• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

botty

Banned
What are your favorite magic attacks?

I'm fond of Mega Flare. Particularly its overpowered Birth By Sleep variant:

lvk2gt2.gif

botty

Banned
I liked Zero Gravity and it's more powerful versions.

I think DDD's version of Zero Gravity is a bit more like magnet, compared to the BbS version. Or maybe that is a different spell.

Hard to beat mega flare...

Doesnt count cause its not magic, but Omnislash CoM (3 clouds) is soo awesome.

Oh, I loved using that in CoM!

And my favorite non-magic attack would probably be Salvation.

Esura

Banned
I love Simple and Clean. I thought it was impressive when I first laid my young eyes on that glorious acid trip-ish amazement. Like, why was this spikey haired boy running after mini Sephiroth? Why is there like hundreds of spikey haired boys falling from the sky? Who is the red head!? So glorious. Now Sanctuary on the other hand not only had a better song but the actual opening was much more epic, essentially recapping the previous two games in such a straight up beautiful way.

So I say I like Sanctuary more but that's like saying I like Aqua over Xion, cause at the end of the day both songs are awesome (and Aqua and Xion are both hot).

EDIT: Man, I'm like a page late.

botty

Banned
I love Simple and Clean. I thought it was impressive when I first laid my young eyes on that glorious acid trip-ish amazement. Like, why was this spikey haired boy running after mini Sephiroth? Why is there like hundreds of spikey haired boys falling from the sky? Who is the red head!? So glorious. Now Sanctuary on the other hand not only had a better song but the actual opening was much more epic, essentially recapping the previous two games in such a straight up beautiful way.

So I say I like Sanctuary more but that's like saying I like Aqua over Xion, cause at the end of the day both songs are awesome (and Aqua and Xion are both hot).

EDIT: Man, I'm like a page late.

The Kingdom Hearts 2 intro, with Sanctuary, is just the most immaculate thing I have ever seen in a video game. The entire video seems to be perfectly choreographed to the song: the song starts off slow as we see Kairi nonchalantly sitting on the beach, key shifts every time a new scene appears, Naminé and Kairi seemingly speaking the reversed lyrics, those rifts when the chain of memories section appears. I think it's even more special for those of us who saw it after finishing Kingdom Hearts and CoM, because it resinates more; seeing those beautiful key moments translated into cgi really hits on home. The lyrics to Sanctuary are also quite beautiful, and just seem to fit. If I am not mistaken, I think Utada wrote the lyrics after Nomura told her about the game... so maybe that is why. Either way, Utada did a really great job in capturing the feeling of Kingdom Hearts 2.

Xux

But the game's balance! D:
Good thing the game's single player, lol.

Another neat thing I thought would be cool would be for related keychains, like the Olympia and Hero's Crest, to get some kind of bonus if dual wielded together.

Esura

Banned
The Kingdom Hearts 2 intro, with Sanctuary, is just the most immaculate thing I have ever seen in a video game. The entire video seems to be perfectly choreographed to the song: the song starts off slow as we see Kairi nonchalantly sitting on the beach, key shifts every time a new scene appears, Naminé and Kairi seemingly speaking the reversed lyrics, those rifts when the chain of memories section appears. I think it's even more special for those of us who saw it after finishing Kingdom Hearts and CoM, because it resinates more; seeing those beautiful key moments translated into cgi really hits on home. The lyrics to Sanctuary are also quite beautiful, and just seem to fit. If I am not mistaken, I think Utada wrote the lyrics after Nomura told her about the game... so maybe that is why. Either way, Utada did a really great job in capturing the feeling of Kingdom Hearts 2.

I never played CoM at the time when I got KHII, only KHI but I still found those new scenes impressive even though I don't know quite what the heck happened. It kind of made it all mysterious and made me realize that a lot of stuff happened after KH1 and stuff is getting good. I can't think of too many CG opening that was done quite as well as KH2.

Something in your post caught my eye though. Simple and Clean and Sanctuary was made specifically for the KH series and not random songs from her album?

botty

Banned
I never played CoM at the time when I got KHII, only KHI but I still found those new scenes impressive even though I don't know quite what the heck happened. It kind of made it all mysterious and made me realize that a lot of stuff happened after KH1 and stuff is getting good. I can't think of too many CG opening that was done quite as well as KH2.

Something in your post caught my eye though. Simple and Clean and Sanctuary was made specifically for the KH series and not random songs from her album?

Yes, and no. While Simple and Clean and Sanctuary were indeed both made for Kingdom Hearts, there is a bit of a citation that has to go with that. S&C and Sanctuary are both songs that were translated into english for western Kingdom Hearts fans. The original Japanese version of Simple and Clean, "Hikari," wasn't made for Kingdom Hearts. Nomura was the one who picked Utada to be the person on the opening, but I am not sure which of them decided to use Hikari. It was Utada that translated the song into english, though. So in that regard we can say "Simple and Clean" was indeed made for Kingdom Hearts.

Now going to Sanctuary, and it's original Japanese version, "Passion," I believe these two songs were made specifically for Kingdom Hearts 2, by request of Nomura. The two songs are slightly different in translation, but Utada is still responsible for writing both versions. So, if I am correct, Passion, Sanctuary, and Simple and Clean are all songs that were made for Kingdom Hearts, but Hikari was not.

I just remembered something crazy. When the intro for the JP kh2 was put online, I watched it so many times that I memorized the Japanese words... And I can actually still remember them now.

Narolf

Banned
Same, and I was only 14 back then. Ironically, that was right before I got into high-school wherein I studied Japanese for three years. Besides, congrats on the membership!

aravuus

I just remembered something crazy. When the intro for the JP kh2 was put online, I watched it so many times that I memorized the Japanese words... And I can actually still remember them now.

That's almost frightening

on the other hand, I do remember a ton of stupidly small details about KH1 and 2 from playing them so much

TheMink

Same, and I was only 14 back then. Ironically, that was right before I got into high-school wherein I studied Japanese for three years. Besides, congrats on the membership!

Me three! And i was 14 also :p

Edit: uh no i wasnt...

I was 10, i cant believe it came out 8 years ago.
Thats how long we have been waiting for 3 ;_;

Oh wow xD
I know the lyrics to both Simple and Clean and My Sanctuary. Also the whole speech when Xion
dies

I played my first KH game about 4 years ago, when I was 11.
;______;

botty

Banned
Oh wow xD
I know the lyrics to both Simple and Clean and My Sanctuary. Also the whole speech when Xion
dies

I played my first KH game about 4 years ago, when I was 11.
;______;

Wow, what was the first game you played? I find it kind of amazing that the series is able to bring in new people to this day, despite the claims of a "convoluted" story.

The Lamp

Same here. I made God knows how many AMVs with that opening. I still know the words.

Omoidaseba aozora no shitade...
Minai wa...

Where is this 8 years stuff from? KH1 released way more years ago than that and KH2 released in December 2005/March 2006...

Wow, what was the first game you played? I find it kind of amazing that the series is able to bring in new people to this day, despite the claims of a "convoluted" story.
The first one I played was Kingdom Hearts 2, then I got KH 1 and was like hell on earth but managed to beat it. Then, I played RE:CoM, followed by Days, then BBS and finally RE:Coded.

botty

Banned
The first one I played was Kingdom Hearts 2, then I got KH 1 and was like hell on earth but managed to beat it. Then, I played RE:CoM, followed by Days, then BBS and finally RE:Coded.

Lucky that you had most of the series available to you when you jumped in. I remember being so confused when Chain of Memories was released on Gameboy Advance, considering it was a midquel to a playstation 2 game. Then having to wait all those years for each new game. They have been releasing Kingdom Hearts games yearly since Days, though, so things have gotten easier. By the way, have you played DDD yet?

Lucky that you had most of the series available to you when you jumped in. I remember being so confused when Chain of Memories was released on Gameboy Advance, considering it was a midquel to a playstation 2 game. Then having to wait all those years for each new game. They have been releasing Kingdom Hearts games yearly since Days, though, so things have gotten easier. By the way, have you played DDD yet?
I haven't played DDD yet, I really want to, but I doubt I'll have a chance anytime soon. I really don't want to watch the cutscenes on Youtube, but if that's the only choice then I guess I'll have to do it.

TheMink

Same here. I made God knows how many AMVs with that opening. I still know the words.

Omoidaseba aozora no shitade...
Minai wa...

Where is this 8 years stuff from? KH1 released way more years ago than that and KH2 released in December 2005/March 2006...

I was talking about from KHII counted from 05 because thats when we herd the japanese song.

Esura

Banned
Yes, and no. While Simple and Clean and Sanctuary were indeed both made for Kingdom Hearts, there is a bit of a citation that has to go with that. S&C and Sanctuary are both songs that were translated into english for western Kingdom Hearts fans. The original Japanese version of Simple and Clean, "Hikari," wasn't made for Kingdom Hearts. Nomura was the one who picked Utada to be the person on the opening, but I am not sure which of them decided to use Hikari. It was Utada that translated the song into english, though. So in that regard we can say "Simple and Clean" was indeed made for Kingdom Hearts.

Now going to Sanctuary, and it's original Japanese version, "Passion," I believe these two songs were made specifically for Kingdom Hearts 2, by request of Nomura. The two songs are slightly different in translation, but Utada is still responsible for writing both versions. So, if I am correct, Passion, Sanctuary, and Simple and Clean are all songs that were made for Kingdom Hearts, but Hikari was not.

I remember reading that Utada was annoyed about making Simple and Clean though, which is kind of sad since I like that song. I always heard of Hikari and Passion but I never bothered to listen to them before. My nostalgia towards Simple and Clean and Sanctuary won't allow me now either.

I still remember Simple and Clean word for word after all these years. I use to sing it to my niece as a lullaby awhile back too when she was a baby and to this day she still don't know what I got it from. :p

What are your favorite magic attacks?

I'm fond of Mega Flare. Particularly its overpowered Birth By Sleep variant:

lvk2gt2.gif
Man, that move was so OP in the original Japanese version of the game, but got nerfed a bit in the US.

But my favorites are Transcendence and Ars Arcanum.

botty

Banned
Man, that move was so OP in the original Japanese version of the game, but got nerfed a bit in the US.

But my favorites are Transcendence and Ars Arcanum.

Then it was nerfed again in BbS: Final Mix. I used Ars Arcanum in DDD. Love how crazy Sora gets when he uses it.

:C

I wish I had KH merchandise.

Maybe 1.5 will come with some good pre-order stuff. I was kind of bummed out that I didn't get the Mark of Mastery edition of DDD. It had some pretty good stuff. Though, the decals that came with Re:Coded are still my favorite pre-order bonus.

Oh it's Cyberman, thanks for doing all those walkthroughs on youtube.

As for favorite ability, mine will always be Ars Arcanum.

Verelios

Dark Firaga and time-splicer were my go to moves.

Oh, and raids in the early sections; raids are just so useful for crowd control. Mega Flare...I never liked how it basically nuked the screen.

Why did we get DDD's battle system when we had BBS...

Seda

I played all the games in preparation for KH:DDD , probably wont do that again until KH3, using the HD remasters of course.

Top Bottom