• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

i was wondering, was there ever released Nomura Artwork like this:

1615615022_1363480878.jpg

For Riku, but his Kingdom Hearts 2 version? I can't seem to find anything but rough sketches, or the actual game renders...

i was wondering, was there ever released Nomura Artwork like this:

For Riku, but his Kingdom Hearts 2 version? I can't seem to find anything but rough sketches, or the actual game renders...

Outside of KH2FM cover and FM+ artwork I don't think there is any final KH2 Riku artwork.

Village

question.

So Kh3 is a thing, its a real thing and its happening, and the last two (console) games sora and riku had different outfits.

If say namura or whoever decided to make new outfits for them, what do you think they should look like.

I am going to try my hand and making a thing, I was working on a smash bros thing.. but I lost.... the file the date corrupted. Urge the maim rising. Anyways Since that is gone I decided to work on this, or atleast try.

Anyways what do you all think outfits would look like.

question.

So Kh3 is a thing, its a real thing and its happening, and the last two (console) games sora and riku had different outfits.

If say namura or whoever decided to make new outfits for them, what do you think they should look like.

I am going to try my hand and making a thing, I was working on a smash bros thing.. but I lost.... the file the date corrupted. Urge the maim rising. Anyways Since that is gone I decided to work on this, or atleast try.

Anyways what do you all think outfits would look like.

Hoodie for Sora as usual. With blue being the main colour after red and black we already had. Not quite as blue as wisdom form tho.

For Riku I expect something similar to KH2/DDD. Or maybe they will do a KH1 throwback with something yellow.

oh wow, limit form is ridiculous. i had no idea ;_;

Seriously.

- Doesn't require Donald or Goofy to activate.
- Grants one of the best abilities in the game (Dodge Roll)
- Easy to level up (Based on how many hits each limit lands; The Mushroom in the Agrabah treasure room is practically made for grinding Limit Form out)
- Has two of the most damaging combo finishers in the game (Zantetsuken & Hurricane Blast; Zantetsuken actually is the single most damaging finisher in the game, if I'm remembering right.)
- All 4 limits deal great damage, have full invulnerability like in KH1FM, and restore HP with every hit.
- You get it relatively early on in the game.
- Pretty snazzy outfit, to boot.

May not be as flashy as the dual wielding drive forms, but in terms of raw damage output and general utility, Limit Form is unmatched.

Psxphile

Limit form is everything Brave Form should have been.

Brave Form is all flash and little substance. I couldn't wait to finish leveling it up to its MAX so I wouldn't have to use it anymore. Not being able to use magic (mainly Cure) limits its potential. Limit Form technically has the same... er, limitation... but the Limit Breaks do a good job of making up for it.

LIMIT

Tenrius

I've come to appreciate BBS quite a bit more by now. The story seems to pick up right around the Braig battle and the locations are a bit more interesting (especially Disney Town). I went to Deep Space right after that and that was a bad decision: Experiment 221 completely obliterated me. Turns out Deep Space is battle level 6 while all the others are merely 5, so I decided to go somewhere else. But that battle should be pretty hard even on a higher level.

oni_saru

so I started this about a year or two ago. I've been pretty slow with my progress.

When KH was first released, I didn't really like the gameplay. I kept buying the games for my sis since she loved the ps2 ones. Unfortunately she really dislikes playing on handhelds. So I decided i would give the KH series another go.

BbS- I absolutely loved this one. So far it's my favorite. The gameplay was so much fun. Kind of a mistake to have started with this one since everything after so far has been quite the downgrade!

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix- This time around I didn't hate it. It was enjoyable enough. Proud mode wasn't that bad. Though I didn't try any of the optional bosses. I just did the bare minimum to get the secret secret movie.

reCoM- At first I didn't really like the card system but the more I played it and understood how it worked, I fell in love with it. It's actually pretty good and kinda easy to break. Sonic Blade ftw!! Riku's part was super easy.

358/2 Days- This is where I'm at in my progress and I think i may just skip this one. I absolutely hate the gameplay here. It's terrible. About 11 hours in and it just hasn't gotten any better. I really can't stand playing this game.

So because I really don't want to skip any of the games (no matter how terrible) I'm thinking of starting 358/2 Days all over again and doing a speed run of it on easy. Is easy that much different from normal mode? Or should I just really give up on this pos game?

so I started this about a year or two ago. I've been pretty slow with my progress.

When KH was first released, I didn't really like the gameplay. I kept buying the games for my sis since she loved the ps2 ones. Unfortunately she really dislikes playing on handhelds. So I decided i would give the KH series another go.

BbS- I absolutely loved this one. So far it's my favorite. The gameplay was so much fun. Kind of a mistake to have started with this one since everything after so far has been quite the downgrade!

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix- This time around I didn't hate it. It was enjoyable enough. Proud mode wasn't that bad. Though I didn't try any of the optional bosses. I just did the bare minimum to get the secret secret movie.

reCoM- At first I didn't really like the card system but the more I played it and understood how it worked, I fell in love with it. It's actually pretty good and kinda easy to break. Sonic Blade ftw!! Riku's part was super easy.

358/2 Days- This is where I'm at in my progress and I think i may just skip this one. I absolutely hate the gameplay here. It's terrible. About 11 hours in and it just hasn't gotten any better. I really can't stand playing this game.

So because I really don't want to skip any of the games (no matter how terrible) I'm thinking of starting 358/2 Days all over again and doing a speed run of it on easy. Is easy that much different from normal mode? Or should I just really give up on this pos game?
If you have a ps3, you can get kh 1.5 and watch 358/2, letting you see what happens but skipping the gameplay part.

Watch the 358/2 Days movie that is a part of the HD ReMIX.

Skip Re:Coded. It's one cutscene of value is the secret ending. There is absolutely NO reason to put yourself through that game. If you REALLY want to experience it, wait for the movie version in the 2.5 HD ReMIX.

Tsunamo

I'm curious at how old everyone was when the first game came out?

I was 9.
I was 7. I seem to recall going in on buying the game blindly with my friend back then (which was no easy decision as new releases in Australia back then were around $100-120 with no alternative to get it cheaper other than going to another country and buying it from there) and I certainly didn't regret it!

I was 12 when it came out, and I remember reading the magazines and drooling at the game, because we had a PS1. When my brother bought a PS2 in 2004, it was my first game. It was amazing.

12 here as well. I first spotted the game in a demo station that christmas and didn't have time to really play it. Seemed interesting tho. Only later on I learned that it had FF cameos and it got me pretty hyped (even tho I was a huge disney fan back then). Well one of my friends got it and we had tons of fun with the game. I beat the game at his place. I got my own PS2 few months later and got it as my first game even tho I already completed it.

Got KH DDD for like 20 dollars two weeks ago and I'm done with it.

It's a good Kingdom Hearts game, not as good as BBS like at all but it's good enough. Enjoyed playing as Riku a lot more than Sora, Sora felt kind of boring. The worlds felt kind of empty but not as much as BBS' worlds. My favourite Disney world was Las Cites des Cloches and The World That Never Was is my favourite world. The Command Deck was really boring, you couldn't mix commands or level them up. Also they way in which you got Abilities is the worst system in KH imo.

The story was ok, it got pretty messy but I think I got the gist of it.

Having abilities tied to the dream eaters was not fun :(

DDD, with regard to game design, is a huge mess, IMO. And yeah.

BBS got it right - KH is at its best when you have to equip your action abilities but your passive abilities are all permanent. Sort of the opposite of KH1/2, in which your action abilities (and I'm talking stuff like Firaga) are permanent but you need to fuss around with your passive abilities a bunch.

aravuus

Having abilities tied to the dream eaters was not fun :(

I hated that so goddamn much

Can't remember, when you got/learnt an action ability in BBS, were you able to equip/unequip it whenever you wanted? If so, I agree with badcrumble. When you learn something, it should stay with you forever.

I don't exactly mind AP cost with passive abilities either, assuming you gain enough AP to equip every single one at some point. I don't like making compromises, I WANT EVERYTHING

I hated that so goddamn much

Can't remember, when you got/learnt an action ability in BBS, were you able to equip/unequip it whenever you wanted? If so, I agree with badcrumble. When you learn something, it should stay with you forever.

I don't exactly mind AP cost with passive abilities either, assuming you gain enough AP to equip every single one at some point. I don't like making compromises, I WANT EVERYTHING

In BBS you get to keep an action ability forever once it's obtained (and equip or unequip it as you choose in your Command Deck), but the same is also the case in DDD.

In BBS you get to keep passive abilities forever too. In DDD, passive abilities depend on the Dream Eaters you have in your party.

DDD should have made it possible to upgrade any of your Dream Eaters to have starred stats instead of having to start them out that way, IMO.

aravuus

So yeah, BBS' system is pretty much perfect. I'm not sure why I'm still waiting for KH2.5HD when I could just emulate the game

e: sorry, was it KHII.5HD? What a weird name

e2: sorry, dumb*, not weird

DDD should have made it possible to upgrade any of your Dream Eaters to have starred stats instead of having to start them out that way, IMO.

DDD should have had a lot of things

Caladrius

So yeah, BBS' system is pretty much perfect. I'm not sure why I'm still waiting for KH2.5HD when I could just emulate the game

But if you get 2.5 you can fight No Heart IN HD!

I don't think they're going to make any sort of weird systems that fundamentally influence the gameplay like the dream eaters did. They know this is a big, climactic title and probably understand that people will want to cut to the chase.

I should hope.

Sigh, yeah, pretty much.

I also am reasonably sure (based on the video we've seen) that KH3 won't have the Command Deck in it, and given that that's likely to be the case, I'm not sure whether it'll be able to have a move set nearly as big and varied as the ones in BBS.

I have a feeling that at this point, the only way the Command Deck will show up in KHIII is if it gets used for a separate character (Riku?) or something.

''Empty worlds'' wouldn't be much of an issue if there was a good element of exploration. KH1 had it best but even then it was riddled with less than perfect platforming. They really could use some fresh take on the level design. I still think one of the best things KH3 could add is some sort of dungeons be it optional or mandatory (or both of course). Hidden treasure and challenging fights. KH1 is actually perhaps the worst when it comes to mandatory encounter design against normal enemies, go figure.

Honestly one thing I am afraid is that the pressure of ''next gen KH'' could hurt the level design. I just wish they got some level designers with a passion for this kind of stuff and worried about the visual stuff after.

What KH3 should be:
Wi8vxXQ.png

What KH3 probably will be is huuuge empty areas with insane amount of enemies, heartless tornadoes and whatnot and enough room to justify over the top Disney ride summons. Oh well. FPS genre transformed from dungeony designs to open world and that is fine but I think an action game like KH (that isn't 100% action focused like DMC or something) could really benefit from some more complex levels. I'd like something akin to the Arkham games maybe? ''Big'' open areas that you start with to go explore different smaller and more design heavy areas.

TnK

KH 2 worlds are fine, BBS worlds are the most empty with DDD behind. Days and RE:Coded shouldn't count because those are DS games.

imo
I would also put KH2 with the others IMO.

Everyone thinks that because its true,lol.
yep, hence why the question was asked.

''Empty worlds'' wouldn't be much of an issue if there was a good element of exploration. KH1 had it best but even then it was riddled with less than perfect platforming. They really could use some fresh take on the level design. I still think one of the best things KH3 could add is some sort of dungeons be it optional or mandatory (or both of course). Hidden treasure and challenging fights. KH1 is actually perhaps the worst when it comes to mandatory encounter design against normal enemies, go figure.

Honestly one thing I am afraid is that the pressure of ''next gen KH'' could hurt the level design. I just wish they got some level designers with a passion for this kind of stuff and worried about the visual stuff after.

What KH3 should be:
Wi8vxXQ.png

What KH3 probably will be is huuuge empty areas with insane amount of enemies, heartless tornadoes and whatnot and enough room to justify over the top Disney ride summons. Oh well. FPS genre transformed from dungeony designs to open world and that is fine but I think an action game like KH (that isn't 100% action focused like DMC or something) could really benefit from some more complex levels. I'd like something akin to the Arkham games maybe? ''Big'' open areas that you start with to go explore different smaller and more design heavy areas.

This, and a thousand times this. KH1 had some really cool explorable stages like Aghraba and Hallow Bastion. More complex and interestingly explorable stages will be a huge bonus in KH3. KH2 suffered from the same problem FFXIII did, which was linearity. I was surprised that no one minded this at that time, while it was one of the reasons I hated vanialla KH2. Another way to make it less dead is by adding NPCs to the stages. Not necessarily Disney NPCs, just some originals added in the game. That or add more original stages with original NPCs like Hallow Bastion and Twilight Town.

Is that from Doom 2 btw?

KH 2 worlds are fine, BBS worlds are the most empty with DDD behind. Days and RE:Coded shouldn't count because those are DS games.

imo

KHII's worlds are far from fine. Not only are they empty (with the exception of Hollow Bastion), but the level design is almost non-existent. Birth by Sleep's worlds are slightly less empty but still pretty bare (though it fixes the non existent level design thing), and DDD has far and away the emptiest worlds in the entire series. Not counting moogle shops, there aren't even any NPCs to be found.

And why shouldn't the DS games count? Re: Coded has more NPCs and general things to do (sidequests, etc) in one room of Traverse Town than the entirety of Dream Drop Distance.

Top Bottom