• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

This game's opening 30 minutes are shockingly stupid. There are so many potentially interesting story concepts here that are absolutely squandered by the writing. The ham hands that were used to write this must have been gigantic and the acting is SO BAD

And how is this differentiated from just about every single FPS out there. People love to prop up HL2 as some kind of second coming but I just played that and the acting wasn't any better and nor was the writing. What the hell are people looking for in games at this stage? John Barth? Mark Twain?

I agree we need more writers but I could see this coming a mile away. We have never had a truly greatly written game in FPS imo. Some have come close but there are simply no great writers in games writing consistently imo. It's something that needs to change but acting like this game was supposed to change it is pretty daft imo.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
How could they make Secure the Target easier? I did it on Hard last night without taking damage. You just grab a Voltage, put up a Shield, and you don't even have to move.
Yes, that is when you *know* that you need to use Voltage. But you don't when you play the game for the first time. Ideally, the weapon should have been introduced in a cutscene and just given to you, because the scene is super-frustrating otherwise. The very least they should have placed a text prompt or someone yelling at you to get it.

This game's opening 30 minutes are shockingly stupid. There are so many potentially interesting story concepts here that are absolutely squandered by the writing. The ham hands that were used to write this must have been gigantic and the acting is SO BAD
It was IMO better in those terms than BF3, BF4, KZ2, KZ, any Crysis. At least it has some parallel to our own history even if comically exaggerated and hammy. Sure it's not great but neither is practically anything else in this genre bar maybe HL2-Ep2 and if you want to count Portal 2 (I wouldn't).

The game has incredible AA. Your TV is incorrectly calibrated. Turn Sharpness to zero.

I play on a beast PC with supersampling in near every game. If people think this is bad AA you need to retire because you are full of pooh. The MP could be improved but these are 400 dollar consoles. I am happy we have TSSAA going and so should everyone else. Jezuz man. Be lucky we aren't getting straight up FXAA. You know MSAA is about done for anything but sports games maybe.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yes, that is when you *know* that you need to use Voltage. But you don't when you play the game for the first time. Ideally, the weapon should have been introduced in a cutscene and just given to you, because the scene is super-frustrating otherwise. The very least they should have placed a text prompt or someone yelling at you to get it.

They tell you to go to the weapon rack and there's a giant rocket launcher looking mofo on it. It's pretty obvious.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
They tell you to go to the weapon rack and there's a giant rocket launcher looking mofo on it. It's pretty obvious.
They tell you to "Get whatever's there" true, but I already had good weapons with more ammo than what I'd usually find on those racks. They should have really said something more like that you absolutely must get a weapon from there.

calder

I realized I had been stuck on the last proper fight in the game at the end of Chapter 9, so I went back last night to try it one last time and cruised through. I cheesed the last room a bit by hanging back in the doorway and clearing out the first large group by abusing the OWL and pulling back for ammo and safety. This made the large swarms of reinforcements much easier to take on, didn't even need to use an adrenaline pack.

The end was... ok. I thought the end of the story was fine, and the last mission didn't annoy me or anything because it was pretty easy
Echo's stealth is pretty OP, I initially played it much more cautiously than I needed to
and just a post script to the overall universe plotline. GG seems to be better at world building and setting than finding a single interesting story to tell in that universe, or perhaps they lack the ability to tell that story in game.

For me, the main disappointment was the uneven, frustrating sections of the game and how there seemed to be a lot of them in the last few chapters. Really detracted from the overall experience for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I realized I had been stuck on the last proper fight in the game at the end of Chapter 9, so I went back last night to try it one last time and cruised through. I cheesed the last room a bit by hanging back in the doorway and clearing out the first large group by abusing the OWL and pulling back for ammo and safety. This made the large swarms of reinforcements much easier to take on, didn't even need to use an adrenaline pack.
As long as you get the Voltage gun, this fight is cool as hell, and not too difficult at all. I finished it on my 2nd attempt. But yeah, Votalge gun, this time I knew without anyone telling me.

Also, I liked the boss fight at Ch9 as well, very MGS-like, you have to be resourceful and think on your feet all time. I died there a lot, but it was a really fun fight.

DogMeat77

I am stuck and need some help... I think it is a bug so it is possible help can't be provided.

I am in Chapter 7. I have opened the hatch and the large hole in the ground. Now, from the video I looked up online there SHOULD be rope to grab on to to descend in to the hatch. No such rope exists. Am I screwed or is there something I'm missing?

jbbrKVSDZ7zhiH.jpg

EDIT: I just watched another Youtube Video of this part and it looks like simply walking up to the hatch and dropping in to it, should start a rope event. All that happens for me is falling to my death and splatting at the bottom. :('

EDIT2: For anyone still having this issue, try doing the "Restart last section". It will take you back to the beginning of the "Find me Massar" but not the beginning of the level. This worked for me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
EDIT: I just watched another Youtube Video of this part and it looks like simply walking up to the hatch and dropping in to it, should start a rope event. All that happens for me is falling to my death and splatting at the bottom. :(
All I needed to do there was walk up to it. Maybe try to walk into a different part of the hatch, from the other side. Otherwise, you'll have to load the last scene.

DogMeat77

All I needed to do there was walk up to it. Maybe try to walk into a different part of the hatch, from the other side. Otherwise, you'll have to load the last scene.

Thanks for confirming. I also found several people a 6 or so pages back in this thread having the same problem and even replaying the level didn't solve the issue. Shit shit shit! I was really wanting to beat this today.

I'll play through the level one more time I guess. If anyone has had this same bug and got through it please let me know what you did.

banjoted

I'm still trying to work my way through the first playable chapter but I'm finding myself infuriated by this whole "enemies will keep spawning until you disable the alarm" nonsense. I don't want to spend my time hunting out these sodding alarms - it's not like they're flagged up either. Does this shit carry on all game?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Really do like the game in a lot of ways. Just one downside that Ive noticed is the weapon sounds are nothing like they were in the previous 2 titles.

Id have to say KZ2 was by far my favorite. This time around they really seem to be lacking that punch to them. The railgun looking one we are stuck with most of the time sure no problem with that, but the rest of the bullet based ones do not have the same bite they used to unfortunately.

I wonder if the sound director changed or something with the project?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm still trying to work my way through the first playable chapter but I'm finding myself infuriated by this whole "enemies will keep spawning until you disable the alarm" nonsense. I don't want to spend my time hunting out these sodding alarms - it's not like they're flagged up either. Does this shit carry on all game?

Hack the alarms before you get spotted. Use tactical echo near them and they're marked with a white diamond.

Zen

Banned
Are the diamonds solid white as compared to all the other diamonds that are a border? I wish they'd do a better job differentiating more than just the enemies.

Update 1.05 is live

1469852_10202601522460595_274023959_n.jpg

Oh, very nice to see that they're tweaking the campaign in response to feedback. The game is clearly rushed to meet release, so awesome to see.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Couldn't help but notice that this has been getting a fair few more positive reviews on Metacritic these past few days... I wonder why. More quality time spent with the multiplayer component reaps better scores?
Yeah, the metascrore even went up a bit. I think/hope it's because the later reviews have not been rushing and could spend more time with the game. I can really see this game being frustrating to review when you're under the gun to play through quickly and deliver a review. There's several sections that you really have to repeat, as that are just flat out difficult, even if they are fair difficult, and also at least two that were unfair-difficult too. Being able to pace your play really makes a big difference.

Yeah, but if i don't know where they are how I can I use echo near them? It's driving me crazy.
They are usually placed in a fairly prominent positions, it's hard to miss them, in my experience. There's also not many places in the game where you even have to do this.

banjoted

I've typically really loved the Killzone games. KZ3 was one of my favourite current-gen (last-gen?) games, loved the weighty feel of the guns and player movement. But all this is doing is irritating me. Really irritating me.

Zen

Banned
Yeah, but if i don't know where they are how I can I use echo near them? It's driving me crazy.

There a spot (Tower?) you can go to that will disable all alarms on the map. Also the blue conduits on the ground will frequently lead you to good vantage points.

And how is this differentiated from just about every single FPS out there. People love to prop up HL2 as some kind of second coming but I just played that and the acting wasn't any better and nor was the writing. What the hell are people looking for in games at this stage? John Barth? Mark Twain?

I agree we need more writers but I could see this coming a mile away. We have never had a truly greatly written game in FPS imo. Some have come close but there are simply no great writers in games writing consistently imo. It's something that needs to change but acting like this game was supposed to change it is pretty daft imo.

Where did I mention that the game was supposed to change anything, or that Half Life 2 was better written?

Whelp, just finished the game...

Was underwhelmed by the end, to say the least but I'm glad Sinclair got his. I felt Stahl was underutilized and the fact that the Helghans were kicking ass on Helghan and then suddenly NOPE WE BEAT HUR was kinda weak. I guess its a good thing we didn't get any closure on Visari? This leaves her open for the future of the series...once again, played most of the game rooting for the Helghans, seeing those drop ships fall after "the weapon" is activated was awesome!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've typically really loved the Killzone games. KZ3 was one of my favourite current-gen (last-gen?) games, loved the weighty feel of the guns and player movement. But all this is doing is irritating me. Really irritating me.
Interesting - I couldn't stand KZ3, and I'm enjoying this game so much more. They really changed things up a lot, so I would think someone could feel the opposite way, easily.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Interesting - I couldn't stand KZ3, and I'm enjoying this game so much more. They really changed things up a lot, so I would think someone could feel the opposite way, easily.

Yeah, I like this one a lot more than KZ3. Say what you will about the free fall section, it's nothing like the third of KZ3 that was on rail vehicle sections with a random chance of success.

nib95

Banned
Just finished the forest level on Shadow Fall. The visuals are blow your mind good, and the gameplay is enjoyable once you get to grips with it, but I can see why many had frustrations with it. It is the ultimate throw you in the deep end game. There are so many options available to you, yet none are properly explained nor are you allowed time to really get to grips with them (no tutorial or anything). However, experimentation is key.

I've found the OWL's nano shield is the ultimate life saver. I can't for the life of me figure out what's happened to the cover system (have they taken it out?) so I'm using nano shield as a substitute.

The checkpoint marker system is a bit vague, but I like that. Explores you to explore and experiment, and I like that.

Only 3 things I've really disliked so far.

- There was a point where even though the drop was only a metre down, you'd die if you jumped to it. Bit of weak level design there.
- There is a point where drop ships keep coming until you jump on an air ship. They should have stopped coming after 3 and just let you get on the ship. or at the very least had your comrades continually repeat that you need to get on after like 5-10 minutes or something.
- I don't find the main rail gun fun to use, except in rail gun mode. It just sounds too weak and feeble. At first I was like, where has the amazing KZ gunplay gone? And all I had to do to get it back was switch to then weapons that actually fire bullets. Poor choice having the rain gun as your main (unswappable weapon).

Things I've liked.

- Sound design is unreal. Bass on, volume high, with the actual ballistic weapons, my word. Amazingly threatening sounds.
- Love that the forest level is so open. Didn't mind that the checkpoint system isn't super clear, as I liked truing to spot the marker and trek towards it.
- AI is competent imo. Only playing in Normal but I already feel this is harder than past Killzone's, mainly because of the lack of cover and auto aim. Takes time to learn the aiming system. No hand holding at all. And the enemies not only have realistic aim, but they routinely flank and annoy.
- Visuals. Ultimate ext gen showcase says Hi. Textures, lighting, effects, fire, explosions, character models and detailing, scale, draw distance. Everything is on point.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Just beat it today.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, but not as much as Killzone 2 and Mercenary.

What I really liked, but was also torn about, was how different it was compared to other Killzone games. It didn't really feel like Killzone for the first 3 or 4 chapters, then it finally kicked in later on. I thought the story was much, much better than previous entries, however. I miss the heavy feeling guns, though.

As the start of a new direction for the franchise, I liked it a lot. I just hope that the next game will give us more story and open ended elements. Still though, excellent launch title. I have yet to play MP, and I probably won't, as I'm not a multiplayer gamer.

Gaz_RB

Just finally finished after quitting this game at chapter 8 a week ago.

I really didn't like it. I had very little fun with it. Every time I started having fun, GG ruined it with shitty game design.

I guess that's a launch game for you. Mutliplayer is a blast though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished my Hard playthough. The patch for chapter 8 came at the perfect time since that was right where I left off. The freefall is easy, cool, and actually fun now.

Doran902

I'm sad to say I'm trading this in, I got to chapter 6 in the campaign and gave up and don't enjoy the mp that much. I don't think I could call this a bad game, it just isnt in line with my tastes. It is well made, gorgeous and plays really well but it isn't my style of shooter. I like the faster paced larger map shooters with vehicles(battlefield / halo), this game is just slow and heavy feeling. I can see why a lot of people will really enjoy it, to each their own. Going to get a copy of Windwaker HD : D.

The point of this post is really that I understand now why the reviews are so divisive, its getting some shitty reviews from people like me who just don't jive with the feel of the play as much as others who love it. My roomate adores this game for instance and I can't get him to leave it to come play battlefield with me haha.

Ilive1up

just finished up the single player.

enjoyed a lot of it, later chapters did fall short, but i'm happy with it.

multiplayer is fun too. i'll be busy with this game for a bit.

Man after beating CoD Ghosts just now, I can see why some folks used to that kind of game are crying about no auto aim. That game's auto aim is funny with how it essentially plays the game for you, but also points out and lets you instantly kill targets you can't even see.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've found the OWL's nano shield is the ultimate life saver. I can't for the life of me figure out what's happened to the cover system (have they taken it out?) so I'm using nano shield as a substitute.
They have pared down cover system. You can still crouch behind the object by pressing O, and that effectively puts you into a peek-over cover mode, where when you press L2 or push the stick forward, you peek over the cover and can shoot. Release L2 or the stick and you're back in cover. However, you no longer can peek/shoot sideways like you could before. The positive side is that you can just move away from cover now instead of having to unstick yourself by pressing some button again.

synce

So I tried to get into KZ3 recently and it seemed okay until they wanted me to control a tank or robot every other mission. I eventually gave up. Is there a lot of this stuff in SF?

Also, any good Echo gifs?

Kuro

So I tried to get into KZ3 recently and it seemed okay until they wanted me to control a tank or robot every other mission. I eventually gave up. Is there a lot of this stuff in SF?

Also, any good Echo gifs?

I don't think there was one vehicle segment in SF actually. Maybe
a little spider robot
but that's about all I can remember. Oh and I guess there is one when you're on a dropship but its very short.

Edit: There are moments when you're in zero gravity and its kind of like a vehicle segment.

I'm up to Chapter 4. This game is a bit messy. I don't remember having to rely this much on the objective marker in previous games. Most of the time I have no idea where I am or what I'm doing, but it sure is pretty.

To me, this game looks more impressive than Killzone 2 did in 2009.

Radec

What did they do to change it from before?

Killzone Shadow Fall patch v1.05 has been released! This update introduces several improvements and a new feature, based directly on your feedback:

The controller options menu now offers support for left-handed players. Please note that this change only affects the analog sticks, not the shoulder buttons or the triggers.

The end section of single-player campaign chapter 7, "Secure the Target", has been shortened based on player feedback.

In single-player campaign chapter 8, "Outcast", the collision ceiling has been raised to allow players to fly over certain buildings, instead of crashing into them. This should result in less overall player deaths.

Various bugs fixes:

Several UI issues fixed

Error messages in Multiplayer amended to have better indication of the error

Edge-case crashes related to friends lists fixed

Additional integrity fixes for the patching system

Patch v1.05 should download and install automatically, but in rare instances where this doesn't happen you may encounter an error message when you try to enter a multiplayer match. If this is the case, please reboot your PS4 to begin the patch installation process. The integrity fix included with patch v1.05 will prevent this error from reoccurring in the future.
http://community.killzone.com/t5/Ki...ne-Shadow-Fall-v1-05-Patch-Notes/td-p/1447897

Voidance

This is fast becoming my favorite retail launch title. I love the multiplayer and single player despite not being very great at either. I really need to play with other gaffers, but no one is ever playing when I start playing. :^(

This was the first game I fired up with my PS4 but I stopped playing after about an hour. I originally thought it was because I was playing on a huge HDTV (Panasonic smart TV) instead of my usual small viewsonic monitor, but the aiming just felt awful. Really clunky and laggy.

But then I popped in CoD: Ghosts and it felt great. Nice and tight and responsive. Killzone looks great but I still can't get past the way it plays. I don't know why I keep trying the series, I don't think it's for me.

This was the first game I fired up with my PS4 but I stopped playing after about an hour. I originally thought it was because I was playing on a huge HDTV (Panasonic smart TV) instead of my usual small viewsonic monitor, but the aiming just felt awful. Really clunky and laggy.

But then I popped in CoD: Ghosts and it felt great. Nice and tight and responsive. Killzone looks great but I still can't get past the way it plays. I don't know why I keep trying the series, I don't think it's for me.

please stop this

boohowc

Banned

It's the aim assist or lack thereof. Cod and other games basically make you feel like you are a better shot than you are. :)

CoD aims for you. Killzone doesn't.

Top Bottom