• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Something I wish would get modded into KH1FM/KH2FM now that low RAM is no longer around as an excuse is having guest characters appear *in addition* to Donald and Goofy. Sure it'd have an impact on balance that might need to be adjusted for, but I can't think of any way it'd actually do anything but improve the basic game. Especially in KH2 where Cure is no longer a spell you need to target at a specific party member.

I love having guest Disney characters (or Auron or Riku) in the party but I hate kicking Donald or Goofy out.

Something I wish would get modded into KH1FM/KH2FM now that low RAM is no longer around as an excuse is having guest characters appear *in addition* to Donald and Goofy. Sure it'd have an impact on balance that might need to be adjusted for, but I can't think of any way it'd actually do anything but improve the basic game. Especially in KH2 where Cure is no longer a spell you need to target at a specific party member.

I love having guest Disney characters (or Auron or Riku) in the party but I hate kicking Donald or Goofy out.

At the bare minimum they better fix this for KH3

At the bare minimum they better fix this for KH3

Yeah. Especially in KH1 there's so little incentive to put guest characters in your party past a certain point because Donald turns into such an offensive powerhouse and Goofy's got MP Gift; none of the guest characters can really compare to that. KH2's guests (and D&G) are fairly ineffectual compared to the powerhouse that is Sora anyway, outside of the fact that they're walking Limit Breaks for when you want one of those, so it's fine to swap Donald or Goofy out for them - I just don't *like* to because I like Donald and Goofy.

Slaythe

Yeah. Especially in KH1 there's so little incentive to put guest characters in your party past a certain point because Donald turns into such an offensive powerhouse and Goofy's got MP Gift; none of the guest characters can really compare to that. KH2's guests (and D&G) are fairly ineffectual compared to the powerhouse that is Sora anyway, outside of the fact that they're walking Limit Breaks for when you want one of those, so it's fine to swap Donald or Goofy out for them - I just don't *like* to because I like Donald and Goofy.

I'm against it.

4 characters on the field would confuse the action a lot. I really like the pacing and balance of 2 :/ . I also like that you have to choose and plan ahead instead of having everything all the time.

That being said, I'd like the option to play Sora ALONE. Give him a bonus to make up for it. But I guess that'd be a problem for cutscenes.

I'm against it.

4 characters on the field would confuse the action a lot. I really like the pacing and balance of 2 :/ . I also like that you have to choose and plan ahead instead of having everything all the time.

That being said, I'd like the option to play Sora ALONE. Give him a bonus to make up for it. But I guess that'd be a problem for cutscenes.
I don't think KH1 or KH2 require you to pay a lot of attention to what your partners are doing tbh - it's not like you have to get close to them to execute cooperative moves or anything. Just keep an eye on their HP bars.

LAA

Actually got my copies today! (Was expecting one today which I ordered by mistake which a friend is having now), but I wasnt expecting my limited edition to come today!

Pin collection is complete now!

Now the question is what's the best way to go about platinuming KH1...

Seems like doing 1 playthroughs for 100% on proud/critical then another speed run and default keyblade? I'd rather just do 1 playthrough though

Actually got my copies today! (Was expecting one today which I ordered by mistake which a friend is having now), but I wasnt expecting my limited edition to come today!

Pin collection is complete now!

Now the question is what's the best way to go about platinuming KH1...

Seems like doing 1 playthroughs for 100% on proud/critical then another speed run and default keyblade? I'd rather just do 1 playthrough though
Way easier to do 2. With short load times+cutscene skip you can easily do a beginner run in like 4-5 hours or so.

My suggestion is probably to do the beginner/speed/no continue/no equipment change playthrough first in order to re-familiarize yourself with things for your Proud run through, unless you're worried about forgetting where to go in Wonderland and Deep Jungle.

LAA

Way easier to do 2. With short load times+cutscene skip you can easily do a beginner run in like 4-5 hours or so.

Oh cool, didn't think it'd only take 4-5 hours. Thought it'd be way longer than that even on a speed run. Making me feel better doing it twice then.

Finally Friday in Australia, heading to the store to grab my copy. I'm beyond excited for this, I can't wait to play my favourite series all over again

Lightning

Banned
This game seems harder than I remember. Some of these fights are hard and my timing seems off. Loving the game but I'm taking a lot of unusual damage in kh2fm that I don't normally take.

Teggy

Are the levels of the guest characters you can put in your party in KH1 a guide for what level you should be on that world?

tdwig

Neo Member
Oh cool, didn't think it'd only take 4-5 hours. Thought it'd be way longer than that even on a speed run. Making me feel better doing it twice then.

Yeah took me 5 hour run to get the speed trophy + unchanging armor + no continue trophy on beginner.
Would have been waaay faster if unchanging armor wasn't a thing lol, damage output is very low towards end game with just the kingdom key.

Banzai

Probably been asked but: What's your favorite way to grind on Destiny Islands?

1) Selphie
2) Wakka
3) Tidus
4) Heartless

I think Selphie is the easiest and most efficient because of the 2xp per block. I know a lot of people like Tidus though.

I got to level 9 with dusk route this time. Though to be fair I only stayed that long because my girlfriend wanted to see all cutscenes and wasn't there at the time. Can't just not play though you know.

Yukinari

I just wanna get KH1 proud over with so i can play the superior game 2.

The claustrophobic rooms, bad camera, and uphill struggle from lack of combat options is showing the age of this game. Not to mention the lack of good worlds. Great movies with wasted potential.

Kas

Probably been asked but: What's your favorite way to grind on Destiny Islands?

1) Selphie
2) Wakka
3) Tidus
4) Heartless

I think Selphie is the easiest and most efficient because of the 2xp per block. I know a lot of people like Tidus though.

I got to level 9 with dusk route this time. Though to be fair I only stayed that long because my girlfriend wanted to see all cutscenes and wasn't there at the time. Can't just not play though you know.

Okay, so my favorite used to be Wakka, because I felt like a badass for hitting the ball back and hurting him.

But then this time around, I figured out I could get about 17-20 EXP from Selphie every go around.

So easily her.

I'm at level 13 and on proud, and I just got to Deep Jungle. Trickmaster easily kicked my ass but Jesus CHRIST Cerberus was hard without scan. I stupidly picked shield and dropped sword, so I don't learn Scan till I'm level 21.

Yay.

robotrock

Banned
I just wanna get KH1 proud over with so i can play the superior game 2.

The claustrophobic rooms, bad camera, and uphill struggle from lack of combat options is showing the age of this game. Not to mention the lack of good worlds. Great movies with wasted potential.

yeah it really showed its age with that PS3 remaster.

hopeful the 60fps on the new version makes it a bit better

Yukinari

yeah it really showed its age with that PS3 remaster.

hopeful the 60fps on the new version makes it a bit better

Im loving the near instant load times and 60FPS but it only lessens the blow a bit.

Atlantica is still garbage whether or not its in 60FPS.

Banzai

I'm at level 13 and on proud, and I just got to Deep Jungle. Trickmaster easily kicked my ass but Jesus CHRIST Cerberus was hard without scan. I stupidly picked shield and dropped sword, so I don't learn Scan till I'm level 21.

I think I'm lv11-12 (proud) and just went to Deep Jungle, without doing the Collosseum. Clayton will be a pain...

Got the game finally. 60fps is nice and the IQ is great but there is something a little wonky about the way KH1 camera works or I have a really bad memory. There is a slight delay/acceleration that I don't remember from before. Maybe it's just more noticeable in 60fps.

Need to test 2FM later to see if there is any stuttering.

edit: and the physics of Wakka's balls are totally off, it's like he is throwing bowling balls lol.

Slaythe

Got the game finally. 60fps is nice and the IQ is great but there is something a little wonky about the way KH1 camera works or I have a really bad memory. There is a slight delay/acceleration that I don't remember from before. Maybe it's just more noticeable in 60fps.

Need to test 2FM later to see if there is any stuttering.

edit: and the physics of Wakka's balls are totally off, it's like he is throwing bowling balls lol.

Are you ever gonna edit the OP and state that the stutters are caused by an install glitch that can be fixed by reinstalling the game, and that the majority of people don't experience them ?

evilsin

Can't wait to dive into all of this glory once I finish Persona 5. Was trying to platinum DDD before the release, but Persona arrived sooner, so those pesky Special Portals will have to wait. Once I platinum all the games from the 1.5+2.5 collection I will finish up 0.2 and gonna be patiantly waiting for KH3 to finally grace us with it's presence.

Docpan

Tried to get into KH1... I just can't do it.

Where to start? Horrific camera with input delay on its movements likely due to the original being controlled with the shoulder buttons a la PS1 days.

Insanely mind numbing fetch quests front loading the game followed by trial and error town exploration for no reason. This was acceptable filler in the late 32 but era. In 2017? Let's keep it moving.

Cringeworthy dialogue. Repetitive combat with no "weight" to it and any enemy was taking forever to kill.

I could go on. I dropped it with 4.5 hours on the game time clock.

Gave KH2 a shot for the hell of it and instantly everything is miles better. Like, infinitely better. KH2 was clearly built from the ground up in an era where 3D action platforming learned how to be fun.

- FOV not up Sora's ass
- Input fast, responsive, and combat feels more interactive
- Graphically unbelievable at 4K mode at least as far as IQ is concerned. These assets came from a ps2??
- Definite filler present in the lengthy prologue, but with far superior voice acting
- It's just a joy to move around

KH 1 was clearly developed initially on the ps1, or started so early on in the ps2's life that they still held onto shitty gaming institutions of the 32 bit era. Sorry guys I hated what I played that much.... first time player for both

BBs next?

Banzai

Insanely mind numbing fetch quests front loading the game followed by trial and error town exploration for no reason. This was acceptable filler in the late 32 but era. In 2017? Let's keep it moving.

All of those complaints are how you feel and that is fine, but this one I don't get. "Mind numbing fetch quests" and "trial and error town exploration"? Might as well make Destiny Islands and Traverse Town one big cutscene.

Has anyone else run into a sound glitch in KH1? Sometimes I get this swooshing sound in the background and it won't go away until I restart the game.

Docpan

All of those complaints are how you feel and that is fine, but this one I don't get. "Mind numbing fetch quests" and "trial and error town exploration"? Might as well make Destiny Islands and Traverse Town one big cutscene.

Has anyone else run into a sound glitch in KH1? Sometimes I get this swooshing sound in the background and it won't go away until I restart the game.

If I could have skipped it I would have. I had 3 gameplay hours on the clock when I finished those 2 towns and was entirely drained of all enthusiasm afterwards. I had to actually look online to proceed in Traverse town because Donald and Goofy kept missing me no matter what door I walked through and I had no clue whatsoever how to proceed. Can you see how being stumped in a situation like this is totally different than.... I dunno let's say not knowing how to solve a Divine Beast puzzle in BOtW? In one situation you have to use your brain to proceed, and in another you just sort of.... walk around till something happens...?

Can't do it bruh.

Ps4 and Ps4 pro users are both subject to stutters actually, in the rare chance that their install got botched.

I haven't heard anybody complain about them after they reinstalled.

Roger

I'm a bit bummed they didn't put the team attack on R2. The button doesn't do anything in KH1 now and it would be an easy fix for the problem with pink mushroom. Oh well.

As for some of the more confusing navigation in KH1 maps there definately are a few places where it could be more clear (like the fuckin dolphin in Atlantica wtf) but I can't hate it too much since it comes from the same design direction that some of the best stuff in KH1 worlds do.

As far as dialogue goes I can only say KH1 has by far the best in the series. If you want some real gems go play Dream ''I'm a gypsy'' Drop Distance.

Yukinari

I have to agree to an extent, a lot of KH1 is all about pointless backtracking and having to be in the right place to progress the plot.

Even back then it was bad and its worse now with more games in the series.

Finally going to pick this up today. Probably not going to touch it until I beat Nier, but at least I can buy these knowing the ports are in decent enough shape.

Burbeting

Banned
I have to agree to an extent, a lot of KH1 is all about pointless backtracking and having to be in the right place to progress the plot.

Even back then it was bad and its worse now with more games in the series.

Worst offender is Deep Jungle. I've beaten KH1 maybe 6 times, and I still have no idea how to progress that world properly at some points (find the gorillas!) other than randomly running from area to area until the plot progresses.

Other worlds are pretty bad too about this.

WITHE1982

Picked up my copy this morning so will be playing through KH1 for the first time ever (I did play it on PS2 but only for a couple of hours).

Any tips for starting out? I'm just going to be playing on normal so not really worrying too much about grinding for levels.

I know there's a few choices at the start that effect abilities and XP gain. I just want to enjoy the game/story my first time through but at the same time don't want to feel I'm missing out on some of the better unlocks... so which should I choose if I'm not that concerned with maxing out my level but want some cool ass stuff?

Oh and it'll be my daughters first time seeing the game so I'm hoping she'll enjoy it as much as me.

Any good spots to level up valor and wisdom forms? I'm up to Port Royal at the moment.
I know grinding is unnecessary, but I've played KH2 so many times over the years that I want to try something different. I don't think I've ever felt overpowered in this game.

Any good spots to level up valor and wisdom forms? I'm up to Port Royal at the moment.
I know grinding is unnecessary, but I've played KH2 so many times over the years that I want to try something different. I don't think I've ever felt overpowered in this game.
Most places are fine although my favorite was always hollow bastion the long winding path you take after the goofy incident. Just run down it once cleared leave the world(to restart your drive meter) repeat. This is for valor nd master tho. Wisdom not to sure

Vashetti

Banned
Most places are fine although my favorite was always hollow bastion the long winding path you take after the goofy incident. Just run down it once cleared leave the world(to restart your drive meter) repeat. This is for valor nd master tho. Wisdom not to sure

Wisdom I liked the corridors of Beasts Castle.

GLAMr

I know there's a few choices at the start that effect abilities and XP gain. I just want to enjoy the game/story my first time through but at the same time don't want to feel I'm missing out on some of the better unlocks... so which should I choose if I'm not that concerned with maxing out my level but want some cool ass stuff?
I seem to recall the choices mainly affect he order in which you learn things, your XP curve and stat allocation. This could have changed in the remix though and I played the game 15 years ago...

I picked up my copy today and am stoked to replay these master pieces (and the side games I missed), plus I'm looking forward to sharing some of the fun and magic with my wife.

But god damn those controls and movement suck. And the worst part is, they were excellent for their time. I forgot how amazing the soundtrack is though.

This morale shit in the land of dragons is frustrating as hell. It's like having two life bars, where one is constantly draining...so I can't be careful and try to dodge and block properly, because time is also an enemy.

I really hope KH3 makes the guard move not have so much damn animation priority, and actually be good at defending. You like need to use it as soon as you see an attack animation, even if that's like 2 seconds ahead of time. Any later, and their hits go right through it.

This morale shit in the land of dragons is frustrating as hell. It's like having two life bars, where one is constantly draining...so I can't be careful and try to dodge and block properly, because time is also an enemy.

I really hope KH3 makes the guard move not have so much damn animation priority, and actually be good at defending. You like need to use it as soon as you see an attack animation, even if that's like 2 seconds ahead of time. Any later, and their hits go right through it.
Guard is pure trash reflega for the win

Wow I'm getting crushed by the first boss in KH2, just like when I first played this game a decade ago. :(

Edit: Man, it's just dawning onto me that it's been a decade ago. I remember playing the game over my last summer before starting college. :( The intro hit me hard.

Burbeting

Banned
I bought my copy (the cover art was pretty bad), but won't play it until late Monday.... and Persona 5 releases in Tuesday.

Yeah, KH will go to the back burner for now.

Top Bottom