• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

The Lamp

Wow I'm getting crushed by the first boss in KH2, just like when I first played this game a decade ago. :(

Edit: Man, it's just dawning onto me that it's been a decade ago. I remember playing the game over my last summer before starting college. :( The intro hit me hard.

Just spam triangle 99% of the time to win and then be brave enough to sink one or two hits in before going back to spamming triangle, like most of the fights in this game.

KHII's guard is great. I like that you actually have to look for enemies winding up to time it. And counterguatd is probably my favorite counter ability in the series.

KHIII's already been shown to have KHII's guard intact, so that's great.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Bought it today, and the people at the store put in 2.8 final chatper instead the Hd collection

Fuck my life

aravuus

Was gonna maybe play KH1 a bit just to see how it looks and feels in 60fps.

But I think I'll just have the game idle on the main menu while I read. The insanely strong feelings of nostalgia just one song manages to evoke is crazy.

e: and the goosebumps I get from the song that plays during the video you see if you sit on the main menu for a bit... Man

Picked up my copy this morning so will be playing through KH1 for the first time ever (I did play it on PS2 but only for a couple of hours).

Any tips for starting out? I'm just going to be playing on normal so not really worrying too much about grinding for levels.

I know there's a few choices at the start that effect abilities and XP gain. I just want to enjoy the game/story my first time through but at the same time don't want to feel I'm missing out on some of the better unlocks... so which should I choose if I'm not that concerned with maxing out my level but want some cool ass stuff?

Oh and it'll be my daughters first time seeing the game so I'm hoping she'll enjoy it as much as me.

Lil late tips but the XP stuff isn't super important especially on Normal difficulty so don't worry about it. Same thing with the weapon choise that affects abilities. Shield is a solid choise for getting very good abilities relatively early if you are not concerned about very late game stat maxing stuff. Staff is good too because you get extra MP/magic power that is impossible to gain anywhere else but it really depends how much you want to dabble into using magic. No matter what you choose you will gain all abilities at some point, the order you gain them is the thing that changes.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh

BluWacky

Just spam triangle 99% of the time to win and then be brave enough to sink one or two hits in before going back to spamming triangle, like most of the fights in this game.

I have just bought both Kingdom Hearts collections out of nostalgia but I'm glad that someone else remembers the battle system as being Press Triangle To Awesome. I am undoubtedly being selective and reductionist but I've recently read a number of KH-related articles etc. that seem to talk in depth about strategy and the complexities of the battle system; I had a great time with KH1, 2 and Birth By Sleep (haven't played the others before) but I remember not doing much except hammer some attack buttons and heal a lot.

(to be fair, that's pretty much how I play most action RPGs - probably because I never play on higher difficulty levels. I've had an absolute blast with Nier Automata recently, but reading all the comments in the game's thread about different weapon combos etc. was totally lost on me - I picked the things with the highest damage stats and then mash, mash, mashed...)

Finally bit the bullet and placed my order for a copy - although I have a couple of KH games in my backlog, never played one before and thought why not start at the beginning?

Vashetti

Banned
bf just sent me this pic

v6jSP7j.jpg

Can't wait to get home and play it :eek:

I have just bought both Kingdom Hearts collections out of nostalgia but I'm glad that someone else remembers the battle system as being Press Triangle To Awesome. I am undoubtedly being selective and reductionist but I've recently read a number of KH-related articles etc. that seem to talk in depth about strategy and the complexities of the battle system; I had a great time with KH1, 2 and Birth By Sleep (haven't played the others before) but I remember not doing much except hammer some attack buttons and heal a lot.

(to be fair, that's pretty much how I play most action RPGs - probably because I never play on higher difficulty levels. I've had an absolute blast with Nier Automata recently, but reading all the comments in the game's thread about different weapon combos etc. was totally lost on me - I picked the things with the highest damage stats and then mash, mash, mashed...)

Time to do a Critical lvl 1 run in KH2 buddy!

WITHE1982

Lil late tips but the XP stuff isn't super important especially on Normal difficulty so don't worry about it. Same thing with the weapon choise that affects abilities. Shield is a solid choise for getting very good abilities relatively early if you are not concerned about very late game stat maxing stuff. Staff is good too because you get extra MP/magic power that is impossible to gain anywhere else but it really depends how much you want to dabble into using magic. No matter what you choose you will gain all abilities at some point, the order you gain them is the thing that changes.

Cool thanks.

Think I may go with the staff as I always tend to go for warrior/attack/sword based builds when playing RPGs and feel like trying something a bit different.

Meowster

So far, the only boss that took me multiple tries to win on proud is the Cave of Wonders. And that isn't even due to him but his stupid heartless that kept lunging at me whenever I got his health almost all the way down. Jafar was laughably easy.

Yukinari

So far, the only boss that took me multiple tries to win on proud is the Cave of Wonders. And that isn't even due to him but his stupid heartless that kept lunging at me whenever I got his health almost all the way down. Jafar was laughably easy.

Dragon Malificent and 2nd Dark Riku fight are so stupid on proud.

Well I just blitzed through the entire first game already, I guess I got a lot better at games since I was 7 was a lot easier than it was back then where I got stuck at the end. I already did the Hades Cup and Ice Titan before the final boss, debating with myself whether to do the other four superbosses (never beat them before) or just proceed to Re:COM.

Neku89

Anyone in Italy (or Europe, for that matter) that bought the limited edition on SQEX's online store and hasn't received it? I was looking forward to playing KH during the weekend :/

I swear, I have beaten KH1 like 10+ times and every time I discover something new. I didn't know you could drop the toy bear in Wonderland and that lead to discovering a hidden entrance I never even knew existed.

Like, WHAT?

aravuus

I swear, I have beaten KH1 like 10+ times and every time I discover something new. I didn't know you could drop the toy bear in Wonderland and that lead to discovering a hidden entrance I never even knew existed.

Like, WHAT?

And I think KH1 hasn't aged well, and I feel more and more like that every time I play it, but it still somehow gets its hooks on me.

Now I've been playing it for the last 3 hours lol

e: holy shit, I actually died on a gummi section while writing this post lol

Skittles

Change the engines for Fira or Firaga engines...

It's not better, but at least it's faster
even aa a kid i kmew those sections were terrible. then i popped up in KH2 for fhe first time and was like "fuck, not this shit again". i was quickly blown away by how good the gummi sections were in the second one

Psxphile

Like, WHAT?

Wjrclo8.jpg

game has a few things you wouldn't think to do, coming across them by accident is half the fun

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
And I think KH1 hasn't aged well, and I feel more and more like that every time I play it, but it still somehow gets its hooks on me.

LOL.. That's awesome. The first game especially just felt like this amazing blend of magic which captivated me. Still does. Even if the graphics and gameplay are crazy dated, I still love game.

I hadn't touched a KH game since part one when it launched. I don't recall so many of the characters in KH1 actually having been voice acted. Was it always that way, or .. when was that added?

Velcro Fly

I completely forgot how unfun some segments of worlds are in KH1 and how some of the sequence triggers are just downright odd or just bad. Still enjoying the game again though.

and theres no more trophies for those movies right?
No trophies. The only reason to "watch" 358/2 Days and Re:coded, outside of actually enjoying them, is for the PS4 themes and, in 358/2 Days case, unlocking some content in Re:Chain of Memories.

and did they fix the trophies stacking, or no?
Yes. You can now play KH1 and Re:CoM on the hardest difficulty and unlock all difficulty related trophies.

Luigi87

Oh god I just remembered that Tron level I'm going to have to suffer through later.
Goddammit.

Space Paranoids > The Grid at least
Level 1 light cycle is a nightmare...

It really hasn't aged well, but I will say the 60fps is helping it significantly for me, in spite of the mechanics being the same, lol. I guess I'm just tricking myself since it's at least nicer to look at than the PS3 port.

I completely forgot how unfun some segments of worlds are in KH1 and how some of the sequence triggers are just downright odd or just bad. Still enjoying the game again though.
Just came across this in the Tarzan world, like holy shit I went through each section trying to trigger the cutscenes.

Burbeting

Banned
It's really meant to be used to block certain (generally big) attacks like Lingering Will's charge fist thing that I don't remember the name.

Yeah. I'm not saying the guard is bad (it's just difficult to use efficiently, due to the timing), but I will say that reflect is lot more easy and powerful to use. Which is why it is a spell that uses MP.

Velcro Fly

Just came across this in the Tarzan world, like holy shit I went through each section trying to trigger the cutscenes.

Yep that was me too.

And with Traverse Town second visit, Leon gives you a summon and then you go right up to Merlin but it doesn't work that way. You seriously have to go back to the first district to talk to Cid and then go all the way to Merlin's house. I honestly leveled up like 5 times just not remembering where to go with these damn trigger sequences.

Top Bottom