• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

You're actually half right about that! Rikku was supposed to be in KH1 but they took her out because of the whole name thing. It was Yuffie that took her place though, not Selphie.

kh-rikku-a.jpg

Pic related.

Only two solutions I see them making to the "Not everyone has played DDD" problem:

1) Include the Dream Drop Distance story as a pack-in with KH3 ala Days or Coded

2) Re-release, but so as not to be seen as lesser value compared with 1.5 and 2.5, they will include a separate KH3 prologue.

Expecting them to go with option 1.

Only two solutions I see them making to the "Not everyone has played DDD" problem:

1) Include the Dream Drop Distance story as a pack-in with KH3 ala Days or Coded

2) Re-release, but so as not to be seen as lesser value compared with 1.5 and 2.5, they will include a separate KH3 prologue.

I think option 3 is a PS4 1.5 + 2.5 + DDD collection.

All the DDD talk has finally made me decide to finally replay the game. Let's see what the Critical Mode on this one is all about.

strongly recommend grinding up star-level Dream Eaters on an easier difficulty and then new game plussing it

also, understand that FlowMotion is pretty poorly integrated into the general combat system (in that you can't cancel out of it like you can easily cancel between deck moves and ordinary attacks/finishers/blocks/dodges) and can occasionally be a deathtrap on Critical with its recovery time from certain moves

You're forgetting the much more likely option 3: recap the need-to-know major plot points - which literally boils down to
"7 lights, 13 darknesses/Xehanorts, Riku is a Keyblade Master, Lea and Kairi are being trained."

I suspect that virtually none of the minute-by-minute story of 3D will be relevant in III.

You're forgetting the much more likely option 3: recap the need-to-know major plot points - which literally boils down to
"7 lights, 13 darknesses/Xehanorts, Riku is a Keyblade Master, Lea and Kairi are being trained."

I suspect that virtually none of the minute-by-minute story of 3D will be relevant in III.

That's possible-ish, in the sense that the Sora-being-sucked-into-the-wrong-dream stuff doesn't directly affect KH3. But I think you're underestimating just how huge DDD's clumsy exposition dump was.

Malyse

They've shown in 3D how they plan to cover the story of 3D: with flashbacks cutscenes and recap summaries.

Caladrius

That's possible-ish, in the sense that the Sora-being-sucked-into-the-wrong-dream stuff doesn't directly affect KH3. But I think you're underestimating just how huge DDD's clumsy exposition dump was.

Yes. (3D spoilers of course)
Even at the length that it was, the whole explanation for "Xehanort's found a way to rip alternate time-shifted versions of himself by using his heartless as a scout and Young Xehanort as a conduit" was already baffling.
That, and they still have to provide exposition for why (BBS)
Aqua, Terra and Ventus
are where they are.

Oh god how the hell are they going to pull all this off?

Andrefpvs

Yes. (3D spoilers of course)
Even at the length that it was, the whole explanation for "Xehanort's found a way to rip alternate time-shifted versions of himself by using his heartless as a scout and Young Xehanort as a conduit" was already baffling.
That, and they still have to provide exposition for why (BBS)
Aqua, Terra and Ventus
are where they are.

Oh god how the hell are they going to pull all this off?

Like I said before, if there's no deus ex machina/MGS4-tier exposition cutscenes in KH3 then my mind will be blown :p

Any thoughts on what sort of multiplayer components could be feasibly implemented in KH3?

I know Birth By Sleep already had a multiplayer versus mode (which was mostly about your Command Deck composition and smart movement/finisher ability choices, since it's not exactly difficult for everyone to reach max stats/best keyblade/all passive abilities in BBS).

But KH2, as I mentioned much earlier in this thread, had something that could actually be a pretty serious framework for an excellent versus brawler. Roxas, normal Sora, and each of Sora's Forms (including Anti Form) essentially has a fully different moveset of basic combo moves, finishers, counterattack blows, air recovery, et cetera. But the key thing here is: so did the vast majority of the human-sized boss enemies. Sora *and* enemies are equally able to juggle or be juggled, all have looping combo strings ending in finishers, and so on. Essentially, KH2 involved the creation of a lot of enemy characters that could plausibly be quite playable using exactly the same control scheme (and, just as likely, it wouldn't be particularly difficult to turn Sora or any of his Forms into an AI-controlled character). And all of these movesets based on roughly the same template mean that it'd be reasonably possible to balance everyone against each other (minus the imbalance brought about by Reaction moves, of course).

At this point I fully expect KH3 to have an online multiplayer component, hopefully in something similar to the Mirage Arena. I just hope that there's just as much of a focus on moment-to-moment combat expertise as there is on building a good character setup to take into battle.

But more importantly, the way KH2's human-sized characters were developed and the stuff we've seen the Osaka Team do in Re:CoM, BBS, and DDD make me more convinced than ever that KH3 will have quite a few playable characters (and who knows, maybe it'll even be possible to directly control Donald or Goofy for the first time in the series). I don't think it'd introduce that much more complexity from a game-design point of view (lord knows the Osaka team has done great work with it in the past). It'd just come down to narrative choices in the end.

I think the big question about KH3 in terms of multiple-character design stuff is whether it'd be structured with a few separate campaigns (a la BBS), whether it'd have party sizes much bigger than the three we've been rather artificially limited to in the past (imagine an endgame party with Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Terra, Aqua, and Ventus in it), whether we'd have both or some mixture between the two, and so on.

HOPEFULLY it'll all be designed in such a way that the game could also easily have a Dissidia-style multiplayer brawler mode with playable heroes and villains from the entire series.

KH1 and Re:Coded are the only games in the series to only have a single playable character (let's just ignore Sora's Heartless, kthx), so it's not like it'd be too unusual or unprecedented for KH3 to go in this direction.

As I see it, *from a design perspective* the main obstacle to overcome in having a large cast of playable characters in KH3 would be the RPG-elements side of it - in the sense that progression with one character would sort of feed into the other characters without causing a feeling of disconnect. I think the Bonus Level system introduced with KH2 and held onto throughout most of the rest of the series would go a long way toward solving this issue, but managing the RPG-elements side of too many characters could be really unpleasant if done poorly (though I suppose Final Fantasy games have set a precedent for that sort of thing).

Caladrius

Like I said before, if there's no deus ex machina/MGS4-tier exposition cutscenes in KH3 then my mind will be blown :p

KH3 will probably be the MGS4 of the 8th Generation.

I think the big question about KH3 in terms of multiple-character design stuff is whether it'd be structured with a few separate campaigns (a la BBS), whether it'd have party sizes much bigger than the three we've been rather artificially limited to in the past (imagine an endgame party with Sora, Riku, Kairi, Mickey, Terra, Aqua, and Ventus in it), whether we'd have both or some mixture between the two, and so on.

I think they'll go for a mixture, with multiple campaigns (one of the promotional blurbs mentions that Sora and Riku+Mickey are doing different things) and larger party sizes than before. I could see Sora and Riku ending up with 4 party members each. (Enough to contain (series spoilers)
Donald, Goofy, Kairi, Lea, Mickey, Ven, Xion, Aqua
. That would probably give them enough room to tell the whole story without numerous PoV shifts that would make things even more confusing than they need to be.

As I see it, *from a design perspective* the main obstacle to overcome in having a large cast of playable characters in KH3 would be the RPG-elements side of it - in the sense that progression with one character would sort of feed into the other characters without causing a feeling of disconnect. I think the Bonus Level system introduced with KH2 and held onto throughout most of the rest of the series would go a long way toward solving this issue, but managing the RPG-elements side of too many characters could be really unpleasant if done poorly (though I suppose Final Fantasy games have set a precedent for that sort of thing).

They could do it Shin Megami Tensei style and give party members completely fixed learnsets and Sora/Riku with the customizable ones.The fixed learnsets would also go a long way towards differentiating the keyblade wielders (if they are indeed playable). I think they may also end up making equipment more limited to reduce the load. (weapon slot and, at most, two accessories. I think armor's going to go since accessories can easily be made to do the same thing.)

Falk

that puzzling face
Heck, there are potentially enough characters and 'classes' at this point to go actual Final Fantasy style where you choose your own party makeup.

Falk

that puzzling face
This just happened

1RaJfS9.png

Man they sure upped the graphics for KH1.5

edit: And Robin Williams died. This is uncanny. I'm turning off my internet for the next few days cya guys.

Caladrius

Heck, there are potentially enough characters and 'classes' at this point to go actual Final Fantasy style where you choose your own party makeup.

I'd love this (alongside being able to play as any of them).

Stop thinking about cool shit before you all disappoint yourselves when KH3 comes out in 2020.

We already have rock-bottom expectations for the story, we have to be optimistic about something!

Oi. It's a damn shame.

It's still weird to hear Mickey not voiced by Wayne Allwine.

They could do it Shin Megami Tensei style and give party members completely fixed learnsets and Sora/Riku with the customizable ones.The fixed learnsets would also go a long way towards differentiating the keyblade wielders (if they are indeed playable). I think they may also end up making equipment more limited to reduce the load. (weapon slot and, at most, two accessories. I think armor's going to go since accessories can easily be made to do the same thing.)

Ehhh. I mean, that's possible, but I would really hope that they could graduate to making each party member fully fleshed out rather than the less-than-Sora approach taken so far with Donald and Goofy. There's plenty of differentiation that can be accomplished between fully realized characters, as we've seen from BBS and DDD.

Agreed, though, that we might see a drastically reduced role for equipment in KH3 (and this would be supported by the generally minimal role of equipment and the increased role of abilities/special attacks in the Osaka team's KH games so far).

It ought to be stressed, though, that combat stances, special moves and combo styles have already been established for just about every humanoid KH-original character in the entire series. That doesn't fully cover every element of a fully fleshed-out playable character, but all of the original Organization XIII, TAV, Riku, and obviously Sora have all been playable in some form already.

Looks like there's some new Birth by Sleep Final Mix HD Screens out, courtesy of 4Gamer.

Man, as awesome as having HD, English translated versions of KHFM, Re:CoM and KHIIFM is, BBSFM really stands to gain the most from this series of ports. Can't wait to play it on a proper controller (With the shoulder buttons mapped to scroll through commands at that; Why this wasn't implemented for KH3D's Circle Pad Pro Controls, I'll never know) with hopefully minimal to no framedrops.

I'm just excited my KH friends will finally get to play it. One of them hasn't played anything beyond KH2 other than Days, and the other one has only played KH3D.

I can't imagine how confusing playing only KH3D must be.

He played everything up to KH2 (both of the friends mentioned did, I can see how that wasn't clear though). Apparently he read a wiki about Birth By Sleep before playing KH3D instead of just playing BBS, which is a shame.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well we got the first lil peeks at new soundtrack it seems with the new world trailers. Really small snippets tho.

Hahahaha man, that's literally an assorted chocolate box of chocolate rice krispies!

Oh well, there's a little sneak peek of He's a Pirate at least!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Well we got the first lil peeks at new soundtrack it seems with the new world trailers. Really small snippets tho.

KH's Japanese voices are so weird... So used to their English voices (really don't like Hades Japanese voice, James Woods just owns that role)
"Remember this as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sanji"

Bits of music heard sound really good. Especially "He's a Pirate" (it actually sounds like the movie this time!)

Falk

that puzzling face
GAWD only Proud Riku left and that's 3xPlatinum 1.5. All the other grindan done, Proud Sora done, but I can't do it. :(

I'll just put it off till tomorrow. Nothing can go wrong. Yeah.

Caladrius

Ehhh. I mean, that's possible, but I would really hope that they could graduate to making each party member fully fleshed out rather than the less-than-Sora approach taken so far with Donald and Goofy. There's plenty of differentiation that can be accomplished between fully realized characters, as we've seen from BBS and DDD.

It ought to be stressed, though, that combat stances, special moves and combo styles have already been established for just about every humanoid KH-original character in the entire series. That doesn't fully cover every element of a fully fleshed-out playable character, but all of the original Organization XIII, TAV, Riku, and obviously Sora have all been playable in some form already.

This is true.

On a related note, I couldn't help but notice that the UI for KH3 actually looks like it has enough room for 4 party members at once. Look next to Sora's Health bar and you'll see what I mean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9twjpM7gU

Looks like there's some new Birth by Sleep Final Mix HD Screens out, courtesy of 4Gamer.

Man, as awesome as having HD, English translated versions of KHFM, Re:CoM and KHIIFM is, BBSFM really stands to gain the most from this series of ports. Can't wait to play it on a proper controller (With the shoulder buttons mapped to scroll through commands at that; Why this wasn't implemented for KH3D's Circle Pad Pro Controls, I'll never know) with hopefully minimal to no framedrops.

So good.

As long as they keep the extra bosses sufficiently difficult, this looks like it's going to be fantastic.

Which is good, because my copy of BBS Final Mix is scratched.

Caladrius

Nice find. Buuuuut I really doubt that it's the final HUD.

Indeed, but I still think it's worth noticing because the rest of the UI is otherwise compact by KH standards. They probably wouldn't have made the party member space that wide if they didn't intend to fill it with something. There's also the fact that if there were just two, there's no reason to make the two status readouts that are already there that small when you could make it easier to see by stretching them.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm actually much closer than the percentage suggests. I was using time off during the KH2.5 recording sessions prep (So ~April-ish) to plat FFX, but just couldn't skim any more for X-2. I'm at Chapter 5 finishing off areas and working my way through Via Infinito right now.

Except we have some huge projects coming right up again and 1.5 was probably the last thing I can sink my teeth into before November or so. X-2, Disgaea D2, Xillia (and now Xillia 2 agaufhhef) and Guided Fate Paradox platinums all sitting half-eaten.

Falk

that puzzling face
hey dreamdrop i heard you can save during 200 lightning dodges

hahahahahaha

edit:

hey dreamdrop you should keep your
distance

edit2: Early morning sure is a catalyst for awful non-humor :(

Top Bottom