• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Seda

BBS and DDD both have tons of subsystems, but they work much better in BBS for the most part because they're actually integrated with each other rather than distracting from each other; in practice, what this means is that if you just keep battling and making story progress, you'll get plenty of positive reinforcement (i.e. reward) in the form of constant "yay! you leveled something up!" popups. In DDD, you kinda keep needing to switch into the Water Barrel minigame or otherwise spend tons of time in the menu in order to make progress. This is directly the result of the difference in their progression systems and the integration thereof.

Yep, in DDD it feels more like a distraction than being well integrated into the game.

They should allow you to put more than one mod in each ability, like Days.
Then, instead of having for example Restore Barrier, you could have Guard + Barrier + Restore. Or things like Guard + Shock + Long Guard.

They should allow you to put more than one mod in each ability, like Days.
Then, instead of having for example Restore Barrier, you could have Guard + Barrier + Restore. Or things like Guard + Shock + Long Guard.

I think this would be really cool, yeah. Scrapping AP is a great step forward in BBS/DDD, and so is the varied set of movement/blocking/dodging abilities that help to better define the way each character plays, but an expansion of that kind of system would be really cool. Like, for example, you could over time get more 'block' slots available, and also obtain assorted abilities to equip or reequip into those slots (like a full shield all around you, automatic counterattack, filling up hp/mp/special meter with successful block, stun surrounding enemies, et cetera). Really nice idea, and it'd also allow for a lot of different potential "builds" for each character beyond simply their command deck loadout.

aravuus

Ah, good old water barrel minigame. I hope they learned from that mistake, I don't want to ever run into an atrocity like it again in a KH game.

The other thing I disliked about DDD was that the mons' passive skills didn't stick with out when you changed to another dream eater.

Let's imagine KH3 where the main core of combat system is based upon the command deck system from BBS. Now let's think how we can improve it.

One thing I have been crying before yet again is customization. BBS did it well but as you said in the end it will usually boil down to pretty similar character every time. Thankfully at least BBS had 3 different characters so it made it a lil more interesting. However I have before suggested that KH3 could use a Skill Tree system in addition to command deck when it comes to customization.

Let's say there is 3 skill trees: classic sword, staff and shield. Your character would become very different depending how you spend your skill points in these trees (1 skill point per level or bonus level?) and then further customize the abilities you have thru the command deck. And the skill tree you choose to invest in would change your combat deck. There could be tiers where you would unlock a bonus deck slot but you could only put certain command in that particular slot depending what skill tree you are using (only attack command if sword, only magic command if staff and only item if shield for example. Also to improve the progression you could be locked out for equipping more powerful abilities till you were high enough in the skill tree. You could have tiered unlocks depending what tree you were using (another example: if you were in the sword skilltree you could only equip the most basic magic abilities but would have access to better attack commands earlier and vice versa for staff. Shield would give you more balanced options giving access to level 2 of both attack and magic commands while it would be level 3 magic commands and level 1 attack commands for staff. Then each time you get to the next tier in the skill three the level of abilities you could equip would increase by 1.

So even simpler example: lets say the classic spells Fire, Fira and Firaga would be abilities level 1, 5 and 10 for example. If you were in the staff skilltree you could use Firaga spell at the time when shield could use Fira and sword could only use Fire until even higher in the tree. And other way round when with staff you could equip something basic like Quick Blitz you could be rocking with Zantetsuken if you had sword.

And not to be a total bore and prevent using cool abilities depending what you were invested in there could be 1 special deck slot unlocked at some point that you could equip anything you wanted.

That was just a little ramble how this could be handled. I could speculate even more how the skilltree system could work in KH (who doesn't love skill trees?)

Let's imagine if drive forms made a return. Let's say there were the classic Valor and Wisdom form to represent sword and staff but introduce a new one for shield. Guard form or something, perhaps green or even keyblade armor? They would work pretty much the same way they do in KH2, maybe a little toned down.

Now imagine that the very last ability you would get in the skill trees would be you becoming playable in that form permanently. For example when you hit level 50 or something in the sword skilltree you could be in Valor form all the time. For Valor you'd become faster and able to dual wield, for Wisdom you could shoot instead of melee attack and your spells would enhance/you'd be able to cast them while moving and for Guard form you'd be able to stand more damage, regenerate HP, your guard ability would block from all sides and you'd get insanely sick counterattack move after a successful block!
Pls hire me SE

Reyne

Also there should be a skill tree for Donald and Goofy. That way I can maximize everything they are useful for, like healing items/cure and casting protective spells, and then invest the rest of the skill points in Lucky Strike, EXP boost, Cheer etc. etc.

aravuus

Super High School Level Convoluted Plot, Kingdom Hearts!

I just wish everything will make sense in the end. Or at least most of it will. I just can't remember what's going on. Ven was a vital part of the Chi blade, right? Half of him went into the blade, half inside Sora's heart, right? And that's why Roxas looks exactly like Ven, right?

e: not necessarily bad, just convoluted as all hell

Super High School Level Convoluted Plot, Kingdom Hearts!

I just wish everything will make sense in the end. Or at least most of it will. I just can't remember what's going on. Ven was a vital part of the Chi blade, right? Half of him went into the blade, half inside Sora's heart, right? And that's why Roxas looks exactly like Ven, right?

e: not necessarily bad, just convoluted as all hell

Ven destroys the blade->Ven's heart is damaged->Heart goes to Sora for healing/safekeeping->Roxas borns with Ven looks because of this.

Half didn't go to the blade, the blade was pretty much his whole heart (Ven half+Vanitas half).

aravuus

Oh ok, well that makes a lot more sense then! Lol

I probably have to replay the whole series a bit before we get KH 3 to actually remember what's going on.

Roxas was first. Roxas is more badass. Roxas made an appearance in more than one game. People like Roxas more than Ven overall guys. Give it up.
Ven was first, he was probably 25 years before Roxas.

Roxas got taken out by a single Heartless. Ventus went to take on friggin Maleficent as his first boss if he so wished!

Ven made an appearance in KH2/FM, Days/Days Movie, BBS/FM, DDD.

People hate Roxas more than Ven overall.

UxLFJx3.gif

I do like Roxas more than Ven tho but I sure as hell don't want them both to be back. Not really a big fan of either.

Roxas got taken out by a single Heartless. Ventus went to take on friggin Maleficent as his first boss if he so wished!

UxLFJx3.gif

I do like Roxas more than Ven tho but I sure as hell don't want them both to be back. Not really a big fan of either.
Where would I be without you arguing Napalm <3

Roxas > Ven 4 ever sorry

TheMink

UxLFJx3.gif

Hehehehe

What are the chances that we are going to get more than one character to play as in KH 3. It seems like the most KH games let you use multiple characters (CoM, Days, KH 2, BBS, DDD) So I hope KH 3 doesn't mark the end of that.

Seda

What are the chances that we are going to get more than one character to play as in KH 3. It seems like the most KH games let you use multiple characters (CoM, Days, KH 2, BBS, DDD) So I hope KH 3 doesn't mark the end of that.

Considering BBS and DDD had multiple playable characters I think it's safe to say KH3 will.

At the very least, there will be segments where the player controls someone else (like Roxas, Mickey, Riku in KH2). But I bet it'll be more like BBS/DDD.

Tenrius

How do summons work in KH1? The summoned characters don't seem to attack the enemy, they just wander around. And I'm not sure I fully understand what charging does. Got to Monstro, by the way, level 25.

How do summons work in KH1? The summoned characters don't seem to attack the enemy, they just wander around. And I'm not sure I fully understand what charging does. Got to Monstro, by the way, level 25.

Different Summons do different things. Simba is primarily for attacking, Tinkerbell is pretty much HP Regeneration + Auto Life, Bambi drops a ton of MP, and Genie uses a bunch of magic attacks, for example.

You need to manually use the attacks of your summons. Charging increases the power of Simbas roar that does AOE damage.

With Genie you need to use lock-on to use the attacks.

I can imagine summons being way more useful in 1.5 when the attacks are on triangle button so it is much more convenient to change between your own attacks and them (or both at the same time with Genie for example).

Tenrius

Yeah, attacking with a separate button would be nice. It was a bit hectic, so I didn't realise there was a separate command for the summon's attacks. I also actually only tried summoning Simba, although I also have Bambi and Genie (and now another yet unknown summon I found in the Monstro's mouth).

You need to manually use the attacks of your summons. Charging increases the power of Simbas roar that does AOE damage.

With Genie you need to use lock-on to use the attacks.

I can imagine summons being way more useful in 1.5 when the attacks are on triangle button so it is much more convenient to change between your own attacks and them (or both at the same time with Genie for example).
Nope. Still useless. Except for Tink and Bambi, of course.

Groof

On my original run of KH1 I didn't use summons even once. Never understood their deal back then. Might use them some more in 1.5!

Back then I made the mistake of ignoring Bambi because Bambi. When I finally decided to give it a chance, I'm swimming in blue balls. Feels good.

Tenrius

Pegasus cup was going well, until I got to the actual boss. Leon and Yuffie killed me pretty fast, it's hard to dodge both Yuffie's projectiles and Leon's fast plunging strikes, attack AND heal everyone at the same time.

Caladrius

Pegasus cup was going well, until I got to the actual boss. Leon and Yuffie killed me pretty fast, it's hard to dodge both Yuffie's projectiles and Leon's fast plunging strikes, attack AND heal everyone at the same time.

Go after Yuffie first, and hard. Her attacks and distraction do far more damage than Leon ever could. When she's down Leon is tough, but manageable.

Nomura would make a really good Disney comic artist. I really think the way he draws the characters is up there with AAA regular Disney artists. Of course it is a lil different when drawing full comics than few high detail concept art (unless you are a mangod/madman like Don Rosa for example) and I don't know how the enviroments ect would turn out but seriously, it is extremwly surprising how genuinely great hia character art looks, eapecially Donald. I would be interested from what artist/Disney work he got his inspiration.

With the exeption of stuff like Donalds beltzipper hat ;). But its ok with KH and as I have said it is surprising how something so stupid can fit so well.

botty

Banned
the belts and zippers are obviously symbolic of the importance of friendship and sticking together .....obviously. right?

Top Bottom