• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts HD II.5 ReMIX |OT| Press to pay respects

The Lamp

This is legitimately my dream come true.

I have been begging SE to localize KH2FM for 7 years now. I almost forgive them. I can't believe they waited this long to give us these games in HD.

FATALITY

Banned
Why would it ever be too late to try a new game series?

its just a perception i have. i think some games u have to play in the right time.
its like playing MGS and RE in the 90s, although i played shadow of colossus and ICO last year and it was so good.

its just a perception i have. i think some games u have to play in the right time.
its like playing MGS and RE in the 90s, although i played shadow of colossus and ICO last year and it was so good.

There were quite a few newcomers in the 1.5 OT and LTTP threads that loved the game. It certainly has some early PS2 era elements that show (clunky platforming, not quite optimal camera tho they did improve it for the HD release...) but there is a lot to love about it as well. Even if I do admit the faults of the game I cannot be completely unbiased since KH1 is my favourite PS2 game but I had just as much fun playing it on PS3 as ever. And it definately is one of the best looking HD remasters out there.

If you are a fan of Final Fantasy, Disney or both you should definately give it a chance. Or even if you want to give a chance to a pretty unique action RPG I would recommend it. It should be dirt cheap nowdays.

Kain

These games are pure eye candy and the production values are sky high, everything is just well done. Even if you don't like some aspects there's bound to be something everyone can enjoy, they are that good. Too easy? Play critical. Nonsense story? Skip the cutscenes and kill stuff (you can't get lost in 2 or BbS, well, maybe in the maze of Maleficient with Ven...). And visually they hold up perfectly thanks to the art style in a similar way Wind Waker does.

It's so great to see how the incompetents in charge of S-E have left the saga to almost die off even though the games sell great (is it possible they sell better than FF in the west?). They just can't do anything right.

Psxphile

60fps still makes me want to play KH2 on an emulator rather than PS3. The HD version just has the regular Final Mix stuff, right? No new shit?

Cause I mean goddamn, KH in 60fps is some magical shit

Isn't it (kinda) broken at 60fps like Valkyria Chronicles PC? Apparently Larxene data fight is borked in her favor at that framerate.

aravuus

Isn't it (kinda) broken at 60fps like Valkyria Chronicles PC? Apparently Larxene data fight is borked in her favor at that framerate.

No idea, didn't try fighting Larxene when I played with the 60fps patch applied

The main game worked just fine at least

overcast

I'll buy this game next Friday likely. I've been waiting a long time to give BBS a try. Wonder if I should just play KH2 FM first since I've only beaten the original once.

I'll probably never watch Re: Coded.

corn_fest

Okaaay, maybe I'll play KH2 on Proud, since I remember the first time around I never even had to block or use limits or anything...
This is going to be my decompression game after finals.

Almost forgot this was out so soon.

The crucial decision though - KHII or BBS! I liked BBS more... but it's a much longer game, what with 3 characters to go through (around 15 each on PSP and that was before doing extra bosses). What to do, what to do!

Ravage

This is legitimately my dream come true.

I have been begging SE to localize KH2FM for 7 years now. I almost forgive them. I can't believe they waited this long to give us these games in HD.

Yep, I've been waiting far too long for this.

glaurung

I really want to get this, but I know for sure that I will never be able to force myself to play through it again. So much grind days from the PS2 era.

Or should I...

silva1991

Just bought my copy ...

3X8b1c.jpg

too bad I have a test tomorrow so I won't be playing it today -___-

SerTapTap

I really want to get this, but I know for sure that I will never be able to force myself to play through it again. So much grind days from the PS2 era.

Or should I...

Doesn't Critical Mode reduce grind...if you can survive? I haven't played critical myself mind you, this is my first time with any of the final/HD mixes.

RetroMG

Huh... I totally forgot to pre-order this and I just realized that it's out today. Wonder if I'll be able to just walk into Best Buy and grab a copy.

Kyolux

Kind of bummed I won't be playing this for a while.

I tried booting my PS3 yesterday, and it was dead. shuts down seconds after boot, then blinking red lights. It was doing it once in a while over the last few months I used it (didn't really used it after dark souls II/blazblue CP).

I kind of don't want to buy a new PS3 right away, but I kind of also want to play this soon. Not sure what to do, but I'll have to get one again. I have over 60 physical PS3 games (and like a 100 digitals), not sure what I'd do with all of that without a PS3.

SerTapTap

Huh... I totally forgot to pre-order this and I just realized that it's out today. Wonder if I'll be able to just walk into Best Buy and grab a copy.

Should be able to call and ask if they have it in stock if you're worried

I tried booting my PS3 yesterday, and it was dead. shuts down seconds after boot, then blinking red lights. It was doing it once in a while over the last few months I used it (didn't really used it after dark souls II/blazblue CP).

Dang, that sucks. Only had one console die on me so far, fat PS3 (which effectively meant losing a PS2 and having to rebuy a PS3). Really sucks when it happens.

Kyolux

Dang, that sucks. Only had one console die on me so far, fat PS3 (which effectively meant losing a PS2 and having to rebuy a PS3). Really sucks when it happens.

It was a fat 40 gig bought when DMC4 came out. Bought after they removed PS2 compatibility, but before they added it back with the MGS4 bundle..

My PS2 died a few months after I bought my ps3, and now my ps3 died a few months after I got my PS4.. Maybe I should skip PS5?

I just wish there was a cheaper non-bundle PS3 out there. All I've seen is EB games "recycled" fat PS3s, which means traded-in right? I wouldn't trust those.

Doesn't Critical Mode reduce grind...if you can survive? I haven't played critical myself mind you, this is my first time with any of the final/HD mixes.
It's not Critical itself but Final Mix as a whole, compared to the US version. In FM it's way easier to level forms and farm items. The only thing that is severely nerfed is the removal of the Pride Rocks levelling spot, but it doesn't take too long to cycle trough the 4 boss rooms in TWTNW plus you get a lot of items in the process.

SerTapTap

Assuming I've only played KH2 (to completion), is it safe to play Birth By Sleep before any of the others without spoiling anything (that I didn't already spoil by playing KH 2 first)? I kicked off KH1.5 but it feels like a big commitment and I keep hearing positive things about BBS. I am trying to resist just replaying KH2.

It was a fat 40 gig bought when DMC4 came out. Bought after they removed PS2 compatibility, but before they added it back with the MGS4 bundle..

My PS2 died a few months after I bought my ps3, and now my ps3 died a few months after I got my PS4.. Maybe I should skip PS5?

I just wish there was a cheaper non-bundle PS3 out there. All I've seen is EB games "recycled" fat PS3s, which means traded-in right? I wouldn't trust those.

I dunno if non-BC fats are safer, but I wouldn't trust a fat PS3 anymore anyway. No issues with my slim, even if it is uglier and less backwards compatible. I just need to buy a PS2 again. Urg, the thought of getting used controllers makes my skin crawl though.

It's not Critical itself but Final Mix as a whole, compared to the US version. In FM it's way easier to level forms and farm items. The only thing that is severely nerfed is the removal of the Pride Rocks levelling spot, but it doesn't take too long to cycle trough the 4 boss rooms in TWTNW plus you get a lot of items in the process.

Oh, okay. This is my first exposure to the final mixes/new modes so I'm still not 100% sure what's what.

Critical makes a difference too because you get an extra Lucky Lucky.

SerTapTap

How sane would it be to just start on Critical mode? I've played KH2 before, but only at release. I do not recall having much trouble with combat difficulty-wise it at all.

Luigi87

How sane would it be to just start on Critical mode? I've played KH2 before, but only at release. I do not recall having much trouble with combat difficulty-wise it at all.

Perfectly sane... Unless you're planning a Lv.1 Critical run, lol
I find KH games adaptable. Start off hard, but then you get used to the difficulty as you play.

Hiko

Banned

You're going to try critical mode sooner or later. May as well be sooner.

NAPK1NS

Is the difficulty higher on normal KH2FM? The original run was mind-numbingly easy. Literally no use for summons.

Bladenic

One more day ugh. Think I'll go Proud first. Don't really wanna try the new content on Critical. For 1.5 I did normal first with all optional stuff done, but with the stackable difficulties here Proud would be quicker.

Heartfyre

Oh man, my anticipation is high. I only played Kingdom Hearts II once back in 2006, so I have almost no memory of it. I was reminiscing with a friend, and I mentioned how I was glad there was no Gummi Ship missions in KH2, only to be told that there were. That's how faded my memory is. My clearest memories are the end sections, since they were so impressive, and, oddly enough, grinding Drive Form levels in the Land of Dragons. I think the only thing I didn't do was the final Magic Carpet mini-game, for reasons that are lost to time for me. I think it had to be a perfect run for some reason, and I just couldn't do it.

I also only finished Terra's story in Birth by Sleep, so I have essentially two-thirds of a Kingdom Hearts game to play. Never touched Re:Coded either, so that's also new.

Despite being told to play Critical, I think I'll have to go Proud for a first playthrough, since I don't trust myself to remember the game well enough. Especially with all these new bosses in the Final Mix. I was so impressed with all the additions that KH1FM had, having played the original game about five times, but this seems like a level beyond that again. I'm confident that I'll be having an exciting month with it.

Namikaze

In case anyone else is wondering what the US Limited Edition box looks like (not my video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEdDiK28O6Q

I just know my LE from Amazon is going to get crushed.

Great timing lol, I was just going to ask if anyone had a picture of the NA LE box, this is even better. Kinda wish that had used that thicker box to include the art book for everyone, but oh well (I got the LE+CE anyways). Still glad that they did what they could to match the 1.5 LE box.

RPGCrazied

In case anyone else is wondering what the US Limited Edition box looks like (not my video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEdDiK28O6Q

I just know my LE from Amazon is going to get crushed.

Weird they couldn't put the peekabo window on the front of the case for the pin, like you can really see it when its on the back, and they easily could have put a softcover artbook in there with all that space.

Really wish 2.5 had an artbook case like 1.5 did, but oh well.

Top Bottom