• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Shahed

I know this isn't the right topic or OT for the game, but it's the most active KH thread at the moment. How important/useful is it to play KH3D HD?

Because I started it and within minutes it looked so boring and was annoying me. After like an hour or so I had enough and put it off. I had some slight negative thoughts about the series and was worried as to how KHIII would turn out.

Then I played the Aqua BBS 0.2 thing and suddenly everything felt right again. Sure it was short, but I enjoyed it from the off and it felt so much more fun and meaningful than 3D, and my faith in KHIII was restored.

But now I go back to 3D HD. I didn't buy this game, my sister did. So I wouldn't feel bad or any guilt about having bought a game for a 2 hour glorified tech demo and mini Ground Zeroes, however much I liked it. But it does kind of feel like a waste and I heard 3D was meant to set up KHIII. Is it really necessary to play the game, or can I simply skip it? Because frankly it looks so bad, and I can't even use the excuse of it being a handheld title since not only is PSP weaker than 3DS, but Birth By Sleep was actually really good.

I know this isn't the right topic or OT for the game, but it's the most active KH thread at the moment. How important/useful is it to play KH3D HD?

Because I started it and within minutes it lookee so boring and was annoying me. After like an hiur or I had enough and put it off. I had some slight negative thoughts about the series and was worried as to how KHIII would turn out.

Then I played the Aqua BBS 0.2 thing and suddenly everything felt right again. Sure it was short, but I enjoyed it from the off and it felt so much more fun and meaningful than 3D, and my faith in KHIII was restored.

But now I go back to 3D HD. I didn't buy this game, my sister did. So I wouldn't feel bad or any guilt about having bought a game for a 2 hour glorified tech demo and mini Ground Zeroes, however much I liked it. But it doeskind of feel like a waste and I head 3D was meant to set up KHIII. It it really necessary to play that game, or can I simply skip it? Because frankly it looks so bad, and I can't even use the excuse of it being a handheld title since not only is PSP weaker than 3DS, but Birth By Sleep was actually really good.

3D is a significant step down from BBS outside of a few things. If you're not feeling it, look up cutscenes from the final world in the game. Those are the only relevant ones, anyway.

Shahed

I'll give it one more try, but if it doesn't click then I'm done. I'll just watch the final scenes on YouTube or something.

Hopefully no more random spin off games after this. Just mainline only please. Or if they extras, be on the level of quality of Birth By Sleep and noje of these nonsense extra filler titles

JayEH

After grinding all day I finally got the ultima blade in kh2. I don't care what the stats are I'm never taking this off.

I've actually grown to like 3D almost as much as I enjoyed Birth By Sleep. The whole getting abilities through Dream Eaters is probably my least favorite thing about the mechanics.

Luigi87

Finished
first visits of
Beast's Castle and Olympus Coliseum on my Level 1 Kingdom Key only run.

Also haven't equipped any armor or accessories yet either. Gonna see how long until I cave on those, lol

BigEmil

KH1.5 was like around 720p 30fps. I think KH2.5 was 1080p but still 30fps.
Both featured crap load times (area transitions, drive forms, d-links) and Square didn't patch them unlike the PS4 remasters.
KH1.5 is 810p 30fps. KH2.5 1080p 30fps but no AA so lots of jaggies. In addition to everything else you mentioned

I hate that I can't spam Ars Arcanum while Bambi is summoned, but I guess that would be kinda broken. I finally took down Ursula, I just went to another world, leveled up and came back stronger. Almost done with Hollow Bastion.

Meowster

That's everything done on Proud.

Just need to do a beginner speedrun without changing equipment and I'll have the plat.
It isn't that hard. I just had to grind a couple of levels to take down Ansem II. Just make sure to get Aerora before you head to the End of the World. Skip sealing Traverse Town keyhole and only do enough of Olympus to get Thunder and then come back to both places before Hollow Bastion. Skip Atlantica altogether. I beat the game at around five hours so it doesn't take too long.

Chitown B

just finished Halloweentown. really tiny place, but i love Halloween :)

KH1 seems short but I'm like 15 hours in so it's not THAT short.

AxiomThunder

Neo Member
Is the 60 FPS messing with the dialogue? Conversations move way faster than I remember and it seems like people are almost talking over each other. Could just be me though.

is it? I don't know if I would know if a boss is secret or not.

Four unlock after an in-game event later on in the game & another one can be found after you finish the game.

That'd be weird considering cutscenes are still 30fps. Can you record and upload an example?

The (unvoiced) scenes where the dialogue is read through the text boxes do actually run at 60fps. Probably talking about those.

Chitown B

KH1 - wtf, this first Ursula fight is fucking dumb. So I'm supposed to use the opposite color magic on the cauldron - FINE. So I do, and it doesn't do anything. Randomly it'll make the room explode and she'll be stunned, but super rarely. I spend the rest of the time fighting the camera and spinning around trying to avoid her when I can't even find her.

Tsunamo

Is the 60 FPS messing with the dialogue? Conversations move way faster than I remember and it seems like people are almost talking over each other. Could just be me though.
I noted something similar in the Kingdom Hearts Community thread.

I only really noticed it in 1, might be a side effect of the game shifting between 30/60fps in gameplay and cutscenes a bit so it feels off.

Vashetti

Banned
It isn't that hard. I just had to grind a couple of levels to take down Ansem II. Just make sure to get Aerora before you head to the End of the World. Skip sealing Traverse Town keyhole and only do enough of Olympus to get Thunder and then come back to both places before Hollow Bastion. Skip Atlantica altogether. I beat the game at around five hours so it doesn't take too long.

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind thanks.

So around 5 hours with plenty of time to spare for levelling if needed.

Edit: 1:43 and just arrived in Agrabah. Level 17. How am I doing?

Should I be ignoring optional encounters?

LycanXIII

Idk about cutscenes, but the dialogue during the overworld map is off. Takes forever for the text to appear.

Razmos

Playing through KH1 and deep jungle was just eurgghhhh. I must have used a guide when I was younger because that area was just a pile of crap.

First time selecting the staff at the beginning too, loving the magic finisher moves, had no idea they even existed.

Playing through KH1 and deep jungle was just eurgghhhh. I must have used a guide when I was younger because that area was just a pile of crap.

First time selecting the staff at the beginning too, loving the magic finisher moves, had no idea they even existed.
Those are new for KH1FM. Every 'class' gets them eventually, but it makes Staff actually extremely viable for melee combat against groups of Heartless.

aravuus

I kind of wish you'd get completely different abilities depending on what you chose in the beginning. Would make replaying even more fun.

But yeah, the magic finishers were FIRE.

Teggy

Are you supposed to do Halloweentown first in Chain of Memories or does it just scale?

Maybe I am just bad at the game but I had to grind so I could get past the first fight there and the regular fights are still kind of hard.

It's kind of an odd game in that you are mostly just watching the bottom of the screen the whole time. I am playing remote on my vita which makes it little easier to see what is going on.

Are you supposed to do Halloweentown first in Chain of Memories or does it just scale?

Maybe I am just bad at the game but I had to grind so I could get past the first fight there and the regular fights are still kind of hard.

It's kind of an odd game in that you are mostly just watching the bottom of the screen the whole time. I am playing remote on my vita which makes it little easier to see what is going on.

It all scales.

LAA

That's everything done on Proud.

Just need to do a beginner speedrun without changing equipment and I'll have the plat.

Damn that was quick! About to go to Hollow bastion for the 2nd time, but trying to grind to 100 (or at least 80 so I can go after the optional bosses).
I'll have to grind for items for synthesis and do the gummi missions too...

It scales, but I'm certain there are some orders to put worlds in that are easier than others (getting certain sleights or card types before certain bosses, etc.).

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Because I started it and within minutes it looked so boring and was annoying me. After like an hour or so I had enough and put it off. I had some slight negative thoughts about the series and was worried as to how KHIII would turn out.

But now I go back to 3D HD. I didn't buy this game, my sister did. So I wouldn't feel bad or any guilt about having bought a game for a 2 hour glorified tech demo and mini Ground Zeroes, however much I liked it. But it does kind of feel like a waste and I heard 3D was meant to set up KHIII. Is it really necessary to play the game, or can I simply skip it? Because frankly it looks so bad, and I can't even use the excuse of it being a handheld title since not only is PSP weaker than 3DS, but Birth By Sleep was actually really good.
KH3D is not the best game in the series, but is still good. I warmed up to it a lot playing it without stylus controls, a bigger screen, and in 60 FPS. It frontloads the game with the worst worlds after you leave Traverse Town, and I never really grew to like the Dream Eaters (what's with non-numbered KH games avoiding real party members?) but the latter worlds, like Musketeers and Fantasia, are some of the best the series has to offer.

Razmos

Those are new for KH1FM. Every 'class' gets them eventually, but it makes Staff actually extremely viable for melee combat against groups of Heartless.
I see! I thought as much. They are a great addition that is making this run much more fun and different than I was expecting.

I went for the staff for the extra MP and stronger magic. Wasn't expecting such awesome abilities. Shame they don't work on air finishers though

I see! I thought as much. They are a great addition that is making this run much more fun and different than I was expecting.

I went for the staff for the extra MP and stronger magic. Wasn't expecting such awesome abilities. Shame they don't work on air finishers though
There's at least one new air finisher too, IIRC, and also some new combo starter abilities (which, when you equip them all, frankly do a better and more precisely predictable job of playing out context-appropriately than the finishers do).

Razmos

There's at least one new air finisher too, IIRC, and also some new combo starter abilities (which, when you equip them all, frankly do a better and more precisely predictable job of playing out context-appropriately than the finishers do).
Oh wow. Can't wait to get those then. This is feeling like an entirely different game.

Meowster

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind thanks.

So around 5 hours with plenty of time to spare for levelling if needed.

Edit: 1:43 and just arrived in Agrabah. Level 17. How am I doing?

Should I be ignoring optional encounters?
I think that is just fine. The only boss that really took forever for me to beat was Maleficent 1 (but I never died) so you shouldn't really have much issues. Hook and Antisora become really easy if spam stop. MP Gift is the gift that keeps on giving. I skipped most encounters aside from whenever I needed to grind a little bit.

Top Bottom