• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Since there was some misinformation on the last page.

If you use chapter select you start at your last checkpoint. It says "Checkpoint" in the corner and there are several checkpoints in every chapter.

But if you use resume campaign you start at the beginning of the chapter you were at.
That's such a dumb bug. They literally did the opposite of how it should have been done. Wish I knew about this when I was playing the first time. I was always making sure to play until the chapter completion so that I can be sure it will resume from there the next day I play :\

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's such a dumb bug. They literally did the opposite of how it should have been done. Wish I knew about this when I was playing the first time. I was always making sure to play until the chapter completion so that I can be sure it will resume from there the next day I play :\

EDIT: NVM, different issue

Grinchy

Banned

It's weird that I must have unknowingly played this way, because I didn't know there was anything wonky about the save system until I read about it here. I guess I always quit playing after finishing a chapter.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wouldn't mind Killzone:
Echo
I'll be disappointed with anything else.

She's literally the only likable protagonist the series has had, is becoming a fan favorite, and having a female lead would do a lot to separate Killzone from other FPS. It's a great idea.

Dibbz

She's literally the only likable protagonist the series has had, is becoming a fan favorite, and having a female lead would do a lot to separate Killzone from other FPS. It's a great idea.

Lucas was pretty good I thought. Nothing amazing or anything but for a guy who sneaks around blasting people in the face, he's good. Waaay better than Sev/Rico etc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lucas was pretty good I thought. Nothing amazing or anything but for a guy who sneaks around blasting people in the face, he's good. Waaay better than Sev/Rico etc.

Lucas is just boring and had the most phoned in voice acting I've heard in a while. I actually kind of liked Sev but Rico is atrocious.

Melchiah

I agree, but I don't want the next entry to
put emphasis on stealth.
If they can avoid it, then by all means.

I agree, but I don't want the next entry to
put emphasis on stealth.
If they can avoid it, then by all means.

cloak instead of the drone ? all day baby. Just like Crysis. Cloak to vantage point, take down enemies, empty your clip, cloak, move to another position behind enemies, take them down.

Just like predator. But a girl. In space. With guns.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Enjoying the campaign more as I go along. Taking it one chapter at a time, think I'm on six now.

The Owl really is the key to enjoying the game, pushing the mechanics and overcoming the often overwhelming odds. Contrary to what I was expecting from the complaints, I have the most fun when facing very large numbers of enemies as I need to put everything to use. AI is very aggressive and flanks the shit out of me regularly. There's some clear jank but this has gone from a game I struggled to even find the motivation to play to something I'm considering going through again.

My big complaint, combat wise, is the incredibly inconsistent cover recognition. It's a real shame, because one of my favourite aspects of 2/3 was how well they pulled off first person cover shooting. Gave a unique feel to the combat that is now lacking. Constant movement feels like it's now the emphasis for successful engagements, which is nice - preferable, even - but I don't see why a feature that worked fine before would now be so buggy. One wall will register as cover while the other will be useless, leaving me staring into the (lovely) texture instead of peaking over. I don't even bother using it anymore.

Story delivery is doing nothing for me and feels very awkward, like unedited film footage. It's a shame because there's obvious potential. Some scenes would even be pretty cool without the weird, long pauses, disjointed line transitions and underuse of an otherwise great soundtrack. You can tell it was all cobbled together in a rush.

And please, no moments ever again where the bad guy is ranting at me while I trudge through sections that are deliberately empty to make me pay attention. Not in this game, or any other.

Robso

If you use chapter select you start at your last checkpoint. It says "Checkpoint" in the corner and there are several checkpoints in every chapter.

But if you use resume campaign you start at the beginning of the chapter you were at.

Thanks.

Yes, sounds like angry joe is not that clever

Was Angry Joe exaggerating at all about the checkpointing being poor? As in, you die and go back to do large parts you've previously done?

EGOMON

Agreed. It was polished and well-presented imo. Don't get the hate for the story either.

Am I the only one who thinks this could be the end of the series? Would be fitting imo.

Id say theyre definitely in a position to take a break for sure. Mayne Cambridge is gonna step and take over though while GG works on their new IP. I certainly wouldn't complain about that either :)

^ This
I have been thinking that GG work with KZ is done and will hand it to Cambridge the guys over there are extremely talented just look at KZM.
There is still a lot to be explored in Killzone Universe i would like to play as Helghast at some point.

Melchiah

cloak instead of the drone ? all day baby. Just like Crysis. Cloak to vantage point, take down enemies, empty your clip, cloak, move to another position behind enemies, take them down.

Just like predator. But a girl. In space. With guns.

That's not really a Killzone game I'd want though.

meppi

^ This
I have been thinking that GG work with KZ is done and will hand it to Cambridge the guys over there are extremely talented just look at KZM.
There is still a lot to be explored in Killzone Universe i would like to play as Helghast at some point.

After Mercenaries, I actually would not mind this at all.

Kaswa101

Not sure.
it's not like it ended in peace. Echo still lives. Wouldn't mind a game based on her.

Spoilers:
That's the thing though; Echo still being alive at the end implies that there will be peace. Sinclair and Stahl both had similar plans and ideals, and were the only ones who knew about the weapon and how to use it (besides Echo, Kellan and Massar). With all of them dead except Echo, she'd probably be able to destroy it, or attempt to bring about peace on her own. Either way, a full-fledged game about that plot thread would be cool.

About the protagonists, I'd say Kellan was okay. Better than Sev, and as for Rico... screw Rico.
As far as I'm concerned, GG took a step forward for the series story-wise, and a game featuring Echo would be amazing imo. Only if the story is worthwhile though.

MazeHaze

Banned
I didn't understand the hate for this game, and then I got to the end of chapter 7. WTF, all these waves of enemies, my teammates keep dying, I keep dying. I must have tried this section 10 times and I just keep dying. Very annoying.

Kaswa101

I didn't understand the hate for this game, and then I got to the end of chapter 7. WTF, all these waves of enemies, my teammates keep dying, I keep dying. I must have tried this section 10 times and I just keep dying. Very annoying.

Spoilers
Is that the part where you must defend Massar with the VSA at your side? I recall there being a turret at the top of the building somewhere if you haven't found it already. But yeah, that part sucked imo.

Thanks for the responses about the save system, guys.

I was watching Angry Joe's review earlier and he seemingly hated the game. Said there's waves of enemies and the checkpointing is poor as you have to do the levels all over again. Along with not always knowing what to do, and having to back track.

Is the game worth persevering with, despite its faults?
Angry joe played the game like you would any typical COD and if you do that your going to get punished. Thips game is for thinkers, pay attention, problem solve, and get it out of your head that you should be able to win everything on your first try and you should be fine

Anung

Un Rama
Finished this on hard and grabbed all the collectables. I think I enjoyed this even more on hard. I actually found it a lot easier than I expected and some bits I was dreading turned out to not be that bad. The collectables themselves add so much to the story and a lot of feels to certain environments later on in the game. I'd never class myself as Killzone fan but this game has certainly grabbed me.

Ending spoilers + Next Killzone directions
Maybe killing Sinclair would stop genocide but it could raise tensions between them and the Helghast. Would love Echo to be the lead in a new Killzone game. Having a female lead in a FPS would be fantastic and being a half-breed would make for interesting story opportunities. Playing as a Helghast would also be a cool first for the series as the collectables make me more interested in them than the Vektans.

Muffdraul

That was still misinformation.

The game is divided into 10 Chapters. The Father, The Shadow, The Dead, The Destroyer, etc.

Each Chapter is divided into a few Sections. These have goofy names like "Do You Have The Intel?" "We're Getting Out of Here" "This Was Our Home" etc. The game never announces when you move on to a new Section. But you can always pause the game, and it tells you in there, under "Restart Section".

And then of course there are a bunch of checkpoints within each Section. Every time you hit one, it says "Checkpoint" in one of the bottom corners.

If you die, you go back to your last checkpoint.

If you quit the game in the middle of a Chapter, then when you come back later and hit "Continue Campaign" or whatever it says, then you start at the beginning of the last Section you started. The only reason you would start back at the beginning of a Chapter is because you never made it past the first Section of that Chapter.

Bumhead

Banned
Finished this tonight on hard.

I actually enjoyed the game a fair bit up until Chapter 7, but feel it took something of a nose dive at that point. I had issues with each chapter after this, with Chapter 9 probably the biggest offender. I have an increasingly low tolerance for ham fisted "boss" encounters and poorly designed enemy wave sequences in FPS campaigns, and Chapter 9 felt like an excruciating summation of all of that.

Chapter 10 was a vital and much welcome change of pace, though. The objectives themselves were kind of boring but the change of pace, abilities and
character
worked really well. I would love a full game based on
Echo
. That chapter did a lot to improve my opinion of the game, which was pretty low after Chapter 9.

Had no problems with the story and I continue to have a soft spot for the lore and world of Killzone. Chapter 10 and the possibilities it brings make it pretty much a certainty that I'll play Shadowfall 2, but I hope there are lessons learned from this game. Shadowfall was at its best when it wasn't trying to be a Killzone game.

TLDR; Overall liked it, story was OK, but some poor design choices late on and the final mission rescues from the sour note of around 30% of the back end of the game being complete shit.

I don't rage quit games, but this section did it to me. Is the rest of the game worth trudging through?

Finally finished the game.

I gotta say, after you finish the god awwwfful first 3 chapters it actually becomes pretty good. Chapter 7s wave of death was a bit annoying, but with the right weapons it's not too bad.

Those early missions though, damn, what were they thinking??

Spoilers:
That's the thing though; Echo still being alive at the end implies that there will be peace. Sinclair and Stahl both had similar plans and ideals, and were the only ones who knew about the weapon and how to use it (besides Echo, Kellan and Massar). With all of them dead except Echo, she'd probably be able to destroy it, or attempt to bring about peace on her own. Either way, a full-fledged game about that plot thread would be cool.
They knew about the weapon but it was not peace i think

Melchiah

Finally finished the game.

I gotta say, after you finish the god awwwfful first 3 chapters it actually becomes pretty good. Chapter 7s wave of death was a bit annoying, but with the right weapons it's not too bad.

Those early missions though, damn, what were they thinking??

Wut?! The 2nd and the 3rd were great, the latter has quite often been commended on this thread as well. Its horror aspects, and the more open approach in them both, sure worked for me.

Iceblade

Is it just me or is the multiplayer really... unbalanced and spammy? Matches just seem to degrade into a piled up grenade/slaughter fest every time. Sometimes it's worse than Operation Metro in BF3.

Grinchy

Banned
Is it just me or is the multiplayer really... unbalanced and spammy? Matches just seem to degrade into a piled up grenade/slaughter fest every time. Sometimes it's worse than Operation Metro in BF3.

Are you making the mistake of playing 24 player TDM? Because they could easily change the name of it to "unbalanced and spammy."

That's if you play TDM. Classic Warzone (or the 24 player variant) is much better.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Get to Classic Warzone. Don't assume more players equal better, this is the mode you want to be playing.

Ricker

I don't rage quit games, but this section did it to me. Is the rest of the game worth trudging through?

Well there is a section at the end of chapter 9 that might make you rage quit but you will come back and try it,if you made it this far...like I said before,I had a hard time with the free falls,that chapter 7 turret part(until you realise you have to go there) and the checkpoint reload in chapter 2,that puts you back at the statue instead of after the guys on the boat part...but overall,I enjoyed the single player a lot and would recommend it.

And after whining about the last stealth part and getting tips here,I did it flawlessly after 3 tries,even got the trophy for it hehe...

wizzbang

Banned

Is that the section up on the metal barrier thing with a large selection of guns? There's a canon behind you that you can get inside - that took me about 7 tries on hard as well.
Next level dude is DEFINITELY worth trudging through, wow.

Paertan

Classic Warzone is where the fun is. But I am thinking about starting another 14vs14.
All maps, classes, weapons etc.
Just other game modes to switch it up a bit. Which would you prefer? The score should be best of 5 I think.

I would say

TDM (is popular so best put it there)
Beacon Safeguard (never played)
Capture and Connect (since capture and hold is in Classic)
Search and Destroy (my favorite)

What say you?

EDIT: realized this is not multiplayer thread. Oh well xD

NHale

Almost 3 weeks after getting this game, I'm still stuck on Chapter 3 and almost no motivation to continue.

Absolutely loved KZ2 campaign and KZ3 was good and enjoyable despite lacking the atmosphere of KZ2. This one however is boring me to death.

Chapter 3 is something that immediately feels like the Designers played Dead Space 2 while designing the level. And Chapter 2 feels like Crysis.... I wonder what GG copied for Chapter 4. Maybe that's going to be my motivation to try to finish this game.

Ricky_R

Almost 3 weeks after getting this game, I'm still stuck on Chapter 3 and almost no motivation to continue.

Absolutely loved KZ2 campaign and KZ3 was good and enjoyable despite lacking the atmosphere of KZ2. This one however is boring me to death.

Chapter 3 is something that immediately feels like the Designers played Dead Space 2 while designing the level. And Chapter 2 feels like Crysis.... I wonder what GG copied for Chapter 4. Maybe that's going to be my motivation to try to finish this game.

While inconsistent for you, it was refreshing for me. I enjoyed the shift in atmosphere and gameplay, although the general pace left a lot to be desired.

SSReborn

Just beat the campaign today was playing on hard. Got to say I really enjoyed it though not perfect it was a really entertaining experience. I liked the abilities that they gave you as a player and the multiple routes you could take in some sections of the game I think all that stuff came together nicely. There were definitely some levels that weren't that great however and the story while decent didn't live up to the premise once again.

All in all I think it was a pretty good launch title.

Gold_Loot

Yeah, because nobody else does forests and space stations in their games..

Zen

Banned

Yeah just to echo what was already said, I found the opening chapters a fun change of pace. I hope they continue down this road, refining these ideas, while also getting the linear levels back to more classic KZ intensity.

Grinchy

Banned
All in all I think it was a pretty good launch title.

Yeah the MP for me makes it a great launch title. For all the bitching that goes on, people should think about what the launch would be like without this game. I guess if you're a big Battlefield fan you could have enjoyed a broken game for the first month+, and if you're a COD fan you could enjoy playing that and having your mom tuck you in at night, but outside of that, the launch would be terrible.

(except for the amazing resogun)

Just beat the game, was okay. Some bits I loved, (the OWL, open level design, the graphics) and there were some I hated (crappy story, disconnect between gameplay and cutscene, the freefall sections, the lame ass ending,).. but one thing was just buggging me for the entire game..

Why did Vekta allows the refugee Helgans to establish a military on Vekta !? it's just madness !

Kaswa101

Yeah just to echo what was already said, I found the opening chapters a fun change of pace. I hope they continue down this road, refining these ideas, while also getting the linear levels back to more classic KZ intensity.

I like how they changed up the gameplay throughout the game. Some of the freefall and zero-gravity missions were meh, but nothing that detracted too much from the experience for me.

MazeHaze

Banned
Is that the section up on the metal barrier thing with a large selection of guns? There's a canon behind you that you can get inside - that took me about 7 tries on hard as well.
Next level dude is DEFINITELY worth trudging through, wow.

Absolutely ridiculously poor design at that part. After trying about 10 times and failing every time, somebody on here told me to get in the turret. I looked for a turret to get in, but couldn't find one. Eventually, after consulting a youtube walkthrough, I was made aware that once the dropship arrives, THEN if you go up on the platform, a button prompt appears that lets you enter a turret. I would have never noticed that if I hadn't consulted a walkthrough.

ZaCH3000

I think the story picked up at chapter 6 during the
torture scene
. That cutscene was put together very well. It was the most pivotal scene because it finally established a coherent story that ultimately delivered in the end.

The first half of the game was clearly rushed. Now, I loved the direction and pacing. However, there was not a single transition cutscene that fully explained what the hell you are doing. At one point, there is a fade transition from a cutscene on Vetka with you and Sinclair to you blasting through space. The story lost me like this for the first half of the game practically.

GG, hell all game developers should take notes from Naughty Gods.

SSReborn

Yeah the MP for me makes it a great launch title. For all the bitching that goes on, people should think about what the launch would be like without this game. I guess if you're a big Battlefield fan you could have enjoyed a broken game for the first month+, and if you're a COD fan you could enjoy playing that and having your mom tuck you in at night, but outside of that, the launch would be terrible.

(except for the amazing resogun)

Yes definitely the MP is really great as well I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time with it.

Also a question about Chapter 10.
Does the game at any point explain who was in radio contact with Echo during this mission?

Dunlop

how the hell do you tell when the game is actually saved?

I put like 30-40 minutes in, have at least 5 checkpoints and then the f-ing game starts the level over when I try the next day

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
The first time this game angered me was at the turret part in Chapter 7. Playing on hard, it was impossible to beat.

Is it true that if you clear out more soldiers before entering the turret it makes it easier? If so I will do that before trying again.

The first time this game angered me was at the turret part in Chapter 7. Playing on hard, it was impossible to beat.

Is it true that if you clear out more soldiers before entering the turret it makes it easier? If so I will do that before trying again.
I think what helped me most was to get rid of the helghast below you when you enter the turret. There are two on each side. They will murder you as you are shooting at/ focusing on the enemies further away

Top Bottom