• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

There's only 54 people playing the 24 Player Warzone playlist?

Edit: doing a 1080p Stream on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQt6YTVHMY

Just testing some things out.

LAME!

I bet GG purposely made the main Warzone 14 players because some maps are so awfully small.

They need to get that 24 player Warzone onto the front page and just rotate the biggest maps. Because this is Killzone.

BTW, how do you feel about base suicide? Seems like there is no warning.

Just finished the campaign. Some sections are insanely frustrating and have to be repeated over and over, but I REALLY enjoyed this game. Much more than the reviews would have lead me to believe.

Dat ending.

And dem graphics.

Nope there are more. I really hated them too.

I assume they get considerably worse then?

If you're talking about the one where you are avoiding spinning sections, there's one somewhat later on that is probably what reviewers were talking about. (Actually the whole level surrounding that was pretty much complete ass.)
Ah ok then, hopefully I can get past it without issues. Reviews that talked about it said something like the "Free fall section" and the lead said that so I figured that was what they were talking about.

NotSaladin

Neo Member
Just finished the campaign. Some sections are insanely frustrating and have to be repeated over and over, but I REALLY enjoyed this game. Much more than the reviews would have lead me to believe.

Dat ending.

And dem graphics.

That is awesome to hear. What are your impressions of the story? Is it as bad as the reviewers make out? I love a good story for SP.

GodofWine

There's only 54 people playing the 24 Player Warzone playlist?

Edit: doing a 1080p Stream on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDQt6YTVHMY

Just testing some things out.

I saw a few thousand at that same time.

I dont think they show you all the players for some reason...maybe just the lowest ping/closest to your server location?

In BF3 I never saw more than a couple thousand online, yet in COD it was always like 200,000 online, dont believe those low figures.

edit - when do we get a gaf clan and the community thread going??

Timu

I loved this mission.=3

2e884242_MediaCaptureGame1X2013-11-1600-16-36-907.png

OverHeat

« generous god »
I'm not feeling the single player part of the game so far....the gameplay and mission structure just don't click with me so far I'm on the 6 missions. The graphics are unbelievable in some parts but meh on others and the most impressive part like the pan shoot of the city is a prerendred video :(

Cool! Ammo boxes restore ammo AND health!

Now if only we could get a health bar and an option to turn off health regen...

Fantastic stream, earvcunan :)

LAME!

I bet GG purposely made the main Warzone 14 players because some maps are so awfully small.

They need to get that 24 player Warzone onto the front page and just rotate the biggest maps. Because this is Killzone.

BTW, how do you feel about base suicide? Seems like there is no warning.

That'll teach me for trying to spawn camp near their base =p

Juraash

Finally (relatively speaking) got to spend a few hours with this game. Probably put in 6-8 and just hit chapter 4. I am loving this game so far.

The missions have some neat variety especially the one I just beat. Story wise it is probably my favorite Killzone yet, at least so far.

I don't expect a lot from a launch game, but this has been a great experience for me so far.

Regret not turning off the hud at the beginning of the campaign, this is the way to play Killzone!

Edit: Although it is yet another game to tie directional markers(ie, dpad up) to the hud making traversal somewhat difficult at times.

Borman

Just beat SP. It was alright, a few frustrating moments and the game doesnt revolutionize anything, but it was fun throughout. Id like to see something more like Deus Ex though so we can really explore some of these environments, I think that would be a perfect fit.

I'm not feeling the single player part of the game so far....the gameplay and mission structure just don't click with me so far I'm on the 6 missions. The graphics are unbelievable in some parts but meh on others and the most impressive part like the pan shoot of the city is a prerendred video :(

Pretty sure it is real time

Horrible news about the voice chat, I was wondering why nobody was talking in the last two games I've played. An I've only played a couple games but this feels so fun I could see this being my main multiplayer games.

I just love how getting seen and shot at first doesn't equal death. Firefights play out and you actually have a chance to beat people who see you first. I expected more than 200 online though.

Theres a company store selling sealed copies for $44 shipped on eBay...decided to jump on it.
Loved KZ2 and even mercenaries so I can't imagine this being any worse...

BF4 will have to tie me over until Wednesday

Regarding the ending:
Well, Sinclair isn't Rico, but he's enough of a racist shitbag that it may as well be him who was sniped. For Helghan and Kellen!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
The movement is so painfully slow. I don't know how you all can like it! Maybe this just isn't the game for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I have played about two fours of game so far, but a lot of it was replaying a forest area because I was trying different things. I found the game seriously impressive and very captivating. I *really* enjoyed playing it so far and I think something must be massively going south later on in the game to warrant such mixed reviews. To compare, I was bored to tears with the first two hours of BF3 and just couldn't keep playing it beyond that. KZ3 I powered through and disliked almost every moment of it, just wanted it to be over (MAWLR battle was fun though ) BF4 seems like more of that really, just kind if how KZ3 was, soulless machismo that they just didn't know how to pull off.

KZSF seems well above that so far, story may be kind of cliched and at times confusing, but not offensively dumb. More importantly, it plays like a dream. Controls are nigh perfect, Owl is fun to use, lots of freedom of what you can do and how to fight the enemies. First weapon that you get is so much fun to use with its chargeup alternate mode.

And yes the graphics - the game is simply phenomenal looking. I had my expectations tempered a bit by some if the reviews, I was expecting something to be off visually since reviews didn't seem to go crazy over it exactly. But now I'm left wondering WTF were they playing, as the game looks simply phenomenal both in tech and art direction. It looks incomparably better than KZ3, just literally not even worth mentioning in the same breath. NPC are animated practically better than anything I've seen, everything feels so full, solid, impressively lit, super detailed, atmospheric effects everywhere. The game is literally gorgeous, the area when the forest starts gave me that feeling that first Halo gave me, when you're dropped into nature in the alien world and have to fight for yourself through it. Best of all it's very cohesive, there's nothing that you can point at and say ah-ha, this ruins it! AA solution they're using is crazy good, there's been maybe one place in the game so far where I've noticed aliasing without actively looking for it. Hell, I was even looking for it in one place with the mesh wires, and even there I had to go through some extremes to make it look shimmery. AF is there but it's probably 4x. If I had to single out one thing that's lacking visually, that would be it. At rare times ground looks less than sharp thanks to this, but since the ground is almost always covered with geometric detail or some shader effects, this really rarely becomes a visible issue. Framerate so far never dropped below 30, it seems like it hovers more around 40 actually which gives the game nice smoothness and responsiveness. I don't mind it not being locked as in FPS I don't think the cinematic presentation matters as much.

nib95

Banned
Yeah, that's a massive oversight not being able to talk to team mates that aren't in your party.

This needs to be patched.

If you enjoyed KZ2, definitely get this.

It's similar to KZ2 but better.

KZ2 was my fave shooter last gen (namely for the MP), so this is music to my ears!

Justin

I never really played online on PS3 but was surprised to see that there are only about 2200 people total playing this online right now. Is this just because there are so few systems purchased so far? Not many people paying for PSN yet?

Arc

Second level problem...this is annoying.

I finished all of the objectives and now have to go to the dropship, but the event isn't triggering. My guys are just standing around outside of the armory and when I go to the objective I don't have the option to hack it. I've restarted from my last checkpoint already. Been running around frustrated for about an hour :(

Sorry if that's been asked already

OverHeat

« generous god »
I never really played online on PS3 but was surprised to see that there are only about 2200 people total playing this online right now. Is this just because there are so few systems purchased so far? Not many people paying for PSN yet?
You get 30 days of psn+ inside every ps4 retail box

I wonder why they completely got rid of the gore and turned down the blood in general. The shotgun headshots in 2/3/Mercenaries were the best in gaming, bummer to see them gone.

bjscott05

Is it just me or is the multiplayer in this game really quiet? Seems like all I hear are gunshots and explosions. Is there supposed to be menu music? ...just want to make sure my copy/install is ok

I think my initial impressions were off. I played part of the forest level and then skipped to multiplayer. I didn't like the intro or the bit with the knife. It was too long and boring just getting to the first gun fight. I really didn't appreciate being given a gun and then having to find ammo. The first few fire fights in that level are much too brief but there is a good reason for that.

The enemies are easy to take down in the open. They don't take much fire to kill and they are only really dangerous when cover is present. Their intelligence is centered around objects. Take that out of the equation and they go down fast. Add to this, the puny number of patrols (like 2-3 guys in each patrol) early and it is easy to see why I initially thought it was too easy. Later in the level, the fire fights aren't so brief. The levels after that are more tailored to the A.I. and provide a much better challenge. I really think the game is excellent in single player mode right now. I'd give it a 9 out of ten if it keeps up.

On a side note, is there a way to cut missions out entirely from multiplayer? I just want to run around kill shit. I don't want to hold spots or do anything else.I played a few matches but I don't know what the hell I'm doing just yet. I'm also having a hard time seeing some of my enemies at a distance out in the open.

Two complaints though:

Give me an extra slot for adrenaline packs. Also make the bot more responsive to my command to revive me.
Fix the font to make it much more readable. Damn, its hard to see.

butts

Really surprised how much I've been enjoying the campaign. I figured that this would just end up being a tech demo but it's been pretty great so far.

And the graphics, holy fuck. There are moments that look like high quality cg.

Ramirez

Good games boyos, had a lot of fun, aside from getting stuck at the voting screen and havin to wait on a spot to open towards the end.

Man, the bit where you
freefall into Helghan is incredible. Seeing the remains is really something else.
Didn't even mind the actual freefall bit once I got used to the controls, was pretty fun.

DoomGyver

Alright, soon after "The Handler" there is this skyfall set piece and the mechanics are terrible. I've tried this section about 20 times now.

Marshal isn't the goddam super man.

Helscream

Banned
I might have missed it, but do we have a Killzone-GAF list of players who will be playing online? Considering you can't seem to create a clan on Killzone I thought i would ask.

Alright, soon after "The Handler" there is this skyfall set piece and the mechanics are terrible. I've tried this section about 20 times now.

Marshal isn't the goddam super man.

Just make sure you're going down to gain speed when you're free of obstructions and then pull back on the stick to stay above all the buildings falling. Really easy once you get the flow down, think it took me four times.

Good games boyos, had a lot of fun, aside from getting stuck at the voting screen and havin to wait on a spot to open towards the end.

yeah, lets hope they patch in a party/invite system so you don't have to have one person try to join a game so you can send a game invite to the party and hope they see it/join before it leaves someone behind

Dysun

I wasn't feeling this at first last night, but I'm having alot of fun today. Campaign is gorgeous, and I'm really enjoying it. Not sure what people expected out of it, but so far it's my favorite campaign of any Killzone game.

Multiplayer has been a mixed bag for me, but I need to put some more time into it.

IcyEyes

Glad to hear all of your impressions. I'm still on the fence as to which FPS I should purchase first for my PS4, this or BF4.

I was dead set on getting this but the reviews for the game have scared me off. I'm just trying to decide now whether it is still with the risk.

I enjoyed Killzone 2, didn't like 3. Owned BF3 on my PS3 but didn't play MP all that much. I used to sink a lot of time into Bad company 2. Any advice gaffers?

Pretty hard choice. The MP of KSF is a blast, but I must admit I love BF4 too.

Anyway, KSF may be the best choice if you enjoyed the multy of K2.

Oh god, just got into an infinite death checkpoint loop as it saved as soon as I blew a hole through the objective but my positioning made it so that I fell and died. Haven't had this happen in a long time, lol.

Top Bottom