• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Vashetti

Banned
Playing through KH2 at the moment and got fed up in Olympus.

If a particular enemy catches you there's no hope, they'll kill you (Critical).

So grinding to level 20 for Leaf Bracer so I at least stand more of a chance. Levelled up Valor Form a bit too which always helps.

Luigi87

Well that was an interesting/annoying glitch.

Fighting Scar (level 1 = nightmare, btw)... He disappeared, suddenly I'm in his RC.

NullKaze

you should use chicken little for them

he is basically a walking magnet
Summons are so good in KH2.

Walking magnet for Chicken Little basically wrecks any group mob other than the CoR Hot Rods and Devastators.
Genie does massive free damage, especially when mixed with magnet or with duplicates (*cough* Larxene *cough*)
Stitch basically gives you unlimited MP and can stun bosses as well as deflect projectiles. Basically the best summon of the game.
Peter Pan gives you auto-heal, auto-life and stun-locks enemies and makes Nobodies drop MP orbs - super useful in CoR.

Luigi87

Had to use four Ethers to beat Scar. I just really, really needed to have Reflect up for his DM and Simba for in-between. I can't dodge his DM at 60 fps D=

ricelord

welp, just ran over the final boss as an 100 lvl with the ultima weapon on proud mode, time to do the speedrun/unchanging armor/undefeated for the plat.

Luigi87

Just did the light cycle section at level 1 in one try, no problems. I struggled like hell on PS3, so I'm wondering if it's just way easier due to 60fps...

NullKaze

Just did the light cycle section at level 1 in one try, no problems. I struggled like hell on PS3, so I'm wondering if it's just way easier due to 60fps...
Yeah that's a good point. I struggled on PS3 but did it in one try on PS4 too.

I'm wondering whether that's experience or 60fps made it easier... I felt like the enemies attacked less on PS4.

Luigi87

Yeah that's a good point. I struggled on PS3 but did it in one try on PS4 too.

I'm wondering whether that's experience or 60fps made it easier... I felt like the enemies attacked less on PS4.

Yeah I would also say it seemed like they hardly attacked.

Anywho, pre-Demyx now and I realize I don't have Dodge Roll or Quick Run yet... I should get those...

Xux

Picked this up shortly after it came out. My PS3 died before I had a chance to get the PS3 versions so it's been a treat experiencing Final Mix. The Heartless recolors are pretty gaudy and the FM Heartless are pretty annoying.

The worlds feel so much shorter than back in the day.

Luigi87

Yesssss
in my Critical lv.1 no armor/no accessories, Kingdom Key only run, I beat Demyx in just five tries, and got through the gauntlet in a single attempt. This was my second-most dreaded moment, and considering it took me hours on PS3, I'm pretty satisfied.

Now I'm not overly worrying about anything until the end-game!

Luigi87

Any tips for someone getting ready to do their first critical run on II?

-Healing Items are essential. Cure is a last resort. You need to manage your MP effectively. Basically unlike 1FM and 2 on Proud where I'm willing to have Cure on a Shortcut, never bother here. Start with Potions, and then ultimately move up to Hi-Potions.
-Absolutely get acquainted with using Magic and Summons if you haven't in the past. The Summons in 2FM are quite good. They also help greatly with some enemies that are a pain at any level (IE: The friggin Hotrod Heartless)
-Limits are incredibly useful if you hadn't used them in a previous playthrough. It's actually worth using world-based party members. Also thanks to being able to swap party members on the go, you'll never lock yourself out of Drives either.
-Drives are an excellent way to save your ass due to restoring HP/MP. Once you get Limit Form this also becomes easier since you don't need to rely on Donald and/or Goofy to be alive.
-Guard and Reflect are your best friends! Even on a regular Critical playthrough, with HP eventually capping at 60, enemies will still hurt and some moves will still be able to kill your pretty damn quickly if you don't have Second Chance and Once More.
-Use your Reaction Commands! I feel this goes without saying for the game in general, but... It's still pretty important.

That's off the top of my head for a leveling Critical run.

HeelPower

I feel like KH2 is at the absolute peak of the PS2 library just purely on a technical level.

This game is just ridiculous...This cannot be a 2005 game..For many reasons.

SE put so,so much into this game.

EDIT : We'll see how FF12 fares ,but so far KH2 feels like a late PS3 game to me.

raven777

I feel like KH2 is at the absolute peak of the PS2 library just purely on a technical level.

This game is just ridiculous...This cannot be a 2005 game..For many reasons.

SE put so,so much into this game.

EDIT : We'll see how FF12 fares ,but so far KH2 feels like a late PS3 game to me.

I feel the artstyle of KH2 really aged well and benefits from HD remaster. And all the beautiful effects during combat makes the game looks great even playing it now.

HeelPower

I feel the artstyle of KH2 really aged well and benefits from HD remaster. And all the beautiful effects during combat makes the game looks great even playing it now.

The amount of effort put into each world's assets ,and the animations for weird non humanoid characters are SO well done!!!

The cutscenes in here are a joy to look at.

tonypark

I am reading that those games are kind of hard.
I wonder if easy would be the way to go since I don't want to invest too much time in those games.
If I go normal would I have to grind along the way or miss anything special?

Razmos

Dragon Malifecent can go suck a big fat scaley Dragon dick.

Absolutely stupid boss. Throws out green fire that you have to run away from, while ground pounding the stage for 5 minutes. You can't stay on the floor because of the groundpounds but then you get knocked out of the air by the fire.

Donald and Goofy are fucking useless and die constantly because they can't dodge, she keeps filling half the room with flames every 2 seconds which you can't see how to avoid because the camera decides to fuck you over.

And on top of all that she she has stupid high health!

Fuck this boss. Not fun at all.

Absolutely stupid boss. Throws out green fire that you have to run away from, while ground pounding the stage for 5 minutes. You can't stay on the floor because of the groundpounds but then you get knocked out of the air by the fire.

Donald and Goofy are fucking useless and die constantly because they can't dodge, she keeps filling half the room with flames every 2 seconds which you can't see how to avoid because the camera decides to fuck you over.

Remember to summon Tinkerbell (and/or Dumbo which is easy damage while you are invincible).

Also that fight can be cheesed with Stop+Gravity spells if you got the MP items for it.

Bluenoser

Was waiting to pick this up in case they fixed the issues with KH2 - any chance a patch has come out to resolve the save crashing etc? Didn't see any updates in the OP.

Luigi87

Was waiting to pick this up in case they fixed the issues with KH2 - any chance a patch has come out to resolve the save crashing etc? Didn't see any updates in the OP.

Most of the issues were fixed on release day.
Save Crashing I don't think was reported fixed... Fortunately I've yet to encounter it, but yeah, it likely won't be.

LycanXIII

I beat her on Proud by casting Aerora, standing below her head, and just swinging away. :/

Meowster

Pick shield.

-Healing Items are essential. Cure is a last resort. You need to manage your MP effectively. Basically unlike 1FM and 2 on Proud where I'm willing to have Cure on a Shortcut, never bother here. Start with Potions, and then ultimately move up to Hi-Potions.
-Absolutely get acquainted with using Magic and Summons if you haven't in the past. The Summons in 2FM are quite good. They also help greatly with some enemies that are a pain at any level (IE: The friggin Hotrod Heartless)
-Limits are incredibly useful if you hadn't used them in a previous playthrough. It's actually worth using world-based party members. Also thanks to being able to swap party members on the go, you'll never lock yourself out of Drives either.
-Drives are an excellent way to save your ass due to restoring HP/MP. Once you get Limit Form this also becomes easier since you don't need to rely on Donald and/or Goofy to be alive.
-Guard and Reflect are your best friends! Even on a regular Critical playthrough, with HP eventually capping at 60, enemies will still hurt and some moves will still be able to kill your pretty damn quickly if you don't have Second Chance and Once More.
-Use your Reaction Commands! I feel this goes without saying for the game in general, but... It's still pretty important.

That's off the top of my head for a leveling Critical run.
Thanks! I'll be starting this soon as soon as I beat Riku's side of Chain of Memories!

Meowster

Vexen gave me a run for my money in CoM, till I stacked a deck for Ars Arcanum spam + Jafar Card.
A lot of the bosses after the Disney worlds can be beaten with a deck full of Sonic Blades and Ethers if you really want to be cheap. The only exceptions are Marluxia.

Vashetti

Banned
Thanks! I'll be starting this soon as soon as I beat Riku's side of Chain of Memories!

Make sure you save regularly too. I had a crash earlier when fighting the ice and fire heartless bosses at the end of Agrabah.

That's the very first issue I've had with any of these ports though.

A lot of the bosses after the Disney worlds can be beaten with a deck full of Sonic Blades and Ethers if you really want to be cheap. The only exceptions are Marluxia.
Yeah Sonic Blade has been working well for me too. I find this game to be a lot of fun, just very grindy. I'm obsessed with increasing my CP.

Vashetti

Banned
Finished the first visit to Tron's world, got outside and encountered those nobodies that skate around, grab you, and throw you for absurdly massive damage.

Nope'd out of there. Going to grind levels and get my Drive Forms up.

LAA

Not enjoying RECOM at all atm, knew I wouldn't as it's my least favourite KH. Just really want it out of the way (But I also want to plat it), So trying a 100% proud playthrough without continuing, but just struggling through it.
Struggling against parasite cage in monstro now.

Any tips people have?

Currently level 16. Been getting sleights whenever I can and going more for CP over HP now. Have sliding dashes, blizzard raids and afire raid set up, and 2 hi potions.

Top Bottom