• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

I really don't know why people are so down on this game - I think it's awesome. So shiny and pretty too - looking forward to jumping into the multi after the campaign, to see what they have done.

bunbun777

The thing with the turret section is it really helps to get that gun that shots the electric rounds in bursts of three, not sure the name off hand. And lay down laser tripmines at the base of the steps and aim for the exploding containers also. Then when you get into the turret it is quite easy even on hard.

zedge

You have to activate voice chat in options. It is NOT activated by default. So I do not think many will activate it x(

No there was some other fixes. You can see patch notes on the PS4

Sigh.. you can also 'pay' to make your voice sound different.. really?! LOL

That is just what I did and it worked beautifully.

Bad design though, because the first time I tried and hit the checkpoint at the turret, it was not possible to complete it because I had not cleared enough Helghast. Games should not put you in impossible situations like that.
It didn't, it put you in a postion where bad non tactical options leads you to failure, obviously there exsisted a option to win so not bad design at all, it actually really fucking good design, that's depth, you dont see that in to many shooters.

eznark

Banned
It didn't, it put you in a postion where bad non tactical options leads you to failure, obviously there exsisted a option to win so not bad design at all, it actually really fucking good design, that's depth, you dont see that in to many shooters.

I die about 4-7 seconds after loading. My options right now are replay 30 minutes of a crappy section or trade the game for $40. Choices! In a shooter!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yup. He didn't even thank you
No, it was a glitch that remained throughout the entire chapter. It was loud as hell, over-sounding everything else and it was CONSTANTLY making the sound for being over-heated despite not being overheated.

The game got a lot better once the glitch fixed itself and I got my ass out of the forest level. I like the linear stages a lot.

Impressions 3 chapters in:

Great graphics, solid mechanics, good ideas, poor skeletal frame.

It felt to me like GG conceptualizes the ideas they wanted to put into the game, gave it a very high-level overview without going into the nitty-gritty of the entire core ideas, and just built the game from there.

At least 3 chapters in, the story felt poorly paced. I felt like I was watching Homeland without Brody. :/

No, it was a glitch that remained throughout the entire chapter. It was loud as hell, over-sounding everything else and it was CONSTANTLY making the sound for being over-heated despite not being overheated.

The game got a lot better once the glitch fixed itself and I got my ass out of the forest level. I like the linear stages a lot.
Okay, prettty weird. And annoying :p

Bumhead

Banned
Ok just trudged through the end of chapter 7, 8 and 9. That may well be the least fun I've ever had in a shooter campaign. Chapter 8 basically used the same tedious mechanic for the entire time - what a waste of such pretty visuals.

From the end of Chapter 7 through to 9 is probably the least I've ever enjoyed a single player FPS campaign. Chapter 9 especially is just awful.

Chapter 10 redeems it a fair bit.

Finished it last night. I felt like they had some cool story ideas but they just couldn't pull it off. The game seemed to have a lot of weird moments like after the
first mission finishes. 8 Years! You're a Shadow Marshal Lucas. 14 years! blah blah
or when you
take the dropship towards Stahl, where the game stops for a minute, takes control of the camera and forces you to look at Echo while she makes a quip about your status
. For the most part I enjoyed it but the execution was really lacking. Probably something to do with it being a launch game or showing off their mocap tech.

Some other stuff:

- I was expecting to spend a while on the second freefall section, but actually managed to do on my second try.
- Holding out for the
dropship while being assualted by waves of Helghast
didn't bother me either, but the
section where you protect Massar while she's in the train
was probably the most boring, annoying part of a game I've played this year.
- Weapons were kind of samey, but the other tools you had at your disposal made the gameplay quite fun. They all sounded pretty great too.

Back to multiplayer I guess!

leng jai

From the end of Chapter 7 through to 9 is probably the least I've ever enjoyed a single player FPS campaign. Chapter 9 especially is just awful.

Chapter 10 redeems it a fair bit.

Yeah. I thought it couldn't get any worse than the first 6 levels but not only are these boring but they're frustrating as hell at times too. That defend phase where you have to disable two doors at different times was the definition of tedium and just a blatant waste of time. The music during the whole encounter was also daft and made no sense whatsoever. I genuinely can't believe a company of Guerilla's pedigree would think that people would find chapter 8 and 9 fun.

Bumhead

Banned
I genuinely can't believe a company of Guerilla's pedigree would think that people would find chapter 8 and 9 fun.

Yeah this is how I always see it. Some of the design choices in those later levels just made me wonder how and why they were viewed as acceptable design during development. Chapter 9 was basically everything I hate about FPS campaigns these days condensed into one lump of shit of a level.

Guess I won't bother completing 7 then!

It's all subjective I suppose. But if you haven't enjoyed the game up to that point then I don't think it'll do anything to change your opinion now. And everything you probably don't like gets dialled up to 11. Chapter 10 is sort of worth seeing in the grand scheme of the whole game, but I wouldn't worry too much if you decide to drop it.

eznark

Banned
I was actually really enjoying it up to the end of Chapter 7 where I guess I played myself into a corner and have to redo a bunch.

The numbers are pretty bad, I just hope people are still playing it 3 months from now. I'm enjoying the shit out of the MP.

Hopefully Sony are in the process of mailing my steelbook Killzone to me as we speak so i should be able to join in by then. They're not quick at responding.
Not that i'm bitter about not getting a game i paid for :)

I've not played Killzone before and I really want to give the MP a go at some point as that's where the game seems to shine.

eznark

Banned
Beat the turret, easy now that I know the whole thing stacks.

My reward, another abysmal free fall. Jesus these guys hate their audience. A lot.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's the worst chapter in the game? I'm at 7 and I only found the second chapter "bad" so far but that's mostly because of the Owl-glitch.

eznark

Banned
What's the worst chapter in the game? I'm at 7 and I only found the second chapter "bad" so far but that's mostly because of the Owl-glitch.

Im like halfway through chapter 8 and I relish every checkpoint because it means I can set the game down and walk away for a few hours. It's really bad.

Just finished the game. Definitely a good campaign. Not a great one, but a good one. Sadly, I think the game effectively falls down most places they try something new. My least favourite levels were the two they demoed and the very last
epilogue
missions, which I would characterise as the more open levels that may/may not have stealth elements. Too many of the *open* parts seems less sandboxy and more just confusing. The linear levels, which in the end was most of the campaign despite the way they showed the game in the lead-up, were obviously more of the norm, but imo worked much much better. really enjoyed chapter 3, the
prison/over the wall
stuff, and
the return to helghan
missions. Seems everyone hates the later half of the game but I disliked 2,4 and the
epilogue
and really enjoyed everything else haha.

Just started Mercenary and already feeling a little more excited. I do applaud them trying new things and I do think the owl was great and adds to the combat situations, but it just lost a little too much of KZ for me. I already play Crysis, Halo, Far Cry etc., I like Killzone 2 and 3. I like this, but I probably like it a little less than the others.

Also, at least the game looks stunning, and does make you feel good about having your new ps4, instead of just making you feel like everything you're playing is crossgen ports. Looking forward to where the series goes next.

Yoshichan

What's the average framerate in this game? Seems higher than 30 but lower than 60?

thelastword

Banned
@eznark

I had no problem with chapter 8, it's not that tough man. Having finished the game I thought the campaign was'nt long or tedious, very enjoyable campaign, you just have to know the best methods of going through certain sections, remember you have quite a few tools at your disposal with the owl and remember try different strategies, use different guns, use your grenades.

Playing for the first time since around Thanksgiving, and I don't know if it's because I have my monitor now, but the game feels great. I was really critical of how the aiming felt but I guess it was mostly just because I was playing on a huge LCD.

Fuck. This game is so damn sharp and clean and gorgeous, hats off to GG. It's pretty much KZ3 CG brought to life. Also, the art director deserves praise. The designs, use of colours... it's a whole other level from the previous games. Wow.

Story is serviceable so far, and I'm glad they got rid of the dudebro characters and changed up the gameplay. It's really fun to play now.

Timu

So what do you guys think is the most visually stunning chapter? Chapter 4 maybe when you can look over the city.
These are my personal favs(my screens):

ibc1kh58O40jHD.png

ibo4eNaDpoTboy.png

iGI0Vws7PTUuJ.png

iZxxDZQbtQCa.png

ikyeP3Y5wqYGv.png

I was enjoying it right up until the last 30-45 minutes when it looks like they ran out of time and needed to tie everything up in whatever way was easiest and quickest.

When I dropped into this room and the music kicked in, it was one of those "whooooaaaa" moments…. like I actually said it out loud and everything (^____^)

The visuals in this CAN NOT get enough praise. They really are the best out there up to this point.

IvorB

These are my personal favs(my screens):

ibo4eNaDpoTboy.png

I remember this very room. I never would have thought such an operationally nondescript room could look so impressive. My mate and I were both blown away. And it was just some random room.

I remember this very room. I never would have thought such an operationally nondescript room could look so impressive. My mate and I were both blown away. And it was just some random room.

I think it's because the contrasts hits you sort of out of nowhere (along with the change in music). Up to that point, things are a bit more dirty and industrial.

BeeDog

I honestly think that bright/white room looks like shit in all the screenshots I've seen of it on GAF, but in-game it's pretty damn swell.

jey_16

Banned
Just finished it today....first few levels were good but the respwaning enemies in the last few chapters were annoying, it wasn't as bad as Killzone 2/3 but it's still grating. Game looked gorgeous but I kind of missed the full scale epic battles that we used to get. I'm glad chapter 10 came along because I would have thrown my controller at the tv after chapter 9

IvorB

I think it's because the contrasts hits you sort of out of nowhere (along with the change in music). Up to that point, things are a bit more dirty and industrial.

Yeah could be that too. But regardless of contrast that room does just look pretty damn fantastic.

twl

Banned
I wonder if there will be a sale on KZ:SF on PSN for Xmas or if it will just be the free MP-weekend. Been eyeing it for a while but not sure I want to pay 80*bucks for it.

*(season-pass for that online coop expansion)

I wonder if there will be a sale on KZ:SF on PSN for Xmas or if it will just be the free MP-weekend. Been eyeing it for a while but not sure I want to pay 80*bucks for it.

*(season-pass for that online coop expansion)

I really doubt it. I can't imagine, outside of PS+ discounts, anything PS4 is going to see a discount for a while.

Top Bottom