, 8 and 9. That may well be the least fun I've ever had in a shooter campaign. Chapter 8 basically used the same tedious mechanic for the entire time - what a waste of such pretty visuals.

thelastword

Banned
Just finished Shadowfall, I must say I enjoyed it bar some troubling sections. I got bamboozled on two sections mainly, chapter 7 and the last chapter. I tried chapter seven a couple of times before pressing through, but looking at some of the comments now; I was certainly playing that section the wrong way, hell I didn't even realize there was a voltage on the platform, I noticed that gun for the first time only in chapter 9.

In retrospect, I think the shield was what I used the least playing through the campaign, hell, It seems I even forgot it existed, that should have been a no brainer for the onslaught that chapter 7 is though. Even with my kicking against the pricks method, trying to take these guys without a shield on the platform I did get close several times, but I died a few times trying to board the turret.

The way I beat it though was to forsake my men on the platform, go downstairs, go right and set my assault behind the section where the turret lands, the wall here served as my shield. I then placed trip mines on either side of that wall, near the stairs that takes you to the top platform, in order to prevent helghasts from getting to me or my men upstairs.
I put the owl in assault mode to protect me and I took out many shields and helghasts from my vantage point. When the shielded enemies came, I would put the owl in stun mode and take them out, btw trips mines will also kill shielded enemies. As the helghasts came and tripped over the mines, I would just put some more since there's three more mines to pick up in that section. I kept taking helghasts out till the turret landed, rushed upstairs, manned the turret and landed an array of bullets on the poor saps below..ha. I will do it the easy way next time I play though.

As for chapter 10, I must have spent so much time trying to figure out what to do, tried to stealth pass the top section but most times the citizens would panic if you passed to close and set the alert and timer, there's no silencer to take out soldiers in stealth mode also. I also could not find where the high level security panel was for the life of me, since I was always on the run upstairs, lol... I tried so many things for at least a good two hours, nothing, I got the gun with the security panel below deactivated get to the snipe point no dice. I shut it down last night and came back to it this evening, did the camera fly through before you open the door to that stealth section, try to pin point where the high level security shutdown was, I noticed a little section just below where you get the sniper, bam mission was as easy as pie, even though I didn't really stealth it.

Overall a solid campaign, I don't really play shooters for stories so I don't mind if it wasn't great, my jaw however began to hit the floor from the time I got into the vekhtan city and onwards till the end, there were so many beautiful scenes throughout that I don't remember which was more impressive,( I probably have a million photos saved..lol) chapter ten was beautiful though, but I will say that chapter 9 is my favourite chapter overall for both gameplay and looks. I will now look into multiplayer, most people are saying that it's great and probably the best feature of shadowfall, so here I come. I will also take a look at the trophy list, I guess I might have to play the campaign on hard towards the platinum is what i'm thinking.

So is the turret section in chapter seven actually beatable?

lol yea, took me a few times on hard. The more enemies you leave before you get into the turret the harder(there is a checkpoint as soon as you get in). Just fire like crazy as they get out of the dropship, but don't waste your time on the actual dropship. Make sure none of them get too close as that is where the real damage is.

Top Bottom