• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Just make sure to not have your back to this door when it happens and you should be fine. it's really not as difficult as some make it out to seem; just be patient.
For whatever reason I had a bear of a time durign this on Normal. I will definitely be employing your strategy. There's a truck-ton of weapons to choose from in the area. Was there one that you thought worked better than others?

Ricker

On Chapter 9 I think... man there are a couple of rough, really unfun sections near the end of this game huh. Unfortunate.

Especially after planning your way through it and all,took me a good 30 minutes,got to the cargo,I see a nice checkpoint come up,quit the game and when you come back,you are 2 checkpoints behind,at the start of the level and have to redo all that...I don't feel like doing it over for now..next time though,after killing a few guys in the first section,ill sprint straight to where you have to put the C4.

zewone

For whatever reason I had a bear of a time durign this on Normal. I will definitely be employing your strategy. There's a truck-ton of weapons to choose from in the area. Was there one that you thought worked better than others?

Keyzer. Used the scope and accuracy just to get headshots.

I did use the big chaingun for when the doors opened until I got overwhelmed and dropped it.

KalBalboa

Banned
Finished the game just now.

The campaign is definitely a C. While it has some great ideas, controls, and visuals... it's just too uneven and flat-out unfun at times.

This needed a little more time to cook, but the technical aspects were great. I'm probably trading this in for $40 at Best Buy tonight for Tearaway and a PSN card.

TyrantII

Would you elaborate on that last part more? I am quickly coming up on this fight on Hard and I am already stressing over how to best get past it.

Just use cover (say up against walls), sonar, and the owl EMP to disable enemies with shields. Headshot also bring down enemies very quickly in this game.

Don't fret, just stay in cover and use the echo sonar you'll be fine. If you get ambushed, use an adrenalin pack for full health and slow motion ADS. Pick off as many enemies close by before moving up.

banjoted

Right, call me an idiot but I'm right at the beginning just after I've been given a gun and it keep telling me that enemies will keep coming unless I disable the alrm with the sodding OWL thing. But where's the alarm?

pargonta

Right, call me an idiot but I'm right at the beginning just after I've been given a gun and it keep telling me that enemies will keep coming unless I disable the alrm with the sodding OWL thing. But where's the alarm?

there's one on a rock platform near the center of the area. you should be able to use owl to do the area scan, and then hovering over each icon in the environment will show what that item is.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Finished the campaign last night on hard. It was good, not great. Never really got lost save one or two points. Chop out a few things (free fall section, battling the bots with petrusite) and it would have been much better.

Also, ran into this little hilarious glitch.
http://youtu.be/rFq1frUbPdU

meanspartan

Ok, so unlike a lot of people I legitimately liked the campaign outside of a few trouble spots. Probably an 8 out of 10 campaign for me. I had fun, what can I say.

But let's say for a second that the campaign is as bad as many think it is. What I found troubling is that many reviews I read gave the game a 5, a 6, or a 7, seemingly focusing on the campaign and barely mentioning the multiplayer.

But when they DID talk about the multiplayer, it was (more often than not) positive.

So my issue is, how come Killzone gets a 7 or lower in many reviews for its "bad" campaign, while BF4 seems to have even have even WORSE impressions from reviewers for its campaign, and its reviews sit normally at 8s or higher because of its strong multiplayer?

BF gets a pass why?

Not to mention Killzone has been working fine online since I got my Ps4 on launch night.

I dunno, weird double standard. No idea how reviewers "choose" whether to focus on the campaign or the multiplayer. It all feels a bit arbitrary.

Ok, so unlike a lot of people I legitimately liked the campaign outside of a few trouble spots. Probably an 8 out of 10 campaign for me. I had fun, what can I say.

But let's say for a second that the campaign is as bad as many think it is. What I found troubling is that many reviews I read gave the game a 5, a 6, or a 7, seemingly focusing on the campaign and barely mentioning the multiplayer.

But when they DID talk about the multiplayer, it was (more often than not) positive.

So my issue is, how come Killzone gets a 7 or lower in many reviews for its "bad" campaign, while BF4 seems to have even have even WORSE impressions from reviewers for its campaign, and its reviews sit normally at 8s or higher because of its strong multiplayer?

BF gets a pass why?

Not to mention Killzone has been working fine online since I got my Ps4 on launch night.

I dunno, weird double standard. No idea how reviewers "choose" whether to focus on the campaign or the multiplayer. It all feels a bit arbitrary.

Reviews for this game will never make sense with my playthrough with the game. it's best just to chalk it up and move on.

My impressions:

+Visuals are outstanding. Especially lighting effects and surface reflections. I wasn't expecting to be blown away by a launch game, so its a nice surprise.

-The campaign is a mixed bag. There are some awesome levels, and some painfully bad ones.

?Jury is still out on multiplayer.

calder

It's a real shame the last few chapters of the game include the bulk of the bad sections... and that the bad stuff is so fucking awful. I just quit trying the last battle (I think?), it just wasn't fun and it was pissing me off. Considering some really annoying freefall leading up to it and the fact I JUST finished yet another too-long and painful extended battle I just couldn't handle it. I actually removed the disc and put BF4 in to try that for a while... I'm not sure I'll ever finish Shadow Fall now.

Ilive1up

i'm up to chapter 8 now. that skydiving sequence was at first fucking awesome (visually) but then it got really, really bad. must have taken me 15 or more tries to get that shit done.

everything before that part i enjoyed.

Calibus

Enjoying it very much so far. Only up to Chap 5. The visuals are unbelievable, especially the lighting effects. So glad I invested in a stereo surround sound bar and an optical cable -- those guns roaring are sex on my ears.

scoobs

Oh man.... Just finished that campaign. What a giant pile of garbage wooooooow!!! What the heck happened guerilla? I really liked 2&3, I'm severely disappointed. Literally one of the most painful experiences forcing myself through that story, yeeeeeeeeesh

Oh man.... Just finished that campaign. What a giant pile of garbage wooooooow!!! What the heck happened guerilla? I really liked 2&3, I'm severely disappointed. Literally one of the most painful experiences forcing myself through that story, yeeeeeeeeesh

Is that because of the crazy difficulty spikes?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Of course the game looks amazing and it has some awesome moments. I'm just saying they could of left out the entire first 15 minutes and it would of been fine.

Playing as a kid was just boring, I knew what was going to happen the moment the screen showed your father. And that whole scene with the transaction was terrible looking. I'm not discrediting their work because it looks fantastic. I'm just saying they should of done more with the military HQ like the other games. This whole father son thing reminds me of why next gen games become repetitive. It carries on like I've never seen a cut scene like this before.

If anyone in the industry reads this, pass it on. Not every game needs to start out like Fallout 3.

scoobs

Is that because of the crazy difficulty spikes?

Just everything.

- On multiple occasions I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, why I was doing it, or which direction I was supposed to be going
- Bad, disjointed story that is poorly written and acted.
- Boring gameplay that half of the time doesn't involve shooting (its a shooter btw Guerilla).
- Stupidly hard sections followed and preceded by stupidly boring and uninteresting sections.
- Dumb mechanics like power cores and stuff that take away from the action and are more of a nuisance than a fun way to maneuver around the map and kill big robots
- MY GOD THE FLYING SECTIONS WHAT ON EARTH WERE THEY THINKING!?!?
- I had to force myself through it and by the time the twist happened towards the veeeeery end I wasn't even interested and wanted to stop playing. (The end, by the way, is terrible.)

Okay, end rant. Never been so frustrated and disappointed with a game I had high hopes for.

Back to the drawing board.. I just don't think their attempt at open-world-ish gameplay worked at all.

Things I did like:
- Echo
- Graphics

TEH-CJ

Banned
Getting my PS4 tomorrow......and this thread has officially killed any excitement I had for shadow fall..god damn it

I still remember how hyped I was getting my launch ps3 and playing Resistance fall of man. GAF impressions on Resistance back in the day was like the second coming of Jesus and the game delivered in spades.

Its hard for me to have that fuzzy warm feeling getting my PS4 tomorrow. Not only is Shadow fall sitting on 70% on Metacritict but the general consensus seems to be that the game is garbage aside from the Multiplayer.

I will play it tomorrow with low expectations and I may come away surprised.

scoobs

Getting my PS4 tomorrow......and this thread has officially killed any excitement I had for shadow fall..god damn it

I still remember how hyped I was getting my launch ps3 and playing Resistance fall of man. GAF impressions on Resistance back in the day was like the second coming of Jesus and the game delivered in spades.

not only is Shadow fall sitting on 70% on Metacritict but the general consensus seems to be that the game is garbage.

may god have mercy on your soul. Play the multiplayer and forget the singleplayer exists. Seriously.

Mifune

Mehmber

Its hard for me to have that fuzzy warm feeling getting my PS4 tomorrow. Not only is Shadow fall sitting on 70% on Metacritict but the general consensus seems to be that the game is garbage aside from the Multiplayer.

Quite a few people in this thread have enjoyed it, actually. I'd say more likes than dislikes overall.

Grinchy

Banned

Don't worry, man. The SP is very enjoyable up to a certain point, and it looks fucking amazing. It's totally worth playing for most people. I think a lot of the frustration comes from seeing what could have been a really awesome campaign.

The MP is very good, very smooth, and very addicting.

Ellite25

Chapter 8 is just god awful. I don't understand why debs create these ridiculously hard sections. I just want to finish the fucking game, not play this insignificant part over and over again.

Elvick

Banned
So far I love the game. *shrug*

I think it's way better than Resistance: FoM was, and I loved that (and played it in 2008).

*2nd shrug*

coldfoot

Banned
Chapter 8 is just god awful. I don't understand why debs create these ridiculously hard sections. I just want to finish the fucking game, not play this insignificant part over and over again.
Difficulty depends on the person I guess. The free fall section was awful and I had to repeat it 40 times, but I still think this game is way easier than a stealth game like TLOU or even AC4.
Beat it on hard.

Ellite25

Difficulty depends on the person I guess. The free fall section was awful and I had to repeat it 40 times, but I still think this game is way easier than a stealth game like TLOU or even AC4.
Beat it on hard.

I actually did the free fall on my first try, but the part with the second guard tower thing (don't know what it's called) had caused me to die about 15 times.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The game is divisive but a lot of people, including myself, enjoyed the SP quite a bit. There are some rough patches but it's a good game. Knowing about some of the issues going in will probably let you enjoy it more. You've seem to let the negative comments get to you while ignoring a lot of the good.

Pistolero

Guerilla should hire some qualified writers and a bunch of game designers. Their art is good, their tech outstanding, their handling of MP well above average... but the rest is not up to par.

I shall be getting this in my mega bundle friday along with knack!

sorry if its been answered already but roughly how long has it taken people to complete the single player?

KZObsessed

I was gonna make a thread about this months a go but completely forgot.

Guerrilla Games have hired the former Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer of Obsidian Entertainment John Gonzales (actually back in September)

His profile states he was "the lead story guy on Fallout: New Vegas"

Narrative designer with extensive in-house game development experience. My focus is storytelling for open-world role-playing games. Because they are awesome.

Specialties
Narrative design, dialogue systems, creative writing, world design, documentation, voice direction.

Lead Writer at Guerrilla Games
Lead Designer, Narrative at WB Games
Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer at Obsidian Entertainment
Lead Narrative Designer at Ubisoft Entertainment (Shanghai)
Writer at Outrage Entertainment

More evidence mounts for a GG open world RPG. Personally I hope it's sci-fi or cyberpunk. I'm sick of generic fantasy.

edit: that was actually supposed to be a new thread nvm :p

I was gonna make a thread about this months a go but completely forgot.

Guerrilla Games have hired the former Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer of Obsidian Entertainment John Gonzales (actually back in September)

His profile states he was "the lead story guy on Fallout: New Vegas"

More evidence mounts for a GG open world RPG. Personally I hope it's sci-fi or cyberpunk. I'm sick of generic fantasy.

edit: that was actually supposed to be a new thread nvm :p
Hmn.... Damn, i'd love to see what they are working on..
No fantasy i hope, but judging on the taste of some of the artdirectors there i don't think it will be a fantasy setting.
It will involve tech, distopian worldviews i think. And lighting. Lots of cool lighting.

What the hell at this save system again...I am on chapter 9,cleared the unit,the cargo area and everything,I leave the game open and I leave the PS4 on standby and now I come back and I am at the start of the whole Destroyer chapter again,jesus...why is it so hard to at least let the checkpoint stick,I really dont understand...

you should just use the chapter select instead of the Resume game option. i never used it on my playthroughs and there isn't any point because you don't keep weapons from chapter to chapter anyway.

what I did at the mid-point of this section is wait near the door with all the Higs outside. As soon as they come in I sent Owl to stun them and hit adrenaline to try and get outside where the ship is. once your out there you can just pick them off and not worry about flanking enemies

jet1911

Just finished the SP (credits are rolling). First half of the game is really great. Other half range from "meh" to "baaaaaaaaaaad". Chapter 8 was a piece of shit. The ending is really bad. You know that feeling when something happens and your left thinking "..............."

That's what happened here. The story doesn't make any sense, at all.

First half of the game 8/10, great levels, great design amazing gunplay and fun scenarios. Other half is bizzaro land, bad levels, shit boss fight, overused annoying game mechanics. At least the games looks good from start to finish. I'd give it a 6/10.

D6AMIA6N

I just wanted to chime in...was underwhelmed by the gameplay of the forest level, then pleasantly surprised. That is until Chapter 8. It's like I'm getting spawn camp killed. I suck at the freefall section and it's just really turned me off. What the hell is even going on? Why is everything falling apart? Did I miss something? Not sure if I'll be able to bring myself to finish it. Awful.

My suggestion...

may god have mercy on your soul. Play the multiplayer and forget the singleplayer exists. Seriously.
Don't listen to this guy and enjoy the single player, like most of us did. The story certainly has some rough patches, but its far from the doom and gloom train wreck some people would have you believe.

what I did at the mid-point of this section is wait near the door with all the Higs outside. As soon as they come in I sent Owl to stun them and hit adrenaline to try and get outside where the ship is. once your out there you can just pick them off and not worry about flanking enemies
This is exactly what I wound up doing last night, when I got to that section. I missed all of the replies, but thanks to everyone that offered their advice.

I really really like this game. I know it's been "love it or meh it" series, but I've had such a blast. I've been vocal about this on the forums before, but I found the KillZone games to be boring affairs with some of the worst storylines and characters I've ever witnessed in a video game. So, naturally, I didn't have high expectations for Shadow Fall. However, I have been pleasantly surprised at the story and characters. Echo easily steals the show, of course.

I think SF does a much better job of making us actually feel sympathetic for the Helghast than the previous games. Which has only reinforced my feelings that the Vektans were the true bad guys in this series. I mean, the Vektans nuked an entire planet, performing mass genocide. You don't get much more evil than that.

I was very satisfied with the ending, too. And for argument's sake, I'll treat the final chapter as the "ending." Granted, the Kill Zone series has just been a Hatfield & McCoys in the future, and the ending further reinforces it, but the execution of it all just really jived with me.

Now bear in mind, I'm not saying that the caliber of Shadow Fall's writing, acting, or storyline is Grade A material, I am simply saying I found it to be entertaining and enjoyable, especially when pitted against the previous series' offerings.

MMaRsu

I sent a tweet to Steven ter Heide asking about team based voice chat implementation, and he replied back to me saying soon there will be some info about it.

Nice :).

I have been stearing clear of this thread to avoid any spoilers, but I'm still pretty excited about this game. Me and my brother from another mother Homez is also getting this game and like a reminder of the good old Shadowrun games we are going to tear shit up GAF style.

I would appreciate a DLC story campaign that revolves around Saric, considering he vanished 1/2 through the campaign.

kzsf_fe_2013-11-08_helghast-security_06.jpg

- J - D -

I finished this game last night. I dragged my feet when it came to progressing the single-player campaign because I spent the past week enjoying myself more in MP. Now that I've finished it, I think I'm fairly content with what GG has delivered overall. KZ SF's SP is like a perfectly decent pizza otherwise mired with scattered bits of anchovies in it. Or a banana that you're enjoying a banana until you peel it down further and discover a couple rather unseemly bruise underneath.

The game has some nice set pieces, and arguably the best-looking location plays home to the best missions. All of the chapters set within or just outside Vekta City were probably the best in the game. I'm particularly talking about the Forest Mission, The ISA HQ mission, the hostage-rescue mission, the train sequence, and the final mission.

The chapters set on the Helghan side of the wall weren't quite as good. The slums had a fantastic visual design, but something about the layouts are just the missions themselves weren't interesting...until you get with Echo. The segments where she's providing sniping assist were pretty fun.

Those are the best moments of KZ SF. Outside of those legitimately good segments I mentioned above and the unfortunately terrible end-game chapters, most of the game feels like by-the-numbers busywork, and the lack of a well-told story amplifies the feeling even moreso. The KZ series has never been known for great story-telling, but it had a distinct identity. Ironically the story, setting, and art design in KZ SF that opened more eyes to the series also made it feel like a rather generic sci-fi universe.

I really wish GG had fleshed out the world some more, and spent more time with world-building. Vekta City looks great, but it's a rather hollow and uninteresting place because its less a city than it is a backdrop for shooting things. Maybe it's the wrong genre for it, but I want a game that lets you explore a futuristic metropolis like Vekta City, in the same way you're allowed to in places like The Citadel from Mass Effect -- where there are interesting things to interact with.

Anyway, I didn't find any of the characters in KZ SF interesting at all. Echo, for what little character she has, brings more to the table than anyone else in the story. I feel like she's a character that needed a better game/story to have really shined, because her design and voice acting were probably the best in the game.
In this regard I'm glad the game closes out with her at the forefront and not Kellan, who I couldn't care less for when he died.

Tired of structuring thoughts, here's the rest of em listed:

-Game is beautiful, obviously. Wish it had better AA though.
-over-reliance on activating/deactivating power nodules. Felt like busy-work.
-Lots of abrupt story jumps and poorly executed chapter transitions.
-Didn't have a problem with the free-fall part. Finished on first try. I thought it was an okay way to transition the action to a new locale (and Helghan is a really beautiful ruin.)
-AI was disappointingly not as smart as it was in previous KZ's, even on Hard.
-Zero-gravity segments were not fun to play. Slow and plodding.
-Orbital platform segments (or space stations) were the most boring points in the game.
-The game's reveal of the fate of Sev and Rico was sadly brief and easy to miss.
-The comic pages you pick up were pretty cool.
-OWL mechanics not as well-implemented as I'd hoped.

So all-in-all I'm fairly sure I appreciated my time with KZ SF, but I'd be okay if this were the last Killzone game. I don't think there's much else GG could do with the universe that hasn't already been covered. I look forward to their attempt at an RPG, especially if they nabbed a good writer for the process.

Top Bottom