• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Psxphile

300px-Phantom_KHFM.png

Your move, Psxphile.

Yeah okay, that one's pretty amazing. Final Mix redeemed.

EDIT: let me add that my only real issue with the pallette changes is how much worse Guard Armor comes off because of it, the new look was incredibly garish and out-of-place considering the world you fight it in. Conversely, Trinity Armor from BBS does the exact same thing but goes from being drab to a god-damn Gundam.

rvpUrM8.png
fJXCz9f.png

Resilient

Get this collection and if you want to give this series just one chance, play either KH2 or Birth by Sleep. KH1 is a tad archaic so it may turn you off.

If you do play KH1 first though, do play at least one of the above as well so your experience isn't limited to just the oldest in the series.

Chain of Memories is absolutely optional and the other two are movies.

CoM really isn't optional but OK

Meowster

Does getting the medal (STR +1) during Roxas's section make a difference in Critical or should I just go for the Champion's Belt?

NullKaze

Does getting the medal (STR +1) during Roxas's section make a difference in Critical or should I just go for the Champion's Belt?

Useful if you're speed-running. The extra strength can really help in the early sections.

The Champion Belt really only matters for Lv1 runs when elemental resistance matters more than your defence stat.

raven777

I struggled with Xaldin (story one) because I completely forgot how I fight him, ignoring the reaction command stuff... Once I remembered he was so easy and skipped DM as well lol.

Razmos

Was really enjoying Re: Chain of Memories until I got to the boss in Monstro that captures Pinocchio.

It has a lot of health, attacks a lot and the gimmick with the poison floor and the stupid platforms that disappear way too quickly makes it really really difficult to keep track of everything at once. The cards it uses are quite high numbered too :/

I've already done Halloween Town and Wonderland

I really hope Nomura pushes the Osaka team to make III like II and not everything after. Focus on melee in II made it so freaking cool, flashy and most of all fun.

I really hope Nomura pushes the Osaka team to make III like II and not everything after. Focus on melee in II made it so freaking cool, flashy and most of all fun.

Well, post-patch 0.2 shows that they at the very least understand a few major aspects of II that contributed to how fun it was:

- Critical Mode's design philosophy. CM in IIFM is great because of the philosophy behind it's design. Rather than nerf player damage while upping enemy damage, it adopts a glass cannon philosophy where everything can die pretty quickly, but Sora doing so necessitates that the player actually pays attention to and learns to navigate enemy attack patterns/DMs. It's implementation in BBS, Re:Coded, DDD and pre-patch 0.2 completely missed the point of that (It's admittedly not that bad in Re:Coded, but still). That they adjusted that so quickly in 0.2 to be more in line with II bodes well for III.

- Boss revenge values. One of the biggest problems with the Osaka designed games is that the bosses don't have any sort of revenge system like the (non-giant) bosses in KHII. Whether or not a a boss would interrupt your offensive was entirely random in BBS & DDD, as opposed to KHII (and even the first game in some respects) where you could reliably predict when you reached the boss' counterattack threshold. Zodiac Phantom Aqua seems to have a proper revenge system in place, and that's part of why that fight is as well designed as it is, since you won't get blindsided by randomness.

- Good optional boss design. Most Osaka optional bosses suck. Armor of the Master and No Heart in BBSFM I give a pass to because they were initially designed as multiplayer raid bosses and were balanced as such. A good chunk of why they suck have to do with the aforementioned lack of a revenge system, but the other half is because they're just not well designed at all. Zodiac Phantom Aqua on the other hand, seems like something straight out of IIFM: A proper revenge system in place, attacks that can be telegraphed but require reflexes and an understanding of her attack pattern to properly avoid, and a DM that you can't just i-frame dodge roll/cartwheel through but actually have to break down and navigate through with guarding and movement abilities ala Lingering Will.

They've got a ways to go in regards to some other things, but 0.2 definitely leaves me a lot more optimistic for III than I was previously.

0.2 is already more like kh2 but I also hope that 3 will be even more like 2 :D

Well, post-patch 0.2 shows that they at the very least understand a few major aspects of II that contributed to how fun it was:

- Critical Mode's design philosophy. CM in IIFM is great because of the philosophy behind it's design. Rather than nerf player damage while upping enemy damage, it adopts a glass cannon philosophy where everything can die pretty quickly, but Sora doing so necessitates that the player actually pays attention to and learns to navigate enemy attack patterns/DMs. It's implementation in BBS, Re:Coded, DDD and pre-patch 0.2 completely missed the point of that (It's admittedly not that bad in Re:Coded, but still). That they adjusted that so quickly in 0.2 to be more in line with II bodes well for III.

- Boss revenge values. One of the biggest problems with the Osaka designed games is that the bosses don't have any sort of revenge system like the (non-giant) bosses in KHII. Whether or not a a boss would interrupt your offensive was entirely random in BBS & DDD, as opposed to KHII (and even the first game in some respects) where you could reliably predict when you reached the boss' counterattack threshold. Zodiac Phantom Aqua seems to have a proper revenge system in place, and that's part of why that fight is as well designed as it is, since you won't get blindsided by randomness.

- Good optional boss design. Most Osaka optional bosses suck. Armor of the Master and No Heart in BBSFM I give a pass to because they were initially designed as multiplayer raid bosses and were balanced as such. A good chunk of why they suck have to do with the aforementioned lack of a revenge system, but the other half is because they're just not well designed at all. Zodiac Phantom Aqua on the other hand, seems like something straight out of IIFM: A proper revenge system in place, attacks that can be telegraphed but require reflexes and an understanding of her attack pattern to properly avoid, and a DM that you can't just i-frame dodge roll/cartwheel through but actually have to break down and navigate through with guarding and movement abilities ala Lingering Will.

They've got a ways to go in regards to some other things, but 0.2 definitely leaves me a lot more optimistic for III than I was previously.

They can make it like two all they want long as my two fav mechanics post 2 feel satisfying(shot locks/flowmotion

True true all very much on point. Hopefully everything is also balanced again and no one move is the go to to plow through the entire game ala thunder surge and balloon. 0.2 is yes like II sort of but still has a ways to go especially with the horrible boss fights

Razmos

Is there a reason that genie Jafar in Re: Chain of Memories makes a sound like a little girl when he's hurt?

Dang, Larxene has a fantastic voice actress

Alright at Disney castle and now that I've played these games several times...I gotta ask. Gummies ships or no for 3.

I get incredibly bored every single time I gotta do it to travel to the next world

Skittles

Alright at Disney castle and now that I've played these games several times...I gotta ask. Gummies ships or no for 3.

I get incredibly bored every single time I gotta do it to travel to the next world
They improved quite a bit with gummi ships from 1 to 2. They could have a fun little pace breaker if they up the speed a bit more and make it challenging.

Meowster

Um.. has anyone experienced a shader completely breaking or something like that in II? Because I just started the struggle tournament in the beginning and all the shadows transformed into this really cheap green texture that looks hideous. Lmao. I'll try and finish the tournament and see if it goes away.

EDIT: I tried to take screenshots on the PS4 but they look normal in them. Huh.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So I didn't level any forms during my KH2 play through and now I'm lvl 47 and cannot beat
Roxas
. Any tips on how to proceed? Maybe fast ways to level forms or a way to beat this fight without any dodges.

Finally beat it by
taking his weapons.
. Pretty cool mechanic.

Meowster

Um.. has anyone experienced a shader completely breaking or something like that in II? Because I just started the struggle tournament in the beginning and all the shadows transformed into this really cheap green texture that looks hideous. Lmao. I'll try and finish the tournament and see if it goes away.

EDIT: I tried to take screenshots on the PS4 but they look normal in them. Huh.
All the Kingdom Hearts games are doing this now... WTF?

EDIT: False alarm. My TV glitches the hell out of me.. that was bizarre.

Did they fix the issues and bugs I've been hearing about regarding this collection? Haven't started yet and busy to start anytime soon but definitely looking forward to playing some KH in 60FPS.

JayEH

they will look and play glorious in 3. The jump from 1 to 2 was huge. Imagine the 10+ year jump now.

Zomba13

Gummi ships are awesome. In 1 they are short little Star Fox segments, very easy and quick and only need to be played when opening up a new world after you get the warp gumi. In 2 they got more complex and involved but were still fun.

I like 'em. 3 needs to have them. I want glorious HD rail shooter with ships made of basic geometric shapes.

Chun-Li

Just started Kingdon Hearts II, when can I adjust the camera settings? It's killing me.

You can adjust your camera once you get full access to the menu. I think in Day 2?

It's terrible because I always invert my controls. And KH consistency forces me to wait >_<

Had no idea ppl liked gummis so much meh I prefer the "boring" bbs way I suppose.
Yeah, same here.

I think DDD's drop levels were a nice middle ground. Short, not too intrusive and relatively easy to wrap your brain around. As improved as the gummi ship was in II, only a few stages (the highway and outer space levels) were actually fun to play.

Yeah, same here.

I think DDD's drop levels were a nice middle ground. Short, not too intrusive and relatively easy to wrap your brain around. As improved as the gummi ship was in II, only a few stages (the highway and outer space levels) were actually fun to play.

My ideal approach would be keyblade glider shoot-em-up levels - specifically, keyblade glider levels where you can keep using your abilities and actual stats (so that an endgame-level Sora would also be able to kick the shit out of any of those levels).

KH1 end game spoiler question:
I saved at the Final rest spot at LVL:50 before the last battle. I want to finish the rest of the side content, since theres no after story play apparently? I beat the OG KH, and don't remember being able to finish up all the extra stuff after the final fight. My questions is where to begin? Should I grind the Hades cup and build up levels to fight the extra bosses? or should I start doing something else? Just curious on peoples thoughts that have "100%" the game in the past. Thanks

I saved at the Final rest spot at LVL:50 before the last battle. I want to finish the rest of the side content, since theres no after story play apparently? I beat the OG KH, and don't remember being able to finish up all the extra stuff after the final fight. My questions is where to begin? Should I grind the Hades cup and build up levels to fight the extra bosses? or should I start doing something else? Just curious on peoples thoughts that have "100%" the game in the past. Thanks

What do you want to do? Are you content with the end? Do you want to move on to the next game? There are tons of things to do in KH1. You could go after the Ultima weapons for Sora, Goofy and Donald. There's also getting all 101 Dalmatians, secret bosses, and the Hades Cup.

My ideal approach would be keyblade glider shoot-em-up levels - specifically, keyblade glider levels where you can keep using your abilities and actual stats (so that an endgame-level Sora would also be able to kick the shit out of any of those levels).
That'd be great too. Hell, the Osaka guys have staff that worked on Einhander.

Best thing to do first, IMO, is to collect Trinities and Dalmatians and treasure chests, make sure you've completed every available tournament (including completing them alone and doing the time trial), then getting to work on synthesis. Superbosses can kinda wait, IMO.

Son Of D

Well, just got my first crash. Going through KH1 on Beginner for the speedster, unchanging equipment and no continues trophies and the game crashed as I was rescuing Aladdin from the heartless. I did use Simba when it crashed and when I did it again without Simba it was fine. Probably a coincidence though.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
is there any hope that the devs are still combing through the code for a patch to fix more bugs and crashes?

Best thing to do first, IMO, is to collect Trinities and Dalmatians and treasure chests, make sure you've completed every available tournament (including completing them alone and doing the time trial), then getting to work on synthesis. Superbosses can kinda wait, IMO.

Thanks for the response. I know that theres a lot of extra shit you can do, I just wanted an opinion on where to start. I like the idea behind collecting all the trinities, and probably synthesizing items. I tried two of the side bosses, and I already know that Im not high enough level for them lol. Not gonna bother moving on until I get most of the extra stuff done, since I didn't bother with it as a kid.

JayEH

shit

really bummed out about this. was really anticipating this as the definitive edition yet the stability issues arent looking very good

Well it's probably the best version overall still. Besides the crash on this page I haven't seen any other mentions of it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
shit

really bummed out about this. was really anticipating this as the definitive edition yet the stability issues arent looking very good

I've now played through BBS and KH2 without a single issue.
This is the definitive edition. (PS4 pro)

Fauve

Well, just got my first crash. Going through KH1 on Beginner for the speedster, unchanging equipment and no continues trophies and the game crashed as I was rescuing Aladdin from the heartless. I did use Simba when it crashed and when I did it again without Simba it was fine. Probably a coincidence though.

https://www.khwiki.com/Kingdom_Hearts_HD_1.5_ReMIX/Bugs

During the fight where you save Aladdin in Agrabah, if you summon Simba and end the fight with him jumping around, the game tends to crash

This was a glitch in the PS3 version that probably went unfixed.

Top Bottom