• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Malyse

I've been looking at Kairi KH3 fanart and they almost all have one thing in common:
The people want to see Kairi's bellybutton.

Famassu

SPOILERS AHOY!
A nice summary, but with errors, from how I've understood things:

The Origins of Sora and Xehanort
Ventus's heart is damaged and eventually makes contact with the heart of a young boy named Sora, merging with it
This isn't necessarily an error, but I'd put it in a different way. Sora's heart connects with Ven's (again) and Ven's heart kind of takes refuge there so that it could heal in time, but it doesn't fully merge with Sora's heart, it just resides within him.

Sora's Journey Begins
During the invasion, Sora obtains the Keyblade, as Ventus's heart is still within him.
Didn't Sora gain the Keyblade because Riku was consumed by the darkness in his heart and, thus, deemed unworthy of it? As in, Riku was meant to unlock his keyblade-wielder powers at that time, but he was too tempted by the darkness, couldn't use the Keyblade because of that and thus the keyblade went "down the list" and chose a new person to be its wielder, that person being Sora. From how I've understood it, it had nothing to do with Ven's heart in Sora. It was Riku's keyblade all along, as proven by the scene when first arriving to Hollow Bastion where Riku claims what should have been his in the first place, and later Sora proves again that he is more worthy of it than Riku and gets it back for good.

Sora and Riku are able to return to their world, via the Door to Light, which was mysteriously triggered from Sora's heart.
Doesn't this have something to do with Kairi's bottled letter? She throws it into the sea early in KHII and that somehow arrives at the beach at the edge of the Realm of Darkness. Sora reads that letter and then the Door to Light appears. It's probably something to do with the connection & friendship & all that crap between Sora & Kairi that triggers the Door to Light, nothing too mysterious.

and it is his duty to save those connected to his heart from their suffering, namely the real Naminé, Roxas, Xion (a replica of Roxas created by Xemnas as a fail safe in case Roxas or Sora proved useless to the Organization), and Axel, as well as Terra, Aqua and Ventus. Mickey sends Sora a bottled letter about this.
I'm pretty sure the message is mostly about Terra, Aqua & Ven. Sora needs to save Aqua from the Realm of Darkness so that she could help solving Castle Oblivion so that they can find Ven's body and Sora return Ven's (hopefully now-recovered) heart to himself and then vanquish Xehanort from Terra's body. Axel had nothing to do with those that Sora needs to save (since he was back to his complete human form by that point anyway) and Namine & Roxas aren't necessarily hurting all that much. The whole ReCoded deal was about "Their hurting will be mended when you return to end it" and I don't think that applies to Roxas & Namine. Aqua is "hurting" (lost & alone) in the Realm of Darkness, Ven has a broken heart and Terra is still possessed by Xehanort. Those are the "hurtings" that need to be mended, but Roxas returned peacefully to Sora and Namine to Kairi.

The only good entry in the entire Compilation (Crisis Core) came out on the PSP and didn't sell for shit. People strongly disliked Genesis and had basically no desire to see whatever FF7-2 was being set up by Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus; Square-Enix will never have enough money to make the remake people want to see (and it wouldn't sell as well as people think).
Uhh... Crisis Core sold exceptionally well (for a PSP game and a FF spin-off).

http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/pdf/news/20090525_01en.pdf#8

It has sold over 2 million copies worldwide. And Square Enix could probably technically afford a big budget FFVII remake, but that would require them to halt the production of all other internal development for a few years and only rely on outsourced projects, which isn't how any big game development & publishing company like SQEX should operate.

Malyse

We know what Mickey's Letter is.

I wanted to tell you right away,
About memories from the past that sleep within you, And about the pieces that will tie you to your future.

Sora, Riku, Kairi, the truth behind the Keyblade, has found its way through so many people, and now I know that it rests in your hearts.

Sora, you are who you are because of those people, but they're hurting, and you're the only one who can end their sadness. They need you.

It's possible that all your journeys so far, have been preparing you for this great new task that's waiting for you. I should have known there were no coincidences, only links in a much larger chain of events.

And now the door to your next journey is ready to be opened.

-Mickey

----

https://vine.co/v/O6TzYVvUzhK
#Accurate

Malyse

*puts gummy bear on table*
image.php

Nothing. Not even a 1.5/2.5 PS4 port.

#Let''sNegativeThinking

Unless they've got the balls to make it PS4 exclusive and use the DS4's touchpad, the game is going to need a significant overhaul.
It needs an overhaul anyway. Too much experimentation, not enough content or polish.

I'd just rather they tweak things rather than adding a ton of new content, though. Not really worth the effort. Get on to making KH3 with full resource commitment plz.

When's Jump Festa? tonight?
I want a KH3 trailer with Hikki's new song.

Re:coded
Re:Chain of Memories
I don't think they'll be able to do a RE:DDD and release it in 2015... but I'm assuming KH 3 is a late 2016 game which considering that they are barely picking worlds I'm not sure I should expect it to release by then.

I don't think they'll be able to do a RE:DDD and release it in 2015... but I'm assuming KH 3 is a late 2016 game which considering that they are barely picking worlds I'm not sure I should expect it to release by then.
I think it's fairly clear that DDD in some form - and some way for the West to see the new story content from KH[chi] - is what's coming next based on the 2.5 credits, but I doubt it'll have much added content. I do fully expect some revamped mechanics, though (and hopefully that'll improve the game a lot without requiring the creation of new assets).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think it's fairly clear that DDD in some form - and some way for the West to see the new story content from KH[chi] - is what's coming next based on the 2.5 credits, but I doubt it'll have much added content. I do fully expect some revamped mechanics, though (and hopefully that'll improve the game a lot without requiring the creation of new assets).

I imagine that a revamped DDD will at least add new Superbosses. Like a preview for KHIII perhaps.

Malyse

I.5 and II.5 used the models from 3D. Outside of game mechanics, it should take significantly less time to get 3DHD out the door.

I imagine that a revamped DDD will at least add new Superbosses. Like a preview for KHIII perhaps.

I could see it getting a story-tease superboss like KH1FM, KH2FM, and BBSFM, yeah.

Not sure what that'd be as far as teasing people with mystery is concerned, though, given that KH3's villains and protagonists are already *reasonably* clear.

Malyse

I could see it getting a story-tease superboss like KH1FM, KH2FM, and BBSFM, yeah.

Not sure what that'd be as far as teasing people with mystery is concerned, though, given that KH3's villains and protagonists are already *reasonably* clear.
[chi] now has a Unknown in a Black Coat.

[chi] now has a Unknown in a Black Coat.

But the black coat to protect people from darkness [and possibly from growing hearts] was invented by Apprentice [Terra]nort, IIRC, and shouldn't even be possible for anyone to possess prior to the birth of Young Xehanort because of the rather ridiculous time travel rules... sigh.

But the black coat to protect people from darkness [and possibly from growing hearts] was invented by Apprentice [Terra]nort, IIRC, and shouldn't even be possible for anyone to possess prior to the birth of Young Xehanort because of the rather ridiculous time travel rules... sigh.

Source? MX is wearing it in the first scene of BBS.

It's assumed that this is the sixth apprentice, which would make sense considering how heavily Xehanort is tied to the story of [chi] (goat faction keyblade, eyes of darkness, ect.)

The_Unknown_KHX.png

If it turns out that there's yet another case of the "REAL" villain behind the villain i'm going to be extremely annoyed.

However, perhaps they could argue that the goat faction keyblade was sealed somehow and/or reveals itself to people with dark wishes - something that could perhaps happen shortly after the assorted scenes we've seen of YX on the beach wishing to leave Destiny Islands - without it being bestowed by someone else or having it turn out that Xehanort is possessed/controlled by yet another bad guy. Have it all go back to the theme of history repeating itself. I guess we'll see.

Malyse

If it turns out that there's yet another case of the "REAL" villain behind the villain i'm going to be extremely annoyed.

However, perhaps they could argue that the goat faction keyblade was sealed somehow and/or reveals itself to people with dark wishes - something that could perhaps happen shortly after the assorted scenes we've seen of YX on the beach wishing to leave Destiny Islands - without it being bestowed by someone else or having it turn out that Xehanort is possessed/controlled by yet another bad guy. Have it all go back to the theme of history repeating itself. I guess we'll see.
Xehanort isnt end boss. [chi] is literally screaming that from the rafters. He's the cause of everything but there's something behind him. Like, make it star wars, ya?

Xehanort is a person who found an archive of the sith teachings and is now trying to figure out what happened in the Clone Wars. He got a lightsaber and is doing a lot of Sithy things, but soon he'll bring the real deal back.

Famassu

Just because they've talked about the process of choosing worlds recently doesn't mean they are just "barely picking worlds." They might have 10 out of the 13 or so worlds already chosen and are in the process of choosing the final few worlds, if they don't already have pretty much all the worlds locked down. KHIII has been in some level of planning/development from 2012 forwards. They certainly do have most of the worlds figured out by now, though some might still be going through the process of Nomura & Co's plans for those worlds being green-lighted by Disney.

They are probably talking about the worlds so evasively and only about the choosing process simply because they have been forbidden to talk about the worlds that KHIII will have in any more detail. So when people pester them about Marvel & Star Wars, all they can do is talk some general crap about how they choose the different KH games' worlds based on different factors and what kind of ideas the team comes up with instead of giving a straight answer of whether Star Wars will or will not be in KHIII. Yet that doesn't mean they are still in the early phases of choosing worlds or anything.

Besides, Nomura already said back in Fall 2013 that they had already chosen some of the worlds (note: plural) of KHIII and had begun development of them, so 1) they aren't just "barely" choosing worlds for the game and 2) if they had chosen some of the worlds in 2013 then over a year from then they have surely chosen "some" more (if not pretty much all of them by now except maybe one or two).

It's assumed that this is the sixth apprentice, which would make sense considering how heavily Xehanort is tied to the story of [chi] (goat faction keyblade, eyes of darkness, ect.)

The_Unknown_KHX.png

More than likely he'd have stumbled on the black coat during his dicking around with the history of the Keyblade War, then. Definitely fits his character. He's more of a Voldemort type than I thought.

Also, I'm assuming we'll have one of those deals where the Xehanort story is just a splinter of a larger story, but not in the sense that Xehanort was being manipulated, just in the sense that he's dragged out old demons.

Again, I think the Voldemort comparison is apt. There's a lot of background lore that Rowling started bringing into in the final book that could make for a wide expanded universe. But of course the Harry vs. Voldemort story is a "complete" arc on its own.

Nohar

I want Maleficent to kill Xehanort after the heroes defeat him, "thanking" him for everything she learned thanks to him, and impaling him with her staff (natural courtesy after what he did to her back in KHI). Even if she doesn't become relevant again, I really wish for her to do something significant in KHIII.

Also, Chernabog needs to be something more than just a recurring boss.

Famassu

Xehanort probably isn't possessed or controlled by anyone, but what he is doing might actually cause a chain reaction of some kind that will perhaps awaken something that has been in deep slumber. KHIII is supposed to be the end of Xehanort's tale yet at the same time be something that will give birth to a new era of some kind that KHIV can build on, so obvioulsy some kind of "forces" will be somehow brought back into the world near the end or at the aftermath of Xehanort's defeat (or something) and some of that will be the cause of calamity in KHIV that will launch Sora's post-KHIII journey.

Malyse

Xehanort probably isn't possessed or controlled by anyone, but what he is doing might actually cause a chain reaction of some kind that will perhaps awaken something that has been in deep slumber. KHIII is supposed to be the end of Xehanort's tale yet at the same time be something that will give birth to a new era of some kind that KHIV can build on, so obvioulsy some kind of "forces" will be somehow brought back into the world near the end or at the aftermath of Xehanort's defeat (or something) and some of that will be the cause of calamity in KHIV that will launch Sora's post-KHIII journey.
Xehanort is going to reunite the worlds and bring back the Foretellers.

Honestly, I always thought this was going to be the outcome from the moment we found out the worlds used to be united. Still haven't delved much into the [chi] stuff, though... hoping for some kind of visual novel to be included alongside the DDD HD adaptation.

I expect something like that but also that the assorted characters currently in some kind of limbo (most notably T/A/V) are going to be doing totally okay by the end of KH3. It'll effectively give KH something that's not quite a clean slate, but rather its own entire cast of supporting and lead characters and original worlds to draw from - a fully built world for the future of the franchise, basically.
Only reason I don't expect this to fully happen is because of how it'd kinda complicate the handling of Disney worlds in the future. I could see a partial merging happening (and indeed, they could go back to YX's original motivations of feeling isolated on Destiny Islands) but I don't see them, for example, having Aladdin visit Beast's castle anytime soon.

My predicitons

KH3 teaser shown at 2.5 launch event goes worldwide
KH: DDD HD announced or 1.5/2.5 Bundle announced for PS4/One
KH Chi gets localization announcement. A distributor is announced, facebook integration

KH: DDD HD announced or 1.5/2.5 Bundle announced for PS4/One

What will really happen

KH DDD HD comes exclusively with the first shipment of 1.5/2.5 Bundles for PS4/Xbox One

I cover most of the salient points.

Thanks! I'll check it out soon. I'm really just in it for the lore, so I'll probably prefer to read the localization whenever it surfaces. I'm not a fan of reading things in translation unless they're actual literature.

Just because they've talked about the process of choosing worlds recently doesn't mean they are just "barely picking worlds." They might have 10 out of the 13 or so worlds already chosen and are in the process of choosing the final few worlds, if they don't already have pretty much all the worlds locked down. KHIII has been in some level of planning/development from 2012 forwards. They certainly do have most of the worlds figured out by now, though some might still be going through the process of Nomura & Co's plans for those worlds being green-lighted by Disney.

They are probably talking about the worlds so evasively and only about the choosing process simply because they have been forbidden to talk about the worlds that KHIII will have in any more detail. So when people pester them about Marvel & Star Wars, all they can do is talk some general crap about how they choose the different KH games' worlds based on different factors and what kind of ideas the team comes up with instead of giving a straight answer of whether Star Wars will or will not be in KHIII. Yet that doesn't mean they are still in the early phases of choosing worlds or anything.

Besides, Nomura already said back in Fall 2013 that they had already chosen some of the worlds (note: plural) of KHIII and had begun development of them, so 1) they aren't just "barely" choosing worlds for the game and 2) if they had chosen some of the worlds in 2013 then over a year from then they have surely chosen "some" more (if not pretty much all of them by now except maybe one or two).
I guess we'll see. I really hope that KH 3 is out by 2016, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

Falk

that puzzling face
You know, this is me wildly speculating but KH3 is virtually the first major undertaking Square Enix is doing with a licensed engine. It's gonna be interesting seeing if that speeds up the process (like it should) vs their purported internal engine struggles of the past ~decade, or if it takes longer as a result for whatever reason.

Caladrius

Re:coded
Re:Chain of Memories

Didn't intend to imply that they wouldn't do that. My point to BD was just that DDD would need changes for a port.

It needs an overhaul anyway. Too much experimentation, not enough content or polish.

I'd just rather they tweak things rather than adding a ton of new content, though. Not really worth the effort. Get on to making KH3 with full resource commitment plz.

I'd find the game perfectly serviceable if they actually made it so the damned dream eaters leveled up by EXP instead of Kills/Friendshit.(And got rid of the moods) Wouldn't be all that different from command meld in BBS that way.

As I've said before the reason why JF is the time of hype for KH fans is that they _always_ have something KH related there. But this year the reason I'm a bit worried is that SE has quite a lot on the table for JF outside of KH. 2.5 released not that long ago in Japan (even if announcing DDD.5 hardly has negative effects on it at this point but they might want to announce it later. 2.5 was announced way too early for a HD collection IMO especially compared to 1.5.).

KH3 is of course the big questionmark since it is already announced and we know they have footage to show even if it is super early/concept art. But they might want to keep it as a special bonus only for 2.5 launch event guests. I don't know how much more super early stuff they want to show to public. They might as well go with the route they took with XV and just start a blowout of information in 2016 and stay pretty quiet otherwise and have 2015 be the year of XV anyway.

Also I actually had reasonably big hopes for KH Theathrythm happening but with DQT announced you can scrap that for now.

Dark horse is of course Chi. Who knows if it has presence there.

Psxphile

KH3 is of course the big questionmark since it is already announced and we know they have footage to show even if it is super early/concept art. But they might want to keep it as a special bonus only for 2.5 launch event guests. I don't know how much more super early stuff they want to show to public. They might as well go with the route they took with XV and just start a blowout of information in 2016 and stay pretty quiet otherwise and have 2015 be the year of XV anyway.

N-no. Squeenix, pls!

I can't see them doing that. They have to throw their Japanese fanbase a bone, too.

I'd find the game perfectly serviceable if they actually made it so the damned dream eaters leveled up by EXP instead of Kills/Friendshit.(And got rid of the moods) Wouldn't be all that different from command meld in BBS that way.
Maybe if they had that AND command melding AND perma-learning of all passive abilities so your sole Dream Eater concern would be their effectiveness in battle, yeah.

Malyse

You know, this is me wildly speculating but KH3 is virtually the first major undertaking Square Enix is doing with a licensed engine. It's gonna be interesting seeing if that speeds up the process (like it should) vs their purported internal engine struggles of the past ~decade, or if it takes longer as a result for whatever reason.
Someone doesn't remember the Xbox 360.

Bladenic

So seven lights:

Sora
Riku
Kairi
Lea
Aqua
Ven

Last spot is what I'm iffy on. Terra seems a likely candidate but I wouldn't be surprised if he were a darkness guy. Roxas, I dunno. Def not Xion. Mickey?

Don't even know where to begin with the darknesses.

Malyse

So seven lights:

Sora
Riku
Kairi
Lea
Aqua
Ven

Last spot is what I'm iffy on. Terra seems a likely candidate but I wouldn't be surprised if he were a darkness guy. Roxas, I dunno. Def not Xion. Mickey?

Don't even know where to begin with the darknesses.
Nope. Not Sora. And deffo not Terra. Mickey is a light.

Darknesses

Braig
Isa
M Xehanort
Terra
Sora

So far. Possibly Y Xehanort, Ansem SoD, Xemnas.

Top Bottom