• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

How long is it and what difficulty did you play on?

I played on normal and if I were to guess I'd around 10 or so hours or maybe a bit more if you are like me and get stuck on certain parts lol. Definitely pretty lengthy for an FPS game. Oh and there is a sorta funny ending but I won't spoil it. Most people probably won't expect it so let the credits roll :)

Strider

I'm off for now but I'll be on tonight if anyone wants to add another Killzone player to their friends list and party up later...

PSN: Tstrider

GodofWine

Did you try the PS4's own party system? I'm still waiting to read detailed impressions

Its party chat...not party system.

I hope the game invites are actually effective, I have no ps4 friends yet to try it with.

I finally started to actually kill people in this, feelsgoodman.

I wish they had an easier to figure out menu / UI, maybe a tutorial explaining it , and maybe a clear 'Team Death Match' and "Domination' mode, just cause people are so used to COD's 2nd grade level menu's (which work perfect) they get turned off by 'not taking time to actually figure out more than 'click TDM'). KZ is almost as convoluted as some f2p games in the menus.

KZ'ers - add TheGodofWine

Edit - Game is so tactical, there's tension in MP...its awesome.

Does Killzone save checkpoint progress? I got 75% through the forest level and turned off the system. I just started it back up and I'm back at the beginning.

Loved what I played of online last night. I have one issue is that movement felt sluggish, almost like there the game was lagging, hard to explain. Looks like the character is moving faster animation wise than he is actually running. Like imagine if you were to run but took very short strides intentionally.

Still very enjoyable, but it was weird that I never saw that from videos, which makes me think something was up with the servers last night.

Edit: maybe I just have to adjust. That or start using that super sprint skill. Lol.

I love your vids. Please do the other modes? Like the no respawn mode (elite, I think)?

I REALLY want to see Big Warzone with the full 24 players

Why is the most popular mode locked at 14 players??

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to get into a Warzone with 24 players. I'll try the Elite mode right now.

btkadams

Does anyone know how the chat function works in this? I plugged in the included mic and turned it to the on position, but I hear no one in games and there doesn't seem to be any indication that my talking is being broadcasted to other players. Is there no chat outside of party chat?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how the chat function works in this? I plugged in the included mic and turned it to the on position, but I hear no one in games and there doesn't seem to be any indication that my talking is being broadcasted to other players. Is there no chat outside of party chat?
I'm trying to figure out the exact same thing.

Thanks!

I'm not sure how to get into a Warzone with 24 players. I'll try the Elite mode right now.

Are you streaming? Link me :)

I think people must be playing Big Warzone in private mode. I see it live on the Shadow Fall website.

GG only has those 6 playlists. I don't know why MP numbers are so low-- there only seems to be 1200 people online. I hope the population booms soon enough. Personally, I wish they'd rid of the newbie mode, and just let new players learn through bots/a training stage like BF4.

One of the biggest excitements for me is playing varied modes with the community. I always feel sad that I didn't get my mileage out of KZ2's DLC.

earvcunanan said:
Whoa... no one is playing Elite Team modes right now.

Figures! What gives?? How can there only be 1000 players online?

By the way, can you explain the other modes to me? The new ones? I know what Cap and Connect is, but I'm unsure of the other variations, and they don't exist in the default Warzone.

This might sound silly but I had this problem with party chat. I had to make sure the mic was turned on and more importantly, I had to press the mic/earbud cable really hard into the controller before it started working. Anybody else have that problem? I really had to force it.

tiddles

Tip for the beginning of Chapter 8 -
During the dive section, try and stay as close to the ground as possible - this will keep your speed high, and give you a better chance of dodging obstacles. Always try and go around standing buildings instead of over them - you will rarely have enough lift to clear the buildings unless they are falling.

Tip for the beginning of Chapter 8 -
During the dive section, try and stay as close to the ground as possible - this will keep your speed high, and give you a better chance of dodging obstacles. Always try and go around standing buildings instead of over them - you will rarely have enough lift to clear the buildings unless they are falling.

This part of the game pissed me off so bad. I must have died dozens of times.

IndustryX

Awesome awesome game! Love the open ended sp level design definitely a nice change from corridor shooters, you actually have to think, use your owl and be aware at all times, definitely has some challenge to it. The graphics are just stunning and a great PS4 showcase.

This game has been in my ps4 the longest due to a great MP. thus far the connection has been flawless, and you gotta love the chirp noise, war zone is great and I can't wait to see some of the custom gametypes created. cool idea seeing challenges completed instead of ranks for player status as well.

One minor quip is the player animations look kind of funny when compared to bf4 but it's not even noticeable after you get used to the game. Very rarely (once or twice tops) have I seen any frame drops.

Easy recommend to any PS4 FPS fan.
My personal best launch game

Note for all trying to get in game with a friend join a party chat and then one person enter a war zone then a prompt will display on the other party members screen if they want to join the game click options and then proceed to join, worked everytime last night for me.

Also if anyone is looking for some kz buddies who use a mic and are semi decent feel free to add me, could use some war zone friends! Industryx--

It's so awesome how close the character models are to the target renders we got before launch, I could stare at Helghast supports, assaults and Sinclair all day. So detailed.

btkadams

I'm trying to figure out the exact same thing.
Did some googling and there is no in-game chat. Found a Killzone forum dev post. It looks like the only way to chat with teammates is to go to recently met players in the friends area and invite teammates to a party. The cap of 8 means it's therefore impossible to chat with the whole team....ugh.

Gaz_RB

Did some googling and there is no in-game chat. Found a Killzone forum dev post. It looks like the only way to chat with teammates is to go to recently met players in the friends area and invite teammates to a party. The cap of 8 means it's therefore impossible to chat with the whole team....ugh.

no fucking way

Damn, you guys are making the wait really hard. These are impressions from just the last two pages. Evidently the negative impressions are very few and far between. But James Sawyer Ford's post is the one that kills me. KZ2 was one of my fave multiplayer games ever, and he's comparing Shadow Fall's MP to it? No just no. I refuse to believe it lol.

Believe it.

KZ2 was the best multiplayer game on the PS3, but it wasn't without its issues.

I'm finding that KZ:SF brings back what I loved about KZ2 (punchy weapons, weight, skill required for aiming, tight map designs, tactical teamwork required for success), and fixes what was wrong with KZ2 (controls, yes I got used to them, but they did not feel great, I put up with them because the rest of the game was so damn good). KZ:SF controls beautifully. It's like magic in my hands. Aiming feels perfect...I can lightly touch the DS4's analog sticks and it allows for very finely tuned long distanced aiming.

Recall that KZ2 had auto-aim. If you got your cursor close enough, the reticule would just go red and your shots would register. But in Shadow Fall, I'm able to make really finely tuned precise shots...it makes the one on one battles IMMENSELY fun.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does the game let you switch difficulty mid-campaign? I'd like to start on normal, but if it get frustrating I'd want to dial it down to easy

And does it have any gyro assist for aiming, like mercenary?

Yeah, unfortunately there are a LOT of oversights like this with Killzone: Shadow Fall.

The gameplay and everything is superb, but the way they handle the matchmaking and party system leaves a lot to be desired.

It's a damn shame.

Everyone on the PS4 is getting a mic packed in and there's no chat with your team mates??? IN A TEAM BASED GAME?!? The best you can do is be lucky enough to be in a party and chat with your friends?

What in the flying fuck, fix this shit Guerrilla, for real. Someone needs to spam @EboltGG because this is pretty unacceptable. Why can't they just MERGE CHAT STREAMS! Have a chat stream for team mates in the game, and also allow you to talk to your friends in your party.

It's also unacceptable for some of my friends in a party to have to wait for a person to drop out before theyre able to join our match.

Guerrilla has never been strong on matchmaking/lobby systems, it's such a shame they've had tons of time to get it right and this is the largest failing of Shadow Fall's MP.

Is there only the one freefall segment? Just finished the first at least and I'm shocked if that's supposed to be one of the worst segments in gaming like some reviewers have stated, got it on my 4th try and it was somewhat fun.

booo party system booo

That does suck. But I did read this on the Killzone forum...

You need to start a party chat from ps4 dynamic menu then when you join a game, everyone who is logged on in the game will automatically be invited to join you.

Also this is the only way to communicate in the game is thru party chat. Also you can join your friends games no matter the game using party chat and it will do its best to put you on their team.

Robot Pants

I think it counts for a ton. The SP is amazing, but it feels super old school in a lot of ways. It demands you use a lot of tactics and use the environment (everything is an arena, even if it looks linear at first) but doesn't explain them at all. Anyone expecting a COD type experience is likely going to be super disappointed or frustrated.

I really love the deliberate pacing though, the SP has been way more interesting and varied than any other military shootbang in a long time. Nothing is super original, its like a mashup of Killzone+Crysis+Fear in gameplay and mobility mechanics, encounter design and mood but great execution. The encounters are all set in arenas, OWL lets you set up decoys for flanking and there are some interesting mechanics to encounters that are just slipped in there and hinted at, but no heavy handed giveaways.

Spoilery tactics up through chapter 8 maybe?
You can drop a container onto the big mech the first encounter, just ask echo to snipe it out and time it right and insta kill. Later, the glowing shielded guys get their shields taken out by OWL flash.

Story and dialog is actually inoffensive (which is a big improvement from KZ2 and 3) and maybe even good? It's a return to KZ1 form for sure. Whole package might be one of my top 3 FPS ever.

Chapter 3? I loved chapter3...
I agree. I think the SP is great. Starts off slow with the prologue but once you're actually in the game, it's a lot of fun.
It's a lot better than I was expecting.

NotSaladin

Neo Member
Glad to hear all of your impressions. I'm still on the fence as to which FPS I should purchase first for my PS4, this or BF4.

I was dead set on getting this but the reviews for the game have scared me off. I'm just trying to decide now whether it is still with the risk.

I enjoyed Killzone 2, didn't like 3. Owned BF3 on my PS3 but didn't play MP all that much. I used to sink a lot of time into Bad company 2. Any advice gaffers?

Is there only the one freefall segment? Just finished the first at least and I'm shocked if that's supposed to be one of the worst segments in gaming like some reviewers have stated, got it on my 4th try and it was somewhat fun.

If you're talking about the one where you are avoiding spinning sections, there's one somewhat later on that is probably what reviewers were talking about. (Actually the whole level surrounding that was pretty much complete ass.)

That does suck. But I did read this on the Killzone forum...

Yeah, that's a massive oversight not being able to talk to team mates that aren't in your party.

This needs to be patched.

Glad to hear all of your impressions. I'm still on the fence as to which FPS I should purchase first for my PS4, this or BF4.

I was dead set on getting this but the reviews for the game have scared me off. I'm just trying to decide now whether it is still with the risk.

I enjoyed Killzone 2, didn't like 3. Owned BF3 on my PS3 but didn't play MP all that much. I used to sink a lot of time into Bad company 2. Any advice gaffers?

If you enjoyed KZ2, definitely get this.

It's similar to KZ2 but better.

Top Bottom