• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Caladrius

I'm playing Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix again.

I am painfully reminded of why Roxas was decent in KH2, especially compared to Sora.

This is a depressing way to start my morning.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

edit: LA Noire looks a little lost there.

Congratulations, ya damned maniac!

Malyse

hey dreamdrop i heard you can save during 200 lightning dodges

hahahahahaha

edit:

hey dreamdrop you should keep your
distance

edit2: Early morning sure is a catalyst for awful non-humor :(

Don't get mad that I had the only working copy of FFX in existence.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well I'm sore that I had to go waste half an hour of my life first finding a proper save file in the HD remaster to go test it out, and then dig out PCSX2 to test it on both the original NA release and International (tracking down saves for those were a little harder)

And it didn't work in every case.

:mad:

Seeing all those Platinums makes me realize I am such shit at games...

Nah you just don't waste time on trivial bar-filling

Pretty much. There's no reason to punish yourself to access achievements that you don't even find personally rewarding. Same reason why I didn't bother to max affinity in Xenoblade (or, to use a more relevant example, didn't bother to ever take on Gummi missions or customization) - the tedious time and energy investment isn't worth the payoff.

I did complete the journal/get the Ultima Weapon in KH:FM, though, which in hindsight might have been much more trouble than it was worth. I guess seeing deep dive in HD was pretty neat, though?

Caladrius

I've been considering writing a "noob's guide to extra bosses" for 2.5. Yay or nay?

I wouldn't be able to do the BBS FM arena bosses until I know the changes they made, but I have the resources to write the rest of it.

Seeing all those Platinums makes me realize I am such shit at games...

Nah you just don't waste time on trivial bar-filling

Pretty much. There's no reason to punish yourself to access achievements that you don't even find personally rewarding. Same reason why I didn't bother to max affinity in Xenoblade (or, to use a more relevant example, didn't bother to ever take on Gummi missions or customization) - the tedious time and energy investment isn't worth the payoff.

Indeed. Most of the stuff required for full platinums is just filler.

An actual bad player wouldn't be able to beat minor extra bosses on normal.

I did complete the journal/get the Ultima Weapon in KH:FM, though, which in hindsight might have been much more trouble than it was worth. I guess seeing deep dive in HD was pretty neat, though?

You could have seen it just by finishing the Hades cup and sealing all the keyholes on proud.

I've been considering writing a "noob's guide to extra bosses" for 2.5. Yay or nay?

I wouldn't be able to do the BBS FM arena bosses until I know the changes they made, but I have the resources to write the rest of it.

Indeed. Most of the stuff required for full platinums is just tedium.

A bad player wouldn't be able to beat minor extra bosses on normal.

Lexaeus: spam reflect

No. Journal completion isn't necessary on that difficulty. I know because I never finished the journal in any of my saves and distinctly remember seeing Deep Dive, Orgy XIII numbers and all.

The More You Know. I guess I must've seen conflicting info about the differences between Normal and Proud. I don't think it helps that there isn't really any official source for completion milestones.

Still, I'd say the only real annoyance was getting some of the rarer synthesis materials (to get items that'd help against the last two extra bosses). So all in all it wasn't too bad.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's strange. I think the term bar filling describes it best. It's not really for bragging rights, and Lord knows it's not something that's going to help your life, but yet it's somehow as compelling as collecting stamps, for example.

I used to grind rep in WoW. If it had a bar, it needed to be filled. This included scouring the auction house for cheap cards to make Darkmoon decks for a particularly obtuse exalted reputation. Almost every day for 8 months, and ridiculous amounts of gold (from various sources, farming to playing the auction house etc) to fund that particular endeavor. For people who play WoW, this was before inscription and all the myriad changes made to Darkmoon. It was just a straight out slog that was never meant to be done.

But I digress. If you don't find it entertaining (I'm stopping short of calling it 'fun' in the traditional sense), there's no reason to force yourself to do it.

It does help that a lot of platinum tedium in many cases are rote activities that can be done with the sound off. My work basically requires only the attention of my ears for short to medium periods at a time, so the rote on a second monitor helps with focus, etc. One of the benefits working freelance out of my own workspace. This isn't something you'd really be able to explain to a boss of any kind.

edit: games with multiplayer trophies for platinum in an otherwise single player game can go f o

Order

It's going to bother me forever that I didn't get my last trophy in KH1. Whoever designed the Gummi Missions must have hated life.

so how long is Sora's story in Re:CoM HD? I'm almost done with the first batch of worlds, just have Halloween Town left. I'm only around 5 hours in, and it seems like I'm progressing weirdly fast, so I'm just wondering.

Falk

that puzzling face
Sora CoM is much shorter than the numbered entries. Not exactly a spoiler but there are 13 floors (ha ha what a surprise)

The 'complete' game would probably be Sora + Riku.

One thing I don't remember whining about here is that the ''Cloud subplot'' is terrible in KH2. All the dialogue from Cloud+Sephiroth is terrible, Sephiroths hair is terrible, there is like no context to anything other than ''darkness, light, blah blah''. Cloud is at his most unlikeable out of all his appearances in any of the games/media. In KH1(FM) it was way more subtle and fun that he just meets Sephiroth and has a duel with him without all the emo whining. The post credit scene where Cloud meets Aeris is way better fanservice than anything they do in KH2. The only good thing about Cloud in KH2 is that one little joke scene with him and Leon.

Well I thought was kinda cool was that they used the AC design for him and BC design for Aeris.

Squall was way more emo in his own game and he is just a likeable dude in KH games. Cloud in KH1 is fine. What was it about making Cloud just such an unpleasant character at that time?

Groof

Squall was way more emo in his own game and he is just a likeable dude in KH games. Cloud in KH1 is fine. What was it about making Cloud just such an unpleasant character at that time?

Post-AC any and all depictions of Cloud just became this unbearably bland character with all this "regret." All he does is sulking. And unless they somehow retcon the entire expanded universe outside the original game, that's most likely how he'll remain.

It sucks. KH1 Final Fantasy characters were great. Not only were they their characters, but they had their own distinct designs, setting them apart from where they originated from and integrating them more in the KH universe. KH2 Cloud & Sephiroth were basically just a copy-paste from Advent Children and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked

To be fair KH2 has good FF cameos too. Auron is great and it's really fun to have him as a party member. Seifer really fit his little role and I love his teen design. Leon+Cid+Aeris+Yuffie were fun to see again even tho they are just continuation of KH1 of course (outside of the THEEEEEERRRRRIBLE Aeris voice. Like, after that performance you are not allowed to call yourself a professional actor).

Vivi+Setzer were wasted tho. YRP is kinda harder to say anything about. I kinda (?) like the idea of having a more funny cameo as chibi trio based on X-2 but... they aren't really particularly funny either. I'll just pass them as harmless.

I kinda like the potential of KH2 Tifa but she is just another wasted character on the ''Cloud subplot''. She does have one funny scene tho.

Groof

Now I'm not saying all the FF cameos in KH2 were bad, just that Cloud and Sephiroth were such a mess. I had even forgotten about Tifa, and now that you mention it, she was a waste too, like you say.

The rest I was fine with, they did their KH thing. Just seems like the FF7 characters in particular got a huge boot of shit.

KH2's big problem as far as that's concerned is that it was all about basically co-marketing Advent Children (or building off the hype from it - can't remember which came first and can't be fussed to look that shit up).

Likewise, there was similar stuff going on between BBS and Crisis Core to help encourage the Zack appearance.

I do think there's a strong incentive to have a Sephiroth fight in KH3 for tradition's sake, but I also wonder if they might want to heavily deëmphasize Compilation of FF7 stuff in favor of tie-ins with FFXIII and FFXV. That doesn't mean Cloud won't be in the game (of course he will be) but it does mean that the odds of an extended cutscene continuing the awful subplot stuff from KH2 is pretty low, I hope/think.

Silk04

It's going to bother me forever that I didn't get my last trophy in KH1. Whoever designed the Gummi Missions must have hated life.

That was easier than KH:CoM. Just cant push myself to platinum that one. Too tedious. Told myself I would platinum all the kh games smh.

Caladrius

There's a ring scratch on my KH2FM and Re:CoM discs.

Fuck the PS2 slim.

At least the PS3 super-slim doesn't have any way for the disc to get mauled aside from inserting it into the tray improperly.
Has it been mentioned that the Super-Slim's disc slot design is shit and it's hard to actually put anything in to start with?

Likewise, there was similar stuff going on between BBS and Crisis Core to help encourage the Zack appearance.

I rather liked Zack in that game. I'm unfortunately not familiar with any of the FF games to a large degree, but Zach was fairly likeable. Could be horribly OOC for all I know but he was far more entertaining than Cloud and Sephiroth.

Nomura actually outright explained the reason for going with Zack. Birth by Sleep in general was meant to emphasize the past, both in terms of Disney and Square, which is why they went for three classic Disney princess movies, A Disney prequel (Stitch!), used Hercules when he was still in training, and Zack (Since he's from a Final Fantasy prequel)

Besides, Birth by Sleep came out like, three years after Crisis Core.

There's a ring scratch on my KH2FM and Re:CoM discs.

Fuck the PS2 slim.

Same exact situation happened with me, though the Re:CoM disc was spared. Ended up softmodding a fat PS2 I got for free instead to play imports. Once 2.5 comes out (Prooooobably gonna import it, I can never sem to wait for US KH releases), I can finally retire my PS2.

Caladrius

Same exact situation happened with me, though the Re:CoM disc was spared. Ended up softmodding a fat PS2 I got for free instead to play imports. Once 2.5 comes out (Prooooobably gonna import it, I can never sem to wait for US KH releases), I can finally retire my PS2.

I'm probably going to buy multiple copies of 2.5 just to safeguard this from happening again. (Yes, I am a nutbar)

I still own a couple of PS2 games that haven't been re-released, unfortunately (Destroy all humans 1+2 and We Love Katamari). I can get those working on an emu, at least.

Falk

that puzzling face
The zipper is spiral shaped. Should have gone all the way to the other end of the hat- would mean that if you undid the zipper it'd become a long piece of cloth

Hey guys! Kind of a big KH fan here: I found KH2 before BbS, 3D and the other games were announced and I was quickly interesed since I saw all those Disney characters there, so I bought it. When I started playing and I was Roxas I was like "did I bought the correct game?" and wasn't too interesed until I finally began playing as Sora. Of course, since it was my first KH game I almost didn't understand anything of the story, haha. I managed to advance through the game (fuck that guy who said "Dance water, dance!") until one of the boss fights in The World that Never Was (it was Xigbar's I think?) but since I was a kiddo and was underleved I cound't continue so I left the game there lol Then I looked up on the Internet all about KH and learned the story of KH1 and CoM.

Years later I returned to KHII after I heard there were like four or three new games announced for the series and I managed to be properly leveled and even obtained the Ultima Weapon! And I finally beated the game by myself. I rented KH and CoM, but for some reason my PS2 freezed after defeating the Tarzan world's boss so I couldn't continue, and with CoM I think I defeated Jafar but Hades kept defeating me and I couldn't understand crap about the game's combat so eh.

Anyways, later I followed the rules of 3D at the time and I was really frickin' excited for it. Even I registered for KH Insider forum for it. I enjoyed the heck outta the game (I think it's my most played 3D game right now?) but I really feel unsatisfied since I played the game in easy for some stupid reason and invested a lof of time there; since then every game I've played has been on Normal difficulty so I could enjoy it more.

So yadda yadda, KH3 is releasing in XOne and PS4 so I won't be able to play it. :( Oh well, I've been thinking about buying the KH collection since it's kinda cheap here but first I'm buying other games releasing this year. Oh, and I got a question about KH3D:

The worlds in 3D are supposed worlds asleep, so when Sora unlocks them they are restored to normal and if he were to visit that world again the people he met wouldn't know about him, but Xemnas says that The Grid is in the actual world since it's a database, so does that means that Sora meeting all those characters there is "canon" in the sense his actions there are true with the world's timeline like with the worlds in KH and KH2?

And the Tron from KH2 is a copy made by Ansem, right? The Rinzler/Tron in The Grid doesn't know anything about Sora at all, then. But Sora' tries to make Rinzler remember about him everytime he finds him, when that Rinzler/Tron doesn't even know him. And
at the end of his route, Sora manages to unlock Rinzler free from CLU and makes him remember his memories, but before he does it, Sora's outfit from KH2 appear for a second, meaning Tron remembers Sora and saves him, but again, isn't that a different Tron so how would he remember Sora?

The worlds in 3D are supposed worlds asleep, so when Sora unlocks them they are restored to normal and if he were to visit that world again the people he met wouldn't know about him, but Xemnas says that The Grid is in the actual world since it's a database, so does that means that Sora meeting all those characters there is "canon" in the sense his actions there are true with the world's timeline like with the worlds in KH and KH2?

And the Tron from KH2 is a copy made by Ansem, right? The Rinzler/Tron in The Grid doesn't know anything about Sora at all, then. But Sora' tries to make Rinzler remember about him everytime he finds him, when that Rinzler/Tron doesn't even know him. And
at the end of his route, Sora manages to unlock Rinzler free from CLU and makes him remember his memories, but before he does it, Sora's outfit from KH2 appear for a second, meaning Tron remembers Sora and saves him, but again, isn't that a different Tron so how would he remember Sora?

Well, it's just speculation but I doubt that any of the things they did in the dream worlds would be ''canon'' considering the special nature of the worlds. Anyway the whole setup of DDD is kinda wonky so it's better not to think about it too much.

As for Tron it indeed makes little sense for Rinzler to be the exact same Tron from KH2 so you'd assume the two just share some kind of connection. Or if we are being totally honest they are meant to be the exact same character and they just didn't bother making any complicated excuses. Considering it is set in the future compared to KH2 world it already defies all kinds of logic so eh. DDD isn't exactly the height of KH writing anyway.

edit: Then again supposedly if Musketeers is meant to be Disney Castle in the past that too makes no sense at all to be a sleeping world.

Yeah, "lol KH logic" sums up a pretty good portion of 3D. A bunch of things get brought up in the game for seemingly no reason and are never explained.

It's funny. Prior to Birth by Sleep being released in Japan, given the trailer material shown at that point, I thought it was going to have the most retarded plot twists in the series, but the twists that were there actually ended up being surprisingly straightforward and made sense within the KH universe. But then 3D rolls around and out of nowhere
"13 XEHANORTS! ASS BACKWARDS TIME TRAVEL! THE ORG HAD HEARTS ALL ALONG! RETCONS AHOY!
etc.

As someone playing through MGS4 for the first time right now (And not really enjoying it at all) I'm a little worried that it'll end up being the MGS4 of the KH series, where the plot'll go too far up it's own ass with answers to questions that should have never been asked in the first place.

Is anyone taking preorders for the KH2.5 Collectors Pack? I'm not looking forward to the scalping prices on ebay..

Not as far as I can tell. Play Asia is taking preorders for the 1.5 + 2.5 Combo pack, but I think the CE that comes with the OST sampler is a JP Square Enix e-store exclusive.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't think KH3 will go into the insane levels of wankery as MGS4. It will have some but not to the point of "NANOMACHINES ALL DAY ERRY DAY"

On another note, I just realized there's an aspect of Kingdom Hearts II that will really date the game when 2.5 comes out. Chicken Little,

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
How's that?

Chicken Little was one of the worst moves in the Disney Animated Canon.
He was probably only put in the game midway through development when the movie was also being made. They probably assumed it would be a huge hit.
It made money, but critics and fans hated it.

So it's one of those movies that Disney tries to pretend didn't happen.
His presence in 2.5 serves as a reminder that "he existed at one point.. gross".

Falk

that puzzling face
Ah, I guess my secret deep-rooted adolescent hatred of many Disney characters (Bambi, Dumbo, Pinocchio, the entire 100 Acre Woods cast) because I'm irl Scrooge McDuck made me immune to the implications of that.

Yeah, "lol KH logic" sums up a pretty good portion of 3D. A bunch of things get brought up in the game for seemingly no reason and are never explained.

It's funny. Prior to Birth by Sleep being released in Japan, given the trailer material shown at that point, I thought it was going to have the most retarded plot twists in the series, but the twists that were there actually ended up being surprisingly straightforward and made sense within the KH universe. But then 3D rolls around and out of nowhere
"13 XEHANORTS! ASS BACKWARDS TIME TRAVEL! THE ORG HAD HEARTS ALL ALONG! RETCONS AHOY!
etc.

As someone playing through MGS4 for the first time right now (And not really enjoying it at all) I'm a little worried that it'll end up being the MGS4 of the KH series, where the plot'll go too far up it's own ass with answers to questions that should have never been asked in the first place.

Not as far as I can tell. Play Asia is taking preorders for the 1.5 + 2.5 Combo pack, but I think the CE that comes with the OST sampler is a JP Square Enix e-store exclusive.
Yeah, Dream Drop Distance got ridiculous but I mean they gave Lea a keyblade it makes everything better.

etc.

To be fair,
they dropped all kinds of hints about the Organization members not really being sure whether they had hearts as far back as KHII. And the "Xehanort eyes" thing was obviously introduced with KHII also. And the time travel doesn't really contradict the other games... it's just very unclear how it actually works/what the rules about leaving your body behind actually mean.

To be fair,
they dropped all kinds of hints about the Organization members not really being sure whether they had hearts as far back as KHII. And the "Xehanort eyes" thing was obviously introduced with KHII also. And the time travel doesn't really contradict the other games... it's just very unclear how it actually works/what the rules about leaving your body behind actually mean.

Fair enough. They pretty much beat you over the head with the ambiguity of
whether or not any of the Org. had hearts in Days.
And it's not so much the idea of time travel that bothers me (It's one of my favorite fictional tropes, actually), it's the silly ass way it's used and has rules for it made up for it that aren't nearly explained enough.

Caladrius

I didn't find the (3d, KH2)
"Nobodies have hearts" thing
weird at all.
I never bought for a second that they were acting. None of the characters in 2 would ever have thought that the nobodies didn't have emotions just by seeing them in action. They would have had to been fed that information from Orgy XIII, who themselves got it from Xemnas, who's a blatant manipulative sociopath if there ever was one.

The (3D)
Time travel shenanigans were far, far harder to swallow. While it isn't completely pulled out of nowhere, it's completely inconsistent with how it was portrayed in Kingdom Hearts 2, where Sorcerers could conjure gateways into the past with no problems. On top of that, the way that they showed it implied that only Heartless would have been able to facilitate it, which brings into question why the hell they wouldn't have been able to travel in time and chew up the worlds like candy well before the heartless invasion in the first place.

Caladrius

With the game disc busted all I can do is just re-write my boss impressions from earlier in the thread. At least I started accidentally turning it into a guide halfway through.

Is proud mode in KH1.5 bullshit hard or good hard?
Is it like critical mode in KH2 or easier?

The annoying kind. It's a bit harder than 2 Final Mix, but that's because enemies have a habit of ganging up on you, particularly airborne ones. Wizards, Wight Knights, Bouncy Wilds, Bandits, Fat Bandits and Air Soldiers are consistently incredibly aggravating, either due to sheer numbers or high attack power. Magic can mitigate that a great deal, though. (Provided your MP supply can keep up.)

Is proud mode in KH1.5 bullshit hard or good hard?
Is it like critical mode in KH2 or easier?

I'd say it's good hard. It definitely forces you to use your different tools much more effectively as far as offense is concerned.

In terms of difficulty of staying alive, it follows the general arc of KH1 (that is to say, getting drastically easier as the game goes on and you gradually unlock Dodge Roll, Guard, Cure, Aero, Leaf Bracer, MP Gift, and Tinkerbell).

Expect it to be toughest during the early parts, basically.

I'd say it's easier than KH2 Critical Mode, though, in the sense that it's more about learning how to deal with each individual threat than about expertise in the moment-to-moment bits of combat.

Top Bottom