• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hey guys, the age old question: shield or staff? I know not sword.

I see a lot of people suggest staff but shouldn't I go with shield to get Second Chance earlier?

And I think I should pick dusk?

Anyone able to answer this? Want to be sure before I start.

I plan on doing proud I'm just not sure if I want to do a normal run first.

sn00zer

Oh god. I'm 2 hours, traverse town and olympus into Chain of Memories. I really don't know if I like this game. No, I'm fairly positive that I don't like this game.

Please, someone, tell me why I'm wrong and tell me why I should actually love this game.

I don't expect the game to hold my hand, but it's just kinda thrown me into this and is expecting me to swim. Are there any crash course guides on how to get good and ultimately enjoy this illegitimate bastard child of the series?
Nope it sucks watch the 3hr movie online and no I'm not joking

Luigi87

Hey guys, the age old question: shield or staff? I know not sword.

I see a lot of people suggest staff but shouldn't I go with shield to get Second Chance earlier?

And I think I should pick dusk?

Staff will make your magic quite strong late game, but makes early game kind of hellish on Proud. If you do want Second Chance earlier, and more items slots, you're fine going Shield.

Oh god. I'm 2 hours, traverse town and olympus into Chain of Memories. I really don't know if I like this game. No, I'm fairly positive that I don't like this game.

Please, someone, tell me why I'm wrong and tell me why I should actually love this game.

I don't expect the game to hold my hand, but it's just kinda thrown me into this and is expecting me to swim. Are there any crash course guides on how to get good and ultimately enjoy this illegitimate bastard child of the series?

Re:CoM is probably the worst of the mainline titles (followed by DDD in my opinion). It's a slog to playthrough, and it really feels like playing to just get to the next cutscene. I mean KH games in general are that technically, but... at least they're fun.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Staff will make your magic quite strong late game, but makes early game kind of hellish on Proud. If you do want Second Chance earlier, and more items slots, you're fine going Shield.

Thanks, so it sounds like Shield + Dusk might be the way to go on Proud? Would you say that's the best route for normal as well?

(And if I plan on doing a Beginning run for a couple specific trophies, would you say to just fuck it and go with Sword?)

Luigi87

Thanks, so it sounds like Shield + Dusk might be the way to go on Proud? Would you say that's the best route for normal as well?

(And if I plan on doing a Beginning run for a couple specific trophies, would you say to just fuck it and go with Sword?)

If you want, sure.
Honestly there is nothing wrong with going Sword, it's just that most of your support abilities are WAY late (including things like Second Chance, Leaf Bracer, MP Rage), as you get a lot more of your attack abilities first.

Beat KH1FM yesterday, and beat all five superbosses tonight, so it's on to Chain of Memories for me.

I still maintain that Lingering Will is the best boss fight in the entire series (and honestly a contender for one of the best optional bosses of all time) but god damn does KH1FM Xemnas make a good case for that too. It's all of the franticness and visual spectacle of a KH2 boss fight (No, seriously. All these years later and his attacks look cool as fuck) while pushing the mechanics of KH1. And unlike LW, the fight itself has a tense, almost foreboding atmosphere to it. It's one of the few times KH has absolutely nailed foreshadowing.

I love that despite being the game's ultimate challenge, like nearly every other KH1 boss, he actually has an elemental weakness that can be exploited (and blown right open with the proper execution).

And god damn man, that fight is amazing at 60fps.

Gulz1992

You could just give up and read the manga. It's what I did when I first attempted to complete the game. Was a much more enjoyable experience, and it was much shorter as well.

Chitown B

I've been there. First time I played this game, when it came out, I chose sword and I blitzed through the entire game until that boss, it utterly destroyed me every time.

This playthrough made me really appreciated that button mashing does not lead to victory. You have to pick when to strike.

Go back once you have leaf bracer and it'll get better. I did the hades cup 10-1 with exp equipment on and could get through about 10 levels an hour, something like that.

got to level 69 with leaf bracer. beat him in 2 tries, the rest was cake. done!

It gets worse.

Nope, the rest of the fights were super easy.

quesalupa

The Organization stuff is fun but everything else is ass.

GLAMr

You could just give up and read the manga. It's what I did when I first attempted to complete the game. Was a much more enjoyable experience, and it was much shorter as well.
How close is the manga story to the original game story?

Japan seems to love having manga, anime, OVAs, live action and games of the same IP with completely unrelated stories...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
People getting mad at RECOM dunno how to play cards or stack decks? :p Granted they could have cut out the disney worlds and make a much more contained and shorter product by combing both riku and sora's stories but the gameplay itself i'll always like for being more in depth than a standard press x to battle.

I'll never get the overwhelming hate to towards that game myself. Now games like 358 and recoded i can understand...the repetition in those games makes COM look absolutely inoffensive.

Beat KH1FM yesterday, and beat all five superbosses tonight, so it's on to Chain of Memories for me.

I still maintain that Lingering Will is the best boss fight in the entire series (and honestly a contender for one of the best optional bosses of all time) but god damn does KH1FM Xemnas make a good case for that too. It's all of the franticness and visual spectacle of a KH2 boss fight (No, seriously. All these years later and his attacks look cool as fuck) while pushing the mechanics of KH1. And unlike LW, the fight itself has a tense, almost foreboding atmosphere to it. It's one of the few times KH has absolutely nailed foreshadowing.

I love that despite being the game's ultimate challenge, like nearly every other KH1 boss, he actually has an elemental weakness that can be exploited (and blown right open with the proper execution).

Elemental weakness? What?

Gulz1992

How close is the manga story to the original game story?

Japan seems to love having manga, anime, OVAs, live action and games of the same IP with completely unrelated stories...

It's an adaptation of the game. It follows the same overall story and has most of the same plot beats, but the individual events are much different than what appears in the game. It condenses the worlds, focuses more on character interaction, and creates a little of it's own original plot elements. It also adds a lot of humor and gags to the story. Like I said, though, it's still the same overall story as the game, so it will tell you everything important that you need to know.

ah man Lingering Will down at level 52

fuck man i still love that fight, but i hate that they fucked up his 3 punch combo in this version also i ketp on getting blizzaga bike right near the end of the fight and it made me mess up so many times

it's kinda shame he is loop able sadly, pretty much but the cheese is real

Banzai

ah man Lingering Will down at level 52

fuck man i still love that fight, but i hate that they fucked up his 3 punch combo in this version also i ketp on getting blizzaga bike right near the end of the fight and it made me mess up so many times

What happened to the punches? Can you not block them and somehow end up behind him anymore?

Tsunamo

what is this? I know you can jump/hit him to death but never heard of 2 hit win.
Perhaps Talent meant how he can beat you in two hits?
People getting mad at RECOM dunno how to play cards or stack decks? :p Granted they could have cut out the disney worlds and make a much more contained and shorter product by combing both riku and sora's stories but the gameplay itself i'll always like for being more in depth than a standard press x to battle.

I'll never get the overwhelming hate to towards that game myself. Now games like 358 and recoded i can understand...the repetition in those games makes COM look absolutely inoffensive.
For me personally I originally didn't like CoM (as a kid) due to not understanding how cards worked or the sleight system. With the new sleights in Re:CoM I love it because it's so fun to play around with them and make a powerful deck, and then you have Riku mode to enjoy.

The original CoM aswell is great due to being the only proper sprite based Kingdom Hearts game we got. (chi doesn't really count)

Tensketch

got to level 69 with leaf bracer. beat him in 2 tries, the rest was cake. done!

Eyyyyyy nicely done! Leaf Bracer is amazing. Cannot tell you how many times that got me out of trouble.

The Organization stuff is fun but everything else is ass.
Re:CoM is probably the worst of the mainline titles (followed by DDD in my opinion). It's a slog to playthrough, and it really feels like playing to just get to the next cutscene. I mean KH games in general are that technically, but... at least they're fun.
Nope it sucks watch the 3hr movie online and no I'm not joking

Welp. That's that. I'll watch the movie (or if I can, I'll find the manga) and go that route. I don't want to force myself through this game.
At least this gets me closer to KH2, cannot wait to get back into Tron World. Lost my mind when I first found out I was going in there.

Finally completed the campaign for Kingdom Hearts 2 (again since the first time 11+ years ago). It's definitely been long enough where I didn't remember a whole lot except bits and pieces replaying this. I am so grateful that they put these collections out on PS4, because being able to watch the narrative unfold in a coherent manner has made the experience a lot more enjoyable. I appreciate KH2 a lot more than I did originally, and just found the whole game to be more fun because of that appreciation. I'm all caught up mentally whenever I want to start Birth by Sleep.

I was so close to trying to get the 100% jiminy's journal myself, but looking at some of the requirements, I couldn't do it...I did a bunch of the optional bosses, and got stuff like all puzzle pieces and chests, but I just couldn't try finishing that stuff before ending the game anymore. I've had Persona 5 waiting for a week now, and I'd like to get started on that soon.

I REALLY hope we see some of Kingdom Hearts 3 at E3...I wonder if end of 2017 is a possibility for it...

raven777

Holy shit there is no checkpoint after Demyx fight? I died at the fight after Demyx (fighting along with FF characters) and now I have to do Demyx again?

Tampler

Finished CoM yesterday and went straight into KH2FM. Currently finished the first 2 worlds so far. First time playing the final mix version of 2 and I'm actually really surprised at some of the new cut scenes they added. There really nice additions to the overall game compared to the ones that were in KH1FM

I especially liked the scene with
The Organization members speaking to each other after introducing themselves to Sora for the first time in Hollow Bastion. Just nice to have them talking to one another, since in the original version, you never really see them together at all.

Oh god I always forget that KH2 has some REALLY bad lines.

I don't feel like cooperating with destiny! That's bottom of the barrel anime dialogue.

Luigi87

I don't feel like cooperating with destiny! That's bottom of the barrel anime dialogue.
KH2 dialogue for me sometimes borders the so bad it's good category due to cheesiness.

The fact that so many worlds end with a group laughter scene especially.

Koppai

This is the first time playing these games and i got to the boss in Traverse Time and keep dying. I chose Final Mix difficulty ugh...might have to start over.

This is the first time playing these games and i got to the boss in Traverse Time and keep dying. I chose Final Mix difficulty ugh...might have to start over.

Yeah... If you picked Proud for your first run, maybe reconsider. Even as a veteran player, Guard Armor was whomping me :(

If you want to persist, though, grind a little bit to get some munny, and purchase a Def accessory from Cid

Also, for that boss, learn to parry his attacks, because you don't have dodge roll or block at that point in the game.

Koppai

Yeah... If you picked Proud for your first run, maybe reconsider. Even as a veteran player, Guard Armor was whomping me :(

If you want to persist, though, grind a little bit to get some munny, and purchase a Def accessory from Cid

Also, for that boss, learn to parry his attacks, because you don't have dodge roll or block at that point in the game.
I meant in Wonderland, but yeah might need to start over.

Skittles

Oh okay. Well, if it helps, that boss is a plain old rat bastard :p

His hitboxes are so high off the ground and it's hard to land a hit from off the floor
The worst part of the fight is the camera. Trying to jump on top of the table and hitting your head like 6 times before getting on it

Psxphile

Blow out all of the torches in Olympus with Blizzaga, and you get a piece of equipment with 40% ice resistance. Probably put there with Ice Titan in mind.
Huh, never tried the torches with anything other than first-stage Blizzard and I surely don't recall such a good accessory being the prize at such an early stage... does it actually reward you multiple times throughout the game depending on what tier Blizzard spell you use?

Seems like something they'd do.

Undeniable proof that they totally owned you lamers

Top Bottom