• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

- J - D -

Wait, what? I missed this! Can you please spoiler tag a summary and/or where it's located?

You find
a newspaper revealing that Sev and Rico have been on on the run after the events of KZ3, and that the ISA have disavowed their actions.
that's it, really.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seriously, Chapter 8
freefall.
WTF?! Any tips? This seems impossible.
Man, I died during first five seconds of that freefal probably 20 times last night. Then I figured that when I push left I actually DO go left! For all those retries I was 100% under impression that they reversed the controls and that for some stupid reason pulling left moves me right, and was pissed off about it, even tried flipping the controller upside down to reverse the controls. But when I realized that left=left and right=right, I finished the whole sequence on my 2nd attempt. And I actually think it was quite fun and want to replay it now. I know this makes me sound like a complete moron, but so many people are repeat-dying at this scene probably for the similar reason that they have no idea how to control or where to go early on. When you figure out those first 5-10 seconds the rest of that scene is literally a piece of cake.

Ah yes, don't forget to press O to activate air brakes. Game tells you to do that but it's possible to miss it in all that chaos and frustration.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was gonna make a thread about this months a go but completely forgot.

Guerrilla Games have hired the former Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer of Obsidian Entertainment John Gonzales (actually back in September)

His profile states he was "the lead story guy on Fallout: New Vegas"

More evidence mounts for a GG open world RPG. Personally I hope it's sci-fi or cyberpunk. I'm sick of generic fantasy.

edit: that was actually supposed to be a new thread nvm :p

OK, now I'm pumped. I was hoping they were working on an RPG but was worried they wouldn't have a writer to pull it off.

Shapingo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acVy4s_5E_8

I did this on the hardest difficulty. Then ran back to the beginning.

Did you know that you can run through the door when the Helghast enter. There is a dossier on the platform on the left. I beat this room with the rail gun when the four entered on the left (mowed them down), ran through the door, turned right immediately and killed the four helghast on the platform across the one I was on, entering on the other side of the room.

The weird thing is the drop ships are through the doors on the platform but you have to re-enter the room to get the second wave to spawn. I just used the same strategy as above and killed them all.

This room is very easy doing this strategy, I'm not sure if it is a glitch. It can't be since they put a collectable item out there on the platform.

Seriously, Chapter 8
freefall.
WTF?! Any tips? This seems impossible.
As a general rule, tend to stay high and toward the left as much as possible (there will be a handful of obvious sections where you shouldn't, but they're easy to spot and memorize). I read someone say that earlier in the thread and applied that myself and I didn't have much trouble with the section (and I had to do it twice due to the checkpoint system after quitting in-chapter yesterday). And don't forget to use the brakes relatively frequently.

duxstar

Been playing the multiplayer and its incredibly frustrating , people dont understand the value of spawn points. Is this where we are trading gamertags so hopefully its not as bad going forward ? Mines duxstar

No Love

Banned
-Game is beautiful, obviously. Wish it had better AA though.
-over-reliance on activating/deactivating power nodules. Felt like busy-work.
-Lots of abrupt story jumps and poorly executed chapter transitions.
-Didn't have a problem with the free-fall part. Finished on first try. I thought it was an okay way to transition the action to a new locale (and Helghan is a really beautiful ruin.)
-AI was disappointingly not as smart as it was in previous KZ's, even on Hard.
-Zero-gravity segments were not fun to play. Slow and plodding.
-Orbital platform segments (or space stations) were the most boring points in the game.
-The game's reveal of the fate of Sev and Rico was sadly brief and easy to miss.
-The comic pages you pick up were pretty cool.
-OWL mechanics not as well-implemented as I'd hoped.

So all-in-all I'm fairly sure I appreciated my time with KZ SF, but I'd be okay if this were the last Killzone game. I don't think there's much else GG could do with the universe that hasn't already been covered. I look forward to their attempt at an RPG, especially if they nabbed a good writer for the process.

The game has incredible AA. Your TV is incorrectly calibrated. Turn Sharpness to zero.

if they do continue this series, lay off the ISA protagonists for a while.
have Echo continue the story from her point of view after the assassination. I don't know about every game in the series but one based on the Helghast would be welcomed.

Man, I died during first five seconds of that freefal probably 20 times last night. Then I figured that when I push left I actually DO go left! For all those retries I was 100% under impression that they reversed the controls and that for some stupid reason pulling left moves me right, and was pissed off about it, even tried flipping the controller upside down to reverse the controls. But when I realized that left=left and right=right, I finished the whole sequence on my 2nd attempt. And I actually think it was quite fun and want to replay it now. I know this makes me sound like a complete moron, but so many people are repeat-dying at this scene probably for the similar reason that they have no idea how to control or where to go early on. When you figure out those first 5-10 seconds the rest of that scene is literally a piece of cake.

Ah yes, don't forget to press O to activate air brakes. Game tells you to do that but it's possible to miss it in all that chaos and frustration.

oh man... why? T_T

Elginer

OK, I feel stupid as I really have been thinking that left was right and right was left. It just felt like that... and I don't know why. I'm gonna try this and I didn't even know there was air brakes. I totally missed that LOL.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So I played through chapter 7 and 8 last night, now at the beginning of Chapter 9.

The end of Chapter 7 and the freefall sequence of Ch8 (which I described my experience with above) were bad for me. Just punishingly bad, I died probably 30 times at each.

End of Ch7, they should have just put a message to grab the Voltage gun from the nearby weapons assortment. Yes, I know your ally tells you to go grab a weapon from there, but he should have really been specific, becaue to me it seems like the sequence is completely unbeatable without using that gun. It's not that easy even with it, but it's much more fair.

OK, I feel stupid as I really have been thinking that left was right and right was left. It just felt like that... and I don't know why. I'm gonna try this and I didn't even know there was air brakes. I totally missed that LOL.
I literally have no idea what to think about this, why I thought it was like that. I guess he kind of banks to the right but really flies off to the left.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So I've managed to solve the issues with image judder in this and Knack simply by routing the video through a capture card and limiting AmarecTV to 29.97 fps. The results? A perfectly even 30 fps with no judder. In single player mode, I think it looks much better.

Would prefer a real limiter in the options, though.

I think the problems many people are having with the freefall section is that they're conditioned to use the sticks as if they are piloting an aircraft. I always change the stick layout for jets in Battlefield because of this. down on the stick should point the nose up.

I know the guy is free falling but it has the sensation of flight. so, I'm also getting mixed up and constantly hitting the wrong direction.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So I've managed to solve the issues with image judder in this and Knack simply by routing the video through a capture card and limiting AmarecTV to 29.97 fps. The results? A perfectly even 30 fps with no judder. In single player mode, I think it looks much better.

Would prefer a real limiter in the options, though.
Knack has unlocked framerate like KZ, right? But it has problem similar to NFS where the later frame renders beforehand, sometimes? (which is not the case in KZ). Won't you lose control responsiveness by doing what you did? I think the feel of smootheness and responsivenes in KZ is really nice thanks to higher framerate.

Showaddy

I would appreciate a DLC story campaign that revolves around Saric, considering he vanished 1/2 through the campaign.

kzsf_fe_2013-11-08_helghast-security_06.jpg

Heh I wouldn't bet on it, after Natko disappeared in Killzone 3 without a trace I've come to expect this sort of thing from GG in regards to their characters.

Ellite25

HELP in Chapter 8

So I just finished the part
After you see Tyran being taken off by the dropship
where you have to take out one of those big turret things again. So I did that, and the game indicator telling me where to go is at like the top of a bridge.

I can't figure out where to go, so I watched a walkthrough video and in the video when the dude destroyed the turret,
Echo
opened upon of those things that allows you to float through the air and he got to where the marker is. This didn't happen for me, am I missing something or did the game just fuck up?

HELP in Chapter 8

So I just finished the part
After you see Tyran being taken off by the dropship
where you have to take out one of those big turret things again. So I did that, and the game indicator telling me where to go is at like the top of a bridge.

I can't figure out where to go, so I watched a walkthrough video and in the video when the dude destroyed the turret,
Echo
opened upon of those things that allows you to float through the air and he got to where the marker is. This didn't happen for me, am I missing something or did the game just fuck up?

yea after the sentry is destroyed the ground should open up allowing you to float up. try restarting the check point

Ellite25

yea after the sentry is destroyed the ground should open up allowing you to float up. try restarting the check point

I figured as much. Just great. These are probably the worst parts of the game too.

Edit: Restarted the checkpoint and it worked right away. Wasn't too bad after all.

So I played through chapter 7 and 8 last night, now at the beginning of Chapter 9.

The end of Chapter 7 and the freefall sequence of Ch8 (which I described my experience with above) were bad for me. Just punishingly bad, I died probably 30 times at each.

End of Ch7, they should have just put a message to grab the Voltage gun from the nearby weapons assortment. Yes, I know your ally tells you to go grab a weapon from there, but he should have really been specific, becaue to me it seems like the sequence is completely unbeatable without using that gun. It's not that easy even with it, but it's much more fair.

I literally have no idea what to think about this, why I thought it was like that. I guess he kind of banks to the right but really flies off to the left.
Oh god I hated that freefall section. How is that even considered fun?

And yeah, I had no idea I was supossed to get into that big mech gun thing until about 15 deaths and even then dudes would climb the stairs and shoot me from the walk way until I caught on that they were there.

MDSLKTR

So that freefall section everybody whining about? I got to that mission yesterday and I passed it in exactly two tries, half asleep and stoned on top of that. Seriously guys get better.

witness

So I bought this off the PSN store today, my first retail PS4 title, and gotdamn does it look amazing. So the intro while slow was set up nicely I felt. I liked how they just throw you into that big forest mission as your first go at it. I never got lost or anything like that, and the Owl is amazing. That little dude is a life saver for sure. So to continue downloading the rest of the game, I need to keep the game running? I would like the option to just have the rest download to the system while its in standby mode.

TyrantII

I sent a tweet to Steven ter Heide asking about team based voice chat implementation, and he replied back to me saying soon there will be some info about it.

Nice :).

I have been stearing clear of this thread to avoid any spoilers, but I'm still pretty excited about this game. Me and my brother from another mother Homez is also getting this game and like a reminder of the good old Shadowrun games we are going to tear shit up GAF style.

Please vote on this as well!

Bring back KZ2's proximity chat: https://feedback.killzone.com/forum...052810-please-bring-back-kz2-s-proximity-chat

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So that freefall section everybody whining about? I got to that mission yesterday and I passed it in exactly two tries, half asleep and stoned on top of that. Seriously guys get better.

Was it the chapter 7 or chapter 8 free fall? 7's is easy, 8's is a pain.

The freefall section was one of the least difficult and refreshing sections of the game. if you had trouble with it then I quote the guy above me "get better"

Zen

Banned
Really been enjoying the game though having gotten

captured and now on the verge of getting out with echo, I have to say that this latest chapter hasn't been very good. The one where instead of having the OWL you are calling echo to snipe enemies and using spidermines. The tactical echo needs to be far more obvious about calling out supplies, alarm posts, and spider mines, not just enemies.

Really been enjoying it, but I do feel like it has clearly been rushed for launch. I absolutely LOVED chapter 2, but even going down into the slum city, the scenarios are feeling a little under developed. I can only imagine if you had actually had civilians attacking you and not just Red Hand goons. It had fantastic music and encounters but the homage to DREDD could have done so much more

I don't get people who are apparently confused about their objectives/where to go/what to do. Just hitting up on your Dpad shows you and holding up gives you a summary. There have been a few times where I did have to stop to double check, but it was nothing major (though it could be improved for the next game) and is refreshing from the brain dead modern FPS shit that we usually get, that crap puts me to sleep.

maneil99

Open world Sci Fi game in the Killzone Universe wouldn't be a terrible idea. Lots of backstory, could be like mass effect instead of a FPS. maybe after shadowfall or during the initial discovery and fight over Vekta and Helgan wit the UEA ( Earth has the best tech vs ISA and Helghan but doesn't have many troops ) vs Helghast

Couldn't help but notice that this has been getting a fair few more positive reviews on Metacritic these past few days... I wonder why. More quality time spent with the multiplayer component reaps better scores?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Open world Sci Fi game in the Killzone Universe wouldn't be a terrible idea. Lots of backstory, could be like mass effect instead of a FPS. maybe after shadowfall or during the initial discovery and fight over Vekta and Helgan wit the UEA ( Earth has the best tech vs ISA and Helghan but doesn't have many troops ) vs Helghast

They've outright said their next game is a new IP that's very different from Killzone. I don't think it'll just be a different genre in the KZ universe. I would love to see Earth vs. Vekta in a big battle for the series finale though.

MDSLKTR

That everybody warned you about?

would be hilarious if he was actually referring to an earlier free-fall
I was referring to the chapter 8 one, if people had trouble with the one in 7 then they should just retire their dualshock and find another hobby.

Mitark

i just finished chapter 6

# i like the SP , enjoyable story so far.

# Chapter 3 is my favorite chapter , The lighting in that section is incredible and with the audio log coming out from the DS4 is genius.

# the game is really hard, and that's a good thing.

# Save system is shit: The checkpoint system in this game is fine, but god the SAVE system is horrible, the game only saves at the beginning of a new chapter, also it doesn't even save when you find an item, reached far in the forest level but i had to close the game i was tired, then the next day I was back at the Owl tutorial with no ammo, now if i started a chapter i have to finish it to be able to save and turn off the PS4.

# stunning graphics, gorgeous textures, and some of the very best lighting and shadow.

some pictures I took for the other thread, sorry it's facebook quality but still beautiful:

1399390_10202579299625038_1991207000_o.jpg

977354_10202579320185552_996793965_o.jpg

1398583_10202593125610679_230256733_o.jpg

1462526_10202593109410274_2082717928_o.jpg

1404494_10202579306345206_1578801553_o.jpg

1398425_10202579303865144_540481975_o.jpg

1398324_10202593041208569_2009349691_o.jpg

1399003_10202593222693106_1703506985_o.jpg

1400326_10202592644918662_1173598407_o.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh god I hated that freefall section. How is that even considered fun?

And yeah, I had no idea I was supossed to get into that big mech gun thing until about 15 deaths and even then dudes would climb the stairs and shoot me from the walk way until I caught on that they were there.
Now when I know how to control the fall? It's like tunnel section in GoW 3 or avoiding obstacles in SSX or something. I've actually replayed it without much effort :p it was crazy frustrating until I figured the controls out and I felt like a complete moron that it took me so long to realize that pulling left moves me left.

Oh and I knew I was supposed to get into that mech - I saw it moving slowly into place - it was surviving until the damn things gets there. And I was only able to survive using a Voltage gun which I realized after dying a dozen times or more :/ Some sections in KZ are practically like a puzzle. Once you figure out what to do it becomes easy. I liked Ch8 a lot actually. After that free fall, I died only 2-3 times through the rest of chapter, it was all crazy tension and strategizing against those machines. I felt like John Connor in Terminator future war or something :)

jackdoe

Now when I know how to control the fall? It's like tunnel section in GoW 3 or avoiding obstacles in SSX or something. I've actually replayed it without much effort :p it was crazy frustrating until I figured the controls out and I felt like a complete moron that it took me so long to realize that pulling left moves me left.

Oh and I knew I was supposed to get into that mech - I saw it moving slowly into place - it was surviving until the damn things gets there. And I was only able to survive using a Voltage gun which I realized after dying a dozen times or more :/ Some sections in KZ are practically like a puzzle. Once you figure out what to do it becomes easy. I liked Ch8 a lot actually. After that free fall, I died only 2-3 times through the rest of chapter, it was all crazy tension and strategizing against those machines. I felt like John Connor in Terminator future war or something :)
Yeah, I also enjoyed chapter 8. It was a nice change of pace into a game of cat and mouse. And it was an escalating game of cat and mouse, where each encounter chucked more and more enemy types at you.

Naudi

Banned
Anybody want to party chat it up a bit while playing the SP? I'm only like 30min into it but feel so lonely after playing BF4 in a party for a few hours. PSN is Naudi.

This game's opening 30 minutes are shockingly stupid. There are so many potentially interesting story concepts here that are absolutely squandered by the writing. The ham hands that were used to write this must have been gigantic and the acting is SO BAD

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
What part of Ch7 is Secure the Target? The very end? I'll replay to see what they've done, but those two were indeed the two most frustrating parts of the game, if not the only two (I'm on Ch10 now, but Ch9 was again pretty damn good - I loved that massive battle at the end)

I'm sorry but people need to calm the heck down man. GG is a stellar company that will patch this game into the golden age. It might be not be the greatest campaign ever but damn if I didn't have a lot of fun in this game and the gfx are mindblowing for console launches. There has NEVER been a console launch game doing this much relative the technology.

Now they patched those sections. Are people still gonna cry all day about this campaign? I think people need to get their butts in mp and get better at the game rather than whine all day. It's not just this thread. It's the reviewers in general that piss me off with this game. Such a terrible review industry. Worse than film in that mahy good film critics are not abundant but games still seem caught with all kinds of console war reservation and bias. It really hurts tbh. Savage this game and yet prop another BF up like it does anything new. IDK man but for a launch game this is righteous. Love it.

Top Bottom