• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Famassu

Where is the best place to buy the KH 1.5/2.5 Soundtrack? I found it on cdJapan, but with shipping it will cost nearly $90.
Play-Asia was out of stock last I checked and it's more expensive at Nippon-Yasan (at least without p&p, not sure how much less/more it is with p&p than CDJapan). CDJapan is probably your best bet, although how is it that expensive? I got it for 52€ which is about 65$. Did you pick some fast shipping option?

Man, Dream Drop Distance could have been so much better if they just let us pick between Sora and Riku, Didn't have Flowmotion, and Spirits didn't exist. I don't understand why Nomura tried to bring so much new shit into this one game :(

zeemumu

Man, Dream Drop Distance could have been so much better if they just let us pick between Sora and Riku, Didn't have Flowmotion, and Spirits didn't exist. I don't understand why Nomura tried to bring so much new shit into this one game :(

I think that the drop system was implemented because they knew that we'd all do as much as we could of one before switching to the other and they wanted to keep their two story's relatively close together.

Malyse

You shouldn't post when you're drunk.

I'm a teetotaler. Disney buys Nintendo after Nintendo buys SEGA. The next smash has Sora, Spider-Man, Luke Skywalker, Elsa, P5 Protagonist and Buzz Lightyear.

Kingdom Hearts gets Tattooine and New York worlds and Link, Zamus, and Minato as characters.

This becomes canon:
zelda___star_wars__fsrx__by_zachula-d88j600.png

as does this:
zelda___tron__fsrx__by_zachula-d7z9ie2.png

zeemumu

I'm a teetotaler. Disney buys Nintendo after Nintendo buys SEGA. The next smash has Sora, Spider-Man, Luke Skywalker, Elsa, P5 Protagonist and Buzz Lightyear.

Kingdom Hearts gets Tattooine and New York worlds and Link, Zamus, and Minato as characters.

This becomes canon:
zelda___star_wars__fsrx__by_zachula-d88j600.png

as does this:
zelda___tron__fsrx__by_zachula-d7z9ie2.png

It sounds like you just want a professionally funded MUGEN.

Malyse

A mass crossover fighting game and rpg would be cool but would probably be too overwhelming. Plus some companies would have problems with certain characters fighting each other. That's why Dissidia wasn't a Kingdom Hearts fighting game.

Incorrect. Dissidia was never pitched. Nomura didn't think Disney would have gone for it so he didn't ask.

Malyse

They wouldn't have.

Except

Sleeping Beauty said:
A fire breathing dragon is stabbed in the heart with a magic sword and disintegrates into a smoky darkness
Mulan said:
Mulan pins Shanyu to the top of a roof and shoots a firework at him which causes the Leader of the Huns to literally explode.
The Lion King said:
Scar is blocked in by a wall of fire and is surrounded by his old posse of hyenas who have been starving under his reign. Through the shadows of the flame you see them attack and consume him.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame said:
A cracked gargoyle comes to life and throws Frollo off of a massive cathedral into a street filled with molten copper
Tarzan said:
Clayton gets himself tangled in some vines, and frantically chops away all of them except the ones around his neck, which lead to his fall and suspension in the air. A flash of lightning reveals his hanging body
Tangled said:
Mother Gothel begins to age at an impossibly fast rate, ultimately turns into a corpse, trips out of a tower window, and becomes a pile of dust.
The Little Mermaid said:
Amplified to a massive size, Ursula is rammed by the shards of a sinking ship that ultimately electrocute and sink her.
Snow White said:
The evil witch is first struck by lightning, then proceeds to fall off a cliff, get crushed by a boulder, and finally get eaten by vultures.
Oliver & Company said:
Sykes dies by getting hit with a train
The Nightmare Before Christmas said:
Oogie Boogie has his skin torn off and his insides burnt in a smelter.
The Incredibles said:
Syndrome's cape gets sucked into a jet propeller, is chopped into bits, and explodes.
Hopper is eaten alive by baby birds
Atlantis: The Lost Empire said:
Lyle T. Rourke is crystallized and shatters into a millions pieces when the balloon crashes.
The Princess and the Frog said:
Dr. Facilier is literally dragged to hell.
Beauty and the Beast said:
Gaston falls into a spiked ravine

Oh but let's not forget
66b06febb221c976b62f8f227451f1fc.gif

5477d31fe5a558e38cf28676fb7b6a4b.gif

and the medley of death in the Incredibles.

I categorically reject your assertion that Disney would have automatically rejected a KH fighter. ESPECIALLY considering how much they want in on the boys market. It all comes down to how it's pitched.

zeemumu

Those are villains. They got killed off in the KH games but the worst that a disney hero ever got was a large rock to the face. A fighter would have to be cartoony as hell (disney infinity levels) for Disney to allow something like Donald doing magic combos on Mickey.

Malyse

Those are villains.

Your point? Disney doesn't take issue with violence or death. That they would have all that in their films and would reject a fighter is absurd. Plus, they aren't that attached to the KH characters and the only traditional Disney playables would have been villains and Mickey, Donald, Goofy, with a possible Pete. You can't just say with anything remotely approaching certainty that Disney would have shot down a KH Dissidia. Especially when the concept of Kingdom Hearts itself was absurd before it happened. Did you play Dissidia? It's not that violent. Are you familiar with classic Disney? They fight all the time. It's not even a stretch.

zeemumu

Your point? Disney doesn't take issue with violence or death. That they would have all that in their films and would reject a fighter is absurd. Plus, they aren't that attached to the KH characters and the only traditional Disney playables would have been villains and Mickey, Donald, Goofy, with a possible Pete. You can't just say with anything remotely approaching certainty that Disney would have shot down a KH Dissidia. Especially when the concept of Kingdom Hearts itself was absurd before it happened.

The way dissidia is made, yes they would.

zeemumu

Whatever, knower of things you can't possibly know. Didn't realize we had a Disney exec here in the forums.

I don't see a serious-toned fighting game using disney characters (at least not the main ones) being a thing. Even their KH attacks are noticeably cartoony compared to other people.

Malyse

I don't see a serious-toned fighting game using disney characters (at least not the main ones) being a thing. Even their KH attacks are noticeably cartoony compared to other people.

Because they definitely wouldn't have matched the game tonally to Kingdom Hearts. There's absolutely no way they would have made it so KH Dissidia was in line with the other KH titles.

Caladrius

I swear, killing enemies as Aqua on critical is like getting blood from a stone. Even if I wasn't going to make Megaflare I'd still grind because it makes things that much of a pain otherwise.

Deviantart is the fucking worst

>Implying you couldn't find similarly stupid art on Pixv or image boards

i hate deviantart

To be fair, deliberately searching for that is pretty much asking for it. :[

Caladrius

It's not just the art. It's the combination of massive amounts of bad art and a lot (not gonna say majority) of the community being insufferable and childish.

I can't speak for the community, since I don't engage in it, but the Bad art is mostly just a consequence of Sturgeon's Revelation. Deviantart is the most popular western art website (Though I imagine Tumblr is going to supersede it in the coming years), so it only follows that most of the art would be middling or worse, since so many people are contributing pieces. That, combined with the Theorem of Narrow Interests means that finding a high quantity of low-quality art is inevitable, especially so for niche fandoms or unpopular characters. As somebody who spends days at a time browsing for art on Pixiv, there's a lot of chaff to sort out even on the best of public creative websites.

aravuus

I can't speak for the community, since I don't engage in it, but the Bad art is mostly just a consequence of Sturgeon's Revelation. Deviantart is the most popular western art website (Though I imagine Tumblr is going to supersede it in the coming years), so it only follows that most of the art would be middling or worse, since so many people are contributing pieces. That, combined with the Theorem of Narrow Interests means that finding a high quantity of low-quality art is inevitable, especially so for niche fandoms or unpopular characters. As somebody who spends days at a time browsing for art on Pixiv, there's a lot of chaff to sort out even on the best of public creative websites.

Yeah, sure

I've never even heard of pixv to be honest

aravuus

>implying that every site doesn't have a fringe

That art I posted earlier was from DA too. Arvalis is on DA. Sakimichan is on DA. But no, the whole site is only its worse elements. 😒

Eh, my post was just a quick one, obviously there are great artists in DA too. I'm not an idiot.

I do think this ">implying" bullshit should stay in the chans though.

aravuus

I think generalizations should stay off the internet. But Mick Jagger

I can't very well agree with you here now can I, otherwise I'd look like a massive hypocrite.

I'll just admit I didn't think my initial post through.

e: anyway. my first ever kh2 critical playthrough starts right now. i'll probably never actually finish it but whatever.

Malyse

I can't very well agree with you here now can I, otherwise I'd look like a massive hypocrite.

I'll just admit I didn't think my initial post through.

e: anyway. my first ever kh2 critical playthrough starts right now. i'll probably never actually finish it but whatever.

Good luck.
Prepare for some ass beatings

Caladrius

Critical isn't too bad, so long as you keep your defensive options in mind at all times and can use them correctly.

Yeah, sure

I've never even heard of pixv to be honest

Pixiv is pretty much the Japanese analogue to Deviantart (and as you expect, the art there is far more Japan and Anime/Manga -centric, which is a huge boon if that's your main area of interest.) As a tradeoff, Pixiv tends to have lower censorship standards, so that leads to....interesting fanart being rampant unless you filter it out (and even then that's not 100% effective.)

Caladrius

Halfway done with Aqua's story on Critical. Things got a lot more manageable when I got Fission Firaga through clever use of barrier surge in Dwarf Woodlands.

Castle of Dreams is still hell, though. :[

Speaking of that I reallllllllllly hope KH3's critical mode takes after 2's difficulty as opposed to BBS's.

-

Wish I still had my CRT, I could use that for my N64 games. No RGB converter for NTSC consoles, so they end up looking horrid on my LED Monitor.

Falk

that puzzling face
Speaking of that I reallllllllllly hope KH3's critical mode takes after 2's difficulty as opposed to BBS's.

I think it has a lot more to do with attempting to balance three wildly differing playstyles than it was an arbitrary "it should be this difficult" bar.

Looking forward to Frozen, Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar in KH3.

I know that Toy Story is what gets suggested the most (and it's got to be the most iconic Pixar franchise), but I feel as though the Incredibles would absolutely be a better choice as far as the whole action-adventure genre is concerned.

Also, color me very curious to see whether POTC makes a comeback (to roughly cover the events of POTC 2+3). Thematically, the Davy Jones (and return of Barbossa from the dead) stuff ought to dovetail quite nicely with where KH3 is likely to go - even moreso given that POTC3 (and the Davy Jones mythos) centers around a heart as its main macguffin. Seems like a very natural fit to me.

Ordinarily I'd argue that it's too long ago for Disney to focus on it unless it were something iconic like Tron, and I know the films weren't that well-received, but Disney's gearing up to produce POTC 5 and 6 in the next few years, so there are marketing-synergy reasons to do it too.

Caladrius

I think it has a lot more to do with attempting to balance three wildly differing playstyles than it was an arbitrary "it should be this difficult" bar.

They did a pretty bad job with that though.

Yeah, the only character who still feels "right" on critical without deliberately breaking the game is Terra. Ven and Aqua both need to grind in order to do not-pathetic amounts of damage and get access to the commands that make them shine. Aqua in particular suffers badly because at the start of the game her magic options are minimal, and on the physical side she's downright terrible. Takes two or three combos to even kill basic enemies, and Spellweaver turns her physical attacks into an invitation to get killed with their overly-long animations that don't even give invincibility frames. Even though it takes so long to reload magic at the start of the game, Aqua's magic attacks only do marginally more damage than her physical ones, so her DOT with magic is arguably even worse than on the physical side.

TVA are fairly well-balanced on lower difficulties, but the defense buff/attack nerf on critical screw over both Ventus and Aqua badly until they can grab the big guns to override it.

I just finished Kingdom Hearts 1 FM and it went by incredibly fast. It took me 21 hours and like a week and a half. I don't know if I wanna start RE:CoM since I don't really enjoy the game and I just want to move on to 2.5... but eh, maybe. The ending in KH 1 is still amazing and worth the whole ride.

also Aerora is incredibly OP, like, holy shit.

edit: fuck it, I can't do RE:CoM it's just not for me lol

Malyse

I just finished Kingdom Hearts 1 FM and it went by incredibly fast. It took me 21 hours and like a week and a half. I don't know if I wanna start RE:CoM since I don't really enjoy the game and I just want to move on to 2.5... but eh, maybe. The ending in KH 1 is still amazing and worth the whole ride.

also Aerora is incredibly OP, like, holy shit.

edit: fuck it, I can't do RE:CoM it's just not for me lol

You have not shown the mark of mastery.

Top Bottom