• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Tenrius

lol

You can skip that world if you so wish, depending if you have a mermaid fobia :d

I just beat it anyway. Not really a phobia, but they do kinda freak me out. I like that the "levels" are relatively short, by the way — keeps the experience fresh.

Oh man, Halloween Town is so amazing. That music!

aravuus

Anautistica.

The controls were what destroyed the world. It was boring otherwise too but thanks to how the merry trio controlled underwater, it went from boring to urgh hard to take. Thankfully it's a world you can finish pretty fast on subsequent playthroughs.

Tenrius

Are we talking about KH 1 Atlantica

because that was shit.
Like, shit.

Yeah, not that great. I used a guide to avoid much of the confusion (as warned by somebody earlier in this thread), so it was not that bad for me. Donald and Goofy were hilarious though.

Question, how should I go about interquels? I'd like to get 358/2 Days for the DS, but it seems I'm not supposed to play it until I finish KH2.

If I don't get a Toy Story world in KH3...
4yzanezu.jpg

Yeah, not that great. I used a guide to avoid much of the confusion (as warned by somebody earlier in this thread), so it was not that bad for me. Donald and Goofy were hilarious though.

Question, how should I go about interquels? I'd like to get 358/2 Days for the DS, but it seems I'm not supposed to play it until I finish KH2.

After KH1 the next game in the series is Chain of Memories (for GBA or the remake for PS2. HD remaster is included in the collection releasing in september for PS3). The bad stuff is that it entirely recycles the Disney worlds and stuff from KH1 and pretty much the only interesting content is the original stuff between the Disney worlds. Then there is the battle system based on cards that you either like or hate but it is quite different from KH1 and all the other games in the series. I would recommend trying it if at all possible to see if you can stand it (or even like it!) but it can be skipped if you don't really feel like doing it. If that happens you need to ask yourself if you are invested in the plot enough to watch the cutscenes on youtube or if you want just casually enjoy the main series you could go straight to KH2.

358/2 Days should be played after KH2 (and in my opinion it is the worst game in the series, sadly) but it can be played before KH2 if you really want but in that case I would REALLY recommend knowing Chain of Memories. However you want to do it you can go with either the DS game itself or go with the HD cutscenes included in the HD collection coming in september (and likely uploaded to youtube very soon after).

Dare I ask what is the main reason for you wanting to get Days in particular?

After KH1 the next game in the series is Chain of Memories (for GBA or the remake for PS2. HD remaster is included in the collection releasing in september for PS3). The bad stuff is that it entirely recycles the Disney worlds and stuff from KH1 and pretty much the only interesting content is the original stuff between the Disney worlds. Then there is the battle system based on cards that you either like or hate but it is quite different from KH1 and all the other games in the series. I would recommend trying it if at all possible to see if you can stand it (or even like it!) but it can be skipped if you don't really feel like doing it. If that happens you need to ask yourself if you are invested in the plot enough to watch the cutscenes on youtube or if you want just casually enjoy the main series you could go straight to KH2.

358/2 Days should be played after KH2 (and in my opinion it is the worst game in the series, sadly) but it can be played before KH2 if you really want but in that case I would REALLY recommend knowing Chain of Memories. However you want to do it you can go with either the DS game itself or go with the HD cutscenes included in the HD collection coming in september (and likely uploaded to youtube very soon after).

pls dont listen to napalm frank disregard his opinion and just play Days

Just kidding, Napalm's post is spot-on. I personally enjoyed Days a ton but that's because of the fact that the game is centered around Roxas and the Organization, gameplay-wise it's not really that good at all, tho the slot system is new and different enough from most of the games (Except KH RE:Coded but fuck that game)
Days is only worth playing through if you enjoy Roxas and want to know more about his story or what happened when Sora was asleep.

botty

Banned
No other game in the Kingdom Hearts series segues into another game as good as 358/2 Days. Days -into-> Kingdom Hearts 2 is the smoothest transition you will get. In terms of story, Days is more original and interesting than most of the other games. I mean... Birth By Sleep is just a rip off of star wars. Terra is Dork Vader, Aqua is Obi Wan, and Ven is Jar Jar Binks.

CoM has a good story, but it takes about an hour until anything ever really happens. Re:Coded is borderline non-canon. Yeah... get Days and embrace all of the existential craziness it has to offer. And sea-salt icecream.

Tenrius

Just because it's portable, for bedtime gaming, trips and such. And I'm just interested in trying it out because they say it's quite impressive technically for a DS game. Anyway, I probably will hold on until I at least finish KH1.

Just because it's portable, for bedtime gaming, trips and such. And I'm just interested in trying it out because they say it's quite impressive technically for a DS game. Anyway, I probably will hold on until I at least finish KH1.

Well do as you wish. The problem that I have talked about before is that even when they archieve technically impressive 3D DS game it just means it is still overall terrible looking game and I think it should have been 2D. For portable games you'd better look foreward to Birth By Sleep (PSP) and Dream Drop Distance (3DS) that not only are both very impressive games technically but they are lightyears ahead of Days when it comes to overall package. Of course I don't know if you have the hardware available.

Tenrius

Well do as you wish. The problem that I have talked about before is that even when they archieve technically impressive 3D DS game it just means it is still overall terrible looking game and I think it should have been 2D. For portable games you'd better look foreward to Birth By Sleep (PSP) and Dream Drop Distance (3DS) that not only are both very impressive games technically but they are lightyears ahead of Days when it comes to overall package. Of course I don't know if you have the hardware available.

I'll be able to borrow a PSP from my roommate when I return to the university for the next semester and I'm going to purchase a 3DS in the somewhat near future, too. Until then I the only handheld I have is my DS, so I just thought I'd pick up Days as a companion to KH1 of some sort. By the way, I'm somewhat partial to 3D games on the DS. They look weirdly charming, even with all their low-tech horrors.

I'll be able to borrow a PSP from my roommate when I return to the university for the next semester and I'm going to purchase a 3DS in the somewhat near future, too. Until then I the only handheld I have is my DS, so I just thought I'd pick up Days as a companion to KH1 of some sort. By the way, I'm somewhat partial to 3D games on the DS. They look weirdly charming, even with all their low-tech horrors.

I dunno how easy it is to hunt down GBA Chain of Memories but you might want to give that a shot if you can find it cheap and you got a DS with GBA BC since you want a portable experience. Quite charming game and as I said recommend at least that before Days.

Trigger

I'm wary of browser games. They seem built to extract profits from fans with as little effort possible. The art on the homepage is cute tho.

Wazzy

Banned
Squall looks so much better here than in FF8 and Dissidia.
What? I like Squall's look but it's no where near as good as his original's. The mullet is stupid and was obviously there to make him a mixture of Laguna. Get rid of that and the unnecessary belts everywhere and I would probably like this design the best.

I do prefer it over his Dissidia appearance however.
omg he's perfect ;___:
Wj8agVL.png

What is this?

RPGCrazied

Anyone see this? I wonder who is getting that, I'm getting it from Amazon, hope it comes with that. Probably GS though. ;/ Looks like a nice theme, and its dynamic!

kingdom-hearts-hd-1-5-remix-tema-dinamico-800x451.jpg

RPGCrazied

Why? Its just a theme! :p I like how they say limited time only for a digital item. Maybe they won't sell it on the PSN store?

And it does say the artworks aren't final. I wonder just how dynamic they are. Sora waving? I'm sure the animation will be little though.

Square Enix trolling.

Will it ever end? *sobs*

Why? Its just a theme! :p I like how they say limited time only for a digital item. Maybe they won't sell it on the PSN store?

And it does say the artworks aren't final. I wonder just how dynamic they are. Sora waving? I'm sure the animation will be little though.
But just think of the possibilities! One of them could have been Roxas, Xion, and Axel just sitting on the clock tower chillaxing and another one Sora, Riku, and Kairi hanging out on Destiny Islands.

But you're right, it's just a theme.

Reyne

But just think of the possibilities! One of them could have been Roxas, Xion, and Axel just sitting on the clock tower chillaxing and another one Sora, Riku, and Kairi hanging out on Destiny Islands.

But you're right, it's just a theme.

You mean the non-disney aspects of the games? As if they don't get enough love as it is. :p

Tenrius

How do you get back to the world map from the clock tower? I just sealed the keyhole and don't see a savepoint or anything. (EDIT: Oh, found it. Hard to notice!). By the way, I think Halloween Town might be my favorite world so far. The second encounter with Oogie Boogie is a bit awkward due to the camera and questionable platforming layout, but it's pretty much perfect otherwise. The clock tower looks amazing, too.

If you think any world was amazing up to this point, be advised that the next one is the best of all, maybe the best of the series.

It's absolutely the best in the series, no contest.

I'm really hoping that Castle Oblivion (or the giant background-castle in TWTNW, but CHRIST let's never go back to that world after KH2, 358/2 Days, and DDD all used it) can be something comparable in KH3.

The only consolation I would have if Olympus Colosseum returns in KHIII is more Hades. And we all know James Woods is good for another reprisal, guy seems to genuinely love voice-acting.

Yeah, I forgot about that, but yes, Hades himself is a really fantastic and fun character.

WolvenOne

Hmm, I look at this thread title, and instantly think.

"Aaaand you get a keyblade! You get a keyblade! We all get keyblades!"

Darn Oprah meme.

Top Bottom