• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD I.5+II.5 ReMIX |OT| Kingdom Hearts Final Port

Famassu

Agreed it's one of the best action games out there imo, i really really really hope KH 3 borrows more from KH2 gameplay wise than the ''spin off'' games. If so KH 3 might beat it.
That's what Nomura has said is the aim. It's a numbered title and as such it will function more like previous numbered titles. They aren't ignoring the portable titles & experimentation done in those and will carry over some features from those (though not necessarily in the exact same form), but all in all they are aiming for KHIII to be more like KHII than BBS/DDD in at least its basics.

silva1991

KH2 is truly the best in the series and it reaffirms my believe that its really one of the best action rpgs ever made, on Critical it just feels spot on in terms of difficulty never unfair (outside of a few fps glitches) and LW is still the single most impressive boss fight I've ever completed. It's a shame there is a way to cheese the thing honestly, wish it didn't exist and there was a separate trophy for beating it on Critical I'd be really curious to see how many people are able to do that.

Yessss. Actually I think it's one of the best action games period and not just action RPG.

whoever designed bosses in KH2 is genius.

Famassu

I'm almost done with first game, is CoM that bad for platinum?
It's not THAT bad in the PS4 version. Collecting cards & getting to lvl 99 is a grind but nothing too unmanageable. It's no White Knight Chronicles II...

The PS3 version? Yeah, it was horrible. You had to play the game through 6 times because difficulty trophies didn't stack.

Did they speed up how fast Vexen gathers data in this? I know it was super sped up when the game launched, but compared to videos I watched, I feel like it's faster still. I don't have enough MP for the AS fight right now, and it's insane. I can get the dude down to 3 health bars before he hits all 5 data bars. Then he just keeps using his DM every so often and I end up getting wrecked because I have nothing to restore MP with. Even when I go out of my way to stay out of the circle it still seems like the data is going up way too quick.

Because it was and still is a decent action RPG.
Agreed.

Recently completed it and besides the camera and Gummi Ship aspect it's still an enjoyable experience for me.

I was actually surprised how much people on here seem to dislike it.

Having now moved on to COM, I can see why people might not be too fond of that.

Is CoM worse on PS2 than on GBA? I thought it was one of the best GBA games when it came out, but I really didn't care for it when it was remade in 3D. I don't think it transitioned over quite as well.

I'm curious which version people prefer.

Afrocious

So I finally picked this package up a few days ago and started a level 1 critical run. I'm still in Land of Dragons. I gotta admit that this is a new experience being able to see running away from most enemies as a valid option since i'm not getting EXP.

This is probably my 6-7th run through KH2 and my 3rd run through KH2FM so I needed to do something different.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting through Level 1 Critical runs? So far I'm loving guard more than I ever did in the early game. That cave in the Land of Dragons? I had to be patient as hell to kill all the heartless in there solo (Ping was useless)

Is CoM worse on PS2 than on GBA? I thought it was one of the best GBA games when it came out, but I really didn't care for it when it was remade in 3D. I don't think it transitioned over quite as well.

I loved the game on GBA but despised it on PS2. Hated the lack of English lip synching and the game felt more boring since I'm stuck in front of my TV playing it as opposed of grinding on the go. Also it lost the 2D charm that even the improved soundtrack couldn't replace.

I prefer the PS2 version. Full cutscenes for the major story beats went a long way for me. Also being in a 3D space made it a lot easier to play for me. In the GBA version I found fights against some bosses like Maleficent and Darkside to be rough since I'd miss attacks due to not being lined up with them properly. 3D eliminates that issue. Also the two extra story bosses are cool.

Vertti

I loved KH1 as a kid. And I think it's still a pretty enjoyable game albeit some minor problems.

Pacing is great, soundtrack is as lovely as I remembered. Art direction is colorful, cartoony and does justice to its source material. Combat is simple but still decent.

My biggest gripes were really boring boss battles minus few decent ones (Riku 2, Ansem 2, Kurt Zisa) and cramped worlds with too much running back and forth. Camera and gummi ship stuff was only a minor nuisance imo.

I'd give it a solid 8. I really look forward playing KH2FM on critical mode. I played in on normal years ago it was wayyy too easy. I actually liked KH1 more as a kid but we'll see what happens now.

L.O.R.D

i am playing KH2 on PS3 right now,and i have a question about abilities that you gain in be clearing story events

will the order of gaining the ability will change according to the difficulty?

i am not talking about leveling up,i know leveling up abilities it has something to do with the first weapon i choose.

i am talking about clearing story events

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Kingdom_Hearts_II/Abilities

here there are two Abilities by Story Events.
so,both of them are true?

Banzai

I've "finished" the Mirage arena with Terra and Ventus, only missing the stuff that unlocks after beating all stories.

Whoever thought that hiding the ultimate keyblade and special bosses behind Rumble Racing and Command Boards was a good idea is a goddamn sadist.

I have done the 4 races twice now and will have to do them a third time. That's time I'm never getting back.
At least Command Board games can be kinda sorta entertaining somehow.

Edit: Oh wait, you have to do the first 3 races in Disney Town to even have them unlocked in the arena, too. What am I doing with my life.

Fauve

So I finally picked this package up a few days ago and started a level 1 critical run. I'm still in Land of Dragons. I gotta admit that this is a new experience being able to see running away from most enemies as a valid option since i'm not getting EXP.

This is probably my 6-7th run through KH2 and my 3rd run through KH2FM so I needed to do something different.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting through Level 1 Critical runs? So far I'm loving guard more than I ever did in the early game. That cave in the Land of Dragons? I had to be patient as hell to kill all the heartless in there solo (Ping was useless)

I loved the game on GBA but despised it on PS2. Hated the lack of English lip synching and the game felt more boring since I'm stuck in front of my TV playing it as opposed of grinding on the go. Also it lost the 2D charm that even the improved soundtrack couldn't replace.

Be careful about running away TOO much from enemies. Even though they don't give experience, those are drops you aren't getting (like items and synthesis materials).

Here are some tips I picked up on my level 1 run:

-Guard often, it works on so much attacks. I see this is something you picked up while playing already

Learn to love magic:
-Reflect is hilariously overpowered, use it a lot when you get it
-Magnet is great for crowds of enemies, and has some advanced applications
-Thunder/Blizzard is great for distant targets

-Limits are very powerful, and give tons of invincibility in dire situations

-Utilize summons as well. My favorite was Chicken Little who trivialized a decent amount of fights with his constant magnet-like attacks. Stitch gives unlimited MP, etc

-Learn to make use of items instead of relying on the Cure spell for healing. Potions are relatively inexpensive and having a full stock on you and your party (auto-refill helps keep them stocked all the time) keeps you healthy. Your MP is best left to using other spells or limits, and using Cure will get rid of all your MP. Save Cure for extreme emergencies. Have some ethers on hand as well; FYI it gives you a full MP restore when out of MP charge, and partial MP restore when in the red.

-Be careful about giving AP boosts to your allies. With the new abilities you get on critical mode, you might not be able to equip all of your abilities at once. Equipping all of Sora's abilities is more important than having all your party member's abilities on at once.

-Synthesizing is pretty helpful. You don't have to go all in on making an Ultima Weapon, but some of the stuff (items, gear) you can make as you progress can really help.

That's it from me, sorry if it got a little wordy. A Level 1 run is mostly about utilizing all your tools (and Sora has a LOT of tools at his disposal to make use of) properly in a given situation. Enjoy your run, it really is great fun even if it gets frustrating at times. The amount of satisfaction you'll feel after overcoming a really tough fight will feel great.

Tsunamo

I enjoy the GBA version for the sprites and it being the only one in the series that had them (Chi/Union doesn't really count for me)

But I love the PS2 remake for all the new sleights they added making the game more fun to break/play around with the mechanics with. The little additions that were made to Riku mode were pretty neat aswell. With that said though I enjoy them.

Did they speed up how fast Vexen gathers data in this? I know it was super sped up when the game launched, but compared to videos I watched, I feel like it's faster still. I don't have enough MP for the AS fight right now, and it's insane. I can get the dude down to 3 health bars before he hits all 5 data bars. Then he just keeps using his DM every so often and I end up getting wrecked because I have nothing to restore MP with. Even when I go out of my way to stay out of the circle it still seems like the data is going up way too quick.

last time i checked it's still the same speed

if you having trouble with his DM use one of donald limit to get you though it then

Narroo

I actually dont think kh1 gets good until you reach hallow bastion. 2 is solid throughout though..except space paranoids

You know, I kinda find that to be a contradiction. Hollow Bastion was great because it was a huge, challenging, level with good design. KHII is just a series of sets with a several forced generic battles with gimmicks. They're polar opposites.

I actually dont think kh1 gets good until you reach hallow bastion. 2 is solid throughout though..except space paranoids

This is true, and my impressions of the worlds in 1 are as follows.

Wonderland: Oh hey, Alice in Wonderland! This is cool. Hey, the tea par - huh? it's done?

Coliseum: Hercules!! Hey, Phil, let's get into... THE GAIIUUMMSS... Oh shit, it's Cloud! :O this is hype. Okay, done the Phil cup. Bring on the next one! Wait, we're done? Umm, okie.

Deep Woods: FUCK THIS LEVEL. Where do I go?? FUCK THESE VINES. Fuck these vines!! Oh sweet Jesus, I got Cure!! It was worth it :D

Agrabah: This sucks. Can I go to the Cave of Wonders? Yay, the cave!... This sucks.

Halloweentown: I love Nightmare Before Christmas! This is great :D

Monstro: whendoesthisendwhendoesthisendwhendoesthisend

Atlantica: [Intangible sequence of curse words strung together]

Neverland: This is acceptable... considering what just came before

Hollow Bastion: Ooooohhhhhh, this is the good level....

Aww come on, Tron is great! I had no idea what Tron was when I first played it, but it's visually interesting, Tron the character is portrayed very well, and it ties into the main plot better than any other Disney world.

As much as I loved the movie, Pride Lands is the worst KH2 level. Boring locations, awkward combat, awful Nala and Simba voice actors, and pointless plot retread of the movie.

The best KH2 Disney world is Beast's castle, followed by the Underworld.

As much as I loved the movie, Pride Lands is the worst KH2 level. Boring locations, awkward combat, awful Nala and Simba voice actors, and pointless plot retread of the movie.

if we are just talking about game play then Timeless river is the worst world

the fights there are so much ass

Meowster

Space Paranoids is fine. I mean, outside that light cycle segment. That was an utter chore on Critical.
This was always a nightmare for me but it became pretty easy for my Critical run once I realized you can just shoot their attacks right back at them.

I thought Timeless River had some clever settings for fights, like the construction site and the tiny town. It's the car heartless that ruins everything.

13ruce

Banned
Space Paranoids is fine. I mean, outside that light cycle segment. That was an utter chore on Critical.

Just thinking about it gives me nightmares, hopefully the 60 fps won't makes it worse lol.

Edit: i still have to play 2 in the collection.

Footos22

Kingdom hearts 1 platinumed. Was first time playing It on proud. So I didn't rush it as last boss gave me trouble with no upgraded key on normal. Still did it under 15 hours. Starting with shield and all last options is op. Aeroga is the only magic you need.

Jotakori

The save crashes in KH2 are total ass. I just had my second one, and it was after I'd FINALLY beaten #8 of Mushroom XIII too orz

Also, while I'm here, man is Jiminy's journal brutal to complete. The stubborn side of me really wants to unlock the secret ending scene but I'm so terrible at all these minigames and the coliseum tournaments wreck me every time. I don't know if I'm pro enough to make it lol

So does Roxas's dive to the heart in the begining technically in TWTNW because I don't know why the game is registering 13 minutes played there when I can't even land there yet.

Unless maybe one of the in engine cut scenes loading there triggers it.

So just to be clear, if I'm playing BBS on normal I need to find all the reports for the final episode and all the stickers for the secret episode after that?

silva1991

Vexen and Marluxia are down. Only two bosses left(Terra and Xehanort)

I also tried Cavern of Remembrance and couldn't even beat the first challenge/forced wave of enemies...

Vashetti

Banned
Vexen and Marluxia are down. Only two bosses left(Terra and Xehanort)

I also tried Cavern of Remembrance and couldn't even beat the first challenge/forced wave of enemies...

You say you only have two bosses left yet you haven't even beaten the Cavern of Remembrance.

Doesn't compute.

I think ive asked before, but it was a long time ago and im just now getting around to this game. What is the fastest route for platinum in KH 1? I did the platinum on ps3, but didnt they change the trophies here? a 100% run on proud, then speedster, unchanging and all that on an easy run? So only requiring 2 playthroughs now?

Finally got the drive forms leveled up to navigate the Cavern of Remembrance. I see the door at the end of the white hallway, but the final nobody onslaught has me dodging like

giphy.gif

I may need a few more levels to get through that last bit.

been a long time since I played a KH game, and my memory sucks. But in KH 1, why is the continue option taking me back to before the last time I even saved? Im in traverse town about to fight the boss, saved right before him. I die, and it takes me all the way back to the first part where u meet Leon. So then I have to quit out and load my save game. For some reason I remembered the continue option just putting u back at the beginning of the specific area where u died

been a long time since I played a KH game, and my memory sucks. But in KH 1, why is the continue option taking me back to before the last time I even saved? Im in traverse town about to fight the boss, saved right before him. I die, and it takes me all the way back to the first part where u meet Leon. So then I have to quit out and load my save game. For some reason I remembered the continue option just putting u back at the beginning of the specific area where u died
That seems wrong - it should take you back to before the boss like you said. Weird.

I died to that boss several times on the PS2 version when I played it for the first time and it put me back in the 3rd district.

Top Bottom