• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

X-Frame

I just want to echo the impressions of seemingly everyone else here; the Multiplayer is WONDERFUL. As someone who played KZ2 for months and months and yet didn't play much of KZ3, I can say it is definitely a lot of fun. I just played for about 4 hours straight and time flew.

I'm still getting used to what I need to do to unlock things, and upgrade weapons and abilities. I think I am going to focus on the Support class first, it seems to be the most versatile.

Also, nobody seems to be wanting to drop Spawn Points. My Spawn Point Ability is already Level 5 I think, haha.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I'm playing through the campaign on Hard and I'm having an absolute blast. It's so intense! You have to be extremely tactical, keep pinging enemy position, use your OWL smartly, use all the resources available to you, know when to retreat and when to press forward. I love that the game records number of deaths per level. Getting a zero death run is going to keep me engaged for months.

It's gorgeous sure but the level design is fascinating to me. It's relatively linear but still gives you the room to explore and approach skirmishes your way. This is NOT your run of the mill COD clone.

Honestly I'm loving it.

If you're on the search and rescue mission at the beginning don't
attack the armory until the end or else you're vsa dudes won't do anything when you're supposed to meet up there.

Typical mission bug. Nbd.

Why does there seem to be only like 1200 people online?

Server issues? People playing SP? I'm just wondering.. I want to be able to try the other Warzones, but with such few population numbers, it makes me concerned.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Yea the story is pretty much Riley shit. Lucas must be the most incompetent black ops agent ever. The themes are smacked over your head with a mallet. I do get the sense that they tried on a directing and voice acting level but the writing is so unbelievably flat.

The mad scientist lady in chapter 7 is just poor writing.

I honestly thought the acting was pretty awful as well, at times Sinclair's actor did a good job, but mostly everything was so cheesy and fake sounding. Was the game written by a native English speaker? I assume not.

Vidpixel

Yeah, the single-player isn't really impressing me so far. The graphics look great, but the game does feel a bit rushed for launch with all the awkward scene transitions and finicky A.I.

the first 30 minutes burnt me, I am highly disappointed with this game.

Instead of making me jump in like Killzone 2. They fuckin' shove this prologue story into my face then they shove me into a mission with a knife.. like WTF

a game should not take 40 minutes to start getting interesting. 2nd replay is off the table because of the intro, I'm done with this game. I'm walking around with a knife and no gun..okay, no i'm done

One thing I just noticed, after accidentally restarting my mission, is that the whole mission might play out differently depending how you go about taking on each objective.

I figured that was just PR fluff until I actually tried it myself.

ChawlieTheFair

Instead of making me jump in like Killzone 2. They fuckin' shove this prologue story into my face then they shove me into a mission with a knife.. like WTF

a game should not take 40 minutes to start getting interesting. 2nd replay is off the table because of the intro, I'm done with this game

What if I told you, the game gets really fun after those first 40 min?

Scrabble

a game should not take 40 minutes to start getting interesting. 2nd replay is off the table because of the intro, I'm done with this game. I'm walking around with a knife and no gun..okay, no i'm done

I don't know what to think anymore when people say games are slow or boring. Do some of you just have extreme ADD or something and need to be killing shit the first five minutes? Granted I'm someone who enjoyed the start to AC3 and didn't find it boring at all.

stevil

Very nice OP thank you.
Just wondering is Shadow Fall better than Killzone 3 . because I just played 3 and I liked the game. Not brilliant but entertaining.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
I may give it a 2nd shot for a bit. I hate games with slow starts, kills any propsects of replaying a 2nd time

Stick with it G_T. It really does get better once you get to the meat of the game. I don't know why they had those 2 levels to start. Probably some arrogant creative director who thinks he's a story teller.

Apeopleman

The multiplayer in this game is simply PHENOMENAL. Like, better than Killzone 2 levels of greatness here.

I just got done playing nothing but multiplayer the entire day and it brings back wonderful memories of how good this series can be as a pure mechanics driven shooter, which in the world of CoDs and BFs these days, seems to be something that's a bit of a rarity unfortunately.

Some were concerned about the recoil and weapon balancing, and I'm absolutely thrilled at what they've established here. It's hard to tell from videos, but the feeling of "punchy" weapons from KZ2 is back, and the lack of auto-aim means that the level of skill here has risen dramatically as well. Recoil is just perfect, I have to feather my shots in order to aim accurately, and it may appear a bit subtle in some of the videos but due to the lack of auto aim the recoil does have a major impact on the gunplay and weapon balancing.

This is not a game where whoever sees who first gets the kill, this requires a lot of skill, a lot of team work, and there's very little bullshit like mechs to fuck it up. The level design are great too, but I'd enjoy it if a few more were just a tad bigger.

The graphics on display are sublime. 1080p and 60 fps makes a massive difference, and thanks to the vastly improved DS4 analog sticks, this is the also the best playing killzone to date, control wise. Everything feels weighty, yet responsive, precise, and requiring skill. Loving the engaging gun battles I'm getting into! Everyone saying the gunplay is top-tier are absolutely correct. The gunplay is UNMATCHED in my opinion. It's simply fantastic.

Yeah this is going to be my go-to shooter for a long time. Guerrilla nailed it. Congrats to Gurrilla Games and multiplayer designer Eric Boltjes for delivering an amazing launch title that I hope has good word of mouth and tie ratio with PS4 owners.

Bring on the free DLC! Hope to see Salamun market in there.

Great post. I feel the same.

Sign me up for Salamun Market as DLC

glad to see bilgarsk boulevard back

ChawlieTheFair

Mehhhh I don't think it gets better man. The AI is awful. The level design opens up, but still boils down to shooting gallery stuff.

the AI has a lot of faults, but I've also saw it do some pretty cool stuff.

For instance, a helghast was behind a police barricade thing for cover shooting at my owl. He was crouched down and leaning against the cover with his back, so that he was facing away from the owl when in cover. I came up from behind him to flank, and instead of glitching out of the cover, standing up and turning to face me like in pretty much every other shooter, he instead simply shot me from his crouched position while still in cover, therefore continuing to avoid my owls fire.
I thought it was a nice little touch, nothing crazy but it was cool, ill see if I can get the clip of it.

Mononoke

Banned
This is probably a dumb question, but is there more to Multiplayer?

I kind of wanted to just play a simple Team Deathmatch, but whenever I find some, it's only like 3 people playing in each match. It seems like everyone else is playing Classic Warzone. And I'm just not a big fan of this mode. I guess there is Team Elite? Which is Rainbow Six elimination style. Anything else?

I've found the matchmaking menus to be kind of confusing tbh. I don't even like it once your in a map, and I want to see how the teams are divided up.

EDIT: Just read the post and reply above me. Gah damn. I wish I was loving the MP as much as you guys. I must be missing something. I guess I'll spend more time with it, and figure it out. =/

reKon

Banned

Is this post serious?

Jarate

Banned
My GF is wtching game of thrones ;/

multiplayer is awesome, I never really played a Killzone game, but man, the weight everything has is incredible. Normally I don't like slow FPS like this, but it reminds me Space Marine multiplayer, which was hella underrated

"slow and weighty" feels awesome, I might be able to see why someone wouldn't like it, but it's so good.

Also, the aiming in this game is superb. IDK if there really is no auto-aim, or if it's just the sticks being awesome, but man, the aiming is godlike.

Cess007

Man, you must have hated Half-Life 2. For like for more than an hour you don't even get a single weapon there :/

Anyway, i loved the Chapter 5 opening; it's just a really slow walking but it gives an incredible atmospheric feel.

Azull

So is there any clan type system? I am trying my best to get my friends to play with eachother but half of us just get stuck on the waiting for open slot screen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
the AI has a lot of faults, but I've also saw it do some pretty cool stuff.

For instance, a helghast was behind a police barricade thing for cover shooting at my owl. He was crouched down and leaning against the cover with his back, so that he was facing away from the owl when in cover. I came up from behind him to flank, and instead of glitching out of the cover, standing up and turning to face me like in pretty much every other shooter, he instead simply shot me from his crouched position while still in cover, therefore continuing to avoid my owls fire.
I thought it was a nice little touch, nothing crazy but it was cool, ill see if I can get the clip of it.

Yeah, the only thing I've seen the AI be dumb about is spotting you. The way they move, flank, and communicate is top notch and they catch me off guard a lot.

Is this post serious?
Normally I would tell people it gets better but if that's how he feels about the early part then he should just stop. I'm not much farther than he is but he'd probably snap the disk in half during chapter 3. There's going to be a huge divide in opinions on the SP in this. It's definitely a love it/hate it game.

We need a separate thread for the MP.

It's not KZ2, but it looks like a damn good hybrid. It's got that competitive, yet infantry focused ferocity that made COD so popular for me... no I haven't played it yet, but the streams are making it look fantastic.

Decent health + no aim assist + Spawn beacons all seem to be moulding the game the way it should be.

By the way, how useful is cover and sliding?

I wish GG would add "round" based scoring to the customization. I want to be able to make no respawn modes with alternating faction sides

My GF is wtching game of thrones ;/

multiplayer is awesome, I never really played a Killzone game, but man, the weight everything has is incredible. Normally I don't like slow FPS like this, but it reminds me Space Marine multiplayer, which was hella underrated

"slow and weighty" feels awesome, I might be able to see why someone wouldn't like it, but it's so good.

Also, the aiming in this game is superb. IDK if there really is no auto-aim, or if it's just the sticks being awesome, but man, the aiming is godlike.

Buy a PS Vita dude, do it! :')

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game just reminded me that I suck at using a controller for FPS games. I'm getting murdered in this first big forest area outside the damn and can't aim for shit.

camac002

Echo's facial capture is insane. That bit they showed in the trailer that everyone was making fun of seems to be the worst animation of her. During the game, her eyes can even have those real life micro-movements when you have eye contact with someone and they subconciously switch what eye they are looking at.

Top Bottom