• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

SykoTech

I just finished it and I consider it a wasted opportunity. The game is solid enough to deserve praise, but overall I've find it a little less interesting than Birth by Sleep. I especially expected some story advancement and I didn't get any, it felt a filler a a KH: Coded from start to finish, with some random surprise put at the end that didn't get my attention. I consider BBS a better game having a better story. KH 3D remains the second best portable KH though, that should tell enough, but the story was pretty much non-existent.

Now... now it's time for KH3 please.

Pretty much this. The story from BBS is not advanced at all. In fact only the last hour or so moves the overall story forward and everything in between is filler only. I just wish they'd spend the resources on the Mickey mystery game or BBS Volume 2 instead.

Wow, that's surprising. Given all the PR stuff from before, I thought the story in this game would be very significant as it leads up to KHIII. I guess all that talk was overblown. Disappointing.

Mario007

Now you've got me all hyped up. If the next KH isn't a fusion of all those great systems I will blame you for my disappointment.

Haha well judging by DDD you're probably gonna have to blame me in the end (also i forgot to say that flomotion should be included as well).

Wow, that's surprising. Given all the PR stuff from before, I thought the story in this game would be very significant as it leads up to KHIII. I guess all that talk was overblown. Disappointing.

Isn't it just? I went in all hyped about the game, but really the game backpedals and then slowly moves forward so that you don't even notice that slight advancement. It does set up KH3, mind you, but what happened here could have simply been included in a few cutscenes in KH3. As I've said many times, it's such a shame that they cancelled the mystery game and BBS Volume 2 in order to make DDD, which is more significant than Days and ReCoded but much less significant than KH1, Kh2, BBS or COM.

The Grid is kind of annoying/difficult.

Yeah the antiviruses (antiviri?) are pretty bad. Also the world seems very disjointed when playing as Riku.

Btw can anyone explain this to me: When you find that Riku
is inside Sora's dream, how can he then see Sora dreaming in TWTNW? How can he even shout out to him? And how can Sora be said to be falling deeper into sleep, if he's actually the one awake going around in the Worlds' dreams?

Yeah, it's the first of the game's massive difficulty spikes. Wait 'til you get to the final world.

And how can Sora be said to be falling deeper into sleep, if he's actually the one awake going around in the Worlds' dreams?

If I'm understanding the game correctly, the Xehanorts in the game taunt Sora about all of the people inside of him, screwing up his perception of what's real and what's a dream, and by the time Sora gets to The World that Never Was and he meets Roxas, Xion, etc, he can't discern reality from dreams, and that vulnerability is what made him susceptible to having his heart put until an eternal sleep.
Or something like that, anyway. I still don't quite understand it myself.

ZenaxPure

Am I the only one that is ok with it? I didn't feel that BBS needed a sequel. Faster we get to KH3 and end this ''saga'' the better.

That's how I feel as well. I don't feel like there is anything really relevant they could have done storywise with a BBS sequel, all I really cared about was getting another game with similar combat which is what 3D did, and brought flowmotion along with it so that works out well.

Seda

www.nintendopower.com released their preview of the August Issue. Has the first part of the review for KH3D

NP281_KH3D.jpg

Mendrox

Those dark clothed dudes were pretty annoying in numbers. None of the other worlds seem to meet that difficult setting yet (nearly finished the 5th world).

Well I think the game is very easy overall. Just the last boss is kind of hard.
I also abused free flow lol

I'd always wanted a KH collector's edition, but I just couldn't justify an extra $15 for what came down to a bunch of stuff I didn't want or need, and a nice box.

Here's to KH3 having a substantial CE!

Since DDD is coming out tomorrow, I'll go ahead and post how EXCITED I am about it! It'll be my first KH game since KH2 (I wanted to wait till KH3, but oh well... at least this one has Sora in it) and omg. I can barely wait one more day!

I got a chance to play the demo, and I think it'll take a little getting used to, but all in all, I like it a lot better than Chain of Memories, which was the last ... "bridger" game I tried in the KH series.

I can't wait to see the GRID!!! EEEE!!!!

Am I the only one that is ok with it? I didn't feel that BBS needed a sequel. Faster we get to KH3 and end this ''saga'' the better.

I just liked the characters, and it was definitely a case of 'I want more!'
I guess it's best to leave us wanting more than treading old ground too much though, BBS will always be known as amongst the best PSP games, it's brilliant

Mario007

Yeah, it's the first of the game's massive difficulty spikes. Wait 'til you get to the final world.

If I'm understanding the game correctly, the Xehanorts in the game taunt Sora about all of the people inside of him, screwing up his perception of what's real and what's a dream, and by the time Sora gets to The World that Never Was and he meets Roxas, Xion, etc, he can't discern reality from dreams, and that vulnerability is what made him susceptible to having his heart put until an eternal sleep.
Or something like that, anyway. I still don't quite understand it myself.

Oh right that makes a bit of sense, I guess. Still,
I wonder was Roxas in TWTNW a Sora's projection or was he just an illusion from Young Xehonart? Because it seemed liked the real Roxas from within Sora, but the way he said 'it has to be you' combined with the ultimate goal of Xehanort to make a vessel out of Sora makes it seem like Roxas was an illusion from Xehanort

Also, one really interesting thing that I felt was never explored was
Xehanort telling Sora to doubt his memories because they might be somebody else's. Then there is the foreshadowing of Aqua and Terra being the same as Riku and kairi. I thought it'd be a pretty nice mind-fuck if Nomura decided to have basically most of Sora's memory to be a fiction from Ventus' heart. It certainly would have been better than the ending we got

Oh what, they cancelled BBS2 to make DDD? That...sucks.

Yup, they were in the middle of making some Mystery Game which they had to cancel for DDD(whose story was rushed, as admitted by Nomura, and only really made because Nintendo approached Nomura to have a game on 3DS) and then they were going to make BBS2 but now that they did DDD there are no plans to do it. I actually think the mystery game could have been BBS2 considering the ending of BBS FM.

I felt BBS set up KH3 perfectly. There was no need for DDD as
it only explains what he wants to do in KH3 anyway and that could have been included as a cutscene in kh3.
. I was hoping DDD would expand on BBS' characters which are huge in their importance in the franchise and the BBS FM ending which really set up BBS2. Lastly, when you think about it DDD makes
the sacrifice of Aqua, Ven and Terra pretty worthless as Master Xehanort is back in his old body anyway, he is going to make the X-blade anyway and Terra is still on his side

Also, was anyone else seriously pissed when
Ansem the Wise gives Riku the data he hid inside Sora and we didn't get to find out what was in them? I mean Nomura has teased the data eversince Coded was announced and we still don't know what's inside them

That's how I feel as well. I don't feel like there is anything really relevant they could have done storywise with a BBS sequel, all I really cared about was getting another game with similar combat which is what 3D did, and brought flowmotion along with it so that works out well.

The secret ending directly set-up a sequel.

Oh right that makes a bit of sense, I guess. Still,
I wonder was Roxas in TWTNW a Sora's projection or was he just an illusion from Young Xehonart? Because it seemed liked the real Roxas from within Sora, but the way he said 'it has to be you' combined with the ultimate goal of Xehanort to make a vessel out of Sora makes it seem like Roxas was an illusion from Xehanort

That was actually Roxas from within Sora's heart. Xigbar confirms that the only thing they did was put Sora to sleep. Evey vision he saw from then on, was his own heart speaking with him.

Pretty sure we're not allowed to post scans dude.

I'm pretty sure preview scans from the magazine's site itself are okay. I've seen it done in other threads.

Whoops, beaten.

Nintendo Power can fuck right off on their snide comment about the Hunchback of Notre Dame: "Given the movie on which it's based, it's not too surprising that La Cite Des Cloches proves less than inspiring" Hunchback is my favourite Disney movie, with awesome animation and the most mature storytelling disney's ever done.

Seda

Nintendo Power can fuck right off on their snide comment about the Hunchback of Notre Dame: "Given the movie on which it's based, it's not too surprising that La Cite Des Cloches proves less than inspiring" Hunchback is my favourite Disney movie, with awesome animation and the most mature storytelling disney's ever done.

Not to mention the fantastic music.

Drago

Shipped from NewEgg this morning. $30 ain't bad! :)

I'm hoping for it to be here Wednesday but I'm expecting Thursday. Will be my first KH game... pretty excited!

hamchan

This series has been spinning its wheels for a very long time now. It's been 7 years since KH2 came out and besides BBS, the story advancement has been super minimal. At this point I just want to kill that Xehonort/Ansem/Xemnas/whatever the heck that dude is, for the last time and be done with it.

Tales of Abyss will just not end. Good story(Asch and Luke are so cute) but I'm gonna have to push back KH3 til I finish that one x_x

Seda

Nintendo World Report Review (no scores)

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance is both a great entry in the Kingdom Hearts series and a great 3DS game. The story flaws may distract some, but the remainder of the game is worthwhile. Kingdom Hearts 3D advances the series in both story and innovation, and I can’t wait to see what’s next for Sora and Riku.

Summary
Pros

• Dream Eaters work well as combat partners
  • Engaging combat
  • Visually impressive

Cons

• Forced character switching
  • Story is confusing, especially for unfamiliar players

RPGFan Review - 8.5/10

I can't recommend it to newcomers in any way, but for those who have followed [Kingdom Hearts] this far, they'll find a flawed game that occasionally reaches some great highs.

Sora_N

I'd always wanted a KH collector's edition, but I just couldn't justify an extra $15 for what came down to a bunch of stuff I didn't want or need, and a nice box.

Here's to KH3 having a substantial CE!

I feel bad too, for preordering the CE. I could have gotten the game for $10-20 for the standard, but I just really wanted SOMETHING CE in NA for KH, I dunno.

Hmm people had trouble with the grid? I thought it was pretty easy. With Riku I struggled more with the boss before at the pranksters paradise than grid (spam grinding rails and launching). The Sora boss fight in the grid was more challenging but a fun boss fight. I noticed I prefer boss fights with units that are your weight and height than big bosses.

apricot

I feel the exact same way, which is why I've taken to stocking up on and using Drop-Me-Nots (which are available very early in the game, thankfully) as needed to play through each world with each character in one go, before moving on to the next world. Makes the storytelling a lot more cohesive and the game a lot more fun, in my opinion. Plus, by the time you finally do drop, you'll have accrued enough DP to give your other character a bunch of great bonuses for their next go.

Good idea, I'll try doing that from now on

As an added bonus, there's a mode where you create your own avatar and ''streetpass'' other people to get new dungeon levels. Don't worry if you are forever alone as the game, just like TWEWY, gives you fake hits. Some of them are random, some of them pre-set. Most of the latter are from the FF and KH universes and their quotes and names can be quite funny. My favourite was this one
jh8p8FHm5AIHb.jpg

4cedLaffer
''She made me do it.''

My favourite was AfroDaddy, "everything is coming up sugar and rainbows."

Yeah, they are much bigger. One world in DDD is, like, the size of at least two worlds + the areas themselves are quite a bit bigger than in past games. While the worlds don't have the kind of pixel-accurate platforming like the first game, the flowmotion stuff adds different kind of platforming that's more about exploration than getting through a challenging platforming section.

I like this better.

Worlds in this game are really huge, I'm really impressed how huge they are.

Thanks!

Fantastic, I was already annoyed by it in KH2 as it is...

Hm, does anyone think that the game would have been better off if the "Drops" were scripted and occurred not during gameplay, but during cutscenes as part of the story?

I know it's one of the main gameplay systems, but a lot of the feedback on it seems to be that it's just chaotic and ruins the pacing of the plot.

You think so? I'll admit it was a bit difficult, but I thought the world itself was fantastic. Fantastic music and visuals, and really fun to explore.

Nah, I'm fine with it too. BbS didn't need a sequel, though I'm in no rush to end the KH saga... though I do want KH III.

RPGCrazied

Got theatrerythum in the mail today, KH3D ships tomorrow, now I just have to wait until next month for the XL. :p

Oh and I have Dragon Quest IX for my first DS RPG.

Seda

No, never owned a DS. I had a lite for like a week, but gave it to my brother.

I waited for a long time to play TWEWY. I never really cared for the art style, and gameplay videos on YouTube seemed confusing. Putting TWEWY characters in KH3D is what finally pushed me to buy it and play it earlier this year.

Turns out, I liked it a lot! You should be sure to try it.

You think so? I'll admit it was a bit difficult, but I thought the world itself was fantastic. Fantastic music and visuals, and really fun to explore.

Nah, I'm fine with it too. BbS didn't need a sequel, though I'm in no rush to end the KH saga... though I do want KH III.

I mean the Xehanort saga that is basically KH1-KH3 and everything in between. Nomura allready has told that KH will continue after that and Sora would be still the main guy.

I wish after that they would go for 2 different series, 1 for home consoles and 1 for handhelds. Maybe make handheld series about young Eraqus and Xehanort or go even more back in time and have no ties at all. Different characters and story to keep things a little more focused. Make sure no more friggin original characters that are basically Sora/Xehanort. Just write characters that are fun and new, stories that are more focused and ''simple''.

I swear I will punch Nomura in the face if the new villain after xehanort splits himself or something.

Top Bottom