• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

sasuke_91

Is proud mode in KH1.5 bullshit hard or good hard?
Is it like critical mode in KH2 or easier?
I'd also say it's good. You have to analyze the bosses much more and try not to get hit by them. In easy mode it's just mashing X-button all the way, or so it was for me at least.
Fighting Riku is also much more fun. He's actually my favourite boss in the game. I hated him on my first playthrough back then on the PS2 because I couldn't beat him, but it's actually a really cool bossfight.

TnK

With the game disc busted all I can do is just re-write my boss impressions from earlier in the thread. At least I started accidentally turning it into a guide halfway through.

The annoying kind. It's a bit harder than 2 Final Mix, but that's because enemies have a habit of ganging up on you, particularly airborne ones. Wizards, Wight Knights, Bouncy Wilds, Bandits, Fat Bandits and Air Soldiers are consistently incredibly aggravating, either due to sheer numbers or high attack power. Magic can mitigate that a great deal, though. (Provided your MP supply can keep up.)

I'd say it's good hard. It definitely forces you to use your different tools much more effectively as far as offense is concerned.

In terms of difficulty of staying alive, it follows the general arc of KH1 (that is to say, getting drastically easier as the game goes on and you gradually unlock Dodge Roll, Guard, Cure, Aero, Leaf Bracer, MP Gift, and Tinkerbell).

Expect it to be toughest during the early parts, basically.

I'd say it's easier than KH2 Critical Mode, though, in the sense that it's more about learning how to deal with each individual threat than about expertise in the moment-to-moment bits of combat.

These two comments are conflicting. If it is easier than KH2 Critical Mode then I am good. Critical Mode in KH2 is some of the hardest gaming experiences I have ever gone through, and I play a LOT of hard games.

Then again, I remember continuing simply brings me back to the same place I fought and died in, and don't need to play from the start all over again. I guess proud mode it is then. I really hope I don't regret this, lol.

EDIT:
I'd also say it's good. You have to analyze the bosses much more and try not to get hit by them. In easy mode it's just mashing X-button all the way, or so it was for me at least.
Fighting Riku is also much more fun. He's actually my favourite boss in the game. I hated him on my first playthrough back then on the PS2 because I couldn't beat him, but it's actually a really cool bossfight.

Guess it is proud mode then. Again, I hope I don't regret this decision.
If it makes bosses more fun though, I am all for it.

Caladrius

These two comments are conflicting. If it is easier than KH2 Critical Mode then I am good. Critical Mode in KH2 is some of the hardest gaming experiences I have ever gone through, and I play a LOT of hard games.

Then again, I remember continuing simply brings me back to the same place I fought and died in, and don't need to play from the start all over again. I guess proud mode it is then. I really hope I don't regret this, lol.

EDIT:

Guess it is proud mode then. Again, I hope I don't regret this decision.
If it makes bosses more fun though, I am all for it.

To be fair I have an explosive temper, so you should take what I say with a bit of salt.

TnK

To be fair I have an explosive temper, so you should take what I say with a bit of salt.
Even if you do have your temper, your opinion is valid. Maybe I will get frustrated from the difficulty, lol. I remember KH2FM made me mad at times from how hard it was, but you learn to calm down after time.

I never thought Critical mode KH2 is that hard at all if you use all the available tricks to your advantage and we are talking about just the story portion. Hardest boss is probably Roxas if you spend no time grinding and you might not have second chance at that point. But even then his pattern is not that hard to figure out in the end.

I feel the beginning in KH1FM proud is harder than anything in KH2 critical story mode. Guard Armor, Trickmaster and Clayton really can wreck you if you are not careful. After that combo it becomes much easier since you get cure.

Lvl 1 run in KH2 is a whole different thing tho. One thing I really wish they added in 2.5 is the option to ''retry'' boss/event battles like in BBS and not having to go back to the room before and resetting all menu changes and stuff.

Demyx in critical mode might have been a challenge but they nerfed him in FM. I also feel like Xaldin too was nerfed but I'm not entirely sure if this is true or if I just got better at the game. The optional stuff like Absent Silouettes can be infuriating if you try them as soon as available.

The hardest (mandatory) part of a Critical Mode run is the stretch of Hollow Bastion starting with Demyx and ending with the 1000 Heartless battle. If you die at any point before the latter, you're forced to start from the former all over again.

TnK

Started on Proud mode. Here is hoping things turn out OK. A question though, when do I get the "the more you get hit the more MP you gain"?
I never thought Critical mode KH2 is that hard at all if you use all the available tricks to your advantage and we are talking about just the story portion. Hardest boss is probably Roxas if you spend no time grinding and you might not have second chance at that point. But even then his pattern is not that hard to figure out in the end.

I feel the beginning in KH1FM proud is harder than anything in KH2 critical story mode. Guard Armor, Trickmaster and Clayton really can wreck you if you are not careful. After that combo it becomes much easier since you get cure.

Lvl 1 run in KH2 is a whole different thing tho. One thing I really wish they added in 2.5 is the option to ''retry'' boss/event battles like in BBS and not having to go back to the room before and resetting all menu changes and stuff.

Demyx in critical mode might have been a challenge but they nerfed him in FM. I also feel like Xaldin too was nerfed but I'm not entirely sure if this is true or if I just got better at the game. The optional stuff like Absent Silouettes can be infuriating if you try them as soon as available.
The one thing I did not use in my arsenal, and is said to make bosses a lot easier, was the KH1 outfit transformation. Other than that, I did everything as necessary, and never really did grind. Roxas was hard, I agree, and that's because I did not have second chance at that time.

I don't know though, KH2FM Crit mode was especially hard vs. certain bosses. Mostly because KH needs to have a good dodge mechanic with better invincibility frames. Oddly enough, like you mentioned, both Demyx and Xaldin were not hard, and I remember them being harder on Proud mode in OG KH2. I did almost everything minus data organization 13 and Terra. That was mostly because I needed to grind and farm for STR and DEF boosts.
The hardest (mandatory) part of a Critical Mode run is the stretch of Hollow Bastion starting with Demyx and ending with the 1000 Heartless battle. If you die at any point before the latter, you're forced to start from the former all over again.

Actually, I did not have that much difficulty in that part. Compared to the rest of the game.

Started on Proud mode. Here is hoping things turn out OK. A question though, when do I get the "the more you get hit the more MP you gain"?

The one thing I did not use in my arsenal, and is said to make bosses a lot easier, was the KH1 outfit transformation. Other than that, I did everything as necessary, and never really did grind. Roxas was hard, I agree, and that's because I did not have second chance at that time.

I don't know though, KH2FM Crit mode was especially hard vs. certain bosses. Mostly because KH needs to have a good dodge mechanic with better invincibility frames. Oddly enough, like you mentioned, both Demyx and Xaldin were not hard, and I remember them being harder on Proud mode in OG KH2. I did almost everything minus data organization 13 and Terra. That was mostly because I needed to grind and farm for STR and DEF boosts.

Actually, I did not have that much difficulty in that part. Compared to the rest of the game.

Oh wow yeah, Limit Form is so amazingly helpful in KH2 and makes all the difference in many tough areas.

And KH *does* have a good dodge mechanic with good invincibility frames... which you get from using Limit Form.

Also, grinding the Data Replicas is the best way to get STR/DEF boosts by far.

Oh wow yeah, Limit Form is so amazingly helpful in KH2 and makes all the difference in many tough areas.

And KH *does* have a good dodge mechanic with good invincibility frames... which you get from using Limit Form.

Also, grinding the Data Replicas is the best way to get STR/DEF boosts by far.
Are the ingredients for synthesis that bad? I don't know what they are since I never grinded stat up items but with 5 lucky strikes (6 in limit form) and whatever lucky rings you have farming synthesis items is incredibly fast in FM.

Caladrius

Are the ingredients for synthesis that bad? I don't know what they are since I never grinded stat up items but with 5 lucky strikes (6 in limit form) and whatever lucky rings you have farming synthesis items is incredibly fast in FM.

The Data Replicas of the KH2 members give you a stat boost every single time you beat them. While Item gathering is insanely fast, It's still faster to just beat the piss out of your Organization member of choice.(Unless it's Power Boosts. Xemnas was too hard for me to beat consistently.)

I beat most of the bosses without stat farming so it's never been much of an issue for me.

The Data Replicas of the KH2 members give you a stat boost every single time you beat them. While Item gathering is insanely fast, It's still faster to just beat the piss out of your Organization member of choice.(Unless it's Power Boosts. Xemnas was too hard for me to beat consistently.)

I beat most of the bosses without stat farming so it's never been much of an issue for me.

Yeah, this. (Though once you get basically every other stat maxed, Data Xemnas becomes significantly less dangerous, IMO).

Falk

that puzzling face
Gaming news site Cyberland has reported that the Kingdom Hearts 3 new worlds would The Incredibles, Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph and Toy Story.

Citation needed? Also Wreck-it Ralph still seems a little too meta as recently discussed in the thread.

iosefe

This surprise is the widely rumored cameo of Iron Man. Just like in the Marvel movies, just after the final credits of the game rolls up, a scene involving Iron Man recruiting Sora to defeat Darth Vader will be included.

lol no

I wonder which oddballs they will throw in that few will predict.

Yeah, those tend to be the worlds that usually end up being pleasant surprises, quality wise. No KH game's managed to top the combined "holy shit wtf" factor of Tron, Steamboat Willie and Pirates of the Caribbean in KHII yet.

As far as obvious picks go, there's no way we won't be getting a Toy Story world. It's probably the single most requested world in the series, and it's pretty obvious that they've been saving it for a mainline title. (Not to mention Pixar's actually under Disney ownership now...)

TnK

Staff gets MP Rage first, at levels 42 and 75. Sword at 63 and 87, and Shield at 90 and 100
I get MP rage at 63 and 87?
Hmm. I took the sword and threw the wand. Was it best if I did not do that? If I recall, MP rage was a life saver. My old play through, I took the wand and threw the shield.

Unless there was also a "the more you hit the more MP you get"?

Hmm. I took the sword and threw the wand. Was it best if I did not do that? If I recall, MP rage was a life saver. My old play through, I took the wand and threw the shield.

MP Rage got a massive nerf from KH1 to KH1 Final Mix. I think it's something like 80% less effective.

TnK

Oh. That bad huh?

Also, you guys were saying that you don't need to grind for stat boosts in KH2FM, but I recall data org. 13 were a huge pain to go through without the stat boosts. Their bars took a long time to go down without them.

Caladrius

MP haste (increases general rate of MP restoration) is granted at lvl. 21, 45 and 72 for the Dream Rod, Sword and Shield respectively.

Sword is probably the worst possible choice because it offers neither the early defensive bonuses of Shield (which grants you second chance in the late 30's and more importantly Leaf Bracer in the 20's, whereas sword has to wait until level 69) or the Magic arsenal of Staff/Magic. (Which gets most of the MP restoration abilities earliest as well as extra Magic strength and base MP, and gets Leaf Bracer reasonably early to compensate for getting Second Chance in the 90's.)

Oh. That bad huh?

Also, you guys were saying that you don't need to grind for stat boosts in KH2FM, but I recall data org. 13 were a huge pain to go through without the stat boosts. Their bars took a long time to go down without them.

In KH2FM, Sora hits harder on Critical difficulty than he does in Proud.

TnK

MP haste (increases general rate of MP restoration) is granted at lvl. 21, 45 and 72 for the Dream Rod, Sword and Shield respectively.

Sword is probably the worst possible choice because it offers neither the early defensive bonuses of Shield (which grants you second chance in the late 30's and more importantly Leaf Bracer in the 20's, whereas sword has to wait until level 69) or the Magic arsenal of Staff/Magic. (Which gets most of the MP restoration abilities earliest as well as extra Magic strength and base MP, and gets Leaf Bracer reasonably early to compensate for getting Second Chance in the 90's.)
Hmmmm. Guess it is time to restart and choose magic rod or shield then?
In KH2FM, Sora hits harder on Critical difficulty than he does in Proud.
Not that hard vs data org. 13 though. I remember being level 66 or 68 when trying it out.

Reminds me that Sword got completely screwed in FM2. In KH2 in general shield is the best because you get second chance earliest and there is no change to mp or anything like that like in KH1. The only real boon for sword was that it got Lucky Strike first in KH2 but in FM they removed that ability entirely from leveling up and put it into Limit Form growth abilities. The only plus left is that you get finishing plus earlier.

Reminds me that Sword got completely screwed in FM2. In KH2 in general shield is the best because you get second chance earliest and there is no change to mp or anything like that like in KH1. The only real boon for sword was that it got Lucky Strike first in KH2 but in FM they removed that ability entirely from leveling up and put it into Limit Form growth abilities. The only plus left is that you get finishing plus earlier.

Which, if you're playing on Critical, is much less useful because you've already got one (though stacking Finishing Plus is pretty fucking sweet for sure).

sn00zer

This is a very dumb complaint, as I havent played any of the games passed KH2, but i really hated the UI in KH2, the new battle menus were fantastic, but the distracting exp, money counters, numbers flying everywhere made it seem far more gamey and really pulled me out of the 'experience'.... is this now a series staple?

This is a very dumb complaint, as I havent played any of the games passed KH2, but i really hated the UI in KH2, the new battle menus were fantastic, but the distracting exp, money counters, numbers flying everywhere made it seem far more gamey and really pulled me out of the 'experience'.... is this now a series staple?
It's always been like that, and it might be just be me but I don't really mind them.

Groof

I like the KH battle UI. It adds some fun to it all. And the way the action menu changes depending on the world is a neat touch too.

I like the KH battle UI. It adds some fun to it all. And the way the action menu changes depending on the world is a neat touch too.
KH2 has so much little touches to UI I really like that you might not even notice the first time around if you don't pay notice. There are few ROOMS with totally unique combat menus (white room in the old mansion, the place where you team up with axel). Some minor places like the Mansion and mansion basement have their own UIs too. Stuff like colour of the hp bar change between worlds too. The most obvious one is the very light green in Timeless River but Port Royal has a more subtle change too for a more darker green. Production values are through the roof in KH2 anyway. Every single weapon of all 3 main characters have 4 different textures. Normal, Halloween Town, Space Paranoids and Timeless River. All the heartless that appear inmore than one of those worlds have different textures too. Even Maleficent has a subtle filter on her textures while in HT.

Another thing I LOVE about KH is how every keyblade not only has unique sound while hitting enemes, unique particle effects AND unique "speed trails" while swinging it (I dont know the correct term in english!).

Groof

Isn't the phrase about hitting a nail on the part of the nail called the head, as opposed to nailing a nail to a head?

Sounds painful
I don't know if I'm still asleep or what, but you just exploded my head.

Also, I just got a 2ds the other day. Is ddd worth playing? Got the demo down but haven't tried it yet.

I don't know if I'm still asleep or what, but you just exploded my head.

Also, I just got a 2ds the other day. Is ddd worth playing? Got the demo down but haven't tried it yet.

Well, sure if you are a KH fan (and you should be able to find it cheap nowdays). It's a full fledged game after all with new worlds, enemies ect.

Banzai

Anyone planning to go for the level 1 challenge on KH2FM? I remember it was one of the hardest but also most fun things in gaming ive ever done. I felt like a freaking god when i beat sephiroth without getting hit.
never beat LS though. didnt even manage to get into the data room. the nobody fight right before it is brutal.

Mecha

Is proud mode in KH1.5 bullshit hard or good hard?
Is it like critical mode in KH2 or easier?

It isn't too bad, level 1 proud is pretty hard during the first half though.

Anyone planning to go for the level 1 challenge on KH2FM? I remember it was one of the hardest but also most fun things in gaming ive ever done. I felt like a freaking god when i beat sephiroth without getting hit.
never beat LS though. didnt even manage to get into the data room. the nobody fight right before it is brutal.

Planning on doing some for KH2 and BBS.

Top Bottom